Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

Shotgunned this thread over a few days after finding it, thanks for all the material and discussion.

RE: The perennial "who needs these recaps at the beginning of each book", my first introduction to the series when I was... seven, I want to say, was book #16. Not sure what that means beyond an individual data point, but it does mean some of my strongest memories of the series are of the internet book.

Always liked the fan theory that Visser Three was just broadcasting malice low-key at all times, it seems suitably theatrical for him... but anymore this just means I think of him as being constantly surrounded by the JoJo's Bizarre Adventure anime "menacing" sound effect writing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

I like getting the Yeerk POV. I kinda strongly dislike this book with Cassie making this grand bargain for one person's freedom and then... just kinda getting away with not having to pay any of it in the long run with a really absurd excuse for the morphing clock being reset?

Well, in Aftran's defense for thinking she'd be stuck as a caterpillar, she did say she only knew what a small child knew about Earth animals. :P

Be kinda great if the next time we saw Aftran see Cassie she briefly looked incredibly shocked, muttered something under her breath, and then just moved on.

gourdcaptain fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Apr 8, 2021

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

QuickbreathFinisher posted:

The chekov's leopard, I will say, was the goofiest part to me. She doesn't even acquire it!
Clearly, Visser Three thought this random leopard razor-focused on attacking one of their hosts must be an Andalite Bandit and sent all of his people to track it down to the exclusion of following any of the other leads in the book. :P

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

feetnotes posted:

Reading it now... yeah the team definitely just go about absolutely everything in the worst possible way.

This thread in a nutshell for me, basically.

Isn't David going to start doing weird creepy stuff in addition to cracking due to this? I almost feel it might be more interesting without that...

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Who is this mysterious person? No one is actually loyal to V3 because he treats everyone like poo poo.

I mean, there's the eventual Visser Two, but that's because Visser Two is a goddamn lunatic toady out of Dr. Strangelove.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

This and the internet book were the first two Animorphs books I ever read, picking both up at the same time when I was in elementary school.

It's kinda weird in retrospect to think that I branched out from the weird internet one and the middle of a trilogy to ravenously devouring the entire series.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

dungeon cousin posted:

Get to personally witness what happens to parasites and other organisms living in the body when they morph.

Actually, I wonder if it's related to how they can morph with tight clothing.

There is a canon answer to this in one of the ghostwritten books, where the Animorphs have been shrunken down and are inside Marco's bloodstream to save him from the tiny aliens that have taken him hostage, and he morphs into a cockroach despite orders not to because he's got rabies. They survive this, but it cures his rabies I think? It's a weird and shakey book, and I realized how weird something I just read as a child was even for this series when typing it out.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

I'm just still amazed they got owned partially by Visser Three's plan. That's got to be incredibly embarrassing. But yeah, I definitely feel a lot more "wow, absolutely nobody in the original Animorphs is doing a good job with the David situation" than I remember being as a child.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

So I misread a line in here as a child:

quote:

We took turns carrying the helpless rat out across the beach, across the breaking surf, out to the tiny, desolate rock a mile or more from shore.

as them dragging David through the surf as they went to hurt him further. Which made this even more hosed up for me as a child to think the protagonists just casually tortured him even more on the way out for kicks before the fate worse than death.

Not really sure if this means anything, but it's interesting to see something and realize you misread it decades ago.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

It's also interesting that a bunch of the Yeerks in the pool seem to actively dislike the experience of infesting someone and Espin notes he lived happily until that point. I'm wondering if part of the Yeerk's issues is that dealing with the incredibly smug Andalites looking down on them as their first contact gave the entire society an inferiority complex.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

Fuschia tude posted:

I think that dichotomy of experience of infesting in and of itself explains some of "the Yeerks' issues". Infesting for the first time inherently means a forced change in perspective—literally and figuratively—and some people just can't deal with that. Those who refuse or recoil are going to be the more passive or incurious; those who seek out hosts are going to be ambitious like Esplin. It's self-selecting for a certain type of personality.

Or Yeerks who are seriously wigged out by the captive host brain screaming at them or crying, that's gotta color the experience especially before the Empire'a propaganda machine has had time to go up to full swing.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

Maybe it's not a good idea for the Yeerks to have all their commanders in a literally linear numbered hierarchy so that the Mirror Chekov saying of "If you die, we all go up in rank." is true.

Dak Hamee's increasing "I'm goddamn tired of all of you jackasses" vibes throughout the book are remarkable.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

My theory to explain Esplin 9466 in this book and the Absolute Chronicles is that his rationality, sublety, and ability to keep his narcissism in check are proportional to his distance to away from an Andalite brain.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

I think the best part is Visser 3's "wtf" reaction followed by "oh god, those jerks" when he recognizes the Helmamacrons? It's a level/type of off-balance that's incredible to see from him.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

The "how the heck do we get down there" whale and squid chain is pretty cool, the rest was a meh but alright.

That said, I think this is setting up for Megamorphs 3 with the Drode/more Crayak stuff and which is coming soon and I remember being incredibly wild and should hopefully be fun to see again.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

I want to know about Tidwell and Illim's relationship, it's something interesting this book hints at with a few lines and I love to know more about stuff like that.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

ANOTHER SCORCHER posted:

I love how thoroughly unenjoyable Visser Three finds voluntary or semi-voluntary infestation to be.

Why is he even here? What made him show up for this routine infestation? Just to mess with his subordinates?

Maybe they found Elfangor's letter to Tobias? Not that it's really important.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

mind the walrus posted:

So Erek is the reason Rachel dies, however indirectly.

I have to know what the actual Erek King who won the contest to get his name into the books thinks about this, assuming he read this far.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

...somehow I still remember the results to this question decades later so I'm disqualified from this round. Have fun, people! :P

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

Okay, I don't remember this now so going to vote for "how is this possibly a good morph" the giraffe.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

I'm sure that the protagonist can control the parasol ant morph and reassert his individual consciousness.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

I believe in the giraffe, sure it seems useless, but that just means it'll come in clutch at the last second.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

Turn over the box. What's the worst that can happen, it's some kind of paperweight?

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

B?

I don't know why Everworld never hooked me, but if Epicurial does Remnants, I'll be there. I remember Remnants being a _weird_ mess.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

We have absolutely no idea what we're doing, so cockroach and chill.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

Continue mashing roach to solve all our problems.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

Amazed that even when the solution isn't roach, it's roach.

Anyway, let's ignore the alien city, we can probably get back to it later.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

What the hell are you even going to do with a shark on Lego skyscraper planet? I've got to find out. :P

Seriously, Toomin is so incredibly mad at You it's downright bizarre and comical.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

someone awful. posted:

i wonder why the writer decided to make it "you're fighting them again, but also you don't get your memories" instead of just... having it be the first time? they've had no problem shoving You into already-existing animorph stories until just now. seems weird.

let's take the obviously-wrong choice with the sea creature in it (A)!

Also this is Fake David You, so 26 wouldn't have even happened yet. Unless this is after David and they just tried again to recruit another kid who is extremely like David in-universe. Which uh... would be a hell of a thing for them to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

Refuse. One, actively choosing to do nothing and let the real protagonists handle it is a really funny option. Two, Cassie's like... sub-temporally grounded or something, she'll undo any timeline that's too messed up and be fine. :P