Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
Jake's entire thing is making cruel choices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
The topic does come up later in the series fwiw

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Big time spoilers for that Megamorphs book: So the Animorphs are sent back in time to the Cretaceous period thanks to a rip in time caused by an explosion. Throughout the book they discover that there were other alien races present on the planet earth co existing with the dinosaurs. The friendly aliens are broccoli themed. When they find out that the meteor is coming their way the aliens plan to blow it up with a suitcase nuke. Tobias was big into dinosaurs as a kid so he figures out that if the broccoli aliens blow up the meteor than they'll be the ones to populate the planet and human evolution will never begin resulting in no human race and erasing the future of the Animorphs as well. He convinces Ax to sabotage the nuclear bomb so that the broccoli aliens can't blow up the meteor headed their way, thus saving the future of humanity by killing two warring alien factions on Cretaceous earth along with the dinosaurs.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
The Prince Jake thing does become old but even as a young person I respected how the series committed to the bit, so my exasperation slowly became admiration.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
What's the alternative, waiting for them to possess innocent host bodies and wait for them to start shooting? Then the host gets hurt too.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
I started Animorphs when it was like 15 books in so the threat never landed for me. They had a lot more books to get through so the edginess just washed off me.

“Y-y-yeah you totally ate your boyfriend in another life you’ll never experience!!” Source: dude trust me. Thanks Visser Three

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
The important bit about Ax not killing Alloran is to show that these are still child soldiers with the emphasis on child. They're also still very new to war. This is only Book 8, they've been at this for what, 6 months? That's not much experience.

I think its unreasonable to expect a 13/14 year old to kill an adult face to face.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
Holy gently caress. I thought the Nice is Neat joke went to a completely different book.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
I never made the connection between Power House and Tool Time. In my neighborhood as a kid there was a super fundie church called Power House that barraged us nightly with commercials with handsome young pastors telling us to accept jesus and stuff. I thought The Sharing was using a church as a front in this book until I just read those posts. Gosh.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
Is this the first ghostwritten book?

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
I recall this book, and I feel the same way I did back then. Aftran is pissing into the wind, like a little girl is sitting there crying and punching Cassie trying to get away from her attacker, and Aftran is whinging about how hard it is to be a Yeerk? Give me a break, what a self serving lie. Yeerks can snivel about smug moralizing species when they stop enslaving children in the name of being a smug moralizing species.

e: realized this may have come off as too aggressive, so I want to add that I'm not angry at anyone here, I'm just disgusted by Aftran's arguments because they're the arguments of exploiters everywhere. "I deserve this because" etc

HIJK fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Apr 4, 2021

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
David is poo poo but its a believable kind of poo poo, same for the Animorphs. They're kids and they're bad at it. The consequences are magnified because of their circumstances. David should be sucking it up and getting serious but some people aren't capable of adapting to the kind of introduction he had.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Mazerunner posted:

You know, thinking about it a bit, but like, couldn't the Arn just... solve all the Yeerk's problems? Like, at the very least give em a non-sentient pretty good host body to use as a stop-gap while figuring out what alterations to the yeerks themselves they'd want.

I mean of course the yeerk leadership seems to just be all about domination and exploitation in all aspects, but, you know.

I am going off my vague memories of the books we haven't read but the impression I got was the Yeerks had never experienced a brutal back breaking war before. They also hadn't had distinct political factions before like the Yeerk Peace Movement vs the war movement. They're individuals and have individual experiences and not all of them like having hosts but they come off as being otherwise being incredibly uniform in their desires and response. Encountering humans changed everything for them because humans responded with total warfare even in the face of certain death, and Jake's ruthlessness along with Cassie's luck in giving them the morphing box forced them to splinter. Their initial forays into the galaxy were sweeps for them.

The idea of having alternative ways of getting what they want simply wasn't needed until they met a brutal resistance that forced them to consider alternatives.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
Yet again Yeerk forces are hamstrung by the fact that everyone is too terrified of Visser Three to think through problems like "should he actually be here right now?" he's so erratic and dangerous that they can't expect any consistency from him which means the Animorphs can just lie and it will be taken as true.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

e X posted:

Visser 3‘s characterization ages poorly throughout the series. He is basically cobra commander in the first few books and never really sheds the cartoonish over the top persona, even when the series gets much more nuanced.

To me, he sticks out like a sore thump. The series really tries to justify his behavior, but he is a black spot in an otherwise pretty well realized universe.

Yeah I don't blame you for thinking that. Especially after books like Hork Bajir Chronicles where he's supposed to be a smooth operator master mind.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
the Helmacrons rule and I will not see them slandered LONG LIVE HELMACRON

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
the helmacrons are the best, I love this book

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
g-gangtag yes

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
oh god this one
should be interesting

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
Welcome to nature, enjoy your stay.

This version of Marco seems a little flanderized when they're out in the civilian world where he's a little too quippy. However it does fit with the stressful situation they're in at the Arctic where he would turn it up to cope.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
26 is great, very excited for this!

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
This is great science fiction. I love this book so much, I think this might be my favorite Animorph book.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
I tried Everworld when I was part of the target demographic and my vague memory of it was a lot of bitter grim dark teens doing bitter grim dark things and even then it turned me off because I didn't think it was entertaining. Tell a goddamn joke once in a while.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Fuschia tude posted:

It feels unlikely for no one to realize that, though. Everyone fighting this war may be the new post-Seerow generation, born in space, but it also seemed clear from Visser Three's account in that book that they don't particularly care about or limit Yeerks' access to all their collected data. Putting this together is barely even 2+2. I guess it's theoretically possible that none of the pacifist Yeerks has also ever stumbled across this information from the H-B planet, but it feels like intentional ignorance by author fiat.

Pretty much. I figure its just one of those things that happens in a long running series like this.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
the Animorphs have been watching Howlers successfuly maim and attempt killing them and they would all be dead if they couldn't heal through morphing. Of course they'll be resentful towards the guy who is physically capable but ineffective.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
Ahh I remember this one being very entertaining.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
If this is the book I think it is then yeah, this will be interesting. I remember re-reading this one though because Ax was so funny in it.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Yeah its this one.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
I like this author and its a shame she didn't get to come back. She gave the Animorphs a good edge.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
Could be. I don't know the circumstances behind the scenes either but its disappointing to see talent not be utilized.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
I'm guessing the morphing process gave them bull testicles and they are not gelded like steer.

Wrt my morning rituals, I don't really have any. I do have a night time ritual where I consider the people I met today and try to beam good vibes to them before turning in.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
oh boy here we go
drums on the table top

e: oh yeah I had a dream last night about this thread. I dreamed that I was watching Ax in bull morph wander around a saloon for some reason, trying to walk through the halls and not get his horns stuck on anything. He was arguing with Marco because there was a human girl that had figured him out but wasn't a Controller. Followed him like it was a tv show and I know he got into some hijinks but I don't recall what they were now. When he was finished he declared the mission over and climbed into the back of a horse trailer. The entire time I was thinking "but this isn't how it went in the book." Everything was brown colored, including the dust in the air.

I was confused when I woke up and for a few minutes I was second guessing my own memory of this installment.

HIJK fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Sep 6, 2021

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
the tree hugger line stuck with me all this time but I didn't remember the context.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
Ohhh this one's really good.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
This is one of my favorite books in the series, I think it started my interest in medical dramas. I think House MD came out shortly after I read this and it ended up being one of my favorite shows.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
Polar bear Cassie owning the racist and Cassie doing brain surgery share the #1 Best Cassie Moment spot.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
You mean a book written by an American author for an American audience might be American centric?

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Fuschia tude posted:

Also, if he had any siblings, those changes would cascade out exponentially. And his parents potentially meeting and marrying other people, and having different children, would too.

Yah. It always gets messy like that with time travel stories. Personally I don't like them for that reason :v: though it is science fiction so time travel is going to happen sooner or later.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Mazerunner posted:

also there's this bit from Ax

...except Ax never had a conversation with V4 (or the Drode) to reveal this, that the Matrix was found at the construction site.

Probably there was a conversation between the two that was removed, but this bit was missed.

Ah good catch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
Little things like that always stuck out to me, I remember disliking this book because of stuff like that.