Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Epicurius posted:

This is a little thing, but I kind of like what the author does here; just the "I'm absolutely forbidden to go through the incredibly dangerous construction site and my parents would kill me. So I'm walking through there..." It strikes me as kind of funny.

It is the casualness that sells it. There;s no discussion, no "well, I'm grown enough to make my own choices", no drama at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Besides that, this is pre-Harry Potter kidlit. There was a pretty strong limit to how long a book the publishers would even consider.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Epicurius posted:

One thing that the books don't shy away from is the display of emotions, and this is a pretty good example of terror.

I think this is a case where it being kidlit helps a lot. An adult writer would have an easy time falling back on cliche depictions of terror, but most of those are very inappropriate in a kid's book. That means you have to be more creative.

Also, this is extremely violent by 1990s kidlit standards.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Did our hero just leave an innocent homeless man to be brutally murdered as a distraction?

Scholastic published this?

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

CidGregor posted:

The 90s were a different time, man. Stuff that was ostensibly 'for kids' had some legit terrifying/disturbing parts. Even Disney poo poo. Hell, especially Disney poo poo. Looking at The Lion King through a modern lens, that kind of nazi-ish imagery and elaborate major character death scene would never fly with a G rating these days. Or the hot spicy racism of Pocahontas. Or the old man sexual predator vibes of Hunchback.

So yeah, Animorphs REALLY didn't pull any punches.

I was a kid in the early 90s. I remember major moral panics over far less than we've alrready seen here.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Epicurius posted:

it's kind of interesting that, for the short time he interacted with Jake, Prince Elfangor is the one part of the memory of last night that sort of anchors Jake to what happened. He's the one good experience of that night.

It makes sense to me. Everything else is horrifying, or just so out there that it is simply hard to wrap your head around. Elfangor's death, on the other hand, is tragic, but extremely noble - he sacrificed everything to give them a chance.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Okay, this took a distressing turn.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Epicurius posted:

We had seen Tobias's tragedy earlier...mother dead, father missing, bounced around between aunt and uncle. Now we see Marco's. His mother's dead and his father's fallen apart. And it's interesting how these two characters tragedies lead them to completely opposite attitudes. Tobias has nobody who he cares about or cares about him. So he's gung ho about this...it gives him a reason to continue, it gives him a mission, a purpose, it gives him a family. Marco, it's the opposite, because its just his dad and him, and he feels a responsibility to his dad that takes up his life. So, he's got that sort of responsibility, which is consuming him.

This is really neat. Having two characters get different outlooks from very similar traumas is something that not a lot of authors would do.

quote:

Cassie is good. And she figured out away around the whole naked thing.

Finally, something that I expect to see in a YA series!

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

This scene would have really ticked me off as a kid. You can turn into a lizard! Why are you paying admission?

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

It was ballsy as hell for a kidlit series like this to end in an unmitigated defeat. You would expect a draw or a small victory to hook the audience, then maybe have them take a L four or five books down the line.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Any other series, I'd expect this Melissa person to be Taken, or else quickly switch to the Good side and remove the moral ambiguity.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Epicurius posted:

So what's your prediction for what will happen here?

Going by what we've seen before, Melissa's going to get ground to paste between the two sides, and Rachel will be extremely guilty about it for the remainder of the book.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Kchama posted:

This has summed up why I always liked Marco even early on. And why he's such a critical component of the team.

To not only buck that "The Complainer Is Wrong" trope, but to almost announce it, has a pretty interesting degree of self-awareness. Particularly since that was still a big thing in kid's media when these were new.

((EDIT because I accidentally posted))

You could see this in the first book, even, with his pessimism about the attack on the school pool. I didn't really put my finger on it until Epicurius spelled it out, but it has quite obviously been there from the beginning.

Gnoman fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Jun 5, 2020

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Dolphins and whales as super-intelligent creatures was pretty common in 90s media, from what I remember.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

QueenOfTheEvening posted:

because nobody thought kids could handle a longer book

This is literally the case. Most publishers tossed Rowling out the door because the first HP book was "far too long" for kids to read on their own.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Why were these never on the banned books list again? That was pure slaughter.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Epicurius posted:

So, can people think of bad guys who are good bosses? Because I''d think that would make them more effective villains.

Grand Admiral Thrawn form the old Star Wars EU qualifies -but like Scorpo he was a deliberate subversion.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Somehow the most striking part of that cover is Tobias just kind of there. Almost looks like some weird kid stuck a bird sticker on it.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

The notion of going through all this trouble to go to a movie theater feels kind of quaint today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Tree Bucket posted:

"And that would ruin the entire movie experience" is the best line so far.

Also, regarding the Andalite leader nicknamed "Old Hoof and Tail"- wasn't there a WW2 general nicknamed "Old Tooth and Nail"? I'm sure I remember reading that somewhere, but my googling is weak.

Patton was allegeldy called "Old Blood And Guts".