Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I can't tell if it's Tobias or Jake who has the better plan for an alien. "This is awesome!" vs. "The first alien can't die! He's too important!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

In general, these kids are really accepting of everything going on.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I think the biggest problem is the way the exposition is delivered. For someone who's mortally wounded and in immediate peril, Elfangor sure has a lot of time to calmly explain the entire plot.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Gnoman posted:

Did our hero just leave an innocent homeless man to be brutally murdered as a distraction?

Scholastic published this?

Somehow it actually gets darker. I remember a later book where they morph into ants and get seriously hosed up in a fight with an ant colony, nearly dying and/or getting locked as ants forever, and Marco finds a decapitated ant head still with its jaws clamped around his hip in the shower later.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The writing is pretty simple, but this book is already dealing with way heavier stuff than you would expect from it. "They never found the body" isn't an average sentence halfway through a kids' book.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Poor Cassie, thought of ants and morphed.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

One interesting thing about the dynamic here is that in a lot of other books, Tobias would be the viewpoint character and ultimate protagonist of the series. He's the kid with the tragic background who's really latched onto the alien thing and is embracing all of his powers and the mission much faster. While Jake has been given the leadership role, he's much more of a skeptic and still undecided on what to do. Tobias is sticking around to hear extra info and already trying to hunt down Yeerks from the first minute.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I like how quickly Applegate gets psychological, with the drive to repress your humanity and give in to the simpler but more pleasurable animal instincts.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Not as creepy as the feeling of swallowing a live spider whole and having it still writhing in your stomach.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7u0wg3t6osM

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

One of the benefits to using inhuman aliens: nobody gives a poo poo if you gruesomely crush them into bloody pulp in full detail.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Tobias being morph-locked is implied as an accident in the last chapter of the first book, but did he do it on purpose?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Epicurius posted:

So fun fact. "It was a dark and stormy night" began its existence as the first line of Edward Bulwer-Lytton's novel Paul Clifford. Bulwer-Lytton has a reputation of being a really bad writer; probably worse than he deserves, and there's a contest named after him; the Bulwer-Lytton Fiction Contest. You win by submitting "the opening sentence to the worst of all possible novels."

Last year's winner won with "Space Fleet Commander Brad Brad sat in silence, surrounded by a slowly dissipating cloud of smoke, maintaining the same forlorn frown that had been fixed upon his face since he’d accidentally destroyed the phenomenon known as time, thirteen inches ago. "

That's intense.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Avalerion posted:

Said it earlier, they should have kept that rifle.

Would a gorilla have enough dexterity to use a gun I wonder?

How thick are their fingers?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Getting side-eyed by a dove.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Finally, something about transforming into wolves that isn't racist.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGwWNGJdvx8

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

We need a book where the aliens give a unit of time that their universal translator has given them but is actually wildly off from the real time.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

It looks to me like the real solution to keep Tobias in check is for the Animorphs to make bulk purchases of birdseed.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The Hork-Bajir just has his feet against the canopy and knees against his chest, with a look of grim determination.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

During this secret war in which aliens are mind controlling humans, why do the resistance not merely tell the government what's happening?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

A loving kid’s series is better written than Twilight.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

QuickbreathFinisher posted:

This is a complete tangent and has nothing to do with the interesting ethical discussion y'all are on, which I wholeheartedly enjoy, but I feel like this is the second or third time already that there has been a "nearly electrocuted bird" at Cassie's barn. It seems to be a different bird every time.

How are all these birds surviving near-electrocution? I thought it was pretty much just scorched talons on a wire if a bird completes the circuit. Maybe I don't know as much about bird electrocution as Cassie. Are the Yeerks going around torturing birds with electric weapons? :tinfoil:

I don't remember if this happens but it would be interesting if Cassie's parents start suspecting something weird is going on as the number of animals with weird injuries starts increasing. Feel like all kinds of wildlife is getting scorched and slashed and half eaten by giant centipedes already. I feel like I remember this being a minor plot at some point.

The Yeerk cops are freaking out and tasing passing birds. An Internal Affairs investigation (surprisingly, no Yeerks involved) has determined that they felt their lives were threatened.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Cythereal posted:

Well. We do know now that they're sex-crazed thrill killers who torture animals to get high...

What? Nobody ever told me life was gonna be this way!

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Transforming into a dolphin should really just turn the kids into utter sociopaths.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Avalerion posted:

Telling and warning people about the yeerks is literally what the dying andalite told the kids to do, as someone remembered earlier, though. :allears:

The Andalites clearly have no familiarity with ACAB.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Manages to be less obnoxious than the Furlites of Aroriel, that's for sure.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Is this the book with the ants?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

disaster pastor posted:

How to get extra-disturbed as a youngster reading Animorphs:

1) read about Jake's face splitting as part of the lobster morph
2) go online and find a close-up image of a lobster's face
3) try to imagine how a human face would have to split and sprout to become a lobster's face
4) nightmares

Now, 20+ years later, you don't even have to imagine, there's probably a website that will animate it for you.

There's also this behind the scenes footage of The Thing prequel!

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

This book is loving horrifying.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

OctaviusBeaver posted:

Shame it's not lobsters, I like the image of 6 lobsters crawling into Chapman's front door in a line while he blithely ignores them.

Chapman has become a Jordan Peterson fan in his time on Earth.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Would you believe it gets worse from here?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Yeah, this was the part I remembered. These books ramp up hard.

Also, the thing about Ax being surprised that humans know what computers are reminds me of the "cool concept, crap execution" series The Salvation War. It's about the Rapture, but it turns out the demons have only decided to keep tabs on humanity once every few centuries to see how their progression has gone. They show up only to find out that humanity has gone from muskets and pikes to tanks, cruise missiles, and supersonic fighter jets and haven't done any kind of prep for that leap, causing the Rapture to instead turn into an invasion of Heaven and Hell.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

To give an example, Halo. The Covenant is so much more technologically advanced than humanity that the war is basically a curbstomp in their favor. The only reason humanity wins at all is because their religious indoctrination ends up running into reality at one point and causes a civil war. If it weren't for that, the series would be just humans being ground into nothing with no resolution.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

This is like that moment in Thunderball where Bond just keeps saying "spectre" over and over in a conversation with a SPECTRE agent to see if he'll panic.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

From the human perspective, that was no different from a regular roach infestation.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

This felt relevant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I’m too drunk to safely imagine the details of this morph.