Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

The Helmacrons are dumb as hell but hilarious and I love that Visser 3 recognized them. They're basically galactic cockroaches that scream about being CONQUERORS when you can solve them with a can of Raid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Oh poo poo is this the introduction to Crayak? I don't think I ever read it so I kinda had the most context for him from Elfangor's Secret and The Ellimist Chronicles.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

freebooter posted:

There is a very cool (and frankly creepy) little website here where you keep scrolling down and it shows you all the different species that live deeper in the ocean:

https://neal.fun/deep-sea/

I'd seen this link before but never fully scrolled on it. Thanks, it was horrifying! I especially didn't like knowing how deep some seals dive.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

I'd always kinda read the Drode as something feminine. Anyway, I remember reading this book and really liking it as a kid, mostly owing to the Drode being present just to jeer and be rude in the middle of this fight.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

The solidarity of Marco and Cassie, both incredibly in love with Jake.

I think when I read this one, it was out of any sort of order so it was my first introduction to the Drode. It's an excellent introduction of the character.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Fuschia tude posted:

Even post-Columbine, my high school had no metal detectors, just one cop on campus all the time that was called the "Student Resource Officer" IIRC

Same, I went to high school in the mid-late 00s and no school in my city had metal detectors or anything more than the Resource Officer.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Just normal YA fiction things, like killing your mother.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

This.... isn't what I remember of this book at all. I might be conflating a few of them in my head, but I guess this means I'm strapping in!!!

Yeah, same. I think I got this confused with the book that introduced Erek, where Tom goes on that retreat with the Sharing?

This is firmly in iffy territory for me re: if I read it as a child.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Ah gently caress, I didn't realize this was the Starfish one. Now I know why everyone was so down on it earlier.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Can confirm it rules, that's my favorite book in the series.

I think it's still contained to the same galaxy, with the exception of Crayak?

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Y'all talk big game about Visser being good so I'm excited to finally read it.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

You guys ever feel like Falcon Georg is involved in a suspicious amount of exotic animal attacks for someone that runs a convenience store?

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

The next one is really weird to have right on the heels of Megamorphs 4.

Did we need another Jake-centric time travel scenario this quickly? Or was this just an accident of the placement of M4?

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

nine-gear crow posted:

At last we finally reveal Jake’s worst, most crippling, irredeemable character flaw. His favourite Star Wars movie is The Phantom Menace.

In his defense he's like 14.

Also he fights aliens a lot so I understand wanting to just spend a day at the races with aliens instead.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

The Ellimist Chronicles is probably my favorite in the series. It's the only book of it I still own.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Just remember guys, when you pick your gamertag you better be prepared for that to be your name for all eternity.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

I remember the copies of the other Megamorphs/Chronicles in my elementary school library being big hardbacks, and then the Ellimist Chronicles being a dinky little paperback the same size as the normal books. It made this one feel more approachable than the others.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

CidGregor posted:

Gotta say, from the perspective of a new reader, I was 100% expecting Menno to turn out to be Crayak, and then expected Father to be Crayak, and now they're both dead and I have no idea what the gently caress to think.

So, you know, par for the course with this book, at least.

God I remember reading as a kid and being certain of Father being Crayak too, especially with that chapter break between in Chapter 18 and Chapter 19.

I love the image of this winged, technological horror emerging from Z-space and immediately talking to these warring races the way one talks to two wrestling kindergarteners.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

God I almost want to do that myself. I have very vague memories of the show airing when I was a child, but nothing really substantial.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Welcome home! Get hype, we're on our way to the end.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Vandar posted:

These two chapters just loving kill me.

Every time. Every single time I read that final conversation with the Ellimist it just...breaks me.

Yeah, the part where Rachel says "I wanted so much to live. I wanted so much to stay and not to leave" getting followed-up with her sincerely asking if she matters in the end just rips me open. Rachel is my favorite animorph for a number of reasons, but her final moments with the Ellimist are really what hands her that trophy.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

I got kinda misty-eyed at the image of Tobias flying off with Rachel's urn.

Rip Rachel, who mattered.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Nothing bad has ever happened to an Animorph as a fly, right?

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

What could possibly go wrong with a giraffe on the loose?

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Oh darn, let's go with the pig I mean dog

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Always on board with more colony creature horror so I am definitely voting parasol ant.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Show me the monkey.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

We tried small, let's go big. Jaguar.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Mama didn't raise no bitch, we gonna read it.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

It doesn't help that this is requires reader input, whereas I'm content to silently read Everworld. I suppose I should be more vocal about my opinions from chapter to chapter!

Anyway this is a dumb choice with no context and I hate it. B.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

After the first CYOA I just kinda started skimming. Y'all weren't kidding when you said they fuckin sucked.

This has been a great three years of revisiting some books I loved as a kid. Thanks for the thread, Epicurius. And for the finale, nine-gear crow!