Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Radio Free Kobold posted:

I wish we had more time inside the mind of a Good Boy
Scholastic apparently thought having the two weirdest kids being regular narrators was too much and that readers wouldn't like them lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Daikloktos posted:

I like that they used up all the impressive morphs by the end of the series so when poo poo starts heating up towards the finale the covers are like duck, beaver
The cover of the last book is amazing and I wish more of the book covers were just homages to rock albums.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Ytlaya posted:

I forgot about the use of "dip" as an insult in the 90s. I remember one time some teenager was babysitting me as a kid and I mistakenly broke his Exo Squad action figure and he called me a dip.
Of course he did, it's Exo Squad.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

^^^ Controller account spotted

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Silver2195 posted:

I think Applegate wanted to add some challenge to the process of acquiring powerful morphs, so it wouldn't feel like she was making things too easy for the protagonists. But yeah, the tension is a bit artificial and doesn't really work.

Arguably if Jake got caught sneaking around a zoo, and one of the "Andalite bandits" morphs an animal Jake was sneaking around near, Tom might put two and two together. Though IIRC the Yeerks tend to be pretty bad at putting two and two together like that.
When they say the Yeerks are everywhere, they mean it; throughout the books the kids encounter Yeerk Controllers in a wide variety of professions in a lot of different locations. They basically have no way of telling anyone in the zoo staff is a Controller, so it's best to avoid the attention.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Epicurius posted:

I love Visser-Three. He's so proud of himself.

Image in spoiler tags just in case.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

I didn't read this series as a kid. I only remembered it when I saw that silly virgin/chad meme with harry potter. Now I'm about 10 books in and loving it. Probably my favorite scenes are later on when they get very Star Trek and start debating the morality of their actions against the Yeerks.

Looking forward to you getting to book 5 in particular. :unsmigghh:

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Gnoman posted:

Going by what we've seen before, Melissa's going to get ground to paste between the two sides, and Rachel will be extremely guilty about it for the remainder of the book.
Oh, man, we're not even up to the dark books yet.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

That punchline from Marco was when I got hooked to the series. Perfect dark humor.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Epicurius posted:

In terms of total size. we find out in Visser that humans outnumber other races by orders of magnitude. When Visser One reports to the Council of Thirteen that Earth contains almost 6 billion people, they mishear her and think she says 6 million, and that itself is enough to make it a high priority target. When they realize she said 6 billion, they don't believe it at first, because they can't imagine that many people on one world.
It's mentioned in The Capture that Earth has an almost insane amount of biodiversity compared to the Yeerk homeworld. In the Andelite Chronicles Elfangor mentions that there's only three species of birds on the Andelite homeworld

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Ednamamame posted:

My dream is a Netflix animated series, but even then I can't see that getting away with some of the same stuff the books did. The first-person narration really manages to sell the horror in such a personal, visceral way. Especially the risk of death of self, such as what Tobias goes through here and it gets so much worse in the next few books with the ants in 5 and Jake's Yeerkification in 6.

This section hit me hard as a kid, but as an adult I'm kind of in awe at how heavy the writing got here while remaining easy to read for the age of the audience.
Cassie has an amazing monologue about the nature of, well, nature in one of her books and you really couldn't translate that into a tv show, even an animated one. The kids' occasional monologues are all so, so good.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Sjs00 posted:

I'm interested in how the Hork-Bajir manages to strap into the seat
There's a scene later on that shows the Andelites don't have seats in their ships, they just stand and brace.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Radio Free Kobold posted:

I bet he does. I mean, he hits basically every other item on the "lovely Boss" checklist.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

PetraCore posted:

Elfangor is the best character to die immediately in the first book as a tragic mentor
Every time someone mentions Elfangor's heroic sacrifice I remember Boba Fett smashing into a wall and then falling into the sarlaac pit and it's basically just as dignified a death.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Not to mention existing authority figures are shown to be infiltrated - police, their high school - their decision to go on hit and runs makes a lot more sense
As the story goes on, more and more random people turn out to be controllers it's to the point that it's basically a coin flip.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Cassie's monologue on nature in her next book is one of the better parts of the series.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

QuickbreathFinisher posted:

Interesting to think about whether the news would play this segment if the station had been taken over by Yeerks. I think it's fair to assume that the Yeerks wouldn't broadcast that info if they had control, unless they want to lure out the "Andalite" bandits. There's no way for the kids to really know, for sure. I can't remember how this resolves other than the broad strokes, so it will be cool to see.
My guess is that the Yeerks are more broadly spread out, infiltrating as many professions and roles as possible, instead of focusing on just new reporters and the like.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Visser Three is great because it's pretty easy to see that all the times he conveniently appears and spots the Animorphs is because he's insanely paranoid and flips out over random animals all the time.

There's something definitely off about him. No other Yeerk comes off as that crazy.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

This guy has put more thought into their plan than any of them have

It's pretty much a recurring theme isn't it? Flying by the seat of their pants and half-assing everything?
They're thirteen

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

They could adopt book 1, big loss and all, and end on a cliffhanger.

It worked for Alita

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

If you move to B+R, I have an Animorph Let's Read set up already, but I'd love having a second one if you want to keep going.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Epicurius posted:

Yep.

In the TV show, Marco was played by Boris Cabrera, one of the few American actors in the cast. He left acting in 2004 and is now a personal fitness trainer.
The real Big Jim has logged on.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Everyone thinks Ax is attractive.

SardonicTyrant fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jun 28, 2020

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

The ants are nothing compared to the termites

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Epicurius posted:

It is handy the author gave Ax an innate time sense. A lot less inconvenient than Tobias's watch
I will not tolerate any slander of the bird watch :colbert: :3:

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

I've heard The Ellimist's actions make more sense when you realize he/it represents the military industrial complex

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

PetraCore posted:

Imagine being a yeerk soldier, intelligent and cunning, a full adult with adult responsibilities, expecting to at least get an adult body and hopefully someone interesting or strong.

Anyway, you get Tom and have to go to high school.
This is actually something that happens in a later book.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

When do they do their first 'official' war crime? Book Seven?
It's actually this book.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Starsnostars posted:

This book has mostly been bad but for Marco's driving it's a price I'm willing to pay. The line about the police merely being surprised by elephant Rachel bursting out of the house was great too.
May I ask why you think it's bad? I thought it was a pretty strong book. There's an interesting conflict, it's got more action than the previous books, and the most memorable scene in the franchise.

In contrast, I thought the next Megamorphs book was unfocused and uninteresting, despite what sounds like an amazing premise.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Epicurius posted:

The Alien-Chapter 9\

Humans have very odd tastes. They think their music is beautiful. They are wrong. It is awful. All of it. And they completely ignore their greatest accomplishments: the cinnamon bun, the Snickers bar, the hot pepper, and the refreshing beverage called vinegar. - From the Earth Diary of Aximili-Esgarrouth-Isthill
I found this kind of odd, since In The Andelite Chronicles, Elfangor chills out listening to The Rolling Stones

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

I mean, they're 90s kids, they're at the end of history and things are looking up.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Gun Jam posted:

Openly negotiating and lying through the metaphorical teeth is only one option. Being honest about what you want is another - "Hello, we are aliens, we want to purchase slaves from you. Can we make a deal?" could very well be met with "what do you have to offer?".
Problem could be the Yeerk empire psych - talking ain't the first option, not when conquest or infiltration could do.

e: of course, considering what happened last time they saw a primitive culture being uplifted (namely, themselves), might makes them wary about giving anybody things.
To be fair, they don't know humans that well, even up to this point in the series, so they wouldn't realize our leaders absolutely would sell us out for power.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

That said, skunks only spray if they feel threatened. Otherwise they're pretty friendly animals. Some people even adopt them as pets.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Epicurius posted:

I...I don't know what you mean. I'm a normal human like you. My hobbies include not being an autotroph, walking on human legs, enjoying vision and hearing, and spending time with other inferior lifeforms who don't have a destiny to conquer the galaxy.
You are walking across the desert when you see an andelite lying on its back. You could help the andelite by turning it right side up, but you don't. Why?

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I'm glad I'm not the only one who was inspired by this thread to order the graphic novel :v:

It is funny though just how much of a resurgence in Animorphs there's been lately between the movie announcement, the graphic novel release, and of course the general uptick in remembrance and discussion of the series (Such as this thread). I'm glad to see it though, it was a great series and really ahead of its time in a lot of ways.
I remember seeing them in the old scholastic catalogs they'd hand out in school, but I never read them then, I thought the covers were goofy and took it at face value. What got me to give the series a glance was that dumb Virgin Harry Potter / Chad Animorphs meme. I'm easily amused, but the animorphs books seriously impressed me.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

At this point there are two sides of Jake: The one that likes playing basketball and fetch with his dog, and the one that in another life would go on to topple a foreign government