Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Pick the winner
This poll is closed.
Maxime Vachier-Lagrave 2 13.33%
Ding Liren 8 53.33%
Anish Giri 0 0%
Sasha Grischuk 1 6.67%
Kirill Alekseenko 0 0%
Ian Nepomniatchni 2 13.33%
Wang Hao 0 0%
Fabiano Caruana 2 13.33%
Total: 15 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I would love to see Nepo in a world championship match against Carlsen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Worth mentioning also that I think Nepo is the only candidate with a positive record against Carlsen in classical.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
If MVL goes on to win it all there will be a lot of thinking about how it might be an advantage to get drafted in as a last-minute replacement because it means your opponents haven't prepared for you.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Mukaikubo posted:

He did. Unfortunately there's not a good way to fix it this cycle. I'd be sympathetic to giving him an automatic makeup Candidates berth in 2022, but do you take away the WC slot and FIDE just has to swallow the loss of money from being less attractive to organizers, take away one of FIDE's own precious tournament slot ways to qualify, or make it a 9 man tournament in 2022? I would think FIDE would do the clumsiest possible thing and that'd be 9 man Candidates.

They could either openly or secretly guarantee him the wildcard slot if he doesn't qualify through the regular tournament season.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Hand Knit posted:

This is looking like it could be the day where candidates more or less wraps up. There are still three rounds left, but Nepomniatchi is cruising to an easy draw against Caruana, and the other two people chasing him (already a full point back), Giri and Vachier-Lagrave, are both in trouble in their games.

This is great news because Nepo-Carlsen is by far the matchup I would be most excited for.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Hand Knit posted:

Looks like Ding self-destructed against Giri so we've got a tournament yet.

Boy were we all wrong in our "pick the winner" poll itt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Yeah I'm quite excited for Carlsen-Nepo because Nepo plays like a crazy person so the games should be interesting one way or another. I'm very glad Caruana didn't get another shot because I'm bored to tears by his strategy of memorizing engine lines 40 moves deep and then settling for a draw as soon as he has to think for himself.