Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

French Canadian posted:

What else is out there? I'm down with Steam, but I don't want super intense D20 games and poo poo. Just easier stuff that is like 1-2 hours of play time. I'm thinking Forbidden Island would be fun if it was online!

edit: I see Tabletopia on Steam looks kinda neat and each board game is only about $6 which is reasonable on a per-person basis. Anyone tried that?

edit: Explored Tabletopia a bit more and it's pretty cool. For $3.50 you can get like 7 days of all the premium content and your friends don't have to pay to join premium/expanded games. Interface is pretty easy and they have a bazillion modern board games.

Tabletop Simulator is the more expensive 20 bucks per person, but has a confoundingly deep workshop section. It's full featured to the point where I'd say it's the best way to play complicated board games, because when you break for the evening, you can save the table and close the program, all those fussy tokens don't move without having to abandon the dining room table for a week.

It came out five years ago, and has been slowly adding features ever since. Nowadays it supports decals onto cards for legacy games, an in platform music player that plays synched for everyone, and VR, because why not. Most games are supported by fans on the workshop, but there are a few really nice professionally designed DLC board games, and even the amateur games often have scripted setup.

There used to be a small group of like ten goons who played random board games fairly regularly, but it broke up due to scheduling conflicts. We're all stuck indoors, I can't go to Redcap, who wants me to teach them Tragedy Looper? Lookin' for three players, Tragedy Looper rules. Or ticket to ride. Necromunda? C'mon where'd everyone go, I know it's not a party, someone teach me Panamax.

e: Poking about with Tabletopia some, it seems like a much more polished experience at a cost of what makes tabletop games so distinctive from their digital counterpoints. For example, in Burgle Brothers, the Tabletopia implementation puts a random character out for you, because the rules say you don't pick your character. In Tabletop Simulator, you can pull whatever card you want out of the box. You can doodle on a image and upload your own custom character. You can import an investigator from Aarkham Horror. You can also delete cards, get rules wrong, or move pieces you're not allowed to move, because TTS is a series of 3d elements that you can move freely if you really want to.

Also a LOT of TTS Workshop elements, uploaded by amateurs and enthusiasts with no oversight, are made of 36dpi scans from the 90s, or the service they uploaded the images on have since deleted them. TTS is my jam, but it's a land of contrasts and probably Tabletopia would be better for playing with people who don't play many video games.

https://www.fanatical.com/en/game/tabletop-simulator

Found it for sale, half off.

Mystic Mongol fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Mar 24, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU