Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

French Canadian posted:

Yo goons. I want in on this thread.

Wife and I are self-imposing lockdown and live in Wisconsin. But we have friends who are truly locked down in California.

We want to play board games via THE INTERNET, a la Ticket to Ride (which I just discovered can be played online).

I went so far as to set up a series of webcams to do a self-broadcast game but then I realized the internet is pretty powerful and maybe just doing fully online versions but adding in a Zoom or GChat for a more personal experience or whatever is a better way.

So...Ticket to Ride via https://www.daysofwonder.com/online/en/play

What else is out there? I'm down with Steam, but I don't want super intense D20 games and poo poo. Just easier stuff that is like 1-2 hours of play time. I'm thinking Forbidden Island would be fun if it was online!

Also it would be great if only one person had to buy the game you know? Is that possible? I don't want to make everyone shell out $20 at this very moment (maybe later when like the whole country is under siege).

edit: I see Tabletopia on Steam looks kinda neat and each board game is only about $6 which is reasonable on a per-person basis. Anyone tried that?

edit: Explored Tabletopia a bit more and it's pretty cool. For $3.50 you can get like 7 days of all the premium content and your friends don't have to pay to join premium/expanded games. Interface is pretty easy and they have a bazillion modern board games.

You are in exactly the same position we are. We have good friends on the other side of the country that we want to do something remotely.. like play a game but have the vid/chat on all the time for talking.

Might have to check out tabletop simulator? Does each participant need a computer or can you share?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU