Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

With the belated last picks, the Barons select Eddie Giacomin as our backup goalie. Giacomin was the most popular player in Rangers history up to Messier/Leetch/Hank, and a really good goalie that took them to a Cup finals. Was a Hall of Famer, Vezina winner, and his adjusted stats look really good.

With the other last pick, we select Doug Mohns. He's a bit of a cheater, but he played enough post-67 that I'm happy to take him. He started his career as a offensive defenseman, then got traded to Chicago and played with Stan Mikita, then converted into a defensive winger at the end of his career. Was an all-star in all 3 roles. Since I have two guys who are just there to hurt people as extras, I need a guy that can sub in anywhere into the lineup.

I'm pretty happy with my team. I'm playing a hardcore antique Russian system, I have a top 9 who can all pass insanely well with a 4th line full of Selke winners. I have sick D who can join the play and allow the forwards to cover. I have Bryan Marchment and Churla for violently assaulting opponents when I need it, and I have one of the most clutch goalies of all time. Oh, and yeah, the best and most inventive coach by far.

Kharlamov-Malone-Wheeler
Panarin-Yashin-Bondra
Eriksson-Zibanejad-Zuccarello
Madden-Holik-Lehtinen

Howe-Byfuglien
Campbell-Zidlicky
Visnovsky-Fox

ex: Marchment, Churla, Mohns

Richter
Giacomin

Tarasov

I picked Mohns with the 487th pick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Kilza posted:

Thank you to Boxc for making his final picks.

Remaining picks:
Jamwad Hilder (x6) (2 D, 1 coach, 3 extras)
fits (x3) (3 extras)
Technetium (x2) (1 D, 1 extra)

Let's consensus these teams.

I'll start by making a pick for Fits.

Vladimir Krutov 1981-1985. He was fat, he was glorious, he definitely is one of the greatest hockey players of all-time.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

JawKnee posted:

I picked Mohns with the 487th pick

gently caress.

i'll take Jimmy Roberts instead:

https://www.hockey-reference.com/players/r/roberji01.html

similar guy to Mohns, was a really good defensive forward who played D a bunch too game to game and year to year

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

T-Bone posted:

Let's consensus these teams.

I'll start by making a pick for Fits.

Vladimir Krutov 1981-1985. He was fat, he was glorious, he definitely is one of the greatest hockey players of all-time.

kalensc suggests Serge Bernier for Technetium's scratch and that seems fine with me. He was one of the best in the WHA from 74-79.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

T-Bone posted:

kalensc suggests Serge Bernier for Technetium's scratch and that seems fine with me. He was one of the best in the WHA from 74-79.

let's also get Jamwad a d-man. How about Joe Watson 1973-1977, when he was one of the best d-men on the Broad Street Bullies.

quote:

In the infamous 1976 game against the Soviet Red Army team, Watson, a defenceman and not a big scorer, scored a shorthanded goal against the great Vladislav Tretiak, causing Flyers coach Fred Shero to joke that Watson had "set Russian hockey back 25 years".

We'll also give him Anton Stralman 2012-2017, who we all know plenty about.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Oh and because he quit he gets a Canadiens coach. Jacques Demers who couldn't read but sure could coach.

That's it for me for tonight. If anyone else wants to jump in feel free.

quote:

Remaining picks:
Jamwad Hilder (x4) (3 extras)
fits (x2) (3 extras)
Technetium (x1) (1 extra)

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 08:11 on May 6, 2020

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Dunno who needs 'em but:

Ulf Nilsson

Pelle Lindberg

Sergei Mozyakin

Vadim Shipachev (lol)

Kirill Kaprizov

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Maybe it got missed but Bob Bourne and Paul Holmgren were excellent players who have not been picked, also Pete Peeters had some great seasons as a G

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
Bob Froese had some fantastic years with the Flyers in the 80's as well if someone needs another goalie.

If Sami Kapanen is available he's worth a look too.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Also Boris and Dmitri Mironov were good defensemen

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
As punishment for leaving, somebody should be burdened with Brendan Leipsic

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Alright, incorporating your posts here:

Jamwad Hilder: Ulf Nilsson, Sami Kapanen, Boris Mironov

fits: Bob Bourne, Brian Engblom

Tech: Ed Van Impe

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 21:28 on May 7, 2020

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Moving forward, like I said I'm going to explore how hard this would be to simulate in EHM. I'd still like to post my thoughts on each team, but I'm going to work on that first. If it's doable I'll probably make a new thread.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

Alright, now that the final picks are in, it's thoughts time on my team (which I had written up for over a week but w/e), which had no gimmick and was purely "pick the best team possible":

Bucyk - McDavid - St. Louis
Tanguay - Savard - Paiement
Smyth - Toews - Backes
Neal - Cirelli - Smyl
Schultz, Sullivan

Pronger - Subban
Sydor - Klingberg
Smith - McAvoy
Korab

Sawchuk
Vasilevskiy

Coach: Jon Cooper

First, the forwards. Man, while I do like a bunch of my forwards individually, collectively it doesn't feel like I've given them a good enough identity and they don't feel as cohesive as I would like. I put a bit too much emphasis on their individual performances, rather than how they might work in a given role within a team. I do kinda wish I had made a couple of forward picks differently to focus more on the cohesive/team aspect of things, but oh well. When you've got McDavid, who will end up being one of the top 5 players to ever play in the NHL, and supplement him with other offensive talent, and also add in some really solid defensive forwards to your bottom 6, and include Dave Schultz as a deterrent for the meaner opponents (possibly playing shotgun with McDavid like Semenko and McSorley did with Gretzky), you will be able to take anybody on.

The defense. It owns. They're all able to move the puck and put up points and also play very well defensively. The left-hand side especially is more nasty and in your face (well, maybe not Sydor as much as Pronger/Smith/Korab, but that's okay). I feel like any of the offenses picked in this draft would have a hard time trying to get through them. Pronger especially, who is the lynchpin to my whole D. Definitely one of the best D in the entire draft.

The goaltending. Love it. Sawchuk is unquestionably the best pre-67 goalie, and arguably still one of the top 5 goalies ever to play the game. While goaltending has obviously changed since he played, there's no real worry of him not being able to perform with the best of them in my mind. As for Vasy, really solid back-up. One of the best goalies in today's game and easily able to steal games on his own. I honestly think they're the best tandem that was drafted.

Lastly, the coach. Cooper loving owns. Obviously this has been my first season watching all of Tampa's games (rather than just the games being broadcast nationally here and there), so I have seen first hand how he's adjusted things and managed to get the Bolts players to buy in to a more team-focused, tougher, playoff style mentality, rather than having them just run-and-gun all their opponents. I've given him the tools he needs to help this team achieve greatness.

Overall, idk. I'd give it a solid A/A-. Defense and goaltending are both A+, coach is an A, forwards are more in the B+ range and drag things down. But I definitely feel like they could win the Cup.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Can we arbitrarily name members of the hockey ops and coaching staff even though they'll have no impact on the simulation?

POHOP: John Davidson.

I don't know where the real CBJ would be today without him. I don't want to (shudders violently). JD was hired at the suggestion of then-GM Scott Howson when the team was at rock bottom and JD, with his track record of turning the Blues into a contender, instantly gave hope of turning things around (his predecessor was Mike Priest, who had lots of business experience but was apparently clueless at hockey development). JD, in an ironic twist, did what nobody else had the stones to and fired Howson, bringing in a GM who promptly did what nobody else had the stones to and jettisoned Steve Mason.

JD fulfilled the hopes the fanbase had for him and, even though he bailed last offseason for the one job for which he had an out clause in his contract, the rise out of the basement since 2012 for the CBJ was his doing.

Assistant Coaches

Peter Laviolette (forwards)

You have the winningest American head coach in NHL history, so why not bring in the guy who was nipping at his heels until he was fired because :lol: Preds as a wingman? He's taken three teams to the SCF, winning with the Canes and losing with Philly and Nashville and is fairly consistently good at getting teams somewhat deep into the playoffs and that's good enough for me. I was surprised to find he didn't have a Jack Adams (he lost by 1 vote in 2006 to Lindy Ruff).

Lavi has experience with Ray Whitney, Justin Williams, and Mark Recchi. He also has fire, aimed at both players and officials, and we like that here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkHn3ciJxiY&t=27s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVfO6lY9ngM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvBsTrPO0p0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gt2h1kcJ8PA

Brad Shaw (defensemen)

Brad Shaw had been on Torts' wish list dating clear back to his days with the Lightning and, after he was dumped by the Blues, the two finally joined forces. Shaw has a track record of taking his defensive pairs out to nice dinners before the season to learn more about them both as players and people, which makes him seem like a solid dude and the team's performance with him in town speaks for itself.

Dave Tippett (special teams)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQ6BB5sjPtk

Remember those fun years when the Coyotes were dangerous in the West and would've gotten to a SCF if not for the fuckin' Kings? Dave Tippett was running the show then and, along with Hitch and Lavi, were on my short list for head coaches if I didn't get Torts, because we like dudes who win trophies based upon one outstanding season on top of a career of lots of other pretty good ones. We also like dudes who will chirp at officials for their ineptitude, and photographic evidence exists of him doing this. Can Dave run a PP and PK? We're about to find out!

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Guess I'll toss my two cents in on my team as well. Let's start with the forwards:

quote:

Marchand-Crosby-Bergeron
Lindsay-Malkin-Matthew Tkachuk
Lucic-Jordan Staal-Deadmarsh
Cashman-Sanderson-Kunitz

Laraque, Hertl

Personally, I think this is a fantastic forward group. The Crosby line was amazing at the World Cup of Hockey and I have no doubt they'd be able to carry that over into the NHL. Those three have proven chemistry with Crosby and Bergeron having played together in the World Juniors + World Cup. Crosby and Marchand also train together in the summer. All three of these guys think the game the same way and love to do little give-and-gos and creative plays and all work hard on both sides of the puck.

The Malkin line is amusing. I do worry that these three might go over the edge emotionally more often than I'd like but the combination of skill and meanness is undeniable. This line is arguably more talented than my first line. Lindsay had tons of skill to go along with his competiveness. Tkachuk is already proving himself one of the top scorers in the world and is a huge piece of poo poo to go along with that. Malkin is everything you'd want in a center. Big, skilled, mean. This line would piss off the NHL to no end and would also be a joy to watch.

The Jordan Staal line is a good combination of two-way play and offense. I think this line would be a reliable checking line. All three of these guys can play on both sides of the puck. My team also has so many shitheads that Milan Lucic is a much needed regular in the lineup to go beat the gently caress out of anyone that fights back. When people think of Lucic they probably think of recent Lucic who has declined heavily but in his prime he was a force who could play physically, score, and drop the gloves.

My fourth line has three guys who can kill penalties and also provide offense. All three of them also possess the skill to move up the lineup if injuries happen. For my scratches, Hertl provides instant offense and two-way play anywhere I plug him in, and Laraques is there if Lucic needs backup.

quote:

Wilson-Desjardins
Hatcher-Kasatanov
Dahlin-Stackhouse

Dumoulin

Defensively, I went for a mix of skill and grit (sensing a theme with my team yet?). Wilson and Desjardins are all minute guys who provide valuable puck moving to get the puck up to my skilled forwards. Hatcher and Kasatanov are more defensive, and will help kill penalties and handle tough forward matchups. Dahlin and Stackhouse is an offensively oriented third pair and I would most likely deploy them primarily in offensive situations to get offense when needed. Both can help man the second PP as well.

Dumoulin is an excellent minute eater and defensive guy that I can plug in if any of my guys are struggling or injured.

quote:

Gibson
Moog

Gibson is one of the best goalies in the world currently and gets less attention than he deserves because he plays for a garbage team. Andy Moog flashed a lot of talent throughout his career and is capable of starting a lot of games if I ever need him to.

quote:

Coach Sullivan

Sully is the perfect coach for my team. My team can skate and would love to play the type of north/south hockey that Sully loves. Sullivan is also an excellent guy at disciplining his teams and keeping them focused. I have a LOT of shitheads and pesky players on my team. They would need a strong presence to not have this team go off the rails and lose focus on and off the ice. Crosby commands a lot of respect in the locker room and would be able to help with that, and Sully is the perfect guy behind the bench to further keep my team focused.

Overall I'm pretty happy with how my team ended up. I maybe would have liked to have gotten a stronger defense than I did, but I made some sacrifices there in order to get the amazing top six I have.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Kilza posted:

Overall, idk. I'd give it a solid A/A-. Defense and goaltending are both A+, coach is an A, forwards are more in the B+ range and drag things down. But I definitely feel like they could win the Cup.

I'd agree with your assessment. I like you forward group a lot individually but I'm not sure what type of cohesiveness there would be there. But maybe it would work on sheer talent?

Your defense owns. Pronger-Subban would be devastating to play against. And you have the goaltending to backup that d.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

bow before my infinite power

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 06:21 on May 9, 2020

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Dude yes, more

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I'm doing it big, custom logos, portraits, names, arenas

gonna take a while but it will look loving sick

props to Ergo for walking me through stuff

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

Nice work. Looking forward to it.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
We honour you, king

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Here are what the divisions ended up being. I can't edit the names (I don't think anyway) without loving up some poo poo in the database, so we'll stick with the modern nomenclatures.

Atlantic
Boston Bruins
Toronto Hockey Club
Quebec Bulldogs
Ottawa Hockey Club
Montreal Canadiens
Montreal Maroons
Hartford Whalers
Quebec Nordiques

Metropolitan
Philadelphia Flyers
New Jersey Devils
Atlanta Thrashers
Pittsburgh Penguins
New York Rangers
Florida Panthers
Tampa Bay Lightning
Buffalo Sabres

Central
Minnesota North Stars
Detroit Cougars
Colorado Avalanche
St. Louis Blues
Kansas City Scouts
Cleveland Barons
Columbus Blue Jackets
Chicago Blackhawks

Pacific
Seattle Metropolitans
Edmonton Oilers
Los Angeles Kings
Vancouver Millionaires
Calgary Flames
Anaheim Mighty Ducks
California Golden Seals
Colorado Rockies

We were kind of short a Pacific team so I moved one of the Colorado teams to the Pacific.

A few more teams (the players are just random generated dudes, I'm focusing on creating the custom teams and structure right now):

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 12:02 on May 11, 2020

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
pito zombo

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
also if you fucks want to post your Captains and Assistant Captains when I get to the players I'll try to make that happen

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Captain: Lidstrom
Alternates: Ratelle, Armstrong

Shore doesn't get an official leadership role so he won't feel any pressure to keep those elbows down.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Captain: Vic Hedman
Alternate: Peter Stastny, Sergei Gonchar

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
C: Bobby Clarke
A: Red Kelly, Carl Brewer

I like having D with letters. Kelly is an obvious choice, Brewer not as much. I picked him because he's older than most of my team and has a different perspective on hockey. Plus guys I would have otherwise chosen like Gainey, Carbonneau, and ROR will get respect from the team and refs regardless of the letter.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
Captain: Bobby fuckin Orr
AC: Scott fuckin Stevens and Brian fuckin Leetch

Hakan Loob (69) - Kent Nilsson (69) - Anders Hedburg (69)
Terry O’Reilly (69) - Ryan Getzlaf (69) - Dale Hunter (69)
Brian Bellows (69) - Guy Chouinard (69) - Ron Duguay (69)
Petr Klima (69) - Dave Poulin (69) - Petri Skriko (69)
Johan Franzen (00) / Tim Hunter (01)

Bobby Orr (420) - Scott Stevens (69)
Brian Leetch (69) - Darius Kasparitus (69)
Gary Suter (69) - Bill Quackenbush (69)
Jimmy Watson (70)

Miikka Kiprusoff (69)
Bill Ranford (69)

mennoknight fucked around with this message at 17:54 on May 11, 2020

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

C: Fuckin Mess
A: Mikita, Langway

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

T-Bone posted:

also if you fucks want to post your Captains and Assistant Captains when I get to the players I'll try to make that happen

Captain: Maurice Richard

A: Henri richard, yvan cournoyer

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
I’m super tempted to make John Scott my captain.

St Louis Blues
Captain: Wickenheiser
A: Poulin and Oshie

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
C: Yzerman :canada:
A: Gionta :911:, Ohlund :sweden:

e: lines & numbers

Moore(#12) - Yzerman(#19) - Makarov(#42)
Unger(#15) - Oates(#77) - Leach(#7)
Amonte(#10) - MacKinnon(#29) - Gionta(#21)
Thomas(#32) - Mondou(#6) - Simmonds(#17)
EX: Ehlers(#27)/Avery(#16)

Ozolinsh(#24) - Ekblad (#5)
Ekholm(#14) - Shattenkirk (#22)
Ohlund(#2) - Trouba(#8)
EX: Fogolin(#20)

Vokoun(#92)
Osgood(#30)

e2: special teams

PP1: Thomas-Yzerman-Makarov-Ozolinsh-MacKinnon
PP2: Moore-Oates-Leach-Unger-Shattenkirk
PK1: Mondou-MacKinnon-Ohlund-Ekblad
PK2: Yzerman-Gionta-Ekholm-Trouba

Teemu Pokemon fucked around with this message at 16:33 on May 11, 2020

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
C: Harvey
A: Robinson, Geoffrion

Just wanted an all-Canadiens captaincy.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

C: McDavid
A: Pronger, Toews

You know I had to. Homerism shall prevail.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

T-Bone posted:

Is it the traditional 1 C/2 A or can you designate more than that? To start, gimme:
C: Vinny Prospal
A: Sergei Fedorov
A: Duncan Keith

This is on my tab in the Google Doc, but
53 Gaudreau-34 Matthews-91 Fedorov (A)
22 Prospal (C)-4 Lecavalier-8 Recchi
14 Whitney-19 Tavares-11 Williams
27 Hornqvist- 92 Kuznetsov-13 Atkinson
17 Dubinsky, 24 Gerbe

2 Keith (A)-7 Seabrook
15 Kaberle-74 Carlson
55 Kronwall-94 Barrie
3 Bieksa

30 Brodeur
1 Bobrovsky

HC: Tortorella
AC: Laviolette, Shaw, Tippett

You are a god among Goons. If the players get pissy about not getting "their" number, let me know and I'll come up with another. I'm torn between 1 and 72 for Bob and 22 and 20 for Vinny.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Anatoli Firsov (#11) - Jean Ratelle (#19) - Bernie Nicholls (#9)
Pierre Turgeon (#77) - Jack Eichel (#15) - Jeremy Roenick (#27)
Steve Vickers (#8) - Alexei Zhamnov (#13) - Sebastien Aho (#20)
Dick Duff (#7) - Darcy Tucker (#16) - George Armstrong (#10)
Gino Odjick (#29) - Michael Nylander (#92)

Nicklas Lidstrom (#5) - Fredrik Olausson (#3)
Kevin Lowe (#4) - Eddie Shore (#2)
Zach Werenski (#8) - Bob Murray (#6)
Harold Snepsts (#27)

Johnny Bower (#1)
Arturs Irbe (#32)

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Some more teams as you go about your dreadful hockeyless days:

CBJSprague24 posted:

Is it the traditional 1 C/2 A or can you designate more than that? To start, gimme:
C: Vinny Prospal
A: Sergei Fedorov
A: Duncan Keith

If people get hurt you can designate more I think? 3 should be enough though.

and just some fun other stuff I've done:

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 23:30 on May 11, 2020

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
Captain: Olli Jokinen, obviously
Assistants: Jay Bouwmeester (most prevalent Olli teammate), Butch Goring (because a coach is kinda like an assistant captain)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

T-Bone posted:

If people get hurt you can designate more I think? 3 should be enough though.

Sweet. What happens if there are more injuries than extra players? Do we get to add a free agent?