Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

From what we've seen in the thread, thematically I would like the story of Duarte being the actually intelligent but egotistical villain going full Ahab chasing the white whale of taking on a force he fundamentally doesn't understand while dragging all of humanity with him. I think there would have been space there to explore how humanity responds to a charismatic leader sending them on a course that could be viewed as noble but it's ultimately self destructive.

I'd be almost disappointed if the Goths were in any way knowable. Hell from what we've seen, an interstellar war with forces outside understanding isn't really what these books have been about. That should be the backdrop to exploring what confronting this does to the people involved. How do people snap? Who is a true believer vs. who just aligns with their tribe? What does it take for people to defect?

It would also set up an undoing of Duarte that I think could work without making him an idiot. If he truly believes that confronting and defeating the Goths is some absolute requirement for humanity to process and continue to exist, you've got narrative space for him to act in ways that obviously aren't in his interest and be aware of that. Him risking retaliation that wipes out humanity makes sense if he really believes it's guaranteed destruction later on.

Of course you then need to find some way of saying how that's different from Drummer leading the fleet to try and stop the Laconians conquering Sol. But I think it's a much more interesting story to tell than pew pew action with extra planar aliens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU