Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Broke: there is no timeline given for the series

Woke: the series takes place in 2386 as indicated by the most plausible future alignment of orbital bodies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Vomit Zombies :shepface:

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I think it's fair to say the Coreys really do admire 'sociopaths'. When they're baddies they're presented as these near supernatural apex predators who control everyone around them (Marco, arguably Great Man Duarte). When they're goodies like Amos they're Buddha in a cave.

It's just humans reaching for an emotional explanation for why bad people can do upsetting things and get away with it and aren't we all just monkeys after all??

All this for a medical condition that I understand is no longer believed to exist outside a general lack of empathy spectrum?

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

A way to make game theory even more psychotic than it already is!

Have you considered a career with the CIA?

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Fundamentally IMO there's nothing interesting about Laconia. The Coreys' fascination with great man history and psychopathy as a superpower has metastasised into What If Protomolecule Makes the Trains Run on Time.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Isn't Laconia just, like, monkeys, defending their tribe :hmmyes:

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

quote:

However, I think the dark side of that ability is the common thread of how unrelentingly... Well, it's not even dour, is it? Mundane, tedious, ho-hum, beige.

I think this is actually really core to the books' (unintended?) philosophy, and is why I came to dislike them so much more returning to them years later. But will let the series wrap up first!

Does anyone ever, at any point in the books, think of space as beautiful? Or Earth, or any of the colony worlds?

Hell, is there even any sense that anything was lost when Earth was glassed in the sense of its history, natural beauty or culture, instead of just 'billions dead - that's a million times worse than a hundred million!!'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I'm just gonna say that

Tanaka posted:

“Bang, motherfucker,” she said.

The book has not earned the right to call back to Cowboy Bebop jesus