Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Not if your ship is already on course to impact :colbert:

Although a few seconds later you will probably want to apply thrust to the ship, even if you don't have to touch the anvil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

They can't go to Earth because Earth would 100% throw them all in a brig and give the ship back to Mars (although of course probably not before letting their own engineers go over it). IIRC in the books Earth and Mars are nominal allies instead of rival superpowers at this point, and even if they are in a cold war you can't just go around blatantly stealing bleeding edge military vessels the diplomats seem pretty insistent it would turn into a whole thing. It's like if random pirates had hijacked a Soviet frigate and tried to run to the US or something, sure we're gonna love getting a chance to go over every inch of it but the pirates are going to jail and the ship is getting returned eventually.

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Apr 2, 2020

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Yeah I definitely wouldn't call Amos asexual, but... aromantic maybe? "I only gently caress people I don't like" and all that.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Yeah Amos doesn't ever want kids, but he loves him some fuckin'. Which makes more sense to me imo than getting himself chemically castrated, he sees sex as just another physical need like water and food so no need to remove the ability entirely, just make sure there's zero chance he's gonna accidentally bring a kid into a lovely situation like he had to suffer through.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Space Taco Bell's dehydrated protein substitute maybe?

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

One of the things I do like about these novels is how they deal with the effects of space travel and so on. They're always kind of there and always kind of a hazard. I'd also draw your attention to that line about the gantry. If there was a theme to some of the comments Omi and I had on this chapter, it was to do with the technology of the world of the Expanse.

Omi: "I understand the ships and bases having armor, it makes things more tactically interesting and readers instantly understand “Bullets bad, Kevlar good,” but my understanding is that conservation of weight is so incredibly critical to everything about space travel that nobody would ever in a million years armor their structures- if they thought they would come under fire regularly, it’d be orders of magnitude cheaper to armor their environmental suits. It’s not a dealbreaker here, but I find it interesting how Expanse is unusually hard sci-fi for a mass market success story, but still has occasional fits of totally fantastic futuretech."

Eh, it doesn't really bother me. The Expanse does have a bullshit magical conceit under all the "hard" crust in the form of the Epstein drive, but so does just about every work of sci-fi ever. As long as you just take as a given that they have these absurdly efficient absurdly powerful engines that can burn at 10g for a year but also somehow don't instantly melt the ship they're mounted on, then weight concerns go away. We only care about how heavy spaceships are right now because we're stuck with crappy chemical rockets and limited fuel space, if you have an Epstein drive and aren't on a shoestring budget why not armor everything to hell and back, spaceships are expensive and it's free radiation shielding. Plus, it's just a quick doodle in Space AutoCAD to put a thick layer of space steel on the outside of your spaceship but there's no personal suit in the world that's gonna bounce PDC rounds.

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Apr 22, 2020

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

General is usually the rank(s) above colonel, maybe Fred is actually a general in the OPA paramilitary but I don't think they're that organized, it's probably just a (maybe tongue-in-cheek) term of endearment they use for him because he's in charge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Bobby's still a Martian Marine, on contract, subject to military discipline, all that good stuff. She can't just go off on an adventure to the outer solar system because the assistant to the assistant to the vice president of a foreign power asked her to, both legally and in her own head. She's starting to have the crisis of faith but she's not in "yeah gently caress it I'm a free agent now" territory, she just went outside to get a cup of coffee.

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jan 4, 2021