Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
If I could suggest anything, it'd be using Reynolds' Pushing Ice as a benchmark, being the story I've found with the most overlap in starting on an ice-mining ship that encounters solar system-changing events.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

Interesting! I'll see if I can give it a read in the near future. Is that also where the term 'rockhopper' comes from? It shows up in The Expanse a bit.

I believe it all starts with the Rockhopper penguin, which I assume was named hundreds of years ago. I'm betting on a coincidence.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
I was expecting Ceres to become the Big Central City that fantasy series love to explore and stick around so much. Miller spends a lot of time living in it, and visits various strata, but I didn't get a familiar sense of it as a detailed community. Maybe it gets time and attention in book 3 or 5, but I'm somewhat doubting it.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020

Characters in the Expanse do a fair amount of taking their half-eaten meals, often noodles but sometimes drinks, and tossing them into any given recycler.

A bit of a missed opportunity to emphasize the living conditions inside small, enclosed ecosystems, where food wastage would be one thing that people would surely want to minimize.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
There's one thing that bothered me at various points, the number of testicle mentions.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020

But there are some books where the action sequences grab me every time I read them, and LW's are not those.

Examples are definitely desirable here.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
Leviathan Wakes was regrettably alienating enough that I lost interest in the series as a whole after finishing it. Still, there's the possibility that this thread's read of Caliban's War might change my mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
Mainly it was the protagonists. They struck me as cliche archetypes - the idealistic space captain, the troubled detective - that I love when done with skill, but not as they were executed here. Their internal psychology seemed juvenile and confused.

The 'vomit zombies' line was so jarring that I became frustrated with the book after reading that page.

But I think mostly it was just comparison that soured my opinion. I had just come off from reading a lot of more epic, thrilling-scope space opera, stuff by Alastair Reynolds and Iain M Banks and Vernor Vinge and Dan Simmons, and after all that what the Coreys were doing just wasn't what would excite me. It's more down-to-earth, but not enough that it appeals to the part of me that wants realism and slow-burn literary storytelling. I was really interested in the Earth-Mars-Belt politics, but as revealed it wasn't as in-depth and complex as I'd hoped, not to mention that it was all put on the backburner for an alien plot I didn't want.

FPyat fucked around with this message at 13:20 on May 30, 2020