Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

My brain is humming about this. Blindsight is one of my favorite novels.

Sounds interesting let's look up the plot synopsis. Ok, Alien Comet seems good, mysterious signal, k still on board. One character is a reincarnated vampire :stare: uh....what. some more stuff that never mentions vampires again. Then an ending with a vampire revolt on earth. Hmm. Well I didn't see that coming. Guess I'll check it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

The show could have really fixed a lot of these issues too. What a shame.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

It also seems kinda not very Amosy to just sit in a cave with no place to fall back to when he knows (armed) people will probably come looking for Theresa eventually. Did he learn nothing from Bobby tactics wise in 30+ years? Like he knows Laconian power armor is a thing too.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Tiamat's Wrath, Chapters 29 - 33

But that character isn't Alex. And here in Tiamat's Wrath, Alex is the audience's link to Bobbie's death. If Alex doesn't exist anymore, then what's the point? Alex is the emotional heft of this bit. Are you not going to include Bobbie's heroic death charge? It's probably the biggest moment in Tiamat's Wrath. Are you going to give the angst and aftershock to Jillian or, God forbid, Kit? Who'd give a poo poo?

It'd be such a headache to work around, especially for an adaptation that'd otherwise ensured it hit all the big beats and moments. You can't slot any of the other Rocinante crew into Alex's spot unless you're doing big rewrites because they're all off doing things, such as being in prison or dead. I feel like I wouldn't have wanted to be in the writers' room when they were faced with, uh, so how are we handling Tiamat's Wrath without Alex?

I guess you could keep Avasarala alive for another season and kill her off between season 8/9 instead of between 7/8. She's really the only other person close to Bobby. You'd lose the scene with Holden remembering her at the state building but like...so what.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

No we don't. Those chapters were beyond tedious

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Making Bobby a Laconian sympathizer or whatever makes zero sense.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

PriorMarcus posted:

Honestly I think it's the exact opposite. It makes more sense than her hanging around on the Rocci for 30 years accomplishing nothing.

Her dream of Mars might have died when she encountered corruption in the Martian government but it was a dream she had for the majority of her life, Duarte, if he'd been savvy enough, could of recruited her off that alone before he ever left Sol.

General Battuta posted:

It makes dramatic sense because it's painful and gives us a Laconian we care about, other than Duarte who we care about because he's interesting but he's promptly shuffled offscreen.

The solution to Tanaka being poo poo isn't to just ram another character in her slot even if we happen to care about them. The Dream of Mars is one thing but it's a far cry from "yes I guess I'll join the guy that enabled the biggest terrorist humanity has seen, tosses people into pens and injects himself with alien goo because clearly these are the good guys"
I mean I guess you could go that route if you're cool with a total assassination of her character.
The "Laconian we care about" is essentially Elvi. What you're actually asking for is "Laconian we care about who is also a true believer and military so we can write tense standoff scenes around"
No pre PR characters fit this criteria so unfortunately, there is no workable solution to this other than just rewriting Tanaka to not be poo poo.

banned from Starbucks fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Mar 18, 2024

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Laconia has been exploiting the protomolecule for military research, even if some of the infantry armor they've developed has an unfortunate tendency to "permanently bond to human skin."

I kept waiting for this to come up ever since it was mentioned in PR. But, it just never does. Like you have Tanaka the power armor wearing bad guy right there! to do something cool with this idea, and just... nothing. What a shame.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

It feels like they were preemptively merging two separate characters that they thought the show would merge later on down the road anyway.

Did they still think they'd get more seasons to adapt these last books at the time of writing LF?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Great thread and a hell of a journey.

I'm really curious as to how the show adapters would have fixed this mess. I can't imagine the show would have drummer just gently caress off after season 7 or Trejo annihilating half of Sol then just never being important again or Naomi sitting in a box all season. God, LF feels like it has enough content for like 2 episodes tops. You're right that Amos should just stay dead. It'd be a horrible waste of Wes Chatham to play protomolecule David Putty. Tanaka can just....not exist. Could they stick a better landing than the Coreys? I'm betting yes.