Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
I hear this scrimba course is good for learning the basics of React.

https://scrimba.com/g/glearnreact

Also I'm going to use this as an excuse to learn Python 3.

Helical Nightmares fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Mar 26, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Helical Nightmares posted:

I hear this scrimba course is good for learning the basics of React.

https://scrimba.com/g/glearnreact

Also I'm going to use this as an excuse to learn Python 3.

That looks like a fun tutorial; let us know how it goes!

I also added the React course to the OP.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Pawn 17 posted:

I think you will want to be looking at C.

https://docs.python.org/3.8/extending/extending.html

You can also check out something like Numba where you can use just-in-time compiling on frequently used python functions that can speed them up a lot.
Thanks. I've heard that C knowledge transfers to C++, so I might just go that route. I figure C isn't bad to get familiar with for someone who's interested in programming anyway since it's such an important language.

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

Zugzwang posted:

Thanks. I've heard that C knowledge transfers to C++, so I might just go that route. I figure C isn't bad to get familiar with for someone who's interested in programming anyway since it's such an important language.

I know C and programmed in it professionally for two years. I, personally, do not think that would give me much of a leg up if I ever needed to do c++ programming

That said, please don’t take this as discouragement!

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi
hell yeah i wrote and debugged a program to scrape data from a website (world record zelda OoT speed run times).

I was having an issue where the data would change part way through the program running. I suspected it had to do with the way the website loads and things show up one after another instead of all at once. I put in some sleep functions and some clicking functions to let everything load, accept the cookies, and reload the table. And I got it to work :D I'm pumped.

Now I'm gonna see about shoving that data into an excel sheet, and about getting it to do several pages one after another.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

dads friend steve posted:

I know C and programmed in it professionally for two years. I, personally, do not think that would give me much of a leg up if I ever needed to do c++ programming

I think knowing C for years (and also understanding object-oriented programming already from Java and other languages) made C++ reasonably easy for me to learn - I went from having only hacked on existing C++ code and not really knowing how to set up classes from scratch to using inheritance, templates, vectors, streams, etc. in about 3 weeks where I was also learning some other new stuff. I could start out using classes, but be lazy and not bother learning how streams work and instead just keep on using stdio.h calls like printf(), fopen(), etc., until later. I see this gradual transition happening where I work too - people will sometimes say that this particular area of the code could benefit from some C++ library, so they make a module use C++ internally but still expose C functions to the rest of the program, or alternatively wrap a C++ interface around some existing C code until it gets converted, etc. Of course having C++ code that actually uses old crappy C functions rather than the nicer C++ equivalents that use objects and exceptions isn't the best use of C++, but it's a nice start if you already know C.

If you don't already know C, though, I couldn't tell you whether it's better to start with C and then go to C++, or just go straight to learning C++. Maybe learning C first means you get bad habits and without some effort you don't realize there are better ways, like using references instead of pointers? :shrug:

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

:hmmyes:

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Is it quiet in here because you're all earning a p. deece six and a half figgies as coders now?

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

Buttcoin purse posted:

Is it quiet in here because you're all earning a p. deece six and a half figgies as coders now?

They're all wondering if GLCM has ended. Well wonder no more: Due to quarantine this is Summer of Goons Learn Code

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

I've been busy learning some Julia in my free time. Still getting used to the syntax and there are some descent packages out there even though Julia is somewhat new. Plus you can interface w/ other languages and vice versa. Also holy poo poo is Julia fast. It's almost as fast a C in some tests I've done. Anyone else using Julia regularly?

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

New Jersey wants Cobol programmers?

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

Lawrence Gilchrist posted:

New Jersey wants Cobol programmers?

https://twitter.com/ozm/status/1247882382922874880?s=21

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

I wish I knew COBOL and got to work on ye olde computers!

Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004

Not sure if this is the place to ask, but gently caress it!

Over the past several years I have taught myself Excel and then Google Sheets becoming an advanced use after working in both of them for 8 hours almost every day to generate cost of goods, financial, labor, IT audits, inventory management, and ad-hoc reports. I'm looking to grow in my ability to code (I realize Excel and Google Sheets aren't necessarily "coding") so I've started watching some courses on SQL and Python; I would love to get into automation and DBA. I have a psych background, so I've had some stats and I started off in college as EE and took all the math reqs needed. More recently I've worked for an energy management company that used zigbee protocol radios to send HVAC and lighting telemetry and controls, although I was on the operations and support side of things.

Do certifications from these elearning sites get the attention of potential employers? Will anyone hire a self taught data analyst? I am interested in some self driven projects like scraping reseller sites for used electronic music information or cataloguing recipes I find online. I've got a raspberry pi just chilling here waiting for tinkering.

I've got nothing but time at the moment and really would like to take some steps in teaching myself some dang coding. Does anyone have recommendations for next steps?

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Buttcoin purse posted:

I wish I knew COBOL and got to work on ye olde computers!

I'm actually learning COBOL right now. I'm on a team writing a COBOL book based around doing mainframe COBOL (although most of the stuff applies to any vanilla implementation), and we're using VS Code as the editor. We're trying to get it available as an open source document so people can morph it to suit their specific needs.

I'm also supposed to record a video series teaching it, which will be out on Coursera and others, but the travel lockdown has made it hard to get into a studio. That'll hopefully be available before the second half of the year, even if I have to do the filming myself.

Robo-Slap
Jun 5, 2011

Pawn 17 posted:

I've been busy learning some Julia in my free time. Still getting used to the syntax and there are some descent packages out there even though Julia is somewhat new. Plus you can interface w/ other languages and vice versa. Also holy poo poo is Julia fast. It's almost as fast a C in some tests I've done. Anyone else using Julia regularly?

Yeah, Julia buddy. I've been writing some simulation stuff in Julia lately. Multiple dispatch is weird getting used to, but I do enjoy how flexible it is. Liking it a lot.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Isaac posted:

I get lot more out of projects than tutorials. Its hard to know why you would want to do anything until you are presented with a situation that you need to do that thing.

If you cant think of a project you can google like “hentaidownloader github” and play around with someone elses project

This really hits home for me. I've tried many times, through many classes, to get into programming. Making a tip calculator does not keep me engaged. But everything that interests me is way too complex to start with, like hand or eye tracking with a camera or something crazy.

I guess I should prioritize how to programmatically generate ascii boobs that bounce with realistic physics? See..thats way too complex.

I use powershell a ton at work, but there's not much in the way of coding tutorial sites that recognize powershell, so should I just focus on learning C#?

Haptical Sales Slut fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Apr 9, 2020

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Nuts and Gum posted:

This really hits home for me. I've tried many times, through many classes, to get into programming. Making a tip calculator does not keep me engaged. But everything that interests me is way too complex to start with, like hand or eye tracking with a camera or something crazy.

I guess I should prioritize how to programmatically generate ascii boobs that bounce with realistic physics? See..thats way too complex.

I use powershell a ton at work, but there's not much in the way of coding tutorial sites that recognize powershell, so should I just focus on learning C#?

one does not "learn" c#. you just keep the database open and fire blindly at it based on the system.<visual studio suggestion box output> that sounds like what you might need, or by googling it :v:

we have this saying: "brah jus give um." it means, gently caress it just take a run at it. we have another saying: "if can, can. if no can, brah can," which means exactly what it sounds like. i believe these are the two most important mantras when writing code

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

gently caress Man posted:

Not sure if this is the place to ask, but gently caress it!
That's the spirit! Also quite appropriate given your username. Anyway I think this is what the thread is for!

quote:

Over the past several years I have taught myself Excel and then Google Sheets becoming an advanced use after working in both of them for 8 hours almost every day to generate cost of goods, financial, labor, IT audits, inventory management, and ad-hoc reports. I'm looking to grow in my ability to code (I realize Excel and Google Sheets aren't necessarily "coding")
That depends. If you're just using formulae I don't think you're exactly coding, although you're probably learning some useful skills, like some of the syntax that languages use to represent function calls, quoting strings, etc. Have you written any Visual Basic code in Excel though? Basic isn't a very popular or respected language in the kind of circles I work in, but it's still coding :v: I assume it's probably popular for small business applications. If you're having trouble taking a bigger leap, maybe it would help to stay in the familiar territory of Excel and learn a bit of programming in VB.

quote:

Do certifications from these elearning sites get the attention of potential employers? Will anyone hire a self taught data analyst?
I can't answer your questions exactly, but in general coding I worked with a guy who was self-taught, and I don't think it held him back. I on the other hand went to college and dropped out :smuggo:

quote:

I've got nothing but time at the moment and really would like to take some steps in teaching myself some dang coding. Does anyone have recommendations for next steps?
Your SQL and Python stuff sounds good to me, and getting jobs isn't my area of expertise but I suppose just think about making your project something you could show a potential employer.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Nuts and Gum posted:

ASCII? Just Google "unity boobs". Disclaimer: I don't actually know how hard unity is to learn.

The White Dragon posted:

one does not "learn" c#. you just keep the database open and fire blindly at it based on the system.<visual studio suggestion box output> that sounds like what you might need, or by googling it :v:
Well you do need to learn the syntax of C# (or any language) be able to achieve much with it, but yeah you don't need to learn all of the modules/libraries/whatever they call them, you can just search. Obviously you can search the web to figure out just about anything, but the syntax - how do I put a value in a variable, how do I call a function, how do I pass values to a function, how do I quote a string - i.e. the rules about the characters and words it recognizes, they're pretty fundamental and the environment (e.g. Visual Studio Code) won't help you quite so much with that as it will with finding library modules/functions/etc.

Of course you'll eventually start to learn some of the important terms that come up frequently, e.g. if you want to take the string "low" and the string "tax" and combine them into a single string, and you're dealing with a language that doesn't just let you combine them using + but you need to call a function, you'll figure out that that's called "concatenating", then when you have to learn a new language rather than Google for "how do I join two strings together in <language>" you might search its manual for "string concatenation".

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
I cant remember if I recommended unity earlier but its a very fun way to learn

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

Learn Haskell as your first language, and thank me later.

Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004

Buttcoin purse posted:

That's the spirit! Also quite appropriate given your username. Anyway I think this is what the thread is for!

That depends. If you're just using formulae I don't think you're exactly coding, although you're probably learning some useful skills, like some of the syntax that languages use to represent function calls, quoting strings, etc. Have you written any Visual Basic code in Excel though? Basic isn't a very popular or respected language in the kind of circles I work in, but it's still coding :v: I assume it's probably popular for small business applications. If you're having trouble taking a bigger leap, maybe it would help to stay in the familiar territory of Excel and learn a bit of programming in VB.

I can't answer your questions exactly, but in general coding I worked with a guy who was self-taught, and I don't think it held him back. I on the other hand went to college and dropped out :smuggo:

Your SQL and Python stuff sounds good to me, and getting jobs isn't my area of expertise but I suppose just think about making your project something you could show a potential employer.

Thanks for your responses. When I worked with the energy management company, a couple of the programmers and embedded engineers were people who just started off doing things like using arduino to automate and monitor soil moisture, so I realize the bootstrap experience is good in some cases I'm just a little intimidated to be in a professional setting being self taught.

As for formulas not being coding I agree and I agree that it's probably a good first step in understanding syntax. I've done some VBA coding, but mostly to understand what the person in role prior to me was doing and to make updates.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

gently caress Man posted:

I'm just a little intimidated to be in a professional setting being self taught.
Unless you're working in really small organizations where everyone you're working with was involved in the hiring process, in most cases people won't even know what your qualifications are, and probably won't care so long as you're good at your job.

quote:

I've done some VBA coding, but mostly to understand what the person in role prior to me was doing and to make updates.
Excellent! So are you at the point where you're reasonably confident that you could hack on existing VBA code but wouldn't know how to start from scratch? If so, that's kind of a good position to be in, because you've already got a foundation to build some more experience on. It's way easier when you already know a bit of what you're looking at than when it's all meaningless!

So in terms of next steps, how are you going with the Python + SQL stuff you were looking at? If you're finding that too much of a leap, maybe you can use Visual Basic + SQL. https://www.sqlservercentral.com/steps/sql-server-from-net-connecting-visual-studio-community-edition talks about using the free "Visual Studio Community Edition" with the free "SQL Server Express Edition". It's talking about examples that are in some other language (probably C#) but I assume the same .Net client library should work in Basic and if there aren't Basic language examples provided there should be some online. If you want to go this route and have trouble getting it working, I'm happy to try downloading those tools and see if I can make sense of it since I've wanted to try out that Visual Studio Community for a while.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

If anyone is learning HTML, JavaScript, or other stuff that runs in the browser, you could join in the Neocities and you thread where people are using Neocities' free web hosting to make some retro '90s sites and a web ring.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

At the end of the last thread I was working on a Python program to grab attachments from my outlook inbox by putting in a date range, which is great for stuff like monthly invoices.

The good news it that it works now for outlook! I can put in a date, and how many days previous to search, and grab attachments from specific senders which get saved to a specific file and renamed to include date, company name, etc. Can also choose to check for attachments from every company, or just choose a specific one.

As always there are fun issues like when subject lines from companies like ebay include emoticons that can't be read by python it will crash.

TheMostFrench fucked around with this message at 13:13 on May 4, 2020

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

TheMostFrench posted:

As always there are fun issues like when subject lines from companies like ebay include emoticons that can't be read by python it will crash.

Sounds like you got some good results! Regarding those emoticons, do you know about Unicode and the difference between bytes and characters? I found https://realpython.com/python-encodings-guide/ and from a quick skim it seems like a good explanation. If that doesn't help, let me/us know!

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

Unicode makes me ANGRY

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
I want to learn how to code because there are a fuckton of jobs out there and it's good money, and I like computers and spend all my time on computers so it seems like a good fit for me. But whenever I try and start, by reading threads like these or googling and stuff, there are a ton of people recommending a ton of different things and I get overwhelmed because I don't even know where to start. Then I give up. But now I have a ton of free time that I'm spending playing video games, so I think it would be a good idea to spend some of that time actually learning something.

So...where should I start? Assuming the extent of my coding knowledge is writing bbcode tags in here and extremely basic HTML tags for headers and poo poo. What should I do?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Pick something and do it. If you don't have any idea, go through Learn to Program: The Fundamentals.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
I started on the FreeCodeCamp site someone linked earlier, and am working my way through the HTML stuff. I have no idea if that's a decent grounding, but it's what the site recommended for a complete beginner.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Dont Touch ME posted:

Unicode makes me ANGRY

When did you start experiencing these feelings? Was there a particular Exception that made you feel this way?

Bardeh posted:

I started on the FreeCodeCamp site someone linked earlier, and am working my way through the HTML stuff. I have no idea if that's a decent grounding, but it's what the site recommended for a complete beginner.

If you think that having a project of your own would help motivate you to learn, you could join in the Neocities thread and make your own old-fashioned "home page". It sounds like there are plenty of people in that thread who either don't know how to do HTML either, or are rusty.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Found this. It helped me operate github.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Bardeh posted:

I want to learn how to code because there are a fuckton of jobs out there and it's good money, and I like computers and spend all my time on computers so it seems like a good fit for me. But whenever I try and start, by reading threads like these or googling and stuff, there are a ton of people recommending a ton of different things and I get overwhelmed because I don't even know where to start. Then I give up. But now I have a ton of free time that I'm spending playing video games, so I think it would be a good idea to spend some of that time actually learning something.

So...where should I start? Assuming the extent of my coding knowledge is writing bbcode tags in here and extremely basic HTML tags for headers and poo poo. What should I do?

Hopefully you've thought about it some more but it usually depends on what you want to do, that helps to narrow it down. Do you want to make games? Create mobile or web apps? Make your own operating system? Some languages are good for managing data, while stuff like HTML and CSS is more about structure and presentation, there are languages I've never touched or even tried to look into so I can't comment on them. Consider that people have programmed this whole website and your user account which can save your favourite threads and lets you send and receive private messages. There is a whole bunch of stuff going on that users never even need to consider, but it all works. Like when I buy groceries in real life I don't really need to consider how they were delivered to the store, just that they are there for me to buy when I need them.

I'd say pick a couple of languages you like the sound of and then follow a series of tutorials or projects that give you something to do, and then use the stuff you learn to make your own stuff, and see how you can push the limits of what you've learned so far. The program I'm working on in Python that I mentioned further up includes a text based menu, so that a person can choose what action they want to perform. It doesn't actually need that to make it work, and it took extra time to put it in, but I wanted to see if I could - so i did! The best part is that now I can use the foundation of that code for any other program I decide to make. If I quickly need a basic text menu with a few options I can take what I've already written and just change the names and the output text to suit whatever the new project is.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
I have a similar-ish question. I started coding for fun because of quarantine but now I love it. I took some Codecademy classes on Python / JS and now I want to make a career switch myself. I'm going to take a bootcamp through a local university. I would eventually like to get into building and producing video games, but ideally I'd like to start coding generally since I've been told the gaming industry can be difficult to break into. My question is, should I take a standard full-stack course or should I be looking at something more gaming-specific?

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

I listened to a podcast with the founder of freecodecamp recently.
https://softwareengineeringdaily.com/2020/06/22/freecodecamp-with-quincy-larson-summer-break-repeat/

Anyways he has worked with both physical schools and the fully online model and said that the biggest weakness of learning remote/online is that there isn't built in motivation. Keeping pace with other students, schedules, getting your certificate, etc.

So my advice would be to connect with a social medium that works for you and talk about your progress. Chatrooms, maybe this thread, whatever works for you.
I write some apps but its not officially part of my job description. Trying to get more serious about it.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Chunjee posted:

I listened to a podcast with the founder of freecodecamp recently.
https://softwareengineeringdaily.com/2020/06/22/freecodecamp-with-quincy-larson-summer-break-repeat/

Anyways he has worked with both physical schools and the fully online model and said that the biggest weakness of learning remote/online is that there isn't built in motivation. Keeping pace with other students, schedules, getting your certificate, etc.

So my advice would be to connect with a social medium that works for you and talk about your progress. Chatrooms, maybe this thread, whatever works for you.
I write some apps but its not officially part of my job description. Trying to get more serious about it.

if anyone is learning C# I'll tell you how bad your code is over discord voice chat

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Plinkey posted:

if anyone is learning C# I'll tell you how bad your code is over discord voice chat

im not exactly "learning" anymore but i could show you 20mb of raw c# code that would make you poo poo yourself with rage and have nighmares for the rest of your natural life :unsmigghh:

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

The White Dragon posted:

im not exactly "learning" anymore but i could show you 20mb of raw c# code that would make you poo poo yourself with rage and have nighmares for the rest of your natural life :unsmigghh:

i'm sure i've seen worse

unless it's a 3000 line switch: case statement that runs an exec of the same program with different parameters

because that's the worst clusterfuck of code i've ever worked on :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

Ocean Book posted:

hell yeah i wrote and debugged a program to scrape data from a website (world record zelda OoT speed run times).

I was having an issue where the data would change part way through the program running. I suspected it had to do with the way the website loads and things show up one after another instead of all at once. I put in some sleep functions and some clicking functions to let everything load, accept the cookies, and reload the table. And I got it to work :D I'm pumped.

Now I'm gonna see about shoving that data into an excel sheet, and about getting it to do several pages one after another.

Out of curiosity what did you use to do that? I'm doing a project right now to scrape data from the city board of alderman site to aggregate local politics information and I'm using jsoup/java. It's good, but I like seeing how other people do things.