Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

sweet thursday posted:

Here are the blood types and how they help:

If you are O Negative like me then definitely get your rear end in a chair and save the world.
Please note that the inverse is true if you are giving platelets or plasma - they definitely want your A/B/AB+ component donation!

Platelets in particular only last a week or so and thus are particularly likely to be short in the next few weeks. I'm not the best at going regularly and the Red Cross was really pestering me lately due to massive need.

One more thing: your donation is generally sold to its destination hospital at a slight or significant markup to cover costs of collecting the donation. Think of it as not just donating blood to the Red Cross, but as donating money too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

sweet thursday posted:

12 months between sexual intercourse down to 3 months. However, as said, they test and treat it anyway. What's a few months between friends?
The screening isn't perfect; there's still the same deferral for getting a tattoo. But if it's just HIV they're concerned with 3 months still seems a bit excessive since modern tests should detect it after a few weeks.

For other things there aren't effective screens other than the questions they give you. That's why they ask you to call back if you get cold symptoms.

ShadowHawk fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Apr 4, 2020

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

:siren: :siren: If you have recovered from Covid-19 they really really want your plasma because it can treat severely ill patients directly :siren: :siren:

It's called "Convalescent Plasma Therapy" and was approved in the US just last week (demonstrated in China previously).

Go to the Red Cross donation link - this is a separate process from normal plasma donations.

At the moment they require you to have tested postive (and be asymptomatic for two weeks), but if you never managed to get a proper test they may soon be able to test you

FAQ posted:

I don’t have a positive COVID-19 test but am certain that I had it (lists symptoms), can I still participate?

Thank you for your willingness to donate convalescent plasma to help patients. If you do not have a test confirming your diagnosis of COVID-19, additional testing is required for you to be qualified as an eligible donor. At this time, we have not yet established a process by which testing can be performed. We encourage you fill out our Donor Contact Form and we will contact you to provide a sample for testing once its available.