Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I gave my triple platelets yesterday, they've been low since christmas on those where I'm at. They said they haven't noticed a dip in donations when I talked to the phlebotomist, but I imagine that will change in the coming week. I'll have to see what things are like in 2 weeks when I can donate again. Assuming I'm not sick or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
It's a really silly question. They've been asking women now at my blood bank if they've ever had sex with a man who's had sex with another man. There's no science behind it, it's just homophobia and I ignore those questions. gently caress'em.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Depending on where you live, you can find actual charity hospitals you can donate directly to, rather than going through a blood bank.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Bleed you fucks.

Bleed.

Platelets for the platelet throne!

Gonna try and donate every 2 till this is over or I get the rona. Platelets are super scarce and don't last long. They also work backwards, ab+ is the universal donor for them. So if you can spare the time consider a part donation, you get to watch your blood flow in and out of a cool machine!

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
MAKE

AN

APPOINTMENT

A lot of blood banks are short of phlebotomists and heavy on walkins. I got to listen to them for 70 minutes deal with walk ins while being 3 workers down when I gave platelets. So if you are able to, schedule your donation in advance, it'll take some of the stress off the workers.

edit: A and AN are two different things and I should learn to use them even when I'm typing bad on the internet. Also I think my gangtag is broke. Not that I don't love the random url, it's got style, but so would Gift of Life, RAIN OF BLOOD.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

IMJack posted:

The only Red Cross blood drives in Dallas are booked solid for weeks. So let this be a donation in good faith.

Dallas has a local bloodbank too, same one I donated to in Fort Worth.

Gangringo posted:

I know they have relaxed restrictions for gay/bisexual men and people with tattoos, is there any word on if they will finally stop rejecting people who lived in Europe/UK in the 80s? I'm a healthy youngish person with O- blood and I've never been able to donate it because my mom had to marry a British alcoholic rear end in a top hat when I was a kid.

I can't remember if that was part of it, but the FDA released new guidelines that touched on some of the travel and oversea blood transfusion stuff. Might be worth looking into.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Amos cookies all the way. I probably shouldn't eat after platelets anyways, since I guess the blood thinner they use gets metabolized? I mean, I should eat, but I shouldn't view it as a free snack. (That's how this works, right? Bleed a pint, eat a pint of ice cream?)

Anyways, I rechecked and realize that I can give every week instead of every other week. There's a max of 24 a year, but I'll probably ask next time if they just want me back in ASAP and I can go lean the rest of the year when hopefully we aren't in a pandemic. Got myself scheduled again for monday though, so three more people can get my goony platelets. It's good to see everyone else bleeding, too. Keep it up!