Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

The world doesn't stop bleeding during Covid. Blood stores are being depleted and there are shortages. Don't take my word for it, look at this image:

What can we do? Glad you asked. Take a knife, poke yourself just above the elbow. See that? It's blood. That blood is valuable right now.

If you are Canadian you can set up a Frequent Bleeder account here:
https://myaccount.blood.ca/en/user
It's as easy as selecting a date and Bam!

If you are American, start here
https://www.redcrossblood.org/give.html/find-drive

If you live in Europe or anywhere else, then google "Hey how do I give blood where I live?" and you'll be pointed in the right direction I'm sure.

I just saw bread where donuts should be.

This is serious and people need our blood.

Here are the blood types and how they help:

If you are O Negative like me then definitely get your rear end in a chair and save the world.

Of course, practice safety and good sense. Read this mod disclaimer
I do request however that you include a very strong and prominently displayed warning to posters asking them to practice extreme caution and maintain social distancing while giving blood. There is some concern that people showing up at locations that take blood goes against the logic of 'flatting the curve'. I think in this case it might be a worthwhile tradeoff because we can't ignore all other medical issues while we're fighting Covid-19 but I do not want us to do anything that might inadvertently spread the pandemic further.

And get Poked!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Just gave my bag of blood. They took social distancing seriously and there are spots for maybe half the people that they could normally fit. Expect longer wait times, but don't be too concerned about being packed in a room with other people. About every 5 or 10 minutes, a cleaning crew went through the whole space and wiped everything down. Expect to be asked if you feel sick, if you've travelled, if you know anyone who's been sick, etc.

They said they've been busier lately since getting the word out. That's good! We need to bleed.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Plat or new avatar to the next poster who shows proof of blood donation :regd20:

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Badger of Basra posted:

Does anyone know if there’s been a lifting of the prohibition on gay men donating? If not I’ll just have to donate money.

I know gays who lie about it when it shows up on Canadian touch screens

They test and treat the blood anyway.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Vinestalk posted:

O Neg crew checking in.

You have won an Avatar!

100 years too late, am I right?

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

fool of sound posted:

I'm talking with the admins about doing gangtags and/or avatar raffles for people who donate blood or 10bux.

Thank you.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Badger of Basra posted:

Does anyone know if there’s been a lifting of the prohibition on gay men donating? If not I’ll just have to donate money.
https://www.npr.org/sections/corona...sed-by-coronavi

Looks like need trumps bad, outdated policy

12 months between sexual intercourse down to 3 months. However, as said, they test and treat it anyway. What's a few months between friends?

Scudworth posted:

Hi I don't know if you have a tag ready yet but I donated today and thought of a contrast to the previous one-

I'm picking up what you're putting down!

sweet thursday fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Apr 3, 2020

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

A lot of people in need are going to be walking around with goon blood in their veins pretty soon

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Vinestalk posted:

I'll pay for two more avs, to bring the total to 7 winners.

Take me out of the raffle and I'll add an 8th avatar.

Bleed, lurkers.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Safely.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

An oreo man. I'm a Dad's oatmeal cookies type of guy myself, but we both bleed red

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

I'm going to use the 100th post in this thread to say this:
Thanks for bleeding with me, donating money, and saving lives. Let's end the month strong :coal:

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

fool of sound posted:

:siren: The following posters have won a free avatar change of choice: :siren:

V. Illych L.
IMJack
Condiv
Mykroft
MA-Horus

If you won, please PM me (or post in thread) your new avatar image!

Thanks everyone who helped out, and special thanks to sweet thursday for making the thread and scudworth for making the gangtag. You both can also claim free avatar changes should you want them.

Give mine to this guy!

Square Peg posted:

Type O-, did the needful today, was so anxious about *gestures at everything* that I filled the bag in record time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Even though the sweepstakes are over, you should still donate.