Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stackofflapjacks
Apr 7, 2009

Mmmmm

knox posted:

Took slight break last month but finally hit 9999 crests for the Triumphant jewelry replica. That's probably the most amount of time I've spent grinding an item in an MMO. Now I just need another 1200 for the Fortress weapon to stack -25% build times proc and I'm best-in-slot. If anybody is still playing or trying to level I'll be around leveling tank on Order/Destro. I bought a new PC & monitors also and the game performance increase will probably have me playing even more.

I mess around mostly early EU time before work, leveling a healer and a DPS on Order and Destruction. Taking it easy and enjoying exploring the world while doing RvR. It's been a fun blast back to the past playing an early 2000s MMO, such a distinct feel and design that is pretty fun and very laid back.

Destro during 4am -6am PST has a few consistent warband leaders:

Papapapa - incredibly chill, soothing leader who likes good fights

Zorbastank - loud Greek guy, funny and high energy, loves to flank and say "Take them from behind!"

There's more leaders they are usually less known, those two have dedicated Discords and get a lot done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

knox
Oct 28, 2004

Yeah I'm in Hellogigi's guild Formosa on my Runepriest, constantly fighting Zorb/Papapapa warbands from like 9AM EST (most of them are in Taiwan so late night for them) - 12PM. Respect to those dudes for running pug warbands, there isn't as many warband leaders anymore as there used to be and game needs them. I'm probably going to play Destro a lot more now also, which I did prior to focusing on RP once I joined Formosa. Sorc/Choppa/DoK are all like borderline Invader/Vanq geared. Post in the discord if you're in there whenever you're on, I'll run with Destro pugs for sure.

knox
Oct 28, 2004

Twitch drop event for the next 10 days;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PRBM1rVlVc
https://www.returnofreckoning.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=51289

Borrowed Orcapult things

Pryce
May 21, 2011

Uhhhhh this seems like a quick way to get a Games Workshop lawyer on their case. Big difference between “oh we’re emulating a server!” And “we’re actively advertising using your IP and license”.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
They've done drops before and came out of it ok.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Yeah they started doing them 3 years ago and for whatever reason Games Workshop just does not seem to care. You would think the famously litigious company would get mad, but they've flown as close to the sun as you can over and over again.

knox
Oct 28, 2004

Pryce posted:

Uhhhhh this seems like a quick way to get a Games Workshop lawyer on their case. Big difference between “oh we’re emulating a server!” And “we’re actively advertising using your IP and license”.

A lot of people were asking how they are able to do drops, but they've been doing it for like 3 years or so & have done at least 5 Twitch drops events with no issues; they have the blessing of the original dev team/game has been dead a long time/no money is being made/who knows.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

A little late to it but there's a Dev Q&A for a new WAR server (Interbellum), made by one of the devs of the original ROR server. https://discord.com/invite/5UmvWxbc

I'll come back with highlights when I have them.

Takeaways:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Dh7Q19yRVkR_TZ8m5vbHe7Lxs4V-rZCw/view?pli=1

quote:

General:
• There will be horizontal and vertical progression, every few seasons. Item level will change based
on a certain launch lvl and will increase to a final one. Horizontal progression is based on being
able to easily get multiple sets via drops.
• 20 hours to get from 1 to lvl 40 and RR 80 (Mastery Points earned by lvl not RR). Gear will also
be earned faster and will have RNG stats (drop based).
• All addons allowed, in regards to NB. The game has been designed to circumvent the necessity for
NB and even if people use it, they won't get any skill benefits from it. The devs believe it's better
to design around these issues instead of banning addons.

Balance:
• 1.1s GCD.
• True damage is removed, morales can be mitigated.
• MMO holy-trinity replaced with a star based system. DPS can now shift towards support, support
can shift towards DPS etc.
• Major meta changes are scheduled every season (current estimate is every 4 months). Minor
fixes/adjustments will be done if needed in-between.

Gearing:
• Gear will be RNG for stats selected.
• Gear is BoE so it can be traded.
• Gear is gained via drops.
• There will be two level requirements for gear, lvl 1 and lvl 16. Respectively T1 and T+, gear will
have an ilvl and will for example start at ilvl40 on release and increase to an internally decided
maximum(gear that drops ilvl).
• Dump stats on gear no longer exist, for example a slayer can use ballistic skill.

RvR:
• Anti-zerg ideas: Classes have anti-zerg abilities that scale based on players. RVR system has
multiple zones to make it harder for blobs to control the battle. Localised benefits based on
relative numbers.
• No bolstering due to how the gear system works.
• Active zones are based on pop, the more pop the more active zones.
• Two RvR tiers, T1 aka “Tutorial Tier” and T+ aka “Tier 2-4“.

Performance:
• Azarael has re-written the WAR Emulator from the ground up. And has converted it from C# to
C++. Apparently it's far more performant and doesn't stutter. This includes a re-write of the ability
system.

Verisimilidude fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jul 30, 2023

knox
Oct 28, 2004

Due to the amount of time I've put into RoR & the already low playerbase that I don't think can support splitting the population, I'm not too excited to learn about the new server in development. Can envision a 2nd server launching, splitting the population to point where both are gimped. I guess people have known it was being worked on/developed since 2021 maybe (on Zarbix stream he discussed it/streams the Q&A, etc and said as much). I just know how much work has gone into Return of Reckoning over the years, to get it to the point I started playing in 2020. And didn't watch the video so let me know if I'm wrong, but I don't think I saw a ETA/Roadmap to launch so honestly who knows when this will even be able to launch. If somehow it eventually launches within next 12 months, and has a good amount of players on it + good impression I would certainly look into getting on it, but that is a lot to get me there.

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Okay, that's true. Good point, Marquess. Point for you. But you get a point taken away for being a dick. So, back to zero.

Verisimilidude posted:

A little late to it but there's a Dev Q&A for a new WAR server (Interbellum), made by one of the devs of the original ROR server. https://discord.com/invite/5UmvWxbc

I'll come back with highlights when I have them.

Takeaways:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Dh7Q19yRVkR_TZ8m5vbHe7Lxs4V-rZCw/view?pli=1

What?

A new server?

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

Honestly, the RoR server is strictly worse than live was before RR90/100 with the terrible balance that never changes and the weird design decisions that make progressing the campaign impossible with equal numbers, so if the new server is either decent or gets the RoR team to pick up pace then I'm good.
Its gonna be weird seeing the new server pop be an unholy amalgamation of people banned from RoR for cheating/botting and the ones banned because they can't stop themselves from spewing slurs though.

knox
Oct 28, 2004

Wuxi posted:

Honestly, the RoR server is strictly worse than live was before RR90/100 with the terrible balance that never changes and the weird design decisions that make progressing the campaign impossible with equal numbers, so if the new server is either decent or gets the RoR team to pick up pace then I'm good.
Its gonna be weird seeing the new server pop be an unholy amalgamation of people banned from RoR for cheating/botting and the ones banned because they can't stop themselves from spewing slurs though.
Agree with you I just don't have any real expectations they could put together something better than RoR. Current state of the game is definitely rough though, especially the massive campaign changes they implemented over a year ago and have done no analysis of their impact or how they are currently performing (really bad). I think the low population this summer reflects that.
Are you the Wux that's always in Zarbix chat?

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

knox posted:

Are you the Wux that's always in Zarbix chat?

Yes

knox
Oct 28, 2004

Suuh duud. Don't remember if I ever played with you during that short window in 2020 when the two goon guilds were pretty active but I know I've seen you in Zarbix chat from beginning. Along with DeadNerve that makes 3 of us still watching. For the most part he's only streamer I consistently watch unless it's a really bad MMO he's currently trying.

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Okay, that's true. Good point, Marquess. Point for you. But you get a point taken away for being a dick. So, back to zero.
Was thinking of coming back but then i read the class changes.

They really kicked WH in the balls.

Was the WH class really that overpowered that the dev's needed to nerf it into the ground?

I got a full level WH i stopped playing about a year ago when the dev's buffed every other class and ignored the WH.

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

FreeWifi!! posted:

Was thinking of coming back but then i read the class changes.

They really kicked WH in the balls.

Was the WH class really that overpowered that the dev's needed to nerf it into the ground?

I got a full level WH i stopped playing about a year ago when the dev's buffed every other class and ignored the WH.

WH (and WE) is the most broken class in the game right now for everything besides large scale fights

knox
Oct 28, 2004

I still play couple hours 3+ days a week, but the population getting low is discouraging & the balance changes note to me will only hurt the player base even more. The RvR campaign needs to be refreshed with some changes & just overall new content instead of talking about how they poured over 12 year old bad resolution youtubes to see how abilities functioned on retail or whatever.

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

Oh dont get me wrong, the balance changes are absolutely stupid, but the WE/WH nerfs are easily the best part of it

Zeg
Mar 31, 2013

Am not good at video games.

quote:

Azarael

Color me surprised. I thought he was completely done after that train wreck. I didn't mind his general approach to balance.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Wuxi posted:

WH (and WE) is the most broken class in the game right now for everything besides large scale fights
Isn’t the endgame mostly large scale fights or did they make roaming solo or with a small group able to contribute meaningfully to RvR?

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

Pants Donkey posted:

Isn’t the endgame mostly large scale fights or did they make roaming solo or with a small group able to contribute meaningfully to RvR?

Contribute meaningfully isn't an actual thing anymore anyway. Zones end up in complete stalemates if the numbers are roughly even and during off-hours one side is just dominating with double or more the numbers. The campaign progress doesn't do anything either besides giving you different zones to fight in. Cities are on a set timer (as is LotD) and with one currency for all rewards there isn't much reason to run those anyway.

WH/WEs have their place in single target groups even in organized 24v24 (aka the city meta) and are increasingly oppressive in smaller scales than that. Yeah, they are mostly poo poo trying to storm the lords room in a fort, but I cant even remember the last time I saw a closely fought fort - most of the times one side just decides they'd lose anyway and bail to take a different zone.
Everywhere where the big zergs don't clash (and even on the outskirts of those fights), WH/WE excel. They have a ridiculously overtuned kit with literally everything thats not AoE damage in it - high mobility, high burst, high sustained dps, strong defenses and sustain and some of the best CC in the game. They can fight at mid-range with their ranged finishers (and Witch Brew/Kisses), making them even harder to kite while they in turn can kite melee builds while still doing damage.

Zeg
Mar 31, 2013

knox posted:

I still play couple hours 3+ days a week, but the population getting low is discouraging & the balance changes note to me will only hurt the player base even more. The RvR campaign needs to be refreshed with some changes & just overall new content instead of talking about how they poured over 12 year old bad resolution youtubes to see how abilities functioned on retail or whatever.

I guess I'm too used to the 32/30 days, but there are 631 online atm with 544 in T2+. That doesn't seem terribly awful to me, tbh. It's not them glory days when the guild was brimming and we were goonrolling right up to keeps with zero fucks left to give, but what can be in this day and age?

e: I'm sure Az has something up his sleeve, but https://www.returnofreckoning.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=51417&sid=e107ca06802aff57937d22d803198ef2 actually made me hopeful for the state of the game than anything else they've done in recent memory.

Zeg fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Aug 14, 2023

knox
Oct 28, 2004

Yeah spring 2020 was good ole days. The low population now just worries me; low-500 during prime time is the worst I've seen it, so anything I feel like could bring it even lower jeopardizes the server. The ability rework or reverting back to an old retail version might drive more people to quit, then you got this new server news. I don't want to see the population split even worse & have two unviable servers. But can't make judgements based on that, I'm enjoying RoR so much lately I just need another Order character to grind gear for pronto. I have 10 SM, 7 BW, 9 IB; I think those are my choices honestly. I wanted to play SM but as a Runepriest already and dwarf supremacy factor I may have to play IB.

I need a consistent warband to play with on Destro after 12PM EST when Formosa logs off on Order. AoE Sorc is still my favorite Destro class + I've always enjoyed Choppa, too bad no one plays DoKs anymore unless it's 6v6 shield or dw DoKs as it was my best geared character before I got Runepriest 95% BiS.
Hopefully few others see this and get back on board.

edit; drat typing Best Regards, is a sign I'm losing my mind working from home

knox fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Aug 15, 2023

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

knox posted:

Yeah spring 2020 was good ole days. The low population now just worries me; low-500 during prime time is the worst I've seen it, so anything I feel like could bring it even lower jeopardizes the server. The ability rework or reverting back to an old retail version might drive more people to quit, then you got this new server news. I don't want to see the population split even worse & have two unviable servers. But can't make judgements based on that, I'm enjoying RoR so much lately I just need another Order character to grind gear for pronto. I have 10 SM, 7 BW, 9 IB; I think those are my choices honestly. I wanted to play SM but as a Runepriest already and dwarf supremacy factor I may have to play IB.

I need a consistent warband to play with on Destro after 12PM EST when Formosa logs off on Order. AoE Sorc is still my favorite Destro class + I've always enjoyed Choppa, too bad no one plays DoKs anymore unless it's 6v6 shield or dw DoKs as it was my best geared character before I got Runepriest 95% BiS.
Hopefully few others see this and get back on board.

If i remember correctly in the 2020 area there was a admin, i forget his name, but he would go apeshit if anyone posted anything about balance or a minor bug they found in game.

He's gone now but watching someone post a legit bug or op class after a patch was a great. Just wait a few minutes and watch the fireworks.

And yea i feel that low pop is going kill the server.

Zeg
Mar 31, 2013

FreeWifi!! posted:

And yea i feel that low pop is going kill the server.

It's really not. Until The Big Boom, the game used to coast on low 400s/high 300s for a very long time. And thinking back on it, there were plenty of nights it was down in the 100s. Pre-T4. The guy that runs the show made a long post drat near a decade or so ago talking about how it literally didn't matter how the population went, the game would still be worked on and (this was before we knew anything about GW not giving a poo poo) updates would keep coming. And they did. And surprise, surprise, the population picked up. But the game isn't dead and isn't going to die unless they pull the plug, regardless of how hard all the doomsaying gets pushed.

There were two other servers for the game that have come and gone to compete with RoR and neither are around today.

Torquemadra was honestly the worst part about RoR for a very long time, but the game ain't been the same since the talent that was carrying the poo poo out of the dev team quit because of him. Them dumping the tech debt has me hopeful, because it unfucks so much "personal touches" to classes some of them devs played. There is bias, but it's literally not where people expect it to be and soon it'll be out the door.

knox posted:

Haha, that WFH life will give you brain rot like that.

e: So I can't tell if anyone wants to play or not, so nvm I suppose

Zeg fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Aug 17, 2023

knox
Oct 28, 2004

I've been playing Order whole time; usually Tuesday/Thursday/Friday/Saturday/Sunday 9AM EST to 1 PM EST roughly is when Formosa guild I'm in plays on Order, haven't leveled 2nd character on Order yet so I still just play Runepriest every time. I might start joining the pug bands on Destro to gear out one of those characters as well.
Only warband can't compete with would be Nightmare/Daydream which is the best guild on server that most can't compete with so no biggie. I try to tell Hellogigi to coordinate morale & dps channel drops more but he plays more, kite back and kill as they overextend type usually because don't have full 24man WB so outnumbered.
VOD from warband other day;
https://twitch.tv/videos/1896867816?t=4165s

And yeah I've seen people bring up the idea of just how many people have had their hands on the balance/class changes on this server over the years it's loving nuts and probably a clusterfuck to fix, hence the ability re-work they've been working on for years. Resetting to an old patch and then making common sense changes by comparing the numbers would be a good way to go about it. I liked the morale cap to 24 changes, helps break up zergs. I've seen RoR forum posters say morale cap increase somehow helps zergs but that makes no sense.

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Remember that time when the devs made a PvP arena or something..egyptian themed or some poo poo..

and everyone used it for less than 24 hours and now its absolutely deserted.

knox
Oct 28, 2004

MaxHayman developer update video on the ability rework which they've been working on almost 2 years + some of the upcoming changes. As opposed to the big wall of text post about it this video has me excited.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVZwYf3glAM

Zeg
Mar 31, 2013

knox posted:

MaxHayman developer update video on the ability rework which they've been working on almost 2 years + some of the upcoming changes. As opposed to the big wall of text post about it this video has me excited.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVZwYf3glAM

:eyepop:

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Who could be scared of a Jeffrey?
I've been playing this throughout the 2x exp/renown weekend, getting a number of characters to T2, and I can't believe how much more streamlined everything is.

You do the initial quests, a couple of public quests, then immediately hop into scenarios/RVR, no tedious questing.

I have a few order characters but the people playing on Destruction seem to own, Ork roleplayers and all, so I started a DoK today.

The 2x exp/renown has been extended until tomorrow as well.

knox
Oct 28, 2004

Noise Complaint posted:

I've been playing this throughout the 2x exp/renown weekend, getting a number of characters to T2, and I can't believe how much more streamlined everything is.

You do the initial quests, a couple of public quests, then immediately hop into scenarios/RVR, no tedious questing.

I have a few order characters but the people playing on Destruction seem to own, Ork roleplayers and all, so I started a DoK today.

The 2x exp/renown has been extended until tomorrow as well.

Been really busy with work which hosed my ability to level anything with the double XP like I've wanted to, but got a few warbands in with Formosa guild I play with that recently swapped to Destro. Population has jumped up like 30% lately, obviously the event effects that but I saw some popular French streamer(s) started playing with their own guild & fully organized warband on Order. With the ability rework on the horizon finally I think it's going to be good year for RoR.

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

knox posted:

Been really busy with work which hosed my ability to level anything with the double XP like I've wanted to, but got a few warbands in with Formosa guild I play with that recently swapped to Destro. Population has jumped up like 30% lately, obviously the event effects that but I saw some popular French streamer(s) started playing with their own guild & fully organized warband on Order. With the ability rework on the horizon finally I think it's going to be good year for RoR.

I've been having a load of fun. I wound up last minute making a DoK and rushing it to T2 yesterday. I have some order characters as well. There's a ton going on even at the lower levels, so it's a blast.

Destro players can be a lot of fun too, especially all the dudes semi-RPing ork boys. Just some great content all around.

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

RoR had a rollback to Sept. 26th, so all the people who were brought in by the 2x exp and Amazon drops got kind of screwed. They were able to replace people's levels, but not their gear. Which puts you at an incredibly awful disadvantage given the way the level sync works in PVP. Here's hoping the devs figure a way out how to fix it, because the characters I was working on are stuck in a purgatory of wearing gear that doesn't scale properly, being 15 levels out of date, so I get one shot, as a tank, and I've also lost all of the currency I earned in the game. I also can't get influence or quest rewards I had since those are marked as being done, but the gear doesn't exist anymore.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
wow that sounds like a death sentence for this server

knox
Oct 28, 2004

What the fuckkk that's wild there was a rollback, first time I've seen such a long one on this server. Thankfully I didn't waste a bunch of my life leveling a toon or two like I've wanted & planned to do during next 2x. Hopefully they are planning some extended 2x to make up for it or something?

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Yeah they extended 2x with double tokens, which is great, but my SM can't even solo even level PVE content at the moment with the T1 gear it was rolled back to.

Edit: Lol, I used the original events to level and get initial gear for like 6 different characters, and some are just gone, the rest are in starter gear/naked and all my currency is gone on everything including the money from twitch drops.

Noise Complaint fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Oct 4, 2023

knox
Oct 28, 2004

If you need some gold or whatever because of the problem let me know I'll do what I can, which is being a broke mfer asking Formosa people with millions of gold to give me some.

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

knox posted:

If you need some gold or whatever because of the problem let me know I'll do what I can, which is being a broke mfer asking Formosa people with millions of gold to give me some.

I need to figure out how to get gear on my SM, which is what I've been playing as my main. It's 28 and absolutely not survivable with the T1 gear I have, and all the influence rewards I could get to gear up, I had already gotten and can't get again. I know the gloves and boots are BOE, but the weapon, shield, jewlery, and rest of the armor is a serious hinderance as I play a completely support oriented tank that now can't survive in RVR or scenarios.

If you know how I can gear up quickly without being absolutely miserable I'd be glad for advice since even PQ grinding groups won't take a deadweight tank. I also lost all of my crafting levels so I can't make my talismans for the gear.

Previously, I soloed PQ's, but I can't do that anymore as I can't out damage mobs unless I pull one at a time which takes forever when you need to kill 75+ for a PQ.

Forgot to add, my SM's name is Gearan, the set I lost was my Devastator set

Noise Complaint fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Oct 4, 2023

knox
Oct 28, 2004

Noise Complaint posted:

I need to figure out how to get gear on my SM, which is what I've been playing as my main. It's 28 and absolutely not survivable with the T1 gear I have, and all the influence rewards I could get to gear up, I had already gotten and can't get again. I know the gloves and boots are BOE, but the weapon, shield, jewlery, and rest of the armor is a serious hinderance as I play a completely support oriented tank that now can't survive in RVR or scenarios.

If you know how I can gear up quickly without being absolutely miserable I'd be glad for advice since even PQ grinding groups won't take a deadweight tank. I also lost all of my crafting levels so I can't make my talismans for the gear.

Previously, I soloed PQ's, but I can't do that anymore as I can't out damage mobs unless I pull one at a time which takes forever when you need to kill 75+ for a PQ.

Honestly I would probably just perma-queue for SCs, look to join up premades where possible and healbot to RR40+. Join warband when population gets up there for ORvR or run a smaller man group that does ORvR while queueing for scenarios to get the crests and XP/renown. PvE'ing to get beyond some of the armor wards is also highly highly preferable though I have not had to do it yet , though surely will have to while leveling a tank or shaman to 40.

Definitely join the discord for anybody still playing to get me on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeg
Mar 31, 2013

Noise Complaint posted:

I might have some boe gear you can have. Or I can carry you on my slayer for some PQ gear.