Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Man I played this game right before it died and it was pretty fun. Kind of want to play a choppa, but I’d prefer a really solo capable melee character. Doable still?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

knox
Oct 28, 2004

please knock Mom! posted:

Man I played this game right before it died and it was pretty fun. Kind of want to play a choppa, but I’d prefer a really solo capable melee character. Doable still?

I played Choppa mainly solo to level 38, and it's definitely frustrating at times. Tanks supposed to guard me as main melee dps but I probably got one or two entire time in scenarios. I'll probably be leveling a tank on Destro after hitting 40 on Choppa soon/there are people leveling so I'm sure you can group up. But they need proper support to do well. They get things like a melee heal eventually to make soloing easier but they're one of the more support-reliant classes, making them strongest when they do get that support.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
ONCE YOU POP THE FUN DONT STOP

Hy_C posted:

Is Torq still loving with balance? Last time I looked at this the "lead" dev basically buffed white lions out the rear end to being unstoppable monstrosities because they're his favorite. He was also a huge shitter on the forums.

They've been nerfed a couple times to bring them more in line. Still strong bursty fuckers, but not absolutely outrageous.

Mr.Fuzzywig
Dec 13, 2006
I play too much Supcom
Oh man i played the poo poo out of this game when it first came out, i think i got the big ol box with all the art in it and everything. Gonna roll a destro tank and then i guess whatever people need on order.

Red Herring
Apr 3, 2010

Hy_C posted:

Is Torq still loving with balance? Last time I looked at this the "lead" dev basically buffed white lions out the rear end to being unstoppable monstrosities because they're his favorite. He was also a huge shitter on the forums.

Nah he left or was removed.

This is a good addon, it makes the game prettier: https://www.returnofreckoning.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=13&hilit=reshade

Also some good tips on improving FPS and game stability:
https://www.returnofreckoning.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=20075
https://www.returnofreckoning.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=19867

Red Herring fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Mar 26, 2020

knox
Oct 28, 2004

Anybody wants to include more information just post and I'll add it to OP.

Kevlar Beard
Feb 20, 2010

For those of us who like trophies, there are currently two available quests in the starting zones that will provide a few basic options per race. Technically there are supposed to be one in each starting zone, but the empire quest is bugged and was removed on retail as well as here.

Dwarf quest is in the 'Pick and Goggles' tavern, talk to the elf dude, get the 'Digger's Duds' quest, kill a digger for it's robes, then go turn it in to the guy next to Helga - the bigass dwarf cannon pointed directly at a greenskin camp
Elf quest is in the Azurewood Forest, NPC is Grunda Aleheart. She'll have you get some ammo, and place a powderkeg on a bridge to mess up them dark elves

I believe trophies are tradeable, so you can do this on alts and yeah, get all those cool starting trophies for your mains. Hope this helps other fashionhammer peeps.

Kevlar Beard fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Mar 27, 2020

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Gonna download this today since I haven't touched the game since 2008 but I remember the PvP being pretty fun. Even just super low-level PvP was a blast so I'm sure my habit of just making tons of alts will still lead to me having fun doing low level PvP while I slowly level up whatever becomes my main.

I'm thinking of making a White Lion first. Good idea or bad idea? I like the idea of a melee pet class with a big axe and a cool lion buddy but I also recall some Youtube video recently mentioning that they're probably going to end up nerfed into the ground due to player complaints. No idea if that's even remotely true though.

Also: what's the most fun healer on Order?

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Toss up between Runepriest and Warpriest depending on whether you prefer ranged or melee.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
I’ve been having a blast with runepriest because I don’t gently caress with melee but the WP style is awesome.

knox
Oct 28, 2004

Harrow posted:

Gonna download this today since I haven't touched the game since 2008 but I remember the PvP being pretty fun. Even just super low-level PvP was a blast so I'm sure my habit of just making tons of alts will still lead to me having fun doing low level PvP while I slowly level up whatever becomes my main.

I'm thinking of making a White Lion first. Good idea or bad idea? I like the idea of a melee pet class with a big axe and a cool lion buddy but I also recall some Youtube video recently mentioning that they're probably going to end up nerfed into the ground due to player complaints. No idea if that's even remotely true though.

Also: what's the most fun healer on Order?

I just hit 40 Runepriest it's always been my favorite healer. Warrior Priest has a viable DPS spec though, and is impossible to kill/does the most healing via their group heals.

Making a White Lion is definitely good idea, we don't have someone consistently logging in and leveling one really. They're very very strong, have a lot of annoying melee utilities to CC their target via their pet pull + pouncing on their target from loving mile away. I stopped leveling Sorc playing solo because they're too squishy and WL's were insta death. They're not gonna get nerfed, one of the main devs/person who runs the server Secrets is a White Lion main, which people complain that it means WL is overpowered but they're just a strong class. They were dogshit on live if I remember?

For new people right now asking what to play/which side goons are on-
Order seems like it's going to be the active at the moment, but we also have at least 5 people leveling characters to max on both + people playing strictly Destro so my advice would be start leveling a class that's fun to you on Order (or Destro if you are set on a class on that side) and make a alt on the opposite faction and ask for guild invites on both/join the discord to find out whose on. But new people should just start questing to level 6 which takes less than an hour, and queuing for scenarios + handing in the repeatable scenario quests you get upon entering and completing if you win by handing them in at Altdorf or Inevitable City. You'll be able to group with goons at every level/Tier.

Kaysette posted:

I’ve been having a blast with runepriest because I don’t gently caress with melee but the WP style is awesome.

I'm on Dirkfunk 40 RP if you need a guild invite invite.

knox fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Mar 27, 2020

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Thanks comrades, gonna make a White Lion and a Runepriest. War Priest sounds cool as hell but I'll get my melee fix with the White Lion for now probably and having a more caster-type healer will be a nice change. Really the main thing drawing me to White Lion is just that it's cool as gently caress. Just a badass elf with a huge axe and a big cat who is my murder friend, hell yes.

I don't remember--are the Order/Destro classes perfect mirrors with just aesthetic differences, or are there gameplay differences between the counterparts as well?

knox
Oct 28, 2004

Harrow posted:

Thanks comrades, gonna make a White Lion and a Runepriest. War Priest sounds cool as hell but I'll get my melee fix with the White Lion for now probably and having a more caster-type healer will be a nice change.

I don't remember--are the Order/Destro classes perfect mirrors with just aesthetic differences, or are there gameplay differences between the counterparts as well?

There are utility/'Morale' ability differences between the mirrors, and other differences as well.

And yup that's what I'm doing; have Runepriest for healing and Choppa on Destro for melee. It's good to have different archtypes to play, as sometimes playing mdps getting focused down and neutralized by organized group can be frustrating, getting on Runepriest to heal is a big gameplay change.

knox fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Mar 27, 2020

knox
Oct 28, 2004

Had over 8 people online on Order in the guild yesterday, and a group of 6 RvR'ing. I got healing Subjugator weapon I'll probably use forever out of a gold bag, killed about 4 keeplords in relatively short amount of time. This game rules and gets better as you gear up & get more organized with people. Open RvR & scenarios are much better when you have a organized group sorted out and in discord like we did yesterday.

Start up a character on Order, make a Destro alt, and start questing to lvl5+ and queue up for scenarios you will be caught up in no time + there's many low level goons in Tier1 playing right now.

Gymp
Dec 9, 2003

Yeah I dunno, this seems fun until you start getting repeatedly rolled. Reminds me of games where they keep trying to get new players, but all the vets keep stomping and drive the new people away.

Just a bunch of zerging death balls in rvr and in scenarios you either roll the other team or you get rolled.

Gymp fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Mar 28, 2020

knox
Oct 28, 2004

Gymp posted:

Yeah I dunno, this seems fun until you start getting repeatedly rolled. Reminds me of games where they keep trying to get new players, but all the vets keep stomping and drive the new people away.

Just a bunch of zerging death balls in rvr and in scenarios you either roll the other team or you get rolled.

There is some truth your statement of heavily geared people being able to stomp, but just yesterday in my poo poo gear I got a major purple weapon that someone in full Invader gear didn't have, just RvRing in a goon 6 man and taking keeps. And you're starting out in a low level teir 1 scenario with poo poo teammates, they aren't going to properly play the objectives or their class. This game is most definitely not difficult to quickly gear your character up, as you gain very good loot bags through the process of just enjoying PvP solo/in a pug warband/with the many goons now playing. Zerging happens in RvR, but you can choose to do other things and affect what is happening. I'd suggest playing more in goon group in tier 1 we will have going, and getting more abilities and gear on your character before feeling you cannot compete.

Zombies magazine
Oct 17, 2005

Firmly grasp the :kazooieass:

I hosed around with the original goon squad when this game first came out, and I am so bored with quarantine I am downloading it now.

Did bright mages ever get fixed

knox
Oct 28, 2004

Zillions magazine posted:

I hosed around with the original goon squad when this game first came out, and I am so bored with quarantine I am downloading it now.

Did bright mages ever get fixed

Yeah, they're still top AoE in the game but they aren't the Fire Gandalfs they were. The balance is in a pretty good spot though people will complain about things like Order having all the better mirrors, while Order complaining about OP Marauder AP drain morale. But the classes all are relatively strong, with the majority having 2 viable specs.

Gymp
Dec 9, 2003

so playing black orc tanky af is really fun, it's bizarre being able to "tank" in pvp

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

The name Corlagon was already taken? Must be some pretty heavy hitting nerds in here! Right, joined as Noblebright the Chosen.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Squig Herders are the best class. You get eaten by a giant squig and run around as a giant meatball eating farting and puking on people while bouncing on them. Or you can plink at them with arrows I guess.

ChaseSP fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Mar 29, 2020

knox
Oct 28, 2004

Sunday 12:30 PM EST
Player count :
3622/3500

Zombies magazine
Oct 17, 2005

Is chaos the more active goon side right now?

edit: woops, destruction not chaos

Zombies magazine fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Mar 29, 2020

knox
Oct 28, 2004

Is chaos the more active goon side right now?

Destruction was more active ORvR yesterday, but the two days before that Order had over 8 people on in the guild/we had a 6 man going in RvR. A lot more joined both in the last two days even so we're active on each; with the 2x event going until midnight, make a character on each side and level to 10 or so it should take under 60 minutes. We had Tier 1 groups on both sides going yesterday since a lot of new people rolled characters.

knox fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Mar 29, 2020

Zombies magazine
Oct 17, 2005

On order side as Syenite

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Server just crashed due to the hard drive filling up lol.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

When I played this game when I came out I was a witch hunter, but I remember melee being pretty poo poo later on. Is this still the case? Or should I just make a swordmaster if I wanna be a melee?

I also like how archmage looks but I'm not sure I'd enjoy playing a healer.

knox
Oct 28, 2004

Eimi posted:

When I played this game when I came out I was a witch hunter, but I remember melee being pretty poo poo later on. Is this still the case? Or should I just make a swordmaster if I wanna be a melee?

Swordmaster that goes 2Handed a lot of the time and does the most DPS of tanks on Order. Witch Hunter is more of a solo-invis/rogue type of class, feel like Witch Elves might be the better mirror.

Currently it's 2x XP & Renown, so getting to level 10 takes a second. I'd advise anyone starting out to make 2-3 characters are level for an hour, see what sticks.

knox fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Mar 29, 2020

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004

Eimi posted:

You're mostly expected to just be a DPS as an archmage, atleast it's the least hated for going DPS.

Zombies magazine
Oct 17, 2005

I'm having the exact same problem I had 10 years ago where all of the different classes aesthetics are cool and idk what to pick

knox
Oct 28, 2004

I'm having the exact same problem I had 10 years ago where all of the different classes aesthetics are cool and idk what to pick

See OP for warning haha; grinding that character screen xp.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
did they ever get around to adding the face accessories from the Collector's Edition in? I miss my beard keg

knox
Oct 28, 2004

Autism Sneaks posted:

did they ever get around to adding the face accessories from the Collector's Edition in? I miss my beard keg

Hmmm I could have swore I seen a engineer with keg beard I'm not sure though? they got the keg trophies so probably.

knox
Oct 28, 2004

My runepope is showing a lot of leg all of the sudden.

Xmaspast
Aug 18, 2014
Definitely going to go back and give this a shot again. I had played it a while ago and it felt kinda janky and the playerbase wasn't great but this was years ago now. Excited to give it ago now while the population is high. Should make for a much better experience and I'm looking forward to it.

knox
Oct 28, 2004

Xmaspast posted:

Definitely going to go back and give this a shot again. I had played it a while ago and it felt kinda janky and the playerbase wasn't great but this was years ago now. Excited to give it ago now while the population is high. Should make for a much better experience and I'm looking forward to it.

There are various ways to make the game run smoother during heavy RvR player loads in a zone, feel free check the links in OP and ask in discord I've been trying everything past few days. Deleting the cache folder regularly and reloading game after a RvR zone flip helps improve frame rate drastically and keep it up during the big RvR fights.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Save your level 40 tokens, they are going to be nerfing prices considerably for the RVR and Scenario gear.

Kevlar Beard
Feb 20, 2010

Super conflicted between Chosen/Mara/DoK.

On one hand, Chosen and tanks are awesome. On the other hand, mara got better for most of the game's content (a bit worse in WB's, with recent morale drain nerfs).

DoK is mainly about being wanted and self sufficient in... pretty much everything. Gotta be a goofy elf though, that's a definite minus.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
About loving time, a lot of the new players are about to start hitting that gear wall. And the prices are outrageous for gear thats 4? tiers below top end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

knox
Oct 28, 2004

PriNGLeS posted:

About loving time, a lot of the new players are about to start hitting that gear wall. And the prices are outrageous for gear thats 4? tiers below top end.

The weapon is the biggest thing to me, that's a large drop since you need the first to get the second I believe. Also scenarios can be a slog when losing. RvR gear grind you can just show up and do minimal to accumulate gear.