Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007
Played a bit last night. The RvR scenarios are fun and the slower combat pace is refreshing, but holy poo poo low level order is getting stomped. I was going to hop on discord after I settled on what I wanted to play. Is there any incentive to keep playing Order while they are disadvantaged?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

knox
Oct 28, 2004

!amicable posted:

Played a bit last night. The RvR scenarios are fun and the slower combat pace is refreshing, but holy poo poo low level order is getting stomped. I was going to hop on discord after I settled on what I wanted to play. Is there any incentive to keep playing Order while they are disadvantaged?

People will tell you Order usually has the advantage overall in ORvR/Scenarios, but to me it's about team makeup and the player themselves. The upside to Order is that the ORvR can get rolling sometimes with the leadership or organization some of their warbands, and that the scenario queues seem to be quicker. Get on the discord to get a guild invite to either side; last two days I've been playing more Destro due to hitting 40 on Choppa and wanting to get gear up in ORvR, but we have multiple people with max level characters on both sides. I'd make a character and an alt on opposite faction if you want to keep grouping with the goons who are active as we play both, I usually put couple hours into each side daily with at least one other person and try to form Tier1 groups for the new people. Out of the 70+ now in the discord there's a solid 20+ that get on consistently, and more than a few of us that play a lot.

knox fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Apr 1, 2020

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
ONCE YOU POP THE FUN DONT STOP
I've been saying this since the new player influx happened:

Everyone loses every scenario. There are no tanks. There are no healers.
On both sides.

It's just a poo poo show of low skilled/new people and its rough.

knox
Oct 28, 2004

Yeah I mean I've tried to search out information on specific rotations people use type of poo poo in every type of situation and it doesn't exist besides a specfic forum post within a random ___ class thread from 2 years ago on the RoR forums. It's not like it's super simple to absolutely maximize your character at every stage in the leveling like an MMO played by a million people and beat into the ground with guides.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

!amicable posted:

It's more that this game really benefits from groups and rolling with a bunch of randos is probably going to disappoint you, especially low level where people haven't yet figured the game out. Grouping with even one other person should change things.

Gymp
Dec 9, 2003

Gymp posted:

Yeah I dunno, this seems fun until you start getting repeatedly rolled. Reminds me of games where they keep trying to get new players, but all the vets keep stomping and drive the new people away.

Just a bunch of zerging death balls in rvr and in scenarios you either roll the other team or you get rolled.

So while this is still sorta true, this game is still pretty fun. I recommend giving it a shot, especially if you dig the Warhammer universe (nerd).

Willias
Sep 3, 2008

Jackard posted:

It's more that this game really benefits from groups and rolling with a bunch of randos is probably going to disappoint you, especially low level where people haven't yet figured the game out. Grouping with even one other person should change things.

At least at low levels, the population favors Destruction so heavily that Order doesn't get to leave their spawn camp in ORvR. It's easily 3v1.

I'm reminded of WoW PvP servers where the faction balance gets skewed too hard and one side just abandons the server so it more or less becomes a PvE server.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Yea well I only play Order and I've seen it the other way around, with our objectives always capped and we're camping their spawn.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Faction population seems overall pretty even, which means that it swings back and forth to favor one side or another at various times. And of course when it's imbalanced the people on the losing side start to log off or go do something else, which pushes it to the 3v1 extreme.

knox
Oct 28, 2004

Organized warbands pumping morales and hitting posterns/pushing organized is what will get you the fort win or defense. Usually Order has more of this from what I've seen.

Destro needs the goon guidance.

Beach Party
May 2, 2012

"I took the most excellent hit of my life. Next thing I knew, I was on the beach taking in some cosmic rays gettin healed by mother nature. Takin in a little brewski, holdin on to a beautiful babe. And I'm fine today!"

Willias posted:

At least at low levels, the population favors Destruction so heavily that Order doesn't get to leave their spawn camp in ORvR. It's easily 3v1.

I'm reminded of WoW PvP servers where the faction balance gets skewed too hard and one side just abandons the server so it more or less becomes a PvE server.

I dont think ive seen Order hold a point in Nordland for more than like 10 minutes before being pushed back. Now once you get into big boy ORvR Order seems to steamroll.

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames
it really depends on when you play tbh

i've seen both sides dominate every RvR area at some point, same with scenarios

knox
Oct 28, 2004

I logged into Runepriest and had first experience with organized warband on Order with discord going, believe it was mostly of two guilds. Seeing how organized they were with pumping morales, that is what drives the pushes into the keep. We moved around to whatever was the most logical thing and kind of steamrolled everyone. That type of stuff I don't think goes on as much at all on Destro. I'm really enjoying splitting my time @ 40 on RP/Choppa and even lower level grinds again, even as guildies fly by me in RR.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Are the devs doing balance changes or leaving the classes as-is? Because WAR talked up the dual nature of healers only for classes like Warrior Priest to just sit back, gain their healing resource through their channel instead of damage, and spam aoe heals. While people DID have some success with the intended dps to heal mechanics, it wasn’t as easy or optimal.

Beach Party
May 2, 2012

"I took the most excellent hit of my life. Next thing I knew, I was on the beach taking in some cosmic rays gettin healed by mother nature. Takin in a little brewski, holdin on to a beautiful babe. And I'm fine today!"

Pants Donkey posted:

Are the devs doing balance changes or leaving the classes as-is? Because WAR talked up the dual nature of healers only for classes like Warrior Priest to just sit back, gain their healing resource through their channel instead of damage, and spam aoe heals. While people DID have some success with the intended dps to heal mechanics, it wasn’t as easy or optimal.

They seem to be tweaking classes pretty regularly. Marauder just got a pretty decent overall damage buff on all their skills while toning down it's moral drain capability. Some classes had mastery abilities switched around and some classes got big overhauls like the squigherder melee line. The melee spec is now based around being in your squig the entire time rampaging around like an angry meatball.

As for the war priest you can use the grace mastery line to do the whole dps to heal thing but unfortunately it doesn't work out well until later in the game when you can get the armor and toughness to actually take a hit. In the early game they get blown up if they are on the frontline.

knox
Oct 28, 2004

Pants Donkey posted:

They've balanced the game to a pretty high quality point. It's nothing like live whatsoever, there;s totally new abilities and class changes.

Kevlar Beard
Feb 20, 2010

I highly recommend rolling a BW or any ranged dps/heals and going straight to ORVR with the zerg in nord or whatever contested area at the time.

I've spent the last hour blasting fools and it's great.

Kevlar Beard fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Apr 4, 2020

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Kevlar Beard posted:

I highly recommend rolling a BW or any ranged dps/heals and going straight to ORVR with the zerg in nord or whatever contested area at the time.

I've spent the last hour blasting fools and it's great.

Tank can be fun too 'cause you can just run out front of everyone with Hold the Line going and survive waaaay longer than you expect. Then when they get frustrated and retarget you drop all your AoEs and smack up some mDPS.

I'd say only mDPS doesn't have much to do. Maybe Witch Hunter/Elf if you like sneaky gankin'.

knox
Oct 28, 2004

I'm going to focus on leveling Disciple of Khaine so I have a healer on Destro side, every single warband is always lacking healers on Destro while Order seems to have 5 Warrior Priests every scenario. Still loving Runepriest and trying to find time to log into it to keep grinding RR and gear, chopp'n with mah fellow gits is the most fun this game has to offer.

The Destro side has kind of become the 'main guild' as it has the most people on. Order guild has 2-3 people on at all times as well. usually average 8-9 people on during later peak hours easily with many others getting on when they find time to group up for RvR. We're starting to have to form warbands to fit everyone on. ORvRing in small group has been super fun.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
If you can't decide between order or destro, just do destro.

fishhooked
Nov 14, 2006
[img]https://forumimages.somethingawful.com/images/newbie.gif[/img]

Nap Ghost
Is a zealot pretty much a mirror of an RP? I may roll one as an alt to my chosen if so

knox
Oct 28, 2004

PriNGLeS posted:

If you can't decide between order or destro, just do destro.

Agreed- if you wanna group with goons roll Destro, if Order is still calling you roll an alt like the people playing both.

fishhooked posted:

Is a zealot pretty much a mirror of an RP? I may roll one as an alt to my chosen if so

Yes it is- insta heals & HoTs, best single-targeting healing. No real damage spec though.

whenimmashoo
Jun 12, 2013

Pants Donkey posted:

The balance team is doing a commendable job but they never solved the false promise of the battle healer role. Archmage and DoK have legit dps specs but it drastically reduces their healing abilities. No class can do that hybrid healing style outside of tier 1 and not be completely blown out of the water by a purist. I mean I guess it's feasible to do you just suck rear end and no one wants you around.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004

whenimmashoo posted:

The balance team is doing a commendable job but they never solved the false promise of the battle healer role. Archmage and DoK have legit dps specs but it drastically reduces their healing abilities. No class can do that hybrid healing style outside of tier 1 and not be completely blown out of the water by a purist. I mean I guess it's feasible to do you just suck rear end and no one wants you around.

dok and wp both have melee/paladin (sword and shield) style melee heal specs that can do pretty well. Though theyre really weak until 30 when you get the spammable group heal + lifetap.

Thats their answer to original dev issues.

hyung
Jul 22, 2012
This game is the bees knees of all MMORPGs. We got guilds on both Order and Destro

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Here’s a super basic overview of classes.

Melee

Berserker: Build ANGRY POINTS, which increases damage dealt AND taken. Can use moves to set Angry Points to zero.
Classes: Slayer & Choppa

Modal: Stances that change the effects of your attacks.
Classes: White Lion & Marauder
Note: White Lion has a pet.

Rogues: Have stealth and build up combo points to use on finishers.
Classes: Witch Elf & Witch Hunter
Note: This is the gank class if you plan on a lot of roaming/solo play.

Ranged DPS

Turrets: You have pets but they are stationary.
Classes: Engineer & Magus

Modal: Stances, and this time they change how effective you are at certain ranges. Has a melee spec.
Classes: Shadow Warrior & Squig Herder
Note: Squig Herder has a pet.

Glass Cannons: Mages that build up energy, which increases spell damage but increases the chance that you blow up and take damage.
Classes: Bright Wizard and Sorceress
Note: Works best with a pocket healer.

Healers

Pendulum: Casting damage spells increases the potency of your next healing spell, and vice versa.
Classes: Archmage and Shaman
Warning: This mechanic is fundamentally flawed, as casting five spells to make one spell better tends to be a waste of time. They are still fun, mobile classes but their mechanic will largely go unused.

Buffers: Largely vanilla healers, but they can grant allies a buff that gives the ally a decently powerful skill.
Classes: Runepriest & Zealot
Note: Real popular for people that love to just heal.

Crusaders: Heals use a secondary resource, which is earned via melee attacks.
Classes: Warrior Priest & Disciple of Khaine
Warning: While RoR has done a lot to facilitate the original vision for these classes, the meta still consists of sitting in the backline and spamming group heals. Melee healing is feasible, even good, but requires more effort and a dedicated group that won’t harass you for it.

Tank

Chainers: You have three levels, certain attacks take you to level B, then another attack requires you to be in level B and takes you to C. The C level attacks then take you back to level A.
Classes: Swordmaster & Black Orc
Note: The best tanks for solo play because of their high damage potential.

Bodyguards: Get really mad when their allies are attacked, building a secondary resource used for powerful attacks.
Classes: Ironbreakers & Black Guard
Note: Tend to be the worst tanks in solo play, but great in groups.

Auras: Emit up to three auras that buff allies and debuff enemies.
Classes: Knight of the Blazing Sun & Chosen
Note: Very newbie friendly, and can have a higher skill ceiling due to aura twisting. Auras last for a few after they are switched off, so you can technically have more than three auras running simultaneously if you can carefully weave aura swaps between attacks.

Zeg
Mar 31, 2013

Am not good at video games.

For anyone still wondering, there are effectively more goons on Destro than Order. I've seen 13 goons online at most on Destro and maybe 5 or 6 on Order with more swapping over to the Destro train. There will be enough for goon only warbands soon enough. There are often a few on Order, but largely doing their own thing/in a random warband doing RvR; but just go destro and make some magic happen with your fellow goons since the trend is what Order is left is rolling to the other side.

Tanks are largely needed with some need for healers and rDPS. This is true for both sides. Rolling mDPS in a blob pvp game will leave you dead, standing around, or trying to catch stray members of the opposite faction out so you can show them how good you are at 1v1 :c00l:

It's a fun game and worth checking out.

Zeg fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Apr 8, 2020

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Pants Donkey posted:

Modal: Stances that change the effects of your attacks.
Classes: White Lion & Marauder
Note: White Lion has a pet.

Modal: Stances, and this time they change how effective you are at certain ranges. Has a melee spec.
Classes: Shadow Warrior & Squig Herder
Note: Squig Herder has a pet.

This isn't quite right. White Lion/Squig Herder and Marauder/Shadow Warrior are the mirrors. WL/SH have pet as their mechanic while SW/Mara have stances.

quote:

Tanks are largely needed with some need for healers and rDPS. This is true for both sides. Rolling mDPS in a blob pvp game will leave you dead, standing around, or trying to catch stray members of the opposite faction out so you can show them how good you are at 1v1

Sort of accurate. mDPS are vital, especially in 24v24 play or when you need to break a well-defended keep or fort, because they bring the strongest AoE specs. Slayer, White Lion, Choppa, and Squig Herder melee spec are all good. However, because Choppas look cool while Slayers and White Lions look boring as hell, Destro is well-stocked with mDPS, whereas Order is over-stocked with rDPS.

admanb fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Apr 8, 2020

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

admanb posted:

This isn't quite right. White Lion/Squig Herder and Marauder/Shadow Warrior are the mirrors.

I’ve never seen it paired like that. WL/mara are mDPS while sh/sw are rdps and that’s a way bigger difference.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

If you look at the skills, there’s more similarities between SW and SH and likewise Lions and Mar. The pet thing was presumably done to mix things up between realms a bit.

My Black Guard is level eight now, and the class is quite fun. I do recommend just basic leveling as a tank for a few levels as for whatever reason they locked the basic tanking skills away for like five levels. And since your starter gear has basically 1 armor each, being a lowbie tank in RvR is like being a crappy mDPS. Early questing experience levels you pretty quickly, the mobs go down fairly fast, and you’ll have some basic gear to upgrade the trash you start in. Quests weirdly lack in gear, so make sure to do PQs for the influence stuff and maybe some lucky loot from the chest.

Once you get some utility skills, then start RvR and never look back :orks101:

knox
Oct 28, 2004

Pants Donkey posted:

If you look at the skills, there’s more similarities between SW and SH and likewise Lions and Mar. The pet thing was presumably done to mix things up between realms a bit.

My Black Guard is level eight now, and the class is quite fun. I do recommend just basic leveling as a tank for a few levels as for whatever reason they locked the basic tanking skills away for like five levels. And since your starter gear has basically 1 armor each, being a lowbie tank in RvR is like being a crappy mDPS. Early questing experience levels you pretty quickly, the mobs go down fairly fast, and you’ll have some basic gear to upgrade the trash you start in. Quests weirdly lack in gear, so make sure to do PQs for the influence stuff and maybe some lucky loot from the chest.

Once you get some utility skills, then start RvR and never look back :orks101:

Man Blackguard has been the slowest to get going, and there's the most buttons by far. But I can see how powerful it can become with all the tools it eventually gets at it's disposal. Enchanter debuff offtank is cool as gently caress. Guild could use more tanks for sure, if there's abundance of heals when my DoK hits 40 I'll level a tank.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
This is easily one of the best MMOs I've played, and I never played it at release.

The Discord is chill and we're all kinda just leveling things up.

Destruction is our main realm, Order we have some players and alts.

knox
Oct 28, 2004

err posted:

This is easily one of the best MMOs I've played, and I never played it at release.

The Discord is chill and we're all kinda just leveling things up.

Destruction is our main realm, Order we have some players and alts.

For real the most fun I've had playing an MMO since I was in my teens.

For those who've played before, it's the best this game has ever been which means it's a top PvP MMO. For new players it's the best time to learn as a huge % of the population is brand new as well.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

How much of the weird stuff Mythic did to cling to subs is in the game? I remember they had no budget so all they could do was increase the renown cap to some ridiculous number, and offer a weird skaven mini game. They intended to have skaven as playable but they knew never going to get the money for a full expansion so they just dumped the assets there.

Bar none the weirdest thing making a second game that was a cross between scenarios and mobas, because Games Workshop are legal eccentrics and EA was unable to get WAR to go free-to-play. I imagine the game would have lasted a few years longer, maybe even still be kicking around today, had they gone f2p.

God, imagine shutting down the servers with an End Times event :allears:

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

I stopped playing in the first year but the Renown Rank cap is effectively the same at launch (80). You can keep earning ranks past 80 but (a) the XP required goes up massively and (b) you don't get any gear or anything for it. There's no Skaven stuff in.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

admanb posted:

I stopped playing in the first year but the Renown Rank cap is effectively the same at launch (80). You can keep earning ranks past 80 but (a) the XP required goes up massively and (b) you don't get any gear or anything for it. There's no Skaven stuff in.

They did just add a skaven scenario.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Kaysette posted:

They did just add a skaven scenario.

True, though it was at least half an April Fool's joke and it's gone already.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
im trying to imagine a world in which this game became super popular and more money was put behind it.

so much more content and expansions could have happened.'

feels bad

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

err posted:

im trying to imagine a world in which this game became super popular and more money was put behind it.

so much more content and expansions could have happened.'

feels bad

Or hell, even if all the money Mythic got for the game was used on it, instead funneling a chunk off to keep DAoC afloat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Or hell, even if all the money Mythic got for the game was used on it, instead funneling a chunk off to keep DAoC afloat.

You got that backwards.