Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Drunkboxer posted:

I’m on team Leprechaun because Warwick Davis tries his very bestest
That's what makes Leprechaun so bad though. They have good make up and Davis being really game and it's just constantly squandered.

The first movie also has a really offensive intellectually disabled character and can't decide if Jennifer Anniston is 26 or 14.

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Mar 26, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Timeless Appeal posted:

That's what makes Leprechaun so bad though. They have good make up and Davis being really game and it's just constantly squandered.

The first movie also has a really offensive mentally ill character and can't decide if Jennifer Anniston is 26 or 14.

Jennifer Anniston can't figure out her character from scene to scene. It's so inconsistent that the one strong player in the movie besides the monster is actually the weakest.

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

Final Gore flows a little better.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I like Leprechaun because I'm pretty sure Jennifer Aniston is embarrassed by it and that amuses me. I enjoy it when super famous actors do bad jobs in their first performances in horror movies that turned out to be cult favorites.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Leo is lucky that Critters 3 is no one's favorite.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

If I had three wishes i could only use on horror movies, one of them would definitely be for Reba McEntire to return to the Tremors franchise

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Its just amuses me so much because you know all those 20 something actors are dreaming of one day being hugely successful and famous but this is just the random, cheap movie they're doing to get their foot in the door and no one will even remember it by the time they get there. And then they fulfill their dreams and get everything they ever dreamed of but that drat cheap cult horror movie won't go away!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

STAC Goat posted:

Its just amuses me so much because you know all those 20 something actors are dreaming of one day being hugely successful and famous but this is just the random, cheap movie they're doing to get their foot in the door and no one will even remember it by the time they get there. And then they fulfill their dreams and get everything they ever dreamed of but that drat cheap cult horror movie won't go away!

Still better than being Cameron Diaz, though.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Lurdiak posted:

Leo is lucky that Critters 3 is no one's favorite.

Leo still probably doesn't like Critters 3 because it's over 25 years old.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Flying Zamboni posted:

Leo still probably doesn't like Critters 3 because it's over 25 years old.

:pusheen:

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Leo was the extra homeless kid who showed up in the dying days of Growing Pains. He's got bigger demons than Critters.

Then again he did Basketball Diaries and Gilbert Grape like a year later.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Franchescanado posted:

Jennifer Anniston can't figure out her character from scene to scene. It's so inconsistent that the one strong player in the movie besides the monster is actually the weakest.
Oh that's not fair. The Hunk is kind of void of any personality and the kid brother is a particularly bad child actor. I know it's easy to just write it off as it being the way with child actors, but Childs Play, The People Under the Stairs, and Friday the 13th Parts 5 and 6 have much more charismatic kids.

Anniston stands out because she's clearly an actress but is flailing and giving a sub-Friday the 13th performance.

A Big Dark Yak
Dec 28, 2007
It's only the end of the world.

Sono posted:

Final Gore flows a little better.

This is definitely the Cryptkeeper pun.

Child's Play is the standout for me this round, if only because it's a franchise that somehow managed to make two direct-to-Netflix sequels that are not only entertaining in their own rights, but also work as solid continuations of, of all drat things, the Chucky film series storyline. None of them should work, but they weirdly do?

But, really I'm just excited that this thread exists so I can vote for Ginger Snaps soon.

(It's on Shudder now. You're locked inside anyway. Watch Ginger Snaps.)

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Heads-Up: We had 41 votes for Psycho vs Jurassic Park. We've had 44 votes for Crystal Lake Division, 1st round. Share the link!

I'm thinking about closing voting once we hit 110% of the previous round each round, instead of waiting a full week, since I think discovery is the important part and interest will wane (we'll go to a full week of campaigning and giving people time to rewatch once we hit the Sweet Six-Scream, because IME that's when the choices get hard, if these early results are anything to go by).

Tell your friends, get your acquaintances/non-goons the link! Share on Twitter! Here's a handy image to go with it:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
drat I love this, I can't wait for Rob Zombie's Universe to win it all

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

COOL CORN posted:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

COOL CORN posted:

I really didn't like voting against my man Rob in the very first round but he drew a terrible matchup. Oh well.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Shrecknet posted:

Heads-Up: We had 41 votes for Psycho vs Jurassic Park. We've had 44 votes for Crystal Lake Division, 1st round. Share the link!

I'm thinking about closing voting once we hit 110% of the previous round each round, instead of waiting a full week, since I think discovery is the important part and interest will wane (we'll go to a full week of campaigning and giving people time to rewatch once we hit the Sweet Six-Scream, because IME that's when the choices get hard, if these early results are anything to go by).

Tell your friends, get your acquaintances/non-goons the link! Share on Twitter! Here's a handy image to go with it:

Man, JLH was really the iconic 90s white girl, wasn't she?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Man, JLH was really the iconic 90s white girl, wasn't she?

It's amazing to think about how much money she probably has. She's been making huge network t.v.(and probably syndication) money for more than a decade, I wouldn't be surprised if she's got 50-100 mil in the bank depending on how good those deals were.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Basebf555 posted:

It's amazing to think about how much money she probably has. She's been making huge network t.v.(and probably syndication) money for more than a decade, I wouldn't be surprised if she's got 50-100 mil in the bank depending on how good those deals were.
Easily beyond that. Party of Five and Ghost Whisperer both went to syndication, she's on 9-1-1 now, multiple movies at her peak, plus let's not forget she was both a kids pop star and continued releasing music through her career.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Shrecknet posted:

Easily beyond that. Party of Five and Ghost Whisperer both went to syndication, she did a third show about being a masseuse, multiple movies at her peak, plus let's not forget she was both a kids pop star and continued releasing music through her career.

Yea I was discounting Part of Five just because that was an ensemble thing where I assumed she wasn't making huge money along the lines of the later shows like Ghost Whisperer.

She was also on Criminal Minds for several seasons, I think she just has a deal with CBS where they put her on whatever they want and that has to be for huge money.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

$150k an episode for Ghost Whisperer for 5 years per Variety. I'd be shocked if she didn't have a similar deal now, plus she was a $4-5m range star at her peak. Can't Hardly Wait, Heartbreakers, 2 IKWYDLS, on and on.

God only knows how much she made off Hanes and ProActiv endorsements.

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Mar 26, 2020

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I was holding off voting trying to watch/rewatch some movies and see arguments. But get it in before it closes.

Psycho over Jason. I have no shame.

Saw over Evil Bong. I have no major love for SAW but...

Wishmaster over Hills Have Eyes? I guess.

Underworld over I kNow What You Did Last Summer. I'm not a fan of the Underworld movies but I HATED those IKWYDLS movies.

Universals over Zombie. I'm sad to see Zombie fall first round but that's not a context.

Hostel over Cube? I never got the appeal of Cube.

Child's Play over Feast. Easy.

Puppet Master over Leprechaun? I think I personally prefer Leprechaun but its not a good series and I kinda want o give PM around until I get around to revisiting it.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

I went IKWYDLS over Underworld because at least IKWTDLS is a horror franchise. Underworld is a video game that blundered onto the screen. Showing me a classic JLH 90's midriff only cemented my decision.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Drunkboxer posted:

I went IKWYDLS over Underworld because at least IKWTDLS is a horror franchise. Underworld is a video game that blundered onto the screen. Showing me a classic JLH 90's midriff only cemented my decision.

For those that might be a bit younger, yes, I Know What You Did Last Summer really was one of those classic slasher events where you'd get your friends together and go(or sneak into) the movies and laugh at the kills to pretend you weren't scared.

So if that means something to you, vote I Know What You Did Last Summer.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

results!!

With 50 entries, there were two very, very competitive matchups and two absolute blowouts. Here they are:

Friday barely edges out Psycho. I feel like this was the true test of Friday the 13th, but it exposes some real flaws in the strategy of "be a trashy series everyone gives undue respect to for longevity" vs an actually good franchise full of stone-cold great movies. We'll see if the sleaze can win out its own division next round vs....

SAW. With almost as many entrants, of the same middling quality, SAW takes down joke entrant Evil Bong. I can't say I'm sad to see it go, but it was fun to be reminded horror doesn't have to be serious.

Andrew Divoff > Michael Berryman. Sad but true. Wishmaster is almost a perfect logarithmic line of decreasing sequel quality, while Hills Have Eyes really only has its first movie and its first remake as good films.

Meanwhile, catsuit beats midriff, just barely, as the fence-sitters who voted for Uwe Boll's Bloodrayne decided the outcome of this one. Seriously, Bloodrayne is Jill Stein and the absence of the Fisherman Slicker Killer in future rounds is your fault.

Feast lost. No poo poo.

Much closer on the "tiny villains" matchup, but Leprechaun's overall badness wasn't enough to sink it vs several OK movies and one overt White Nationalist pro-Nazi film. I assume poor Warwick Davis is walking into the buzzsaw that is Chucky next round.

A bit of a wistful loss, as the Zombie-verse falls to Universal's monsters. Just the way the matchups go sometimes.

And Cube edges Hostel. And by edge I mean absolutely blows out of the water. Both were solid first films with two dogshit sequels, but Cube's first movie was better than Hostel's it seems.

Pittsburgh voting will be up in about an hour!

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I voted for Puppetmaster but I'm actually happy Leprecaun won because I've only seen the first two and I'm gonna watch the rest of them in April. Never seen In Space of In The Hood. So my vote in the next matchup will be more informed.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm glad I logged in early today.

I dont get Cube.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Can't believe Wishmaster made it through. I mean, it's fine for what it is, but... come on.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Drunkboxer posted:

Can't believe Wishmaster made it through. I mean, it's fine for what it is, but... come on.

The Hills Have Eyes has always been overrated due to Craven's name. Conversely, Wishmaster and Wishmaster 2 have always been underrated.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Drunkboxer posted:

Yeah but Michael Berryman is the only memorable thing about THHE. It's a very forgettable movie.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I think Universal Monsters is my horse in this race and I feel like it isn't really getting the respect it deserves. Monster Squad was Tristar and not really related to the Universal movies right?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Timeless Appeal posted:

I think Universal Monsters is my horse in this race and I feel like it isn't really getting the respect it deserves. Monster Squad was Tristar and not really related to the Universal movies right?
Monster Squad was 100% technically "in continuity" with the Universal Monsters and intended to be a shared universe/spinoff series before that was really understood to be a thing.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

I voted for Puppetmaster but I'm actually happy Leprecaun won because I've only seen the first two and I'm gonna watch the rest of them in April. Never seen In Space of In The Hood. So my vote in the next matchup will be more informed.

They are terrible. :(

I actually like Puppetmasters badness and have watched the series multiple times, and I can't stand Leprechaun...

I'm gonna watch a few of the Leprechaun sequels to see if I've softened, but, uh...I doubt it.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Timeless Appeal posted:

Definitely a top contender. One of maybe three of four that I can realistically see winning the whole thing.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm gonna be real salty if the Universals fall to Jason, but with Psycho nearly knocking Jason off I now have renewed hope that he may be a paper tiger.

Although I guess they have to get past Chucky first. I can't believe Chucky is a 7th seed and Wishmaster is a 3. How did that happen?

edit: Seeding has me confused. SAW couldn't have been a 15 seed, right? 15 should have faced the 2? And who was the 4 seed?

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Mar 26, 2020

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

STAC Goat posted:

Although I guess they have to get past Chucky first. I can't believe Chucky is a 7th seed and Wishmaster is a 3. How did that happen?
I definitely did a very poor job explaining the ranked-choice voting, and indeed probably should have had everyone just email/fill out a normal form for their top 16 and used that. Ranked Choice gives some wonky results sometimes when everyone has something as #10 but only one person has something at #5.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

STAC Goat posted:

I'm gonna be real salty if the Universals fall to Jason, but with Psycho nearly knocking Jason off I now have renewed hope that he may be a paper tiger.

I think there's always going to be a disconnect of what movies people prefer when it's an abstract thought experiment vs a tangible written order like a voting system. That and how the series as a whole stacks up. For Wishmaster, you get TWO good movies and one stinker. With Chucky, you get TWO good movies, a stinker, and then a whole slew of sequels of varying qualities that are tonally different than the originals, which makes it a little harder to quantify. I don't have to think about a bunch of movies movies with Wishmaster, I know 2/3s are good. And with a sliding scale of ranking them along with 60+ others, that makes the muddling weird.

The thing about Jason is his movies are that perfect mix of low-brow horror, recognition, and crowd-pleasing. I think anyone could pick their worst Jason movie, get a group of 4 people together, watch it, and still have a good time. That means a lot.

Compared to Psycho, which has two sequels not many people watch because it's very easy to slip into the mindset of "You can't make a good sequel to Psycho, so why even watch it?" It could be the Terminator 2 of horror sequels, but that doesn't mean anything if no one watches it.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

STAC Goat posted:

The seeds were mostly random I think. Not a perfect way to do it but some randomness in the process isn't the worst thing in the world.

Jason is pretty divisive, as shown by the discussions in the horror thread. So I wouldn't be surprised at all if he loses to Chucky and I'd be surprised if he manages to beat the Universal Monsters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

COOL CORN posted:

Yeah but Michael Berryman is the only memorable thing about THHE. It's a very forgettable movie.

I disagree. I think THHE made Berryman by putting him on the poster, not the other way around. I like the dude a lot but that's generally his take on it as well. It's a bit derivative of TCM clearly, but I like how it changes from a slasher to a war of attrition between two families midway through, and I completely love the dog revenge story. Doesn't matter anyway, seems like you got your...

WISH! :spooky: