Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Does anyone with no childhood nostalgia for them care much for the Friday movies? I saw them as an adult and thought they were aggressively ok. I didn't love or hate any of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Basebf555 posted:

Maybe not, but it doesn't really matter. Nostalgia and what the movies mean to you personally is a big part of this, as it should be.

Sure, absolutely agree :)

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Dawn vs Evil Dead 2: judged solely on their worthiness as sequels, I'd have to vote Evil Dead 2. As important as Dawn is to the Dead franchise, when I think of Evil Dead, I think of Evil Dead 2 first and foremost.
Evil Dead 2013 vs Dawn 2004: I liked both of these well enough. I didn't love either. Both work as their own thing and not imitations of the original. The first half hour of Dawn was great, but it lost steam in the second half. I'd say Evil Dead wins this for being more consistently good and because it feels like a bigger gamble to make this with such a completely different tone to the originals when that goofy fun tone was what the franchise was known for. Confession: I haven't seen Night 1990. I might try and do that before the 7th, especially if anyone thinks it's a vote switcher.
Best Gore: Day of the Dead wins this for Romero's Dead franchise. I could practically smell the guts sloop out of the zombies on Frankenstein's table. Judging this on highest highs rather than consistency, because the lovely cg effects of Diary and Survival really bring the average down.
Best Franchise: Romero's Dead The first three entries are so strong yet varied, and the benchmark by which all other zombie movies are judged.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

david_a posted:

Survival can’t possibly be worse than Diary, can it :ohdear:

I'd rank it higher than Diary, which is a low, low bar admittedly.

Timeless Appeal posted:

I would argue that something like I, Zombie that adds tons of wrinkles to zombies like them passing for human as long as they eat brains still has a lot of thematic DNA from Romero's stuff moreso than Twlight or Underworld does with Nosferatu.

I Zombie also has them take on memories and personalities of the brains they eat, which I don't recall seeing done before.