Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
drat thanks for doing this OP. I'm ranking mine based on how much they make my heart go a flutter, and it's quite difficult let me tell you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

married but discreet posted:

Man, how can Alien not win this?

Uhhh because Critters will.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Much to the chagrin of my 12 year old self I gotta go with Psycho. Stronger sequels overall, and the original is one of the best horror movies ever made. RIP to those cool rear end dinos.

edit: It's a minor tragedy that Sleepaway Camp goes up against Evil Dead in the first round.

Drunkboxer fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Mar 23, 2020

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Shrecknet posted:

Fun fact: thats paleontologist Phil Tippett getting some screen time as a thank you. Why does that name sound familiar you ask?

When I originally saw that movie I thought that Phil Tippett was just a Robert Bakker look-a-like and it was a reference to how Alan Grant was originally based on Bakker, but it turns out that being bearded and barrel-chested is just a common look in the field.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

I'll be voting for some upsets though. Return of the Living Dead over Night of the Living Dead!

I can see liking Return over Night, but liking the Return franchise over Night/Day/Dawn?

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Are we considering TV shows as part of these franchises? Like Bates Motel for instance.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Yeah sorry, current situation is making everyone a bit thirsty I suppose.

I'm pleased with Psycho knocking out Jurassic Park! Now in my entirely uninformed opinion of having watched Psycho and not a single Friday the 13th, I think Psycho should knock out that franchise as well.
I have never even heard of Feast, let alone a horror series of that name. I doubt it has a chance against Child's Play, but I am interested to watch. Anyone want to make a case for it?\

Another series we missed is Ring/Ringu

Feast is a bit much. I'm not the biggest Chucky guy really but the franchise has so much iconic wacky crap in it I have to give it my vote.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I’m on team Leprechaun because Warwick Davis tries his very bestest

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Oscar

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

I went IKWYDLS over Underworld because at least IKWTDLS is a horror franchise. Underworld is a video game that blundered onto the screen. Showing me a classic JLH 90's midriff only cemented my decision.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Can't believe Wishmaster made it through. I mean, it's fine for what it is, but... come on.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

COOL CORN posted:

Yeah but Michael Berryman is the only memorable thing about THHE. It's a very forgettable movie.

I disagree. I think THHE made Berryman by putting him on the poster, not the other way around. I like the dude a lot but that's generally his take on it as well. It's a bit derivative of TCM clearly, but I like how it changes from a slasher to a war of attrition between two families midway through, and I completely love the dog revenge story. Doesn't matter anyway, seems like you got your...

WISH! :spooky:

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Ghoulies II and III are good, seminal entries into the small creatures genre (aka, the little puppets flopping around genre). The first Ghoulies is more of a wizard duel movie than a small creatures movie. Ghoulies IV is hardly a Ghoulies at all. While I liked Human Centipede, it's really more of a idea than a film. I mean it does a lot with that one idea, but I gotta go Ghoulies.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

M_Sinistrari posted:

There's a few Witchcraft films I haven't seen yet, but I'd say Witchcraft's better by a skosh than Amityville. There were Amityville films I watched that were so bad I was wondering what favors or blackmail material someone had on someone else to have the movie get a release.

I watched the first Witchcraft last night at around 3 am. I somehow didn't fall asleep, but it was a hell of a struggle. Definitely not what I would expect to spawn 16 sequels.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

LesterGroans posted:

I just voted today and Final Destination vs. Ginger Snaps and Re-Animator vs. Maniac Cop were some really loving hard choices.

In this period of mourning you must vote Re-Animator imo.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Guys, I know you all like the original Predator, it's a 80's action movie slamming into a slasher movie with peak Arnold and Jesse the Body (a sexual tyrannosaur), Carl Weathers and that handshake, Bill Duke... I know it's good. But the rest are bad. Also, check out Critters 2:

I'm votin' Crites. The other close one is Jaws/TCM and I went with TCM because while Jaws is probably my favorite movie ever I like to pretend all the sequels don't exist. TCM at least has TCM2, which I love.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Shrecknet posted:

Predator 2 has Gary Busey, tf you mean "it's bad"??!

The only thing I really like about it is how it imagines 1997 LA as a quasi cyberpunk dystopia controlled by Jamaicans for some reason. Well that and Busey, I guess, but I feel like the more you explain what the Predators are all about the less scary they become. I guess 2 isn’t that bad overall but I’m a Critters partisan.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

If this is the one I think it is it's a major pro click. Arnold's "trick" arm measuring contest is worth it alone. Just a bunch of meat heads.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I don't mind the Conjuring film's so much and Jeepers Creepers should never have existed in the first place, so that's a pretty easy choice for me. I know I'll be pissing in the wind here but I'm going Phantasm over NOES, I just enjoy those movies more. The only one I'm not sure about is Ju-on vs. Candyman. I know I've seen several movies in both franchises but I really only can remember the first one of each.

Franchescanado posted:

edit: I think the secret underdog here, one that's bound to upset a bunch of favorites, is Evil Dead. That's FOUR great movies, three of which have been classics since release. And whether or not it counts in the voting, it even somehow broke the curse of a mediocre television show based off a franchise with Ash vs Evil Dead, which never had a bad season.

And it's incredibly influential. Personally I don't think there's anything except maybe the Universal Monsters that I would put over it in this contest.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

It being in the MCU probably means no R rating I guess. I guess that’s the price you pay when you definitely need your vampire stabber to hang out with spiderman.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

BisonDollah posted:

Sorry, y'all need to have another look at the awkwardly white washed Candyman sequels; they're loving abysmal.

https://twitter.com/RobbJayne/status/1198730657817645059

Yeah after watching (rewatching?) 2 and 3 I'm going with The Grudge. It's not terrible in 2 I guess but in 3 it's too much. Why did they go that direction when there was so many other directions to go? I think it's even a mistake make it about his biological descendants anyway, it distracts from the ubran legend stuff that made it interesting in the first place. Nothing against Tony Todd though, he still kills it.

Drunkboxer fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Apr 6, 2020

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Debbie Does Dagon posted:

I'm just catching up with Sleepaway Camp. I initially thought that nothing could match up to Evil Dead, and maybe it doesn't, but holy poo poo is that a crazy movie. There's no way the rest of the franchise could possibly match the first film, right!?

Like the above posters said you should def check them out, but the original Sleepaway Camp is really a uniquely weird movie. Nothing really matches it in my opinion.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
The only one I feel bad about is voting against Cube, but I have to. I like the franchise a bunch but it clearly slides in quality after the first one, which is more of a cult classic anyway.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

STAC Goat posted:

Clearly when this is all over we need a NIT tournament.

This is a good idea

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I vote based primarily on how many floppy little puppet monsters appear in a given franchise

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
5s definitely way underrated. It’s not one of my personal favs but it’s far from boring and has some iconic moments.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Sarx posted:

I think there's a real point against Friday the 13th in that the iconic version of the character that has the most legacy is really the one from the SIXTH movie forward, and the iconic performance of the character doesn't start until the SEVENTH movie forward.

I voted Friday but it was close for me and I think I may need to go change it.

Hodder is only "iconic" because he's been selling himself to fans for decades at cons and stuff. That's cool in and of itself, but I don't think he's the best Jason. Also, you get full hockey mask Jason in part 3 -yes he's not technically a full zombie there but he's close enough. I mean he'd been "killed" twice at that point, he never talks and he looked like a monster.

For me, all the dumb self-help cult stuff in Saw is enough for me to vote against it. That and the tedious convolution of the plot across all the sequels. That poo poo straight up sucks.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

STAC Goat posted:

My favorite thing about the Ft13 franchise is the way fans just have 100 different theories of how it totally makes some kind of sense if you squint just right. And I think that probably is a big part of why people enjoy it so much. Its like interactive storytelling vs those ones that actually establish a plotline you have to acknowledge.

I call it Death of the Author by Machete (Or Whatever Jason Used Before That).

My favorite thing is all the decapitations

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I was similarly torn between Alien and Re-Animator. I think objectively Alien deserves it, but I voted with my heart and went Re-Animator in solemn remembrance of Stuart Gordon and also because I just love it a ton. There is something to be said about it being a pure horror franchise where the Alien movies swing more scifi and action.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I have a lot of nostalgia for the Ghoulies movies (specifically for the VHS covers) but those first 3 Romero movies are so good. Zombie fatigue is definitely a thing but I can't fault the OG for Walking Dead running it into the ground.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Ghoulies IV is No True Goulie imo.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

Tremors 5 is a whole different discussion than Tremors 6 for me. I actually liked Tremors 5, and agreed with your comment about Jamie Kennedy, he was fine it it. But Tremors 6 was just annoying, and I'm not even sure how to explain it. All the sudden the characters, even Burt, were just grating assholes and I had a hard time not rooting for them to get eaten.

Yeah I’ve seen every movie and the one season of the TV show and 6 was the only one I didn’t enjoy. I even liked the stupid cowboy one.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

Yeah, the one where Christopher Lee hated the script so much he refused to talk.

Is that Scars of Dracula?

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

I've never even seen a Friday the 13th movie but I can guarantee you that Wishmaster is better than any of them. Vote Wishmaster or perish!

I've seen all of both and I couldn't vote against Wishmaster harder. Here's the thing about Wishmaster (I'm something of a Wishmaster expert you see): It sucks and isn't good and is bad and it's lame and it's bad. The first one was sort of ok. That's as much credit as I can give it outside of the lead performance (and Andrew Divoff didn't even stick with the series). Even the first movie is sort of a waste of its horror dream-team cast. The Wishmaster franchise is like if the Hellraiser franchise started off worse.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Class3KillStorm posted:

I have to imagine that the full Djinn costume and makeup were an absolute bitch to work in, let alone get into or out of. The cost and effort were why they kept manufacturing reasons in the first two for him to look human, after all. So, if he wasn't making a seven-figure paycheck each time, I could imagine him just looking at the hassle of that whole process again when they wanted to make a third movie and deciding it wasn't worth it.

That's another thing about those later sequels. The quality of the Djinn costume falls off a cliff.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Does Mary Shelley's Frankenhole count as part of the Universal Monsters franchise? Also does the Monster Bash pinball game count?

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I haven’t thought about it before but I guess I do consider the MCU as a single franchise. It’s a big part of why I stopped watching them, it felt like a chore keeping up with something I only found marginally entertaining.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

No one can defeat Jason.

True. He’s very strong.