Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I voted. Pretty satisfied with myself that I've seen at least one entry in almost every franchise except maybe two of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I'd say the right side of the bracket is definitely the tougher path. Halloween and NOES have to get by heavy hitters like TCM, Jaws, Predator, Candyman, Phantasm and Scream just to get to their regional finals. Friday the 13th and Night of the Living Dead have pretty clear paths to their regional finals and won't have to face any real threats until then.

I'll be voting for some upsets though. Return of the Living Dead over Night of the Living Dead!

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Drunkboxer posted:

I can see liking Return over Night, but liking the Return franchise over Night/Day/Dawn?

The greatness of Return of the Living Dead makes it the better franchise all on it's own. Return of the Living Dead is the best zombie movie ever made.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

STAC Goat posted:

Return is great but like every other film in that franchise is hot trash. Well 3 is ok. It does get minor points for TWICE just taking the same cast from 1/4 and then just doing a new movie with them in 2/5. Ballsy.

But come on. Night of the Living Dead is loving Night of the Living Dead. Dawn and Day are classics in their own right. If we're judging them by quality of the franchise as a whole or multiple good films that's one of the strongest franchises on the bracket.

I love the Romero films, don't get me wrong. That's a really tough matchup and I assume Night will win, Return is obviously the underdog there.

Each person is gonna vote on their own criteria though, it's not necessarily just about consistency. I just love Return of the Living Dead that much, it overrides the mediocre sequels. Same goes for Halloween.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I'm sure Shreknet is already aware of this, but bitching about the decisions of the "committee" is a long-standing tradition of bracketology so please don't take offense.

My main campaign for this round is I Know What You Did Last Summer. Now, let's not get carried away, I Know What You Did Last Summer is not great. But I saw it when I was still young enough to get scared and you know what? A creepy dude hunting high school kids with a hook scared me.

Underworld is mildly entertaining but it also has stretches that are very boring(throughout the series) and the action is really not very good. It's supposed to be like an action/horror mix and neither of them really delivers.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Mar 24, 2020

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Also in the sequel JLH wears a similar outfit but it's raining for most of the movie. Just sayin

And to be a little less creepy, Jennifer Love Hewitt really became famous because of her smile, which is ridiculously hypnotic. Beckinsale never had that.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Feast is memorable because it was the product of a reality show called Project Greenlight, and had some prominent producers like Ben Affleck. So it was more high profile at the time than it probably would've been otherwise.

Goddamnit Fran

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

COOL CORN posted:

drat I love this, I can't wait for Rob Zombie's Universe to win it all

I really didn't like voting against my man Rob in the very first round but he drew a terrible matchup. Oh well.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Man, JLH was really the iconic 90s white girl, wasn't she?

It's amazing to think about how much money she probably has. She's been making huge network t.v.(and probably syndication) money for more than a decade, I wouldn't be surprised if she's got 50-100 mil in the bank depending on how good those deals were.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Shrecknet posted:

Easily beyond that. Party of Five and Ghost Whisperer both went to syndication, she did a third show about being a masseuse, multiple movies at her peak, plus let's not forget she was both a kids pop star and continued releasing music through her career.

Yea I was discounting Part of Five just because that was an ensemble thing where I assumed she wasn't making huge money along the lines of the later shows like Ghost Whisperer.

She was also on Criminal Minds for several seasons, I think she just has a deal with CBS where they put her on whatever they want and that has to be for huge money.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Drunkboxer posted:

I went IKWYDLS over Underworld because at least IKWTDLS is a horror franchise. Underworld is a video game that blundered onto the screen. Showing me a classic JLH 90's midriff only cemented my decision.

For those that might be a bit younger, yes, I Know What You Did Last Summer really was one of those classic slasher events where you'd get your friends together and go(or sneak into) the movies and laugh at the kills to pretend you weren't scared.

So if that means something to you, vote I Know What You Did Last Summer.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I voted for Puppetmaster but I'm actually happy Leprecaun won because I've only seen the first two and I'm gonna watch the rest of them in April. Never seen In Space of In The Hood. So my vote in the next matchup will be more informed.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Drunkboxer posted:

Can't believe Wishmaster made it through. I mean, it's fine for what it is, but... come on.

The Hills Have Eyes has always been overrated due to Craven's name. Conversely, Wishmaster and Wishmaster 2 have always been underrated.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Timeless Appeal posted:

I think Universal Monsters is my horse in this race and I feel like it isn't really getting the respect it deserves. Monster Squad was Tristar and not really related to the Universal movies right?

Definitely a top contender. One of maybe three of four that I can realistically see winning the whole thing.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

STAC Goat posted:

I'm gonna be real salty if the Universals fall to Jason, but with Psycho nearly knocking Jason off I now have renewed hope that he may be a paper tiger.

Although I guess they have to get past Chucky first. I can't believe Chucky is a 7th seed and Wishmaster is a 3. How did that happen?

The seeds were mostly random I think. Not a perfect way to do it but some randomness in the process isn't the worst thing in the world.

Jason is pretty divisive, as shown by the discussions in the horror thread. So I wouldn't be surprised at all if he loses to Chucky and I'd be surprised if he manages to beat the Universal Monsters.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
In a way the more random seeding works because you get more interesting matchups earlier than you would otherwise. It's not like this is a real sport where teams are gonna get all salty about drawing a tough matchup early.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
If The Exorcist loses to The Purge we riot.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Only one tough vote in this one for me, Ginger Snaps vs. Final Destination. I went with Final Destination though, really because of volume more than anything else. There's at least 3 or 4 Final Destinations that I like, versus really only the one for Ginger Snaps.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

STAC Goat posted:

I really debated that one.

I went Amityville just because it's such an iconic story and has such a long horror tradition. The Prophecy is ok I guess.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

STAC Goat posted:

But seriously, Viggo's Lucifer is real good.

Yea I watched the movie just because I'd heard about that scene and it does deliver.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I enjoy Exorcist II. Never got the hate, tbh.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Franchescanado posted:

I've been rewatching the Leprechauns.

The third one is the only one close to being "good" and watchable. Leprechaun in Space is really annoying, and completely forgets the series's own premise. It's like if the 4th Elm Street movie forgot that Freddy only appears in nightmares.

The series is just not good.

I'm still going to rewatch both of the Leprechaun in the Hoods movie, because what's the point of rewatching them if I'm not going to review the most audacious ones, but I'm not happy about it.

I can't believe this trash beat Puppetmaster. Puppetmaster is fun trash, and y'all let Craig S. Zahler's ONE entry among thirteen ruin a fun series with at least four fun entries.

I'm doing the same(first time through for me), and I've only seen the first three so far but yea Puppetmaster 1-3 blow these out of the water.

I do enjoy Davis as the Leprechaun though, he always does a good job and the makeup is good so far.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yea that Jaws/TCM matchup is a tough one. Jaws just had such a huge impact on my childhood. First Spielberg and first legitimately scary movie my parents sat me down and actually showed me(as opposed to stumbling on stuff on cable tv).

Still went with Texas Chainsaw, it's just too good and then throw in TCM 2 and I just think it's the more effective horror franchise. To beat it another franchise is gonna need more than one great movie in it, because the original TCM is one of the most perfect nightmares ever put to film.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Sarx posted:

But there are more Tremors movies that are good than just 1?

The first Tremors is a LOT better than Prom Night 1 or 2 though. Not just as good or a little better. A lot better. It's one of the best monster movies ever made.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Every one of my choices won that round, hell yea.

If I find out the person who voted against Halloween I'm coming after them though.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
NOES vs. Phantasm is tougher for me than probably most other people. I'm really not a huge Freddy fan, between both franchises Phantasm is probably my favorite movie of the whole bunch.

I think a few of the NOES sequels will put it over the top for me though, after Phantasm 2 those sequels get pretty dire. Phantasm doesn't have any sequels as good as Dream Warriors or even New Nightmare.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

gey muckle mowser posted:

Also I confess I’ve only seen the first Phantasm movie, I should try to watch some more before voting!

Definitely at least watch Phantasm II. It's an Evil Dead 2/Hellraiser 2 level sequel. Everything great about the original but bigger.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yea even if you discount Invisible Man, Creature, and The Mummy, the Universal Monsters series that actually was like it's own continuity(I guess we could call it the Larry Talbot Saga) would be a major threat in this tournament.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
The Brendan Fraser trilogy probably should've been it's own entry. Oh well.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

married but discreet posted:

Can someone point me towards a legit good Hammer horror movie? I've been very bored by Vampire Lovers, Vampire Circus and Satanic Rites of Dracula, but I greatly enjoyed Legend of the 7 Golden Vampires and Captain Kronos:Vampire Hunter but I wouldn't call them "good good".

You need to see the OG stuff from the first round of films they did starting in 1957 with The Curse of Frankenstein, then Horror of Dracula in 58 and The Mummy in 59.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Debbie Does Dagon posted:

I'm just catching up with Sleepaway Camp. I initially thought that nothing could match up to Evil Dead, and maybe it doesn't, but holy poo poo is that a crazy movie. There's no way the rest of the franchise could possibly match the first film, right!?

They get campier and funnier but not necessarily crazier or better. Definitely check them out though, they're a lot of fun.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Definitely not a sure thing but yea my money would be on Evil Dead because I just think it's more universally beloved by horror fans. Freddy is very popular, and maybe I'm biased because I'm more of a Michael/Jason guy, but NOES can be a pretty divisive series depending on which sequel you're talking about.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Pretty obvious matchups in this bracket/round actually. Only Wishmaster vs. Underworld has the potential to be a close race.

I'll be voting Wishmaster. For me the Underworld films feel more dated with each passing year.

Franchescanado posted:

Gonna have to watch some Cubes and Underworlds before I cast my vote, fam.

You really don't. But I guess there's no downside to it, you can use them for the challenge after all.

Shrecknet posted:

wow wait what lol

They did a prequel without Beckinsale, then like two years ago she came back and they did another sequel called Blood Wars(I think).

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Apr 7, 2020

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yea I'm glad I did watch a bunch of the Leprechaun sequels this month, I feel more qualified to vote on this matchup. But Child's Play is the clear winner, there's really no individual Leprechaun film that is on the same level as Child's Play 1 or 2. Especially Child's Play 2, which is one of the all time great horror sequels. Leprechaun can't match that.

It's actually a good indicator of the type of franchise that stood a good chance of going deep in this tournament. If you've got a Bride of Frankenstein/Evil Dead 2/Child's Play 2/Hellraiser 2/Dream Warriors level sequel that is a big leg up against most of the competition. It's what I think is gonna end up taking down Halloween in the end, there aren't really any truly great sequels. Carpenter's original is carrying the weight of the entire franchise on it's back.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I think you really need to rewatch Child's Play 2. It's a borderline masterpiece.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yea but I heard the movie really blows so don't get too excited.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I'm talking about greatness here though. Greatness is memorable, people recognize it and I think it holds a lot of weight when a franchise has multiple GREAT films. Not pretty good or even consistently good, but great.

I think the Halloween sequels all fall somewhere in that range of ok(Halloween 4)/pretty good(Halloween 2)/very good(Halloween 3) but none of them ever break through into greatness. I really can't say that any of the Halloween sequels are better than Child's Play 2, Hellbound, Dreamwarriors, or Evil Dead 2, to name a few. And when we get to the real heavy matchups of this tournament I think Halloween may end up going down because of it.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

BisonDollah posted:

Are we including Halloween III?

Voting for the obvious winners but sneakily feel Underworld should be awarded a rewatch more than any of the other losers. Also just want to say I did a Friday the 13th rewatch late last year and a few of those movies are WAY better than I remember.

Yea, this isn't about just the monsters or the slashers. Halloween III was definitely a part of the franchise and intended to start a whole new phase of it where they could do interesting things every year without having to shoehorn Michael in but we all know how that went.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
It's not a problem, having a few unsophisticated rubes in the mix is expected for polls like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

TrixRabbi posted:

I feel like sometimes one legitimately great movie is enough to justify the vote. Like I actually voted Paranormal Activity cause I think it's been underrated due to its level of fame, but there's some matchups (like say Candyman) where I feel like the strength of the original is rightfully enough to carry it. If you wanna weight the averages of the entire franchise, which I think most are doing, then alright. But sometimes there's just a great entry among garbage that deserves the recognition over a series where every entry is just fine.

Yea each person is definitely free to use their own metrics for how to decide their votes, but for me like I said before a truly GREAT film elevates a franchise to a level where I think stuff like Leprechaun or Paranormal Activity or Underworld etc can't compete with. Even if it's just one great film. Multiple great films is where the real boys play, and I definitely think that's what it'll take to actually be the winner at the end.

Candyman is a good example though, any time it goes up against one of the longer running, maybe more consistently good series it will still win out because that first film is a masterpiece.