Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Ok, finally got the voting thing to work (apparently it doesn't work in my new experimental browser, which is a black mark against the browser). I tried to basically go like the franchises with the largest number of good movies went highest not really counting how many bad movies you had against you coughHellraisercough. Then the ones that I don't really know the franchises but they had a great first film. Then the ones I don't really like but I'm familiar with. And finally the ones I don't think I've ever seen a single film of.

I shall try and expand my horizons in April. Except probably not Human Centipede.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I've been meaning to give the first 2 Maniac Cops a watch ever since 2 was part of the Essentials list last year. Just never gotten around to it. So I'll probably make a point to watch them in April. Even though I suspect its not really my thing.

I also really gotta watch Prom Night. That's a little embarrassing.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The funny thing about the "is Jurassic Park horror?" debate is that if it was a cheaply made film from the 70s I don't think one of us would argue it wasn't "horror". But because its a Spielberg Hollywood blockbuster I think it kicks in that "comic book store" instinct. I for one say if Jaws and King Kong and Godzilla are horror than Jurassic Park obviously is. But like if you haven't watched it recently go ahead. That classic scene with the water cup and the t-rex is right out of a horror movie and played completely for tension and fear and horrorific results. As it goes on I think the franchise loses some of that to the big adventure stuff but at least the original is definitely part horror.

But I'm fine with it losing to Psycho because its Psycho.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Return is great but like every other film in that franchise is hot trash. Well 3 is ok. It does get minor points for TWICE just taking the same cast from 1/4 and then just doing a new movie with them in 2/5. Ballsy.

But come on. Night of the Living Dead is loving Night of the Living Dead. Dawn and Day are classics in their own right. If we're judging them by quality of the franchise as a whole or multiple good films that's one of the strongest franchises on the bracket.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

TrixRabbi posted:

poo poo, how did we all miss Silence of the Lambs/Hannibal Lecter?

A very bad snub and why I would have preferred we spent some time "playing in" and choose the field by council/community. But them's the brackets. Always snubs from the mysterious choosers.

Debbie Does Dagon posted:

I only saw it once when it came out, and I thought it was okay. It departs enough from the original Dawn that I didn't think a side by side comparison was necessary. I thought the zombie girl scene at the beginning was well done, I liked the touches of humour, and it introduced me to Richard Cheese, which I appreciated.

I've since seen a lot of discussion about the homophobia in the film, and I can definitely see that. The original Dawn dealt with a lot of race issues, but the racists were always unambiguously the bad guys. So it's disappointing that the remake has homophobes presented sympathetically. It really doesn't feel in keeping with the spirit of the franchise.

What's the homophobia in it? I've seen the Dawn remake a million times and I can't think of anything unless you read a lot into that one quick scene of a dude trying on heels.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Mar 23, 2020

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I thought that would have been one of the things we would have discussed in the nomination period if we had come together for it. Argento's Three Mothers and Carpenter's Apocalypse Trilogy but seemed like the big obvious ones but I'm sure there would have been some others.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I appreciate Skreknet picking up the ball and getting this started, but sadly its not the preferred way I would have seen it gone. But it is what it is.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fjm6gdzhoTs

Scaredy Cats does a quick breakdown of it, he speaks about it specifically at the 14min mark, but the whole video is pretty good and sets up the context

Eh, I don't find his case all that compelling. I don't think Snyder's Dawn has anything to say but to compare it to Romero's films, acknowledge that Romero says the subtext wasn't intentional, and then jump a few decades forward and put a dumbed down zombie film at Snyder's feet is... well he admits its a bad argument but still makes it anyway. And for Snyder's film he draws a lot of messages out of it that I just don't see at all and basically picks out the villains of the story as if they were delivering the moral story. His assertion that altruism is deemed "wrong" is countered by all the characters he doesn't mention, and his assertion that altruism gets you killed... well that's pretty present in Romero's films too and most zombie films.

Also he has a whole thing about "dark comedies" and how some of this is acceptable but not in a movie like Dawn. But Dawn definitely has a lot of dark comedy.

On the homophobia, I've never seen that one scene he showed so I guess it must have been a deleted scene. I didn't actually know for sure the character was gay and I have no idea what's up with that scene from the few seconds. But like focusing on the fact that one of a dozen characters who dies as fodder is gay doesn't strike me as terribly homophobic. I mean it would be better if there was a bad rear end gay character or something but like... he says "sexy lady" is weak to seemingly imply misogyny but the hero of the story is a very pretty lady. But I'll keep an eye out for those deleted scenes to see if there's something there the Youtuber didn't discuss. I own it on DVD so maybe they're there. I just almost never check those out.

I don't know. I think Snyder's Dawn is fun but kind of brainless. Which is basically why I've seen it a ton since I can just put it on in the background and use like a fraction of my brain to stay with it. I'm not much of a Snyder fan in general and mostly find his stuff kind of brainless that people read a lot into. So I don't know if its just people looking for something not there or if I just can't read Snyder or something.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Mar 24, 2020

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Am I right to remember that along with being a Project Greenlight film Feast is notable as being one of the films Jason Mewes' buddies made in an effort to clean him up? Like "get your act clean and we'll make a horror movie you can star in"? Or am I confusing it with Jay & Silent Bob or something?

Man there so many throwaway franchises n this bracket but that Universal Monsters vs Zombie kinda makes me sad. And Psycho will be the first of many I'm sad to see fall to Jason.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I like Leprechaun because I'm pretty sure Jennifer Aniston is embarrassed by it and that amuses me. I enjoy it when super famous actors do bad jobs in their first performances in horror movies that turned out to be cult favorites.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Its just amuses me so much because you know all those 20 something actors are dreaming of one day being hugely successful and famous but this is just the random, cheap movie they're doing to get their foot in the door and no one will even remember it by the time they get there. And then they fulfill their dreams and get everything they ever dreamed of but that drat cheap cult horror movie won't go away!

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Leo was the extra homeless kid who showed up in the dying days of Growing Pains. He's got bigger demons than Critters.

Then again he did Basketball Diaries and Gilbert Grape like a year later.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I was holding off voting trying to watch/rewatch some movies and see arguments. But get it in before it closes.

Psycho over Jason. I have no shame.

Saw over Evil Bong. I have no major love for SAW but...

Wishmaster over Hills Have Eyes? I guess.

Underworld over I kNow What You Did Last Summer. I'm not a fan of the Underworld movies but I HATED those IKWYDLS movies.

Universals over Zombie. I'm sad to see Zombie fall first round but that's not a context.

Hostel over Cube? I never got the appeal of Cube.

Child's Play over Feast. Easy.

Puppet Master over Leprechaun? I think I personally prefer Leprechaun but its not a good series and I kinda want o give PM around until I get around to revisiting it.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm glad I logged in early today.

I dont get Cube.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm gonna be real salty if the Universals fall to Jason, but with Psycho nearly knocking Jason off I now have renewed hope that he may be a paper tiger.

Although I guess they have to get past Chucky first. I can't believe Chucky is a 7th seed and Wishmaster is a 3. How did that happen?

edit: Seeding has me confused. SAW couldn't have been a 15 seed, right? 15 should have faced the 2? And who was the 4 seed?

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Mar 26, 2020

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I don't really care if the seeds are screwy. Its all for fun. Its just the numbers nerd in me not being able to make sense of the seeds.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Agreed. The counter is that it drives me secretly insane.

Which might also be a bonus.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Ok, well I won't waste time this round.

I've never seen Silent Night, but I doubt that would matter if I did since Night of the Living Dead is one of my "stop everything you're doing when its on" movies and Dawn and Day are great too.

I've never seen Human Centipede but that's by design and Ghoulies was fun.

I actually really like Wrong Turn and I just lost out on an ebay lot for the Wrong Turn sequels so I could watch them in April. I think there's a chance they could have won me over here with time since the Return sequels are largely real bad, but if I'm just judging it by the first film its a good one but its not Return.

This is probably the one in this bracket that really could have changed with time. I'm absolutely planning to revisit the Final Destination films in April but right now all I'm left with is my love of Ginger Snaps and my general complete disinterest in FD.

Piranha was another "maybe I'll check it out" but it was probably never gonna beat Alien, which is probably my top 5.

Again, Maniac Cop was on the list but I just rewatched Re-Animator and Bride and I'm comfortable saying they would have won anyway.

Apparently I've only seen the bad Purge movie (and again, April possibility) and I'm planning to do the Exorcist franchise starting tonight. But Exorcist alone probably wins this for me. Plus I LOVE the tv series and people should check it out.

Prophecy? I guess. The original film is actually pretty crap but it has some stellar performances including an A+ Satan from Viggo Mortensen.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I actually really like the Ginger Snaps sequels. Not as good as the first, but they both try and do something very different and work for me. And I just never liked Final Destination. But again, I think this is the one matchup so far that really could have changed through April if I revisit FD and have some of the fun others have with it.

Shrecknet posted:

Piranha really is just in an awful spot. I think Piranha 3D might be the best movie of 2010. It's certainly in my top 10 all time horror movies. Top 10 all-time comedies, too. But the franchise Piranha is just never gonna win anything, and I think as this bracket goes on, we'll discover that having a single all-timer is not as good as just having a long string of pretty-good-to-great movies.

Yeah, I don't feel bad about that one the way I do with some of the others. I've never seen any Piranha and maybe there's a great movie or two. But like, I can't imagine it ever topping the Alien franchise.

gey muckle mowser posted:

Prophecy vs Amityville... voted Bloodrayne

I really debated that one.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Franchescanado posted:

Piranha 1 and 3D are really fun.

I've added both to my long list for April. Which has gotten very long. But they do seem like the kind of palette cleansing movies I sometimes am looking for.

Basebf555 posted:

I went Amityville just because it's such an iconic story and has such a long horror tradition. The Prophecy is ok I guess.

I actually meant I debated Bloodrayne.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

But seriously, Viggo's Lucifer is real good.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Ginger Snaps 2 is basically the classic "fallout" sequel of what happens to Brigette afterwards when she's been bitten, has all these bodies and impossible to believe story gets her institutionalized/sent to rehab, and there's still the OG werewolf out there. It goes on Emily Perkins' acting and is pretty solid. Its also got a young Tatiana Maslany (Orphan Black) in the secondary role.

Ginger Snaps Back is a totally different story about the two actresses playing sisters Brigette and Ginger in frontier times and werewolves. Its a fun different take.

They're both really solid and fun. Not as good as the original but doing different things than the original and not feeling like boring sequels for the sake of sequels.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Sono posted:

Then watch Exorcist II, Dominion, and the Beginning.

Do not commit self-harm during these trying times.

Look at this guy mocking my plans for tonight.

edit: For real, my plans tonight are to watch Exorcist II and Poltergeist III and I'm having serious second thoughts.

I watched Exorcist, Poltergeist, Re-Animator, Bride of Re-Animator, and Candyman over the last few days. But suddenly I've discovered my flaw in binging multiple franchises at once plan when you hit all their low points at once.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Mar 27, 2020

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

In my brief prep work research for Exorcist II the consistent theme seems to be "one of the worst films of all time."

That combined with some bad childhood memories of Poltergeist III have me spooked and reworking my "schedule." But I have to watch Exorcist II if I'm gonna watch Exorcist III before the month is over.

And yes. I have to.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I decided to give the Leprechaun series a watch, seeing as I'd never seen them before. Within the first half hour of the first movie I realised that I'd actually seen it before, and my mind must have completely scrubbed the memory asif it were a severe childhood trauma.

When I was young for some reason Leprechaun was airing on HBO or something like everyone in school watched it and was talking about it the next day and I was like "I set the video tape because it was on after my bed time" and I was mocked mercilessly because I hadn't realized everyone else had lost their bed times by then.

So Leprechaun traumatized my childhood too. :hfive:

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm tempted but gently caress Uwe Boll and up with Viggo as Satan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CiuSr-6xP4

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

For anyone else curious about The Prophecy, a content warning: It contains a scene of a child being groomed and then sexually assaulted, and the perpetrator is portrayed as a heroic character. It's explained away as innocent in the context of the film, but JFC, who the gently caress thought that scene was a good idea :gonk:

Is this the thing where Eric Stoltz's character "hides the soul"? I definitely think that was creepy and weird and I'm not sure why they had to do it that way but I feel like they definitely leaned real hard in what it looked like in the film and the angels in the film are at best presented as "uncomfortably distant and patronizingly morally" and not really "heroic." Matter of fact I feel like the basic moral of the movie is that the angels putting an innocent girl in the middle of this poo poo showed how "evil" they all are and that's how Lucifer somehow ends up on the good side for his own evil reasons and the humans are the good guys.

But its been awhile. And its not like I think Prophecy is a good film or anything.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yep, that's the scene. I only say heroic because the character sacrifices himself in order to protect the child's identity,
Yeah but I think the end realization is that his concern isn't the child's life, its his war. He's endangering the child for the sake of his war's side. He hide the child's identity so the other side didn't get it. But yeah, at that stage of the film when it happens its a little uncertain and a weird and creepy scene. I do think I probably get why they wanted it to be unnerving and bad, because I think the idea was supposed to be that we're all just "talking monkeys" to both sides. But yeah... a sketchy scene.

drat it. Now I'm adding the Prophecy franchise to my April list. This is getting ridiculous.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The book was a huge deal once upon a time because it was all "true story" and shocking and stuff. But then of course it got all discredited and debunked and the legacy is that it was all a scam.

Also now I want to see a Warlock/Prophecy crossover film. Maybe toss in Wishmaster. Lets have a D List '90s monster mash.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The series should prop it up too. The series is great.

There's parts of 2 and 3 I like but I wouldn't really fight for either. But I really like that both found a way to try and do something very different while still holding true to the Catholic/Jesuit core of the first film (and the series). That's not like a theological thing, its just that all the films FEEL like they're part of the same thing which isn't the case with a lot of horror sequels that try and go down a new path but do so at cost of any connection to the franchise. Halloween 3 would be the obvious example.

Nightmare, Chucky, and the Universals would all still maybe beat Exorcist in my book but it might be part of my personal Final Four. Bracket wise Universals and Chucky will have to get past each other but I could see Exorcist and Nightmare advancing. The Haddonfield Bracket is the one I have no idea about. I could see Texas Chainsaw Massacre or Hannibal Lecter sneaking through. That one seems wide open.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Mar 30, 2020

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I have no actual evidence or argument of this but I suspect the number of people who have actually watched the Human Centipede and its sequels to judge it fairly are greatly outnumbered by the number of people who are vaguely aware of it and got scared away.

But I could be projecting.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I've actually never seen Predator.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I've actually seen Predators and Alien vs Predator. Just never the original.

I've been meaning to sit down and watch all the Predator films along with a rewatch of the Alien films since like December and just haven't found the time. I'd include it in April but that feels like way too much of an investment and I rather keep it a little looser with options. Its like... 11 films combined? And at least in my head Predator (and mostly Alien) feel more "sci fi" than "horror" (which is not to say that I don't agree they have a lot of horror in them). But maybe I'll sneak the first one in before the 3rd. But the OP wants me to get Prom Night and Prom Night 2 in too so its a time crunch.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I kind of feel the same way about Alien where I feel like the 1st one is a haunted house/slasher film, the second is more of an action/slasher, and after that I think it gets more sci-fi-ey.

Its been something I've been meaning to do. Its just a lot to invest in because I want to connect Alien with the vs movies and I want to rewatch Prometheus and I've never seen Requiem or Covenant. So like... a project for another time.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Mar 31, 2020

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I actually really enjoy Predators and have weirdly seen it a bunch even though I've never seen the preceding ones. I wouldn't call it a good film, but its a fun dirty dozen action thing with a real good cast. But I wouldn't rush to call it "horror." I wouldn't fight it either, though.

But Critters holds a special place in my heart and Critters 2 is real good. And since we're doing the April Challenge (I hope) they should stay alive long enough for everyone to watch Critters 2 on Easter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsIWTm8kOGY

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Mar 31, 2020

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think we've agreed that stuff like Bates Motel, Ash vs the Evil Dead, and the Exorcist TV series count so I see no reason why the Hannibal TV series wouldn't.

Speaking of, what the gently caress happened to the Critters TV Series? Wasn't it a Shudder series? But its not on Shudder?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I threw Jaws a vote just because I assume TCM is gonna run away with it and I like the original Jaws more than I do the original TCM and all the sequels I've seen are meh at best.

But I'm planning to go down the rabbit hole with TCM in April so maybe I'll do so quick enough to switch my vote. But like I said, I don't expect it to really be a race.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I really like TCM. I didn't expect to. Not the first time I watched it and not a few days ago when I rewatched it, but I really do. And I'm struck by how it manages to largely avoid being "perverse" or "gratuitous" or any of the negative things someone like me might assign to the subgenre it defined but doesn't sacrifice any "brutality" or horrific stuff. Its just a super good movie and I watched it like the day after I watched Poltergeist and realized once again how loving talented Tobe Hooper was to be able to do so many kind of films so well.

But I like Jaws more. If I thought this was gonna be a contest I'd consider the "which is more horror question" or rush to watch Jaws 2 and TCM 2 to compare franchises. But I'd be truly shocked if Jaws is anywhere near this so I'm gonna be an irresponsible voter.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Shrecknet posted:

Everyone needs to watch Prom Night 2 before voting.

I voted before watching Prom Night 2. But then I watched it, and Prom Night. I actually liked Prom Night more. A slasher I enjoyed and thought was very well done. Prom Night 2 is a trip. Not a good film, maybe a bad film, certainly a messy film, but a fun film.

Now Tremors is a good and fun film. And I get some enjoyment from some of the sequels. But that 1/2 for Prom Night I do believe has flipped my vote in the 11th hour. If I were just judging Tremors vs the two I'd pick Tremors. One good and fun movie over one good movie and one fun movie. If I could only watch either ever again it would be Tremors. But this is comparing franchises and in that case I think I have to go with the simple 2>1 math.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Apr 3, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Sarx posted:

But there are more Tremors movies that are good than just 1?

I've only seen the second and don't remember thinking it much better than "ok". If I had more time I'd dig into them but time is our enemy.