Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

Hollismason posted:

No way Exorcist doesn't make it to the final bracket.

Hollismason posted:

However only the first one is good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

Feast is the "turn it up to 11" of horror movies. It's completely over the top. It does make for a good binge watch since the trilogy flows together really well.

It's not taking out Child's Play though.

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

Final Gore flows a little better.

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

I had to go with Ginger Snaps. I like both franchises and put the FD series on as background noise a lot. They're fun, but the first Ginger Snaps blows them away and the sequels are pretty good. It's not like they're embarrassments to everyone involved in the franchise like the Exorcist II.

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

M_Sinistrari posted:

Having sat through all the Amityville films in the last October Ironman, I can honestly say that No, not by any stretch are there any 4 films in the franchise that's better than 4 in the Prophecy franchise.

Agreed. I'll watch about anything, and not only are all of the Amityville films bad, most of them commit the gravest sin - being dull.

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

Timeless Appeal posted:

My guess is that this head to head won't come up, but how does it stack against Witchcraft?

Amityville movies run between boring and bad.
Witchcraft runs from bad to entertainingly bad. The Amityville movies are probably "better" by somewhat objective measures, but, given no other option, I'd rather watch Witchcraft.

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

Shrecknet posted:

I will tell you, based on early results, it is entirely possible for Uwe Boll's Bloodrayne to win one of these matchups.

Ghoulies/Centipede?

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

For those of you who think only the first Exorcist is good, please watch the movie of the month and repent.

Then watch Exorcist II, Dominion, and the Beginning.

Do not commit self-harm during these trying times.

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

STAC Goat posted:

Look at this guy mocking my plans for tonight.

edit: For real, my plans tonight are to watch Exorcist II and Poltergeist III and I'm having serious second thoughts.

I watched Exorcist, Poltergeist, Re-Animator, Bride of Re-Animator, and Candyman over the last few days. But suddenly I've discovered my flaw in binging multiple franchises at once plan when you hit all their low points at once.

I watched Slithis on Prime, which sent me to the promised land of early 70s D-films. I'm now on Garden of the Dead. How low can this quarantine bring me?

Bad Ben marathon. It will definitely be a Bad Ben marathon.

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

Shrecknet posted:

Halloween, in some form or another, has actually come close to Witchcraft's 16 sequels. But none of Witchcraft's sequels have Busta Rhymes in them.

Yet.

Sarx posted:

And while Jaws vs. TCM as singular movies would be a difficult choice, as franchises it's not even close. There are no good Jaws sequels. Most of the TCM sequels are at least watchable and 2 is almost as good as the first one.

I just rewatched all four Jaws movies and agree. 2 is a lot duller than I remember, and 3 & 4 are terrible.

M_Sinistrari posted:

the shark's reasoning.

Three word summary of why you should vote for TCM.

Sono fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Mar 31, 2020

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

Splint Chesthair posted:

Correct, but the Jaws series doesn’t have a moment where the shark types “FOOD” on a Speak and Spell when it wants him to spell “BRODY.”

Ahh, I see that you've read the rumored Jaws 5 script.

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

Not counting the Invisible Man because of how loosely connected they are? I'd be a bit curious about how people would treat a horror franchise where 3 of the 6 entries aren't horror movies.

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

Franchescanado posted:

It's all to taste, for sure, but I think it's a point in Jason's favor that we can argue which is our preferred design separate from which film they appear in. Plenty will tell you Part 7 has the best design even if they hate the movie. FvJ has issues, but it's not the Jason design. And I love Burlap Sack hillbilly Jason, it's a creepy design. They even still use it for Halloween Horror Nights Friday the 13th houses!

You left out Jason X, but really...

It's poo poo. Even the pre-Uber Jason mask, while preserving the scar in the upper-left, looks terrible.

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

feedmyleg posted:

Everyone who has never seen Ghoulies 2 should watch it tonight and tip the scales :coal:

I just watched the first two, and they're a lot more fun than I remember, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to stick with Romero here.

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

Despite its presence in the tournament, I don't think I knew Pumpkinhead 3 and 4 existed until now.

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

FilthyImp posted:

I'll add one thing to the Alien/Exorcist discussion. I was talking to a guidance counselor in middle school once and the topic of horror films came up. She mentioned that she didn't really watch the films of the era because they were too out there or too gory.

But The Exorcist? The Exorcist loving terrified her and her family. She was a semi-devout Catholic, and she mentioned that the film portrayed something that she was brought up to believe could happen. The film captured something about that previously abstract idea and made it tangibly horrifying for her.

I can't seem to track down a clip, but there's a stand-up bit that really hit me, being raised Catholic, about WASP parents not letting their kids watch horror movies and Catholic parents making their toddlers watch The Exorcist and going "See? That's what happens if you gently caress around."

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

With both polls finishing at 65.4% to 35.6%, I'm curious about the splits. Just a coincidence, or were there disproportionately large groups of Halloween+Ash and Hannibal+Freddy ballots?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

SomeJazzyRat posted:

If Jason gets to the final round, those who think 8 is the best film will be the first against the wall.

So, no one?