Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I have very fond memories of discovering The Prophecy on Sci-Fi in college so it easily wins. I really miss those days of uncovering completely new-to-me movies like that. “Wow look at that preview for Mindripper, it looks awesome!” (Editors note: it is not awesome)

I’ve seen at least three of those dumb movies.

Also this song is stupidly catchy, plus I can think of this one with samples too. I think “amount of prominent samples in 80s/90s industrial” will be a prominent grading criteria for me going forward

I completely forgot Virginia Madsen was in Prophecy, holy poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Basebf555 posted:

Definitely at least watch Phantasm II. It's an Evil Dead 2/Hellraiser 2 level sequel. Everything great about the original but bigger.

I liked Phantasm III better than II because the lead had, like, negative charisma in 2. III embraces the camp more too.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

alansmithee posted:

Someone sell me on the original Universal monster movies. I've actually never seen them (or at least not in their entirety, I'm sure I've picked up scenes here and there and they obviously have a large cultural osmosis effect going on). Do they still have any sort of impact today, or is it basically a case where they're classics so people are really valuing them for their historical import? A lot of movies I've seen from that period just have not aged well to me, even compared with some things that aren't that much more modern like a lot of Hitchcock stuff.

I’ll probably get hanged for this but I think Frankenstein is borderline too early. It’s still good, but everything feels very strange from a modern perspective. Bride, on the other hand, is only 4 years later but it’s a massive improvement in, like, everything. They manage to use the sets better, the lighting is an order of magnitude better, there’s some crazy camera angles, better pacing, etc. I was blown away when I found out both movies had the same budget, because Bride looks so much more lush and filled out.

I really like The Invisible Man too; I think I had read the story before I saw it the first time and was pleasantly surprised that the scope is a bit bigger.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
RotLD vs FD was the hard one. I voted for the franchise this time since FD is pretty consistent and RotLD, well, isn’t.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Given how complicated some of these franchise discussions are I wonder if there’s an argument for including Invasion of the Body Snatchers in the next iteration. There’s not any continuity between the various films (other than the gag in ‘78) but honestly some of these “franchises” don’t have much continuity anyway. If treated as a whole it would easily beat some of the garbage tier stuff and I think it would be interesting to see how far it would go.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Debbie Does Dagon posted:

I hate to be predictable, but you're 100% right. I think 6 would have been okay if you could somehow remove the plot and half the characters from the film. When Michael is stomping around doing Michael things it's fine.

I don’t know that I would agree with that; I remember the Michael scenes feeling pretty tired

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Debbie Does Dagon posted:

Michael stabs a guy through the abdomen, lifts him up by the wound, stabs him into an electrical box, and then electrocutes him to the point where his skin begins to boil, and then his head explodes in a shower or brain, gore, and sparks. That was pretty neat.

I’ve only seen The Producer’s Cut since it was supposedly “better” and the last half of that doesn’t happen in it :(

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Come on there’s gotta be some fellow H2 haters in here

I’ve been itching to vote against this franchise because of that movie but all the alternatives were worse.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Basebf555 posted:

Can you elaborate on what you hate about it? I really don't see anything to hate.

The horse thing was incredibly pretentious, Sheri Moon puts in a career-low performance, Scout Taylor-Compton was grating and annoying, there’s a 20 minute fake-out dream sequence, a continual disturbing focus on mixing exploitative female nudity with violence, and the sappy Love Hurts cover over the slow-mo ending was one of the most unintentionally hilarious things I’ve ever seen.

I strongly dislike Zombie’s movies in general and this is easily my least favorite of the ones I’ve suffered through.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
The graphics are fun but could you also put the names of the franchises below it? I had to look up who Ash destroyed since I didn’t recognize Kirsty at first under all that stuff.

I don’t have a preference for the discussion.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Timeless Appeal posted:

I feel like Day of the Dead and Aliens are a good match up as well. Both pull the trick of giving you these hyper-competent action movie characters only for it to be revealed that nope, you're still watching a horror movie.

LOL who does that describe in Day? None of the army dudes seemed remotely competent.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
F13 vs Universal is easy; F13 never rises above “guilty pleasure” at best

Alien vs NotLD hurts.

I haven’t made up my mind yet, but Land of the Dead was a pretty big deal when it came out. Even NPR was talking about how Romero finally made another zombie movie. And I got to see it in theaters! Mind blowing at the time

I also want to take a minute to appreciate Charlie. How many other movies have a major character with a disability but they never come off as annoying or demeaning.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
RIP Frankie Mon :smithcloud:

Taken out by trash like F13 too, insulting

Ash is the obvious standout in this group.

I honestly don’t feel too much attachment to either Halloween or Lecter so I’m voting for the one with no Rob Zombie movies.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Sono posted:

So, no one?

lol you can’t be that naive

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Hollismason posted:

Begun the Ranking Wars have
I refuse while there is still a chance to put that tired series down. If the nightmare scenario of Halloween v F13 is the final, I’m all for drowning out the actual vote with a massive flame war of deciding which F13 is least bad.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Amazing this is literally the best news I’ve heard all day!! Praise satan

My mind says Night, my heart says Evil... for now.

Just rewatched the first Evil Dead yesterday. Hadn’t seen it since I was a moron high schooler so it was practically a new movie. I had no memory of it being the goriest of the first three and there was more goofy humor than I remember.

Romero’s movies though, holy poo poo.

I’m gonna have to think about this one

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

STAC Goat posted:

Also Ash would have such an easy time with Romero zombies, man. They're so slow and dumb and stay down.

Yeah but Ash isn’t exactly a rocket scientistChinese Jet Pilot and Romero’s zombies prey on the overconfident and stupid

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Bruce is perfectly happy playing sidekick characters according to interviews I’ve heard. He doesn’t really consider himself to be a leading man.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Hey can the first post be updated with the voting link and info

Going back on the mobile apps is kind of a pain

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Basebf555 posted:

And that includes the 1990 remake by the way. I think the gore in that movie certainly would at least match the Evil Dead remakes gore.
I just got done watching NotLD 1990 five minutes ago and it was pretty tame in the gore department. Some of the makeup on the zombies was pretty creative but I don’t remember any real splatter. Certainly nothing close to Day.

I’m pretty excited that I might actually be able to watch all the movies in this matchup before the deadline. Technically I had seen Night 90 before but I didn’t remember much of it. Still have ED 13 and the two last Romero movies to go, although I might skip Survival if I hate Diary.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I did it, I finally made it through all nine hours of Diary of the Dead! Just one more movie and I’ll have watched every movie in both franchises (and 2/3 of the series, but I don’t know that S3 would change my opinion of that show at all).

Survival can’t possibly be worse than Diary, can it :ohdear:

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Woo I made it, watched Survival of the Dead and Ash vs Evil Dead S3 back-to-back (my head hurts). This is the first matchup where I can in clean conscious say I’m voting based on the entirety of both franchises.

Remake - Night 90 wasn’t as good as I remembered it being. It’s not bad, but the best parts are when it strays from the original movie and the worst when it apes it too closely. I thought that ED 13 would take this but it turns out that movie wasn’t my style at all. No humor seems like a sin in an Evil Dead movie. Other than the gore I don’t know what stands out about this movie and I’m not really a fan of that type of sadism. Romero for me. For it’s faults, Night 90 at least feels like NotLD.

Gore - Army of Darkness being one of the core movies and also practically being PG-13 really hurts ED here. Day practically wins it on its own - Steel blowing his brains out, that one guys scream changing pitch as his throat is ripped out, Rhodes... The rest of the series isn’t really a slouch either. Land among others has some memorable moments (that zombie scooping guts out of somebodies mouth stuck with me). ED has its plenty of its own moments too but I gotta go with Romero here again for more lasting images.

Sequel - Evil Dead II is one of the most insane movies ever made and kinda set me up for continual disappointment when I discovered so few other movies swing for the fences like this. Dawn is great too though, jeez. I’m gonna go with Evil Dead II on this one for being more rewatchable (being considerably shorter helps).

Franchise - For Evil Dead it’s only the remake I don’t like but I’m not sure I would really call it bad. Season 3 of Ash vs Evil Dead felt like it saved the show for me. Maybe it was just due to taking a long break from it, but Ash felt uncharacteristically gross in the first two seasons. For Romero, Diary is just bad. So, so bad. Survival felt like what I expected the drop in quality to be after Land. It wasn’t just the trash effects and acting that bothered me, the writing seemed really preachy and self important and it did an absolutely miserable job justifying why somebody would keep filming instead of dropping the camera and helping out. Is that enough to tank the series? Well... no. The first four films are strong enough that I know I’ll rewatch them in the future many times and include a nearly universally admired classic in Night. With Evil Dead I feel like realistically it’s just ED2/AoD I’ll come back to. Romero wins even just when comparing quantity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
A director tournament with some added twist would be fun, like randomly picking one of the director’s movies for each round. Ghosts of Mars going up against Survival of the Dead isn’t what anybody would naturally leap to for a Carpenter vs Romero matchup.