Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
drat I love this, I can't wait for Rob Zombie's Universe to win it all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Drunkboxer posted:

Can't believe Wishmaster made it through. I mean, it's fine for what it is, but... come on.

Yeah but Michael Berryman is the only memorable thing about THHE. It's a very forgettable movie.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Shrecknet posted:

Exorcist is merely a vector for a pretty good score.

EXCUSE YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Edit-- whoops wrong horror thread

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Yessss I actually agree with all of these :f5:

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Shrecknet posted:

Thoughtslime has a good explanation of how much Basket Case owns

https://youtu.be/a45yD3e_RFY

Okay I'm sold but why does this guy look like he's been crying the whole time

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Hollismason posted:

TCM is possibly the greatest horror movie ever made you loving posers. Jaws has one good film.

a correct post

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I just watched Frankenstein the other day and it was still dope as hell

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Yeah but they have to be legitimate series. The Howling is only...

...wait, what?

There's EIGHT Howling movies???

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
drat it the virus is spreading

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Franchescanado posted:

The new 4k scan of TCM just makes it absolutely an amazing film experience. TCM2 is amazing, but TCM now is one of the best looking horror movies ever made.

Ghoulies 2, Hellraiser 2, Evil Dead 2, Final Destination 2, Nightmare on Elm Street 3, Friday the 13th 2, Critters 2, Leprechaun 2, Child's Play 2, Gremlins 2, Puppet Master 2, Bride of Frankenstein, The Devil's Rejects, Rob Zombie's Halloween 2, Saw 2, Dawn of the Dead are all better than their originals.

I wanted to refute a SINGLE one of these points but I cannot.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

TrixRabbi posted:

I never saw the remake, how is it?

Shockingly good. One of the better horror remakes there is.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Currently brainstorming a thesis on how Scream and New Nightmare are both perfect meta horrors that were death knells for the slasher genre, but both spawned two distinct family trees of modern (or post-modern I suppose) horror.

I've had a few drinks, so I'll probably forget all about it in the morning.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Friendship ended with Schrecknet

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Shrecknet posted:

please please please don't ask how long this took

IT'S HIS TURN

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Basebf555 posted:

Yea definitely if you're just gonna watch one make it Exorcist II.

Reminder that Exorcist II is directed by John Boorman(Excalibur, Deliverance, Point Blank).

Exorcist II is a fine movie on par with some of the post-Exorcist "The Exorcism of______"-esque movies. It just looks bad in comparison to the original because it's a little bit cheesy.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I would enjoy seeing a more granular bracket sometime though, as opposed to just "anything Universal made in the 30s" vs. "anything Hammer made that's analogous to what Universal made". I get why we can't have like 6+ entries from each in this bracket, but it is a bit broad the way it is.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I have a tarman/juicy zombie sticker on my car so I'm legally required to vote that way.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
TCM beats Halloween for me, but it's a close one and entirely personal experience-based. TCM was the first horror movie I ever saw (in 4th grade because I got the VHS from the library and the librarian apparently wasn't paying attention to what I was getting? And I have no idea why it was at my tiny town's library in the first place?) and informed my horror preferences for my entire life. The first film is, no hyperbole, a masterpiece. Every shot, every interaction, it's an absolute master class in filmmaking and sound design. It's hard to think about legacy in terms of these two franchises though. It seems like every movie that I really love (grimy slashery murder horror) is an absolute combination of both TCM and Halloween in its genetic makeup. BUT, when I really stop to think of it, I think most of what I love pulls more from giallo than Americanized slashers. And for that...... I have to give it to TCM.

Hannibal-verse beats Tremors. This one's easy for me. SotL, Manhunter, good lord the incredible TV show. I mean, gently caress, the movie entered the cultural zeitgeist for a GENERATION, and the TV show is hands down one of the best of its DECADE. No contest for me.

Freddy beats Scream, but it's also a close one. I think they're both equally good in their own ways, but I don't think we'd have the Scream franchise without the Nightmare franchise. For that, and for the fact that I just LOVE the Freddy movies to death, it gets my vote.

Evil Dead beats Hellraiser, but... ugh I hate to do it. drat it, these choices are getting really hard to make. Hellraiser holds an incredibly dear place in my heart, but Evil Dead 2 and Army of Darkness were touchstones of my youth, and then the Evil Dead remake is one of the best horror remakes I've seen. Hellraiser had a good first movie and a decent second movie, but that's it. And I think Evil Dead is far more influential in horror than Hellraiser was. I dunno, this one's all gut feeling for me. If anything, they were tied until I thought of the Evil Dead remake.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Debbie Does Dagon posted:

The Rob Zombie films in particular were a delight.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Franchescanado posted:

I remember JEH talking poo poo about Freddy as a character, the Elm Street series, and I believe Englund's performance, in a holier-than-thou approach to salvaging his rep with the film bombing. Killed a lot of good will I had towards the guy.

Yeah it seemed like the whole Nightmare remake just didn't... Get Freddy. Or didn't like Freddy? I dunno, it's so weird.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
The 2010 remake focusing on the pedo angle is particularly gross when we have 20+ years of ex-post-facto knowledge of how Freddy became a cartoon caricature of himself - kid's toys, talk show appearances, a prime time TV show, collaborations with rappers, etc. He's no longer just "a villain monster in a movie made for adults", he's part of the cultural zeitgeist, and loved by kids (even if they're not aware of some of the darker parts of his backstory), so choosing to focus on those gross dark parts of his backstory is an awful choice.

I'm not saying horror movie villains shouldn't be despicable, I'm just saying that Freddy is a unique cultural touchstone in that regard.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I voted with my gut but I'm not quite ready to explain my choices because I'm not entirely sure I made the right choices :ohdear:

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Invisible Man above Bride of/Frankenstein???????????

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Wow, I didn't see those wins happening, but I'm glad because I voted for them :)

Excited to see Halloween and NOES in the finals :smug:

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
AAAAHHHHRGGGGHHH >:(

I guess it's the will of the people

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I don't want to make riot jokes right now, but if NOTLD doesn't beat Evil Dead I will be VERY CROSS, YOU HEAR ME

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Evil Dead 2 is practically (loosely) a remake of the first movie. It hits all the same beats. But even still, I think it's a better movie than Dawn of the Dead.

My votes equaled out to 2 vs. 2, so... excited to see what happens.

Better franchise: Romero
Better gore: Romero
Better sequel: Evil Dead
Better remake: Evil Dead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I'm okay with these results. Good job every body !