Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Both JWs are boring and bad but JW2 sucks real bad.

That said, I still voted Jurassic Park because I’ve only seen the original Psycho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
I voted Jaws after staring at it for 10 minutes.

I personally can sit through any shark movie (though not pretend shark movies like 47 Meters Down) so even though TCM has a good sequel and Jaws doesn’t, that didn’t effect my vote.

What broke the tie for me is that Jaws has the most iconic movie poster maybe ever.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Texas Chainsaw Massacre rules. Jaws rules.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
If it was one great film vs 3 very good films it might be an argument but for the most part that hasn’t been the case.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
In the spirit of actual March Madness, a team with one great player can often drag a mediocre team into the later rounds of the tournament against teams that might be slightly more complete but do not have a stand out player.

Everyone should vote on their own criteria obviously but I am also going with franchises that have one great movie if it’s opponents do not have a standout (imo).

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Can we do a F13 ranking in the same vein as we ranked franchises to get the seeding for this and get a definitive (lol!) forum ranking?

Or even do it bracket style to determine a winner though I would like a fully voted on 1-12 ranking better.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
I voted Alien but I am going to watch Re-Animator tomorrow and give it a fair shake. I haven’t seen it in 15+ years and Alien + Aliens are fresh in my mind from a couple of weeks ago.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

TrixRabbi posted:

For a side project we could do ranked choice voting the way the seeds were decided except for a definitive CineD ranking of the Fridays.

I asked for exactly this 2 pages ago :colbert:

I have finished Re-Animator and Bride of Re-Animator. While I really liked them both (loved the original) I will not be changing my vote from Alien(s).

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
I just watched Child’s Play 2 yesterday and I do not see what others see to make it better than the original.

The bones are there, as I will post in my review for it in the challenge thread, but overall I think the first is better.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

Sarx posted:

I mean, everyone is welcome to their opinion, but I just checked and these are the ten best movies in the bracket... so....

Psycho
Frankenstein
Night of the Living Dead
Alien
The Exorcist
Halloween
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre
Jaws
The Silence of the Lambs
Evil Dead 2

Close.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
I’ve seen a lot of coming around on Halloween 4 lately and I’m glad of it. It was always my favorite behind the original and now H40.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
I like Blade more than any individual Scream but I personally think Blade 2 stinks and will not bother with 3 so Scream wins based on its balance of all quality at worst movies.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

TrixRabbi posted:

Reminder that From Dusk Till Dawn has Tom Savini playing a character named Sex Machine who has a cock gun.

If anyone needs to be reminded of that they should not be voting!

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

TrixRabbi posted:

I would say more matchups with longer voting period to allow more time to watch the movies we haven't yet.

edit: I may try to go through the Wishmaster series if possible. I've never seen any of them and really just seems like it had probably the easiest path forward of any other film. There's about 10 first round knockouts in other areas of the bracket that I think could be in its place based on reputation, but I'll just have to watch to find out.

I just watched the first one the other day and I actually really enjoyed it.

I have a hard time believing it does anything other then become terrible but I’m fine with you finding out for me!

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
The first Wishmaster is better than all of Leprechaun combined. Blade mouthed it best: what the gently caress?

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
How come people don’t like Red Dragon very much? I always dug it, but it doesn’t seem to get much love around here.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
If you’re making me choose TCM vs Halloween, just the first films, I would probably go TCM. If it was just the first 2 films I would easily got TCM.

But Halloween 3,4 and 2018 easily make up the ground after that.

A little bummed Exorcist got bumped but at least it lost to another heavy weight.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
If Alien has taken our Exorcist and Romero I would have pegged it as the champ but now things are pretty up in the air.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
I haven’t seen Hannibal the tv series but I can tell you all of AvED is good and season 2 is flat out great.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Halloween 4 is better than 80-90% of Friday the 13th movies.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
I personally think the first Evil Dead has timeless appeal.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
All 3 films are pretty great as is the series but the first Evil Dead is my favorite and I vehemently disagree that it’s not scary (to people who can be scared by movies still) or that it isn’t capable of sucking in new viewers.

Every time I watch it I’m blown way by how good it is with such a tiny budget.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Man people really get in their feelings for some crummy but fun movies.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

Debbie Does Dagon posted:

Really looking forward to Living Dead vs Evil Dead. Let's make it happen! Don't let these flabby, ho-hum slasher franchises get it the way of the dream finale.

I hate knowing that republicans get to experience this joy by being the #silentmajority and doing so much #winning.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

Debbie Does Dagon posted:

I'm not intelligent enough to understand this comment

It’s the other way around, you’re too intelligent to understand it. I was channeling Trump’s Twitter style.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
I binged them all for my first October challenge (2017?) and the only one I actively dislike is part 3.

Look no further than the opening scene of Scream for proof that Jason is bigger than the franchise and that most people know the hell out of Jason but have probably never seen a single one of the films.

I’m guilty of it myself as I own more Friday merch than any other movie/franchise and find the movies mostly just ok. The video game is awesome (the recent one, not the NES game).

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
I actually think the first movie gets a bad rap. I understand the problems people have with it, but it has a couple decent jump scares (one all-timer) and I really enjoy the atmosphere and sound design.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

Jedit posted:

I watched the first movie and the only things I remember about it are the jump scare at the end and Kevin Bacon's death scene. I've seen Freddy vs Jason and I don't remember anything about it at all. Between those two poles, I don't even remember what I've actually seen and what I just saw a kill clip from on YouTube.

Those were exactly the jump scares I was talking about, so at least we have that going for us.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Man, you really dislike Evil Dead.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
I’m going to need to revisit most of the Dead sequels although I’m leaning that way already.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Texas Chainsaw Massacre deserved to make it farther than the Scream 16 but it got boned by a tough rear end draw and being mostly dreck after the first 2 movies.

Also the Zombieverse not making it out of the first round is bonkers.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
The entire show is really good but Season 2 is special.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

Shrecknet posted:

Done!

Also if preliminary voting holds this will be the closest vote since BloodRayne almost took out the pedos movie

How close are the rest of the questions?

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

TrixRabbi posted:

Ok, I went Best Franchise and Best Remake for Romero but Best Gore and Best Sequel for Evil Dead. Edge goes to Romero, but I had to show some love for Evil Dead.

I believe this is exactly how I voted as well.

I won’t lie though, I haven’t seen the original Dawn or Day in a long time so I might be selling the gore part short.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

Martin owns so hard and I badly regret selling my DVD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
I’m here for however it shakes out to have something to read/post about and a reason to watch great movies.