Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

SIGSEGV posted:

Since there will be very few locusts, bring a single grasshopper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sorites
Sep 10, 2012

I, too, would like to see you humiliate Story Mode by doing it with the Battletech version of one hand tied behind your back.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Sorites posted:

I, too, would like to see you humiliate Story Mode by doing it with the Battletech version of one hand tied behind your back.

It's called a batchall :eng101:

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
all bugs all the time

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!

Sorites posted:

Just don't do it in a Nova, or you're liable to get your free arm shot off.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Doing the campaign, but as Clanners with clan mechs, no ability to get new Clan Mechs or gear, only whatever IS junk you salvage, and you bid away one of: half the armament of your Mech, the ability to physically attack, shooting anything in the rear arc, the ability to use cover, or any indirect fire, before each mission. Or, all of the above.

Let's goooooo!

e: Actually I think it would be really interesting to start a campaign with a selection of clan Mediums and their gear and see how far you can get without needing to replace anything at all, jokes about bidding aside.

Gwaihir fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Mar 9, 2021

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Gwaihir posted:

Doing the campaign, but as Clanners with clan mechs, no ability to get new Clan Mechs or gear,

I always wondered how an arpg that works in reverse would go actually, but probably it'd just encourage people into taking the safest, lamest option at all times to preserve your dwindling ammo instead of any cool blazes of glory trying to reach the objective

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

I always wondered how an arpg that works in reverse would go actually, but probably it'd just encourage people into taking the safest, lamest option at all times to preserve your dwindling ammo instead of any cool blazes of glory trying to reach the objective

Ah, the Clan Wolf strategy on Tukayyid.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

RBA Starblade posted:

I think ammo resupply should be a given, at the very least, and armor repairs, just because being anal-retentive down to that level is very very anti-fun, even in what is supposed to be a challenging contrived scenario.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Gwaihir posted:

e: Actually I think it would be really interesting to start a campaign with a selection of clan Mediums and their gear and see how far you can get without needing to replace anything at all, jokes about bidding aside.

I could do that, but I don't think it would be especially hard. Not the way clan Mediums are tuned.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Yeah, a really good medium squad is just so deadly in smartly played hands that the AI really needs overwhelming odds to have any chance of success. Maybe it would work if you were only allowed to run them stock with no armor increases along with entirely removing the ramshackle -armor debuffs from the game.

Bobfly
Apr 22, 2007
EGADS!
I'd like to see you do a lights-only run. I know it wouldn't be tremendously hard, I just think the concept is cool!

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Firestarter only is really viable and good. In general, lights 'Mech only runs are most vulnerable in the early- to mid-game or completely at random (if the enemy spawns a lot of LRM boats it causes them trouble). Otherwise it's only a weak composition on maps where the enemy's spawns allow them to concentrate their forces in one place.

Anything that makes the OpForce spread out they'll sweep.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

Firestarter only is really viable and good. In general, lights 'Mech only runs are most vulnerable in the early- to mid-game or completely at random (if the enemy spawns a lot of LRM boats it causes them trouble). Otherwise it's only a weak composition on maps where the enemy's spawns allow them to concentrate their forces in one place.

Anything that makes the OpForce spread out they'll sweep.

Yep, with that Hanger of Stompiness mod I've been playing a lot more light mechs since they are so fun. Especially since some of the clan mechs have a module that gives you a +50% bonus to movement; with Ace Pilot you can run behind a lance, core out one of the mechs, and then the next turn core a second one and run halfway across the map again. So much fun, the Jenner IIC-A especially is bonkers.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Really I just want to see the campaign humiliated, and also a grasshopper every now and then, because I think it looks kinda cool and is also the proper term for a solo locust.

I know it's not really possible to do to this game the sort of things people do to SM64, like a blindfolded speedrun, but "just" clowning on it is fun and good.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
The entire reason behind my custom gear mod is to make the Marauder non-essential for the mid/lategame. If you can give almost any 'Mech a solid called shot bonus that opens a lot of doors, even if the mod itself is expensive (and especially if you have to sacrifice the typical head slot item for it).

If I can figure out JSON merges I'll probably sneak a few of the "lesser" mods into some of the older, less capable 'Mech chassis as stock equipment. The Dragon becomes a touch more threatening when it's acting in the same initiative phase as medium 'Mechs by default, and it makes salvaging one a little more exciting. Likewise the Awesome suddenly stops being a joke when it's gets a 20% boost to energy weapon damage.

Imagine a Grasshopper with +90 meter support weapon range or a 20% energy weapon damage boost.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

If you're looking at adding any mods, grab the BtRandomMechUpgrader mod (Nexus link) that Klyith linked in the main BT thread. It'll make AI mechs get occasional upgrades to weapons/items, sometimes even swapping out regular ACs for UACs/LBXs, or snubPPCs instead of regular, etc.

You can add your custom gear in there as well if you want the AI to be able to occasionally spawn with it.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

PoptartsNinja posted:

The entire reason behind my custom gear mod is to make the Marauder non-essential for the mid/lategame. If you can give almost any 'Mech a solid called shot bonus that opens a lot of doors, even if the mod itself is expensive (and especially if you have to sacrifice the typical head slot item for it).

If I can figure out JSON merges I'll probably sneak a few of the "lesser" mods into some of the older, less capable 'Mech chassis as stock equipment. The Dragon becomes a touch more threatening when it's acting in the same initiative phase as medium 'Mechs by default, and it makes salvaging one a little more exciting. Likewise the Awesome suddenly stops being a joke when it's gets a 20% boost to energy weapon damage.

Imagine a Grasshopper with +90 meter support weapon range or a 20% energy weapon damage boost.

If you want some help with this I can probably smash something together for you without too much issue, I've spent so much time re-jiggering things in the big mods that this shouldn't be a big ordeal.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

binge crotching posted:

You can add your custom gear in there as well if you want the AI to be able to occasionally spawn with it.
Oh, that's a nice fun little difficulty bump. I'll check that out.

Gwaihir posted:

If you want some help with this I can probably smash something together for you without too much issue, I've spent so much time re-jiggering things in the big mods that this shouldn't be a big ordeal.
I certainly wouldn't turn down help. I'm not doing anything too complex, I'm just not especially proficient at modding.

Some fun things I've found in the game's files:
Breaching Shot used to be named Precision Strike.
The player's Leopard-class DropShip is named the Hysteria. I'm sorely tempted to rename it the "Crusher" in honor of all the friendlies Sumire's landed on.
Prototype TSM exists in the game files from Urban Warfare, but doesn't look like it was added to any of the shops or flashpoint rewards. It's a massive 50% speed boost but it can explode if it eats a critical hit.

The special equipment they gave the story mode's final boss after the Marauder was introduced is significantly better than its tooltips say it is.

Edit: Looks like TSM was supposed to be on the Raven 3X, which exists in the game files but is blacklisted. Looks like the TSM never got added to the MechDef, they probably bumped into the issue I did. Equipment can't be flagged as unique so you can fill a 'Mech with TSMs even though only one of them worked due to stacking limitations, which is why all the Heavy Metal gear is chassis-locked. And now you know why all of the equipment I'm making are in the form of cockpit mods! :pseudo:

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Mar 10, 2021

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!
Story Mode, preferably with mods to unlock the flashpoints prior to the end of of the main campaign, so that said flashpoints don't get absolutely steamrolled by your End Game Gear.

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!

PoptartsNinja posted:

Equipment can't be flagged as unique

That... actually explains a lot about their decision to chassis lock things with no alternate rare versions. Code doesn't support something? Eh, why fix it, just nerf things!

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
One of the (many) functions of the CustomComponents mod (Used in all the big packs, iirc) is to allow gear to be tagged with different attributes, including categories which say "Only one of these is allowed per mech."

Looks like this:
code:
{ "Name": "C3Slave", "displayName": "C3 Slave", "MaxEquiped": "1", "AutoReplace": "true" },
{ "Name": "C3Master", "displayName": "C3 Master", "MaxEquiped": "2", "AutoReplace": "true" },
{ "Name": "C3i", "displayName": "C3 Improved", "MaxEquiped": "1", "AutoReplace": "true" },
{ "Name": "TSM", "displayName": "Triple Strength Myomer", "MaxEquiped": "1", "AutoReplace": "true", "AddMaximumReached": "Mech already has {1} of {0} installed" },
{ "Name": "EndoTSM", "displayName": "Triple Strength Myomer", "MaxEquiped": "1", "AutoReplace": "false", "AddMaximumReached": "Mech already has {1} of {0} installed" },
{ "Name": "MASC", "displayName": "MASC", "MaxEquiped": "1", "AutoReplace": "true" },
Then the file that represents the actual MASC item you'd put on your mech has this on the top:

pre:
"Custom": {
		"Category": {
			"CategoryID": "MASC"
		},
		"ComponentExplosion": {
			"StabilityDamage": 100
		},
		"BonusDescriptions": {
			"Bonuses": [
				"RunSpeed: +0.4",
				"HeatGenerated: +15%",
				"MASCWeight: 50%"
			]
		},
		"Weights": {
			"StructureFactor": 1.5
		}
	},
The Clan MASC also has that same category ID, which prevents you from dragging both of them on to your mech in the bay.

Gwaihir fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Mar 10, 2021

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

JackSplater posted:

That... actually explains a lot about their decision to chassis lock things with no alternate rare versions. Code doesn't support something? Eh, why fix it, just nerf things!

HBS aren't lazy devs, but this was their first Unity game. I would be more inclined to believe this was a "We have exhausted our knowledge base, do we have time to figure out how to fix this? Ok, leave it as-is but blacklist it, we'll come back as soon as time allows!" situation.

The buffs themselves absolutely don't stack, if you could find a way to get two power systems into a Warhammer it would still only get a 20% damage buff.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
I kinda think humbling the story mode would be fun? But I think restricting Dekkar to a single mech would get kinda boring though, maybe let him use Lights generally speaking but have to swap to the Spider in any story missions?

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

I agree, and pushing a gimmick too far will just make it annoying for you.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Every time you get a new mech you must operate a FIFO policy for your squad composition.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
Ooo, yeah I like that, a carousel of mechs so you can see all the different kinds and loadouts.
Something like swapping out the lance composition such that a mech can't go on two missions in a row.
Alternatively, when swapping out a mech, that mech must be refitted with a different kind of weapon loadout, avoiding the situation of falling into 'best builds' traps and having to use some of the less optimal weapons. Probably less workable than the other, but it'd be super cool to see mechs rockin' ac/2's and PPC loadouts.

\/\/\/ edit: yeah, probably is, I just want to see some not necessarily optimal builds used (srms are soooo boring)
edit2: scrap all I said, BAN SRMs

El Spamo fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Mar 11, 2021

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

That sounds like a lot of busywork, and generally clowning on a game relies on using combos of equipment, abilities and tactics that allow the clowning, pretty hard to clown on the game in a flamer urbie.

Rosoboronexport
Jun 14, 2006

Get in the bath, baby!
Ramrod XTreme

PoptartsNinja posted:

HBS aren't lazy devs, but this was their first Unity game.

Shadowruns were also un Unity. IIRC for Shadowrun Returns they spent quite a lot of devtime to make modtools for custom campaings and not much came out of it so they figured that mod support was not essential for Battletech either.

Plenty of armchair coders have reported why it runs how it runs but no root cause has been agreed on.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
I've finished most of the gear:

Cockpit Mods (all cockpit mods have a rare version that also resists 1 pilot injury):
Called Shot
+20% energy weapon damage
+20% ballistic weapon damage
+20% missile weapon damage
Critical Boost (I have no idea how good this is but it's a pre-existing buff type so why not? I could see it synergizing with Gauss Rifles)
-1 initiative (self)
+2 evasion pips
ignores 3 evasion pips
+ 90 meter support weapon range
+50% stability damage (was going to make this missile only, but meh? Ballistics can benefit from it too) (the Archer's Misselry Suite is lying, btw, it doesn't grant a 75% increase to stability damage, it's only a 50% increase)
+ missile clustering (should work with all missile types, not just LRMs)
10% damage resistance (Lance)

Gyro Alternatives:
TSM (+50% movement speed, +50 melee damage)
Reactive Armor (20% missile damage resistance)
Reflective Armor (20% energy damage resistance)
Resistant Armor (20% ballistic damage resistance)

Jump Jets:
Light Vectored Jets (+3% weapon damage, -7 DFA Self Damage)
Heavy Vectored Jets (+3% weapon damage, +5% jump distance)
Assault Vectored Jets (+5% jump distance, -20 DFA Self Damage)

My favorite new item descriptions:
"The QuikScell JointStrike(tm) System uses JointStrike(tm) Algorythms(tm) to actively target enemy joints, increasing overall Stability Damage(tm). JointStrike(tm), by QuikScell! QuikScell's patented HardCase(tm) technology helps protect the JointStrike(tm) system from damage, and comes with a two year extended limited factory warranty (shipping restrictions apply, warranty not valid in the Periphery)"

"Designed primarily for use by lance commanders operating far from support, the Field Command Module provides in-mission mapping capabilities and data sharing that allows a field team to maintain maximum situational awareness. Someone spray-painted 'Wolverines!' on the case, but that doesn't seem to do anything."

Now I just need to figure out how to get them to show up in shops.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
To add stuff to shops in Vanilla, I think it's just a matter of adding them to shop definitions here: BATTLETECH\BattleTech_Data\StreamingAssets\data\shops

The names are pretty straightforward- They're typically named according to the item types, and then each file should have a tag at the top that shows what kind of planet it's allowed to show up on

So like, shopfed_Ammo_special.json:
pre:
{
   "ID" : "shopdef_Ammo_special",
    "RequirementTags": {
        "items": [
            "planet_industry_manufacturing",
            "planet_industry_rich",
            "planet_industry_research"
        ]
	},
   "ExclusionTags" : {
      "items" : [],
      "tagSetSourceFile" : ""
   },
   "Inventory" : [],
   "Specials" : [
		{
			"ID" : "Ammo_AmmunitionBox_Generic_GAUSS",
			"Type" : "AmmunitionBox",
			"DiscountModifier" : 1.0,
			"Count" : 2,
			"Weight" : 1
		}
   ]
}
This will only show up on a planet that has manufacturing, rich, and research tags. The weight is a number 1-10 that controls probability, and the count is how many will be available if they show up. If you want them to be unlimited, then set it to zero.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
I'd like it to be a self-contained mod, if possible. So rather than adding them to the game files, I need to set up the separate shop files then figure out how to get the game to load them.

I had all this working six months ago, and I can't for the life of me remember how I did most of it.

Edit: Oh, right, shopdefs aren't used anymore. It's all item collections now. That's why this felt so different.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Mar 12, 2021

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I think the easiest might just be the existing DynamicShops mod:
https://github.com/BattletechModders/DynamicShops

Then you can add your components to a list and pick from there.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Mod is working. Now I just have to add the other ones I'm considering and make sure everything still loads.

Every planet type has a chance to spawn a couple of pieces of the wargear (depending on what sort of equipment it was already generating), and research planets can spawn any of them, save for the SLDF Neurohelmet (and its upgrade) which only spawn on SLDF/Advanced SLDF planets.

Edit: Everything's up and working. Tested, got a stupidly lucky start (why yes, I would like the wargear that ignores 3 evasion pips in the early light 'Mech stages of the game, thank you!), everything seems to be working together without conflicts. Waiting for voting to finish up, it's a pretty close race between the campaign and Johnny Five Aces so on the off chance Johnny wins feel free to suggest some Mechwarrior names!

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Mar 12, 2021

Natty Ninefingers
Feb 17, 2011
Slab Hardmeat.

Shinarato
Apr 22, 2013
I'm going to vote for Johnny and his friends from Space Mutiny

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

Edit: Everything's up and working. Tested, got a stupidly lucky start (why yes, I would like the wargear that ignores 3 evasion pips in the early light 'Mech stages of the game, thank you!), everything seems to be working together without conflicts. Waiting for voting to finish up, it's a pretty close race between the campaign and Johnny Five Aces so on the off chance Johnny wins feel free to suggest some Mechwarrior names!

Sally four queens!

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Dwayne Hicks

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
When you make the OP, can you link all the mods youre using? This sounds more fun than my current run of BEXCE

Also: Johnny Five Aces

Dyz fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Mar 12, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Hugo Brilliantino