Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
El Rey de Caballero

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Dyz posted:

When you make the OP, can you link all the mods youre using? This sounds more fun than my current run of BEXCE

Sure. I was planning on making my equipment mod available in some way (probably not on Nexus but who knows), but some of the mods I'm using are ones I've tweaked a bit to make them work. My equipment mod also adds a couple of emblems, one of which I snuck into one of the test pictures.

I can probably do a separate zip file with all the pieces together. I just want to get the permission of the goon mod creators first (the nexus ones I won't bother, I can tell you what tweaks I made to their stuff easily enough, they were mostly minor adjustments like removing anachronisms).

Here's a short list of what I'm running, which might not be final:
- My equipment mod (note to self: I still need to reduce PPC heat from 35 to 30, will add that in after work)

- Custom equipment mod (sometimes allows enemies to spawn with random enhanced (+/++/+++) equipment and equipment mods (Including mine. Canon stuff has a higher weight but it's entirely possible a Banshee could spawn with TSM).

- Klyith's SLDF Incoming (adds some new lance types to the game and adds the pre-existing SLDF 'Mechs as rare enemy spawns, also unlocks the Raven and ECM Cataphract right away. I added a slight tweak that also unlocks both Hatchetmen models)

- Amechwarrior's QuickCam (speeds up the in-game camera in subtle ways, most of which were adopted by the game but I find QuickCam is still a little smoother)

- Portions of the Hangar of Stompyness:
- - Champion (some variants flagged as SLDF so they'll only appear in Klyith's elite lances)
- - Corsair (Periphery only)
- - Dervish (low-tech variant only, insert joke about adding another 55-ton 5/8 medium)
- - Hatamoto-Chi (Draconis Combine, low-tech variants only)
- - Urbanmech K9
- - Marauder II (flagged as SLDF to keep them rare, the Marauder II is murderous :gonk: )
- - Daboku (early Mauler, Draconis Combine only)
- - Nightstar (flagged as SLDF)
- - Roughneck
- - Wolfhound WLF-1 and WLF-1A (Lyran Commonwealth / Federated Suns only)

Mostly for the Roughneck because I love that thing.

Other things I'm considering:
- I'm torn on whether or not to add the SLDF Royals, but I'm leaning towards 'no' to keep load times speedy.

- If we wind up doing the campaign I'm likely going to add the mod that unlocks Flashpoints.

- I'm also torn on adding the mod that lets pirates spawn in one of five really bright and garish color schemes because I think it's funny.

If you'd picked the Locust Swarm the spice was going to be a four-pack of SLDF Royal Locusts and a Timberwolf playing hangar queen and generating huge monthly maintenance bills.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Mar 12, 2021

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!

PoptartsNinja posted:

- I'm also torn on adding the mod that lets pirates spawn in one of five really bright and garish color schemes because I think it's funny.

Yes, please.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Yeah garish pirates please

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

PoptartsNinja posted:

My god, why would you not?

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
I vote for Locusts, but I'm wondering if it's kind of futile at this point.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!
If you're a pirate and you're not trying to stand out, you're doing something wrong

Tibbeh
Apr 5, 2010
My vote is for Johnny Five Aces

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Rorahusky posted:

If you're a pirate and you're not trying to stand out, you're doing something wrong

Seriousposting: This is true. Historically, pirates played up their reputation because if your victims feared you enough, they didn't fight back, and your job was easier and less risky. Hand in hand with that is the need to be recognizable as the person who earned (or faked) that reputation, because if they think you're just some rear end in a top hat they won't fear you enough to surrender. Which means bright colors and distinctive costume elements, like Blackbeard putting lit fuses in his hair before battles.

If your dinky little settlement gets attacked by a lance of shoddy mechs, you'll be tempted to send out your own pissant garrison to fight them off. But if you get attacked by the terrifying electric-blue tiger-striped custom Centurion that you know belongs to the Dread Pirate Rashid and his savage Raiders, you know better than to fight because you've heard what he did to the last three worlds he attacked when they fought back.

Pirates should stand out.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Idle worries that one of my files and one of someone else's files will cross one another unexpectedly, mostly.

PPC fix is in, Marauder nerf is in (multiplier reduced from 2.4 to 2.0), so those were the last critical things I wanted to add.

Vote is closing now so I can start filming.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Missed this the first go around. Just caught up. Putting the popcorn on for the main event.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Ppcs look nasty now, Panthers are going to be a legit threat early game.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
It's just a heat buff (30 heat vs. the base game's 35), bringing the PPC in line with tabletop stats (10 damage tabletop = 50 damage in game, 10 heat tabletop = 30 heat in game), but it definitely makes the PPC more usable and, coincidentally, makes enemy PPC boats more dangerous. Especially in hot and lunar environments.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

"Energized lightning." As opposed to regular lightning.

Come on guys, it was right there.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
"Charged particle beam superficially resembling lightning" would be more accurate anyway. The lightning is an after-effect, it's basically just static discharge.

One of my favorite pieces of in-universe fluff is that PPCs are virtually undetectable in space unless they're hitting you or you're the one firing them. Otherwise they're an almost imperceptible magnetic fluctuation (until that slug of atoms moving at near lightspeed hits something solid). That's not the best part, though, this is: PPCs are functionally identicaly JumpShip "stationkeeping" thrusters, just with a much shorter and faster output. That means Naval PPCs are basically just re-weaponized ion engines, so the order of development was probably: JumpShip Engines -> Naval PPCs -> 'Mech PPCs -> (3060s: support PPCs, an infantry weapon).

Shrink it down to a pistol size and you've got a Star Wars blaster. :haw:

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

PoptartsNinja posted:

That's not the best part, though, this is: PPCs are functionally identicaly JumpShip "stationkeeping" thrusters, just with a much shorter and faster output. That means Naval PPCs are basically just re-weaponized ion engines, so the order of development was probably: JumpShip Engines -> Naval PPCs -> 'Mech PPCs -> (3060s: support PPCs, an infantry weapon).

Shrink it down to a pistol size and you've got a Star Wars blaster. :haw:

So what I'm hearing is that the Kzinti Lesson is alive and well in the BattleTech Universe.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Rule of thumb in BattleTech is: if it's up in space it's supremely dangerous, especially (but not exclusively) if it got there under its own power.

Olympus-class JumpShip recharge stations can microwave entire ship crews if they're stupid enough to sit still and let it happen, it's one of the big reasons why so many of them got destroyed during the Succession Wars.

LeschNyhan
Sep 2, 2006

Any chance you can make this mod available at some point? It looks like the kind of lightweight expansion that doesn't require relearning the whole game and bogging down load times that I'd be all about. Also, it's PTN so you know it's quality (unlike QuikScell(tm)).

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

LeschNyhan posted:

Any chance you can make this mod available at some point?

I'm planning on releasing it in the first post of the new thread, both the standalone equipment mod and the full set I'm using.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

LeschNyhan posted:

Any chance you can make this mod available at some point? It looks like the kind of lightweight expansion that doesn't require relearning the whole game and bogging down load times that I'd be all about. Also, it's PTN so you know it's quality (unlike QuikScell(tm)).

To be fair, you know QuikScell is quality. You just don't know WHICH quality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
New Thread is up so I'm going to officially close this one.