Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

SSNeoman posted:

So is the idea that you're supposed to be constantly upgrading the Argo and hotswapping mechs for missions? Because those repair and upgrade times seem real harsh.

You don't necessarily need to hotswap Mechs per mission, but since a lot of them do come with less than ideal default loadouts, you want to optimize their ability to survive and kill poo poo ASAP.

One of the key Argo upgrades PTN is probably leading up to is to the Mech Bay, which will make Mech upgrades complete in less time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

I like unlocking it early-ish because it's another 45 tonner for the game to throw at you (two now, with the last update). I probably won't bother unlocking the Raven, though, it's pretty bad.

In my career run when Urban Warfare first came out, I actually completed the Raven flashpoint before the Hatchetman one, and that screwed me over because I picked the non-assault option in the first mission, and the reinforcement lance was two Trebs and a Raven.

Mind you, this was when ECM hadn't been nerfed yet and you had to charge within knifefighting range to get the Mechs to show up on radar. I was badly out of position when the reinforcement lance appeared, and I was down to two Mechs with weapons by the time I was able to wreck the ECM. :negative:

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Seraphic Neoman posted:

Can someone throw down some quick details about mechs like the Awesome and the Griffin and the Shadowhawk? What makes them good/bad?

Quick and dirty:
> Awesome: -8Q is workable only with Snubbies, because regular PPCs are underpowered for the heat they generate, plus it only has Energy hardpoints and a limited number of those. The -8T has missile hardpoints so you have more flexibility with loadouts.

> Griffin: The -1S and -1N are both pretty decent jumpy brawlers since they have energy, missile and support hardpoints. I personally prefer the -1S for the additional missile slot and the placement of the hardpoints. If you can get the -2N, the 4 missile hardpoints make it a close-range nightmare.

> Shadow Hawk: Also a jumpy brawler, with a melee bonus. Prefer the -2H over the -2D because of the slightly better placement of the missile hardpoints, but both are workable. Just make sure you up the -2D's armor though, as it's stock configuration is underarmored.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

seaborgium posted:

See, I always preferred the -2D in this as a missile hardpoint in the head is basically useless, so you can really only fit 2 of something besides that in the -2H. Uparmoring the 2D is trivially easy in this game, so I always loved getting one. Pain in the rear end to capture though because the stock is so underarmored.

Both variants have 3 missile hardpoints (1 in the head) as per Gamepedia, but the -2D has one hardpoint in the center torso. As a guy that has to have gyros installed in every Mech, that is an issue for me because now I can only fit an SRM-4 in there instead of a 6.

Granted, the -2D has more energy hardpoints, but I'd rather max out my SRMs than fit more MLs on the Shadow Hawk.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

gently caress y'all for making me crave pizza when I can't get it delivered in my locked down area.

On-topic: Seeing the economics behind the Leopard makes me appreciate more the hardscrabble situation the crew was in pre-Argo during the campaign.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

Update is coming, it's just taking a while to transcribe. My hands aren't what they used to be. :saddowns:

Time to get some Type V Myomer Replacements then!

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Yeah, the game makes it clear in several flashpoints how much of a military liability the Argo can be. Unarmed, not that maneuverable, unable to land, and it's only real protection is the Leopard.

The company can get away with tooling around in it mainly because they're such a small fish in the ocean of the Inner Sphere.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

goatface posted:

What sort of terraforming was it meant to support? Are we talking major atmospherics, ecosystem work, temperature management, habitat construction?

From the House Arano sourcebook:

quote:

The Argo class of DropShips was an experiment by Boeing Interstellar, conceived to serve as a self-sufficient mobile base to support a flotilla of exploration ships. The idea was for Argo class vessels to follow behind the first wave of explorers into a new system and support surveyor, terraformer and colonizer teams there in the sense of a "shore leave" base and logistical hub. It featured state-of-the-art habitation and an internal cargo conveyor system that could ferry equipment and vehicles between the cargo bays and several docked vessels. Being unable to land, the Argo could not deploy ground vehicles (or 'Mechs) itself.

Basically, that massive cargo space the Argo had was meant to carry whatever support equipment or supplies the colonizer teams needed.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Yeah in this portion of the Periphery, 'Local Government' is pretty much 'Pirate with a veneer of legitimacy'.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Give me a mission involving nothing but quads, tripods and LAMs vs the Clans.

The Clanners would automatically start off the fight with 2 pilot injuries due to aneurysms induced by their opponents.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Hope to see you wreck story mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

4) Clown on story mode instead
The catch: Dekker gets a Spider and I have to keep him alive to the end. If I successfully accomplish this I have to DFA the final boss with Dekker's Spider.

This is giving me Snake Pit Spider vs Kraken vibes and I'm all for it. :allears: