Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

This game doesn't seem to have gotten any safer after 108 years :thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NiftyBottle
Jan 1, 2009

radical
Ow, that was a nasty tackle I took the instant (and only time) I touched the ball. At least I seem to be doing okay-ish on blocking?

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010
That was one of the most entertaining games of NCAA 14 I've ever seen.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

I guess the good news is that the second string is exactly as good as the first string

ThePlanetBuster
Oct 29, 2012
I genuinely love that the game's run animations were not equipped to account for the gentle trot of the players. There is something especially alien about how people are hustling like toddlers playing soccer with a full-on sprint animation.

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

NiftyBottle posted:

Ow, that was a nasty tackle I took the instant (and only time) I touched the ball. At least I seem to be doing okay-ish on blocking?

Yeah. that looked pretty hard. There were some pretty rough shots throughout, including that one clothesline, which looked pretty nasty.

sparkmaster posted:

That was one of the most entertaining games of NCAA 14 I've ever seen.

:syoon: Thanks! I'm hoping I can keep this going for a while, but if nobody wants to see it, then I won't. Good to know that I might be on to something.

<sellout tag>make sure you like and subscribe! become a patreon! Just flat out give me money!</sellout tag>

ilmucche posted:

I guess the good news is that the second string is exactly as good as the first string

Yep! Exactly why I didn't redshirt anyone, and also because of something I'll get into in a later video.

ThePlanetBuster posted:

I genuinely love that the game's run animations were not equipped to account for the gentle trot of the players. There is something especially alien about how people are hustling like toddlers playing soccer with a full-on sprint animation.

:haw: Certainly seems like the game wasn't ready for that, yeah. It usually leads to some really brutal looking hits, though. That speed mechanic is something else I'll talk about in a later video, 'cause there's some weirdness to it.

grill youre saelf
Jan 22, 2006

This has given me a bit of football to watch now! It's too bad my inserted player is a WR running deep routes with a QB that can't throw.

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

grill youre saelf posted:

This has given me a bit of football to watch now! It's too bad my inserted player is a WR running deep routes with a QB that can't throw.

I definitely targeted him a few times in all that failure, but....yeah....it's a little rough. Maybe next game I'll get a playbook with some WR screen passes that I can hit.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
really enjoying this clownball

my kicking game is uh, not real good. BUT I KICKED A FIELD GOAL and a PAT. that is pretty good compared to competition

grill youre saelf
Jan 22, 2006

Professor Duck posted:

I definitely targeted him a few times in all that failure, but....yeah....it's a little rough. Maybe next game I'll get a playbook with some WR screen passes that I can hit.

I look forward to juxtomptons contributions!

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

really enjoying this clownball

my kicking game is uh, not real good. BUT I KICKED A FIELD GOAL and a PAT. that is pretty good compared to competition

40 kick accuracy makes every kick a complete crap shoot. As you've already seen, sometimes the ball moves left or right more than it moves forward :v:

Of course, I can have a bit more control over that with slider adjustments, but I like where they're at. I modified the kick power and kick accuracy sliders a touch from the source I got them from.

Man, I'm realizing now that I have a lot of supplemental stuff to cover in these non-game videos!

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

I love that the idea of a 25 yard field goal is a terrifying proposition for these guys, but it's played completely straight. Even PAT I think are better going for 2, but by god we're kicking that wiffle ball

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

ilmucche posted:

I love that the idea of a 25 yard field goal is a terrifying proposition for these guys, but it's played completely straight. Even PAT I think are better going for 2, but by god we're kicking that wiffle ball

have you seen us go for 2

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

have you seen us go for 2

A good point

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

Seems like the smart thing to do is go full 1910's era run the ball every down no forward pass hard nosed old school clouds of dust football.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

loving love Fiona Apple posted:

Seems like the smart thing to do is go full 1910's era run the ball every down no forward pass hard nosed old school clouds of dust football.

nah we hosed crushed it on slants and screens because nobody can tackle or run in coverage on a slant

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

nah we hosed crushed it on slants and screens because nobody can tackle or run in coverage on a slant

Of course, that's when the QB was even REMOTELY accurate...

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Isolation is the key, so outside runs! 1v1 is a big gain every time.
triple option

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010

Professor Duck posted:

Of course, that's when the QB was even REMOTELY accurate...

When the QB isn't trying to peg the mascot on the athletic track.

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

sparkmaster posted:

When the QB isn't trying to peg the mascot on the athletic track.

To be fair, the falcon was WIDE open

Alpha3KV
Mar 30, 2011

Quex Chest
I liked how none of the other games happening on the day of that one had either team reach a double-digit score. This is reminding me of those articles and videos Jon Bois made for SBNation where he simulated NBA 2K seasons after filling up entire draft classes with the worst possible players. The result was unforgettable classics like a finals game that took 12 overtimes to end with a 3-0 score.
First: https://www.sbnation.com/nba/2014/6/3/5772796/nba-y2k-series-finale-the-death-of-basketball
Second: https://www.sbnation.com/2019/9/26/20864720/fumble-dimension-episode-1-directors-commentary

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

Alpha3KV posted:

I liked how none of the other games happening on the day of that one had either team reach a double-digit score. This is reminding me of those articles and videos Jon Bois made for SBNation where he simulated NBA 2K seasons after filling up entire draft classes with the worst possible players. The result was unforgettable classics like a finals game that took 12 overtimes to end with a 3-0 score.
First: https://www.sbnation.com/nba/2014/6/3/5772796/nba-y2k-series-finale-the-death-of-basketball
Second: https://www.sbnation.com/2019/9/26/20864720/fumble-dimension-episode-1-directors-commentary

Yep! I love the Fumble Dimension series!

I was worried they'd be doing something like what I was doing now (since you can spot a copy of NCAA Football on the desk during their segments--don't know what year, though).

This is something I did for my own amusement for a few years to try and make things more "interesting". Low scoring affairs will be somewhat commonplace (with one exception which you'll probably see in week 2). The first time I did this I was routinely seeing scorelines of 3-0, 6-3, and amazingly enough, 2-0. It might have had something to do with my slider settings, because I haven't seen ridiculousness like that since.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
you guys talking poo poo

HereticMIND
Nov 4, 2012

Well, it's sure nice to see that my guy has lived up to his name. He's certainly brittle-boned.

EDIT: Holy poo poo, I got player of the game? Niiiiiiice.

HereticMIND fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Mar 31, 2020

ThePlanetBuster
Oct 29, 2012
What happens when this entire team ends up injured a third of the way through the season? Do you end up in a situation where the absolute bottom of the depth chart has to start even though they collectively fractured their spine during pre-game prayers, or do you automatically forfeit?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

the bottom of the depth chart has the same skill level as the starters though

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

ThePlanetBuster posted:

What happens when this entire team ends up injured a third of the way through the season? Do you end up in a situation where the absolute bottom of the depth chart has to start even though they collectively fractured their spine during pre-game prayers, or do you automatically forfeit?

The short answer is that the game seems to mitigate injury numbers. I've only ever seen 3 players at a time that have an injury that lasts more than 1 game. Most of the time when teams are getting pounded like this, any injuries just become "will return soon", which is usually something like 2-3 plays. Also, for any injury that would sideline a player for a quarter or less, you have the option of putting them back in or subbing out the next guy on the chart.

So, no--this isn't going to be like Mutant League Football with Death Index on 5, where you can force your opponent to forfeit due to to few players.

Also, I didn't redshirt anyone, so we have PLENTY of bodies to send through the grinder. :honked:

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

I put together a short-ish behind-the-scenes video that explains a little more about what I did and how to use the editor I used to make the changes for this dynasty mode. Go see it here, if the nuts and bolts of this interest you. I'll be putting more together as the series goes on to talk about other little quirks or things I've changed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIGt_mrKM-Q

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Professor Duck posted:

I put together a short-ish behind-the-scenes video that explains a little more about what I did and how to use the editor I used to make the changes for this dynasty mode. Go see it here, if the nuts and bolts of this interest you. I'll be putting more together as the series goes on to talk about other little quirks or things I've changed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIGt_mrKM-Q

I almost look forward to these as much as the games, this was an awesome look behind the curtain!

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

oldskool posted:

I almost look forward to these as much as the games, this was an awesome look behind the curtain!

Glad you enjoyed it! I was worried that it might just be boring stuff for most (and it might be), but at least they're comparably short and easy to edit!

I'm still toying with some things, but you guys'll get an interesting treat next game :bubblewoop:

sprotto
Jul 16, 2017

I don’t usually read this forum or post very much in general but I wasted probably thousands of hours of my life on this game and other iterations of it and I really enjoy the spin you’ve put on it so consider this thread bookmarked!!

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

Suntoucher posted:

I don’t usually read this forum or post very much in general but I wasted probably thousands of hours of my life on this game and other iterations of it and I really enjoy the spin you’ve put on it so consider this thread bookmarked!!

Glad to have you stop by! Hopefully the garbage football experience keeps you around for a while! :honked:

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

Game 2 of the season is in the books! It was a tight one!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TzD3OgcPnE

Going forward, I think I'm going to be recording games on Sundays an Thursdays (with new uploads Mondays and Fridays), with some bonus BTS videos here and there where I can find the time. I'll probably try and put another one together this week that talks a little about what I did for this game...or maybe a few quirks about stats. I'll have to think about it.

Either way, come check out the latest! :aliexpress:

Professor Duck fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Apr 3, 2020

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010
Forever upset you denied us the Kibbie Dome :colbert:

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

sparkmaster posted:

Forever upset you denied us the Kibbie Dome :colbert:

Being an independent schools, I can always make that an unofficial rivalry and schedule them every year. Hell, I could make it an OFFICIAL rivalry if people wanted it :v:

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

So here we are with week 3 of the dawn of football! It's our first home game, and...well, it gets interesting.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iba4wCqx5kY

Now that we've settled into things, I want to know if:
  • there's anything I should be doing differently?
  • Any things that you'd like to see?

I will most likely be putting together another behind-the-scenes video to talk about some other edits I have done (like the stadium swap last week) and might be doing later.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

there's anything I should be doing differently?
Maybe around halfway through the season settle on a playbook? Could use the excuse that the mormons have tried a few and decided which one is the holy one that will bring them a title? It would give more consistency and could play to the team's pitifully few strengths.

Also I think you should stop scoring less points than the other team, and start scoring more.

Any things that you'd like to see?

A completed pass from our quarterback :v:

The recruits all look way better than what's there at the moment. I'm assuming there coming in at the 55-60 levels the scouts are picking out?

The social distancing dome was really solid if a bit dark. The acoustics in there were wild.

ilmucche fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Apr 6, 2020

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

my dude in week 2 did uhhh OK i guess, nice kicker tackle and a couple of good PATs but also some less good PATs. i almost made that field goal at the end!

week 3 uhh not ideal

does my guy improve in kicking skill over time or is he just kinda hosed? i saw you outchea recruiting kickers.

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

ilmucche posted:

there's anything I should be doing differently?
Maybe around halfway through the season settle on a playbook? Could use the excuse that the mormons have tried a few and decided which one is the holy one that will bring them a title? It would give more consistency and could play to the team's pitifully few strengths.

I could do that. I thought the random playbook would be a nice touch to avoid what I see with other people that LP this game and that's just rely on money plays. Of course, me trying to run those plays (like 4 verts, for ex) doesn't work too well when you can never tell if your QB is going to put the ball on the receiver, or in the next county!

Maybe you guys can help me put together a playbook? That might be a bit labor-intensive to try and convey in a thread. I'll do some poking around.

ilmucche posted:

Also I think you should stop scoring less points than the other team, and start scoring more.

Workin' on it!

ilmucche posted:

Any things that you'd like to see?

A completed pass from our quarterback :v:

I think I need to make that WR catch adjustment, too, but yeah. Then again, inconsistency and chaos is kinda the name of the game here.

ilmucche posted:

The recruits all look way better than what's there at the moment. I'm assuming there coming in at the 55-60 levels the scouts are picking out?

Really, anyone is going to be better than we have right now. Their overalls won't necessarily reflect it, but a RB with 50 SPD at this point would be very hard to catch if he has room. I'd love it I can get all 25 spots filled up and have a competitive team for next year. I'll have to do some digging around for recruits, as we're not going to get some of those top guys I had targeted earlier.

ilmucche posted:

The social distancing dome was really solid if a bit dark. The acoustics in there were wild.

I've always wanted to use that since it's only used in the skills trainer mode. It seems like a waste, because the stadium itself is really awesome-looking. Of course, it seems I miffed a few people by not being at the Kibbe Dome. Perhaps I'll schedule them again next year and have it there. Hell, we'll just make all of Idaho our rivals since I stole Boise State's field for week 1 :v:

The acoustics thing was probably because I turned off the crowd noise, so all you could hear was the on-field audio. Interestingly enough, you still got crowd sound through that, so some events are tied to on-field volume and some are not. It's strange.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

my dude in week 2 did uhhh OK i guess, nice kicker tackle and a couple of good PATs but also some less good PATs. i almost made that field goal at the end!

week 3 uhh not ideal

does my guy improve in kicking skill over time or is he just kinda hosed? i saw you outchea recruiting kickers.

Certain stats will fluxuate based on momentum and hot/cold, but stats generally don't increase in a permanent way (or at least not that I've seen). We'll just have to hope for the best!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

if our guys get replaced can we claim and rename the new guys?