Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

if our guys get replaced can we claim and rename the new guys?

Absolutely! Once we get to the pre-season of next year, I'll put out the call for player names/appearances again. The only request I would make is to give me new names, but that won't be for a bit.

Additionally (and I didn't do this on purpose), almost everyone that I named is a senior, so they'll be graduating and not languishing on the depth charts. They'd probably still see playing time since I dropped all the new people's injury ratings quite a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HereticMIND
Nov 4, 2012

Maybe edit your videos and then post a highlight reel of the funniest/most interesting plays.

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

HereticMIND posted:

Maybe edit your videos and then post a highlight reel of the funniest/most interesting plays.

In lieu of the full episodes? I feel like you miss a lot with only showing that. I understand that they're long as-is, though

HereticMIND
Nov 4, 2012

Professor Duck posted:

In lieu of the full episodes? I feel like you miss a lot with only showing that. I understand that they're long as-is, though

...point.

NiftyBottle
Jan 1, 2009

radical
Clearly the problem is I'm not getting turned into cream of onion soup enough, throw me the ball.

Real talk, I'm surprised that my character is performing semi-decently - I was expecting with all the things the position should be capable of, I would be flat terrible at everything. But usually I seem to hold the blocks ok, and the two times I was thrown the ball in the right zipcode and without a guy directly in my face I caught it (and immediately ate poo poo).

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

HereticMIND posted:

nothing is actually interesting except the slow inexorable grind of terrible football

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

As far as playbooks go, there's always the default generic Multiple playbook. That gives you a huge mix of plays to work with & most formations.

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

oldskool posted:

As far as playbooks go, there's always the default generic Multiple playbook. That gives you a huge mix of plays to work with & most formations.

It could be something to practice with. I kinda like the random playbook idea right now since it forces me to adapt to new situations. We could discuss either making a playbook or deciding on our "holy book of football" :v:

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

As I mentioned was coming, here's a short video on editing locations in the data tables, as I did for the game against Idaho.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V926GYa4W8M

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

Here's game 4 of the season! We have a chance to make up for the horrendous loss from last week--can we do it? Find out!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7OCyPOj06k

So, some of our athletic staff is out searching for the Holy Book of Football. The question for you is: WHAT IS IT?
Keep in mind what out offense is capable of now and potentially in the future. Also, the option exists for us making our own playbook. I'm open for suggestions there, but ultimately those decisions are coming to you guys. I just (poorly) play the games :v:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

paul johnson GA tech style triple option/veer

sprotto
Jul 16, 2017

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

paul johnson GA tech style triple option/veer

Yeah this. I personally think it’s the best playbook in general since I’m a big triple option fan, but I genuinely think it’d be perfect for our situation too since the triple option gives an advantage to a sub-par team in many ways.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Suntoucher posted:

Yeah this. I personally think it’s the best playbook in general since I’m a big triple option fan, but I genuinely think it’d be perfect for our situation too since the triple option gives an advantage to a sub-par team in many ways.

you can run it out of the gun, rather than under center, which i think could help us jazz it up a bit and take some shots downfield

sprotto
Jul 16, 2017

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

you can run it out of the gun, rather than under center, which i think could help us jazz it up a bit and take some shots downfield

That would be a nice touch, I do find passing with the Army/GT/etc playbooks to be difficult. I think the Mississippi St playbook would fit your description.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

after watching the latest video i've decided to say No to shots downfield

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

after watching the latest video i've decided to say No to shots downfield

Yeah--the ball doesn't tend to stay in the same area code. 3rd and long has me feeling :smithicide:

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

I haven't watched week 4 yet, but if we could get a shot of who the top 25 is week to week. I'm curious if real world smaller conferences like #MACtion or the Fun Belt will wind up more prominent in this hosed up timeline, since every game is essentially a coin flip right now. Do recruits come loaded with power conference bias, or is that somewhat reset as well?

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

mercenarynuker posted:

I haven't watched week 4 yet, but if we could get a shot of who the top 25 is week to week. I'm curious if real world smaller conferences like #MACtion or the Fun Belt will wind up more prominent in this hosed up timeline, since every game is essentially a coin flip right now. Do recruits come loaded with power conference bias, or is that somewhat reset as well?

I can show off the polls next week. It's not nearly as bizarre as I was hoping--seems there is still some SEC bias lingering around.

As far as the the recruiting goes, there's only so much I can do to change that, since all of the bonus points for the things that the recruits are interested in are calculated rather than just static fields. Let me go a little in-depth here.

There are 14 things a recruit could possibly look for in a school:
  • Proximity to Home
  • Championship Contender
  • Pro Potential
  • Coach Stability
  • Playing Time
  • Playing Style
  • Conference Prestige
  • Program Tradition
  • Academic Prestige
  • Campus Lifestyle
  • Athletic Facilities
  • TV Exposure
  • Coach Prestige
  • Stadium Atmosphere

The problem is that some of the rely on calculations of factors that I can't really control because if I were to bork them too badly, I would corrupt the game data. Here's what each pitch relies on:

Playing Style = Targeted specifically towards playing style. All of these are tied to some specific stat line. For example, OLBs are affected by either tackles for loss from that position, or OLB interceptions. ALL of the defensive positions work on those conditions. Offensive positions are slightly more diverse, but know that there's a specific thing for each style.
Playing Time = Target prospects who will be starters quickly
Proximity to Home = Self-explanatory
Stadium Atmosphere = More home wins, longer winning streaks, larger attendance, higher Toughest Places to Play rating
TV Exposure = Win televised games
Coach Prestige = meet/exceed contract win expectations
Conference Prestige = Avg. rank of conferences
Championship Contender = Better recruiting classes (more high-ranked recruits signed)
Pro Potential = # of drafted players (seems I could alter that metric through some manipulation in the data tables)
Coach Stability= Stay in one place, complete contracts
Program Tradition = Win games
Academic Prestige = Target prospects who will be starters quickly (I have no loving idea how this correlates, but whatever)
Campus Lifestyle = Perform well in all areas
Athletic Facilities = "Have more success on the field" (No idea what the metric is here--I guess just win?)

I did manage to even out from Pro Potential to Athletic Facilities (in the list above) and make it so everyone is a D overall in those areas. The rest fluctuate as the season goes on. I could've probably done more to eliminate any of the game's biases that I've experimented with before (make everyone currently on a roster from Alaska to eliminate pipeline bonuses, even out where recruits were from, etc.),but I figured wouldn't screw with it too hard.

Hope that's a detailed-enough explanation :v:

NiftyBottle
Jan 1, 2009

radical
Hey, I finally dropped a pass! Also, got injured during a play I was not in :ghost:

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

NiftyBottle posted:

Hey, I finally dropped a pass! Also, got injured during a play I was not in :ghost:

Football's a strange, weird new game--expect phantom injuries! :v:

Also, here's the next game against Illinois! It's another close one with our new playbook https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0AIT4kcbfc

I'm don't know if I'm totally sold on GT's book. I know our passing game is abysmal, but it doesn't give us a lot of room to expand that, and you can see my later game running starting to get dragged down by the CPU being the CPU and also terrible run blocking. So, I'm gonna ask to pick another playbook, or at least a style of playbook (option run, spread, etc.)

So, over the last 3 games, special teams has done their share with an onside kick recovery {which is something I've never pulled off}, what should've been a kick return for a touchdown, and now a recovered muffed punt. Sadly, NOTHING came from those plays, because of course!

I hope you guys are enjoying this. Let me know if there's anything else you want to see or want me to do.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

what about mississippi state? option out of the gun bay bee

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

what about mississippi state? option out of the gun bay bee

That's actually our opponent next week. We could play a mirror game, perhaps?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Professor Duck posted:

That's actually our opponent next week. We could play a mirror game, perhaps?

I'm now down a rabbit hole. New Mexico evidently ran a lot of triple option out of the shotgun and pistol.

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I'm now down a rabbit hole. New Mexico evidently ran a lot of triple option out of the shotgun and pistol.

That might be interesting. If I have time to practice a bit, I might take a look at their book.

Otherwise, I think I might run the mirror match here. I'll look at other books, since it seems you guys want option run. I think I might want a touch more versatility.....maybe even Air Force's book, since they had some option plays in there. I'll figure something out.

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

Professor Duck posted:

That might be interesting. If I have time to practice a bit, I might take a look at their book.

Otherwise, I think I might run the mirror match here. I'll look at other books, since it seems you guys want option run. I think I might want a touch more versatility.....maybe even Air Force's book, since they had some option plays in there. I'll figure something out.

So I ran with Mississippi State's playbook, and it wasn't bad! I liked some of what was there, but our passing game is...well, lackluster. I might need to experiment with how to make that more successful.

In the meantime, enjoy the game! It's another close one! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5M8hhMwCAk

NiftyBottle
Jan 1, 2009

radical
Hell yeah! My first touchdown!

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

NiftyBottle posted:

Hell yeah! My first touchdown!

It was on quite a nice throw, too! Hopefully I can get more like that

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

So for the "long" field goals, I assumed the game sees "20 yard line? Yeah, kickers can hit from there," COMPLETELY ignoring the laughable kicking skills they have at their disposal. Is it possible to set up for a kick-six type scenario on those and take advantage of their lovely FG abilities?

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

mercenarynuker posted:

So for the "long" field goals, I assumed the game sees "20 yard line? Yeah, kickers can hit from there," COMPLETELY ignoring the laughable kicking skills they have at their disposal. Is it possible to set up for a kick-six type scenario on those and take advantage of their lovely FG abilities?

There is a FG return play in the playbook. I could try running that next time--who knows what might happen?

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

Hope everyone out there might have their day brightened by a little bad sportsball--lord knows my day went downhill real fast not long after recording this. I checked for errors in editing, so there shouldn't be any, but if there are, I wasn't 100% focused while editing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBRf8_ZjqqI

We, at least, figured out how to throw a ball forward. 200+ passing yards for the first time!

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

I hope you're doing better, Professor Duck.

You've got the outside runs down, but I think you'll have more success than you expect trying to break those 1v1 tackles rather than outrunning/juking away from them.

killer_robot
Aug 26, 2006
Grimey Drawer
What are you trying to do with all those leaps mid field at the end of a run? Does this make the player move faster?

NiftyBottle
Jan 1, 2009

radical

killer_robot posted:

What are you trying to do with all those leaps mid field at the end of a run? Does this make the player move faster?

Some of the players seem to hop along faster than they run (probably "hopping" just goes by animation speed not by player speed, but our players are slow enough that it's unintentionally faster).

Unrelatedly, man, my player had a great game. Nice to see.

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

killer_robot posted:

I've noticed that some of the animations, like the hurdle and juke (to some extent) seem to accelerate the player once the movement has concluded, so if I can get in a situation where a player has some stamina left and can hurdle a few times, he could possibly pull away from the defenders in a kinda-cheesy way. I don't think the programmers were prepared for players being this slow, as even the slowest players in a "normal" game have something like 55-60 speed (with some rare exceptions).

NiftyBottle posted:

Some of the players seem to hop along faster than they run (probably "hopping" just goes by animation speed not by player speed, but our players are slow enough that it's unintentionally faster).

Unrelatedly, man, my player had a great game. Nice to see.

Hopefully you saw the play from where I got the preview image!

oldskool posted:

I hope you're doing better, Professor Duck.

You've got the outside runs down, but I think you'll have more success than you expect trying to break those 1v1 tackles rather than outrunning/juking away from them.

Thank you--I'm doing a little better...not great still, but not nearly as bad as yesterday.

I haven't had too much success breaking tackles, especially on the outside, so I might have to play around with some play options and see if there's a way I can find more success in that.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Hope you are doing OK, Prof. Duck.

How in the name of gently caress was Oregon State #1 the week we played Mississippi State? :psyduck: Can you post Top 25 each week along with the videos, if not too much work?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Professor Duck posted:

I haven't had too much success breaking tackles, especially on the outside

how much of that might be due to the ineptitude of players?

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Hope you are doing OK, Prof. Duck.

How in the name of gently caress was Oregon State #1 the week we played Mississippi State? :psyduck: Can you post Top 25 each week along with the videos, if not too much work?

Thanks--I'm doing a little better, but not 100%

I'll make a habit of showing off the Top 25 after each week's game, before the next episode's matchup preview. Make sure you check out the top 25 at the end of the video I just posted (at the very end). This new football world is a strange one. :v:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

how much of that might be due to the ineptitude of players?

Very likely that plays a significant role, but I could try and be more elusive with spins and angles instead of just hoping I get around the corner and they whiff on dive tackles.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Way to go lawson on picking that ball up and having 0 notable stats otherwise.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Hope you get back to 100% soon. Random dude on the internet rooting for you.

Selfishly, this LP is extremely entertaining to me so I insist that you keep it going.

edit: oh man that top 10 is glorious

KYOON GRIFFEY JR fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Apr 21, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

ilmucche posted:

Way to go lawson on picking that ball up and having 0 notable stats otherwise.

He helped to correct our horrendous turnover differential! That's noteworthy!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Hope you get back to 100% soon. Random dude on the internet rooting for you.

Selfishly, this LP is extremely entertaining to me so I insist that you keep it going.

edit: oh man that top 10 is glorious

Thanks! I'm glad to have some support, also to hear that you're enjoying the series! I've been hoping that I could get this to be a bit more popular, but I guess this isn't a wide appeal series for goons (and I'm far too late for any impact from YouTube itself...not that the goal is to be popular on YouTube, but just to build a fun community around this whole experiment). Either that or I'm not as entertaining without Dewgy. I'm still gonna keep going, though. I've been having fun with it, andim glad for the people like you who have been getting into it!

....and yeah...that top 10 is something else :v:

Professor Duck fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Apr 21, 2020