Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

Professor Duck posted:

He helped to correct our horrendous turnover differential! That's noteworthy!

Thanks! I'm glad to have some support, also to hear that you're enjoying the series! I've been hoping that I could get this to be a bit more popular, but I guess this isn't a wide appeal series for goons (and I'm far too late for any impact from YouTube itself, not that the end goal here is to be popular on YouTube, just to build a fun little community behind this whole experiment). Either that or I'm not as entertaining without Dewgy. I'm still gonna keep going, though. I've been having fun with it, and I'm glad for the people like you who have been getting into it!

....and yeah...that top 10 is something else :v:

Oh for fucks sake I'm stupid. I meant that to be an edit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sprotto
Jul 16, 2017

This is a great LP, and not just because it’s the only thing even close to resembling live, professional (gently caress the ncaa) sport in my life at the moment 😂

I’m actually really hoping you keep playing through the next few seasons, I’d like to see how recruiting impacts the level of competition and maybe if you can get some good development rolls seeing if you can develop a few genuinely mediocre players!

Also if I can request you use the truck/big hit stick thing way more often, that’d be cool. Brain-melting impacts are fine if the players aren’t real

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
you should cross post this jawn in SAS/TFF if you haven't already

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Our school is located out west, and I'm pretty sure they all wear cowboy boots out there. To that end, we need more bootlegs, to go along with our cowboy boots!

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Bringing the forums together with the greatest thread!
As a non-american goon, I've been enjoying this thread despite having a vague understanding at best of the game. I've actually seen one or two games irl, due the fact that one of my flatmates used to play for one of the better Swedish teams (which I assume puts them roughly on par with the teams in the LP :v:)

I have a fair understanding of the rules (though I had to remember/figure out a few things by watching), but I'd enjoy if you went into more details regarding the tactics/playbooks and general terminology in the videos. That might make it more attractive to a wider audience, and would also be an interesting thing to talk about in the commentary.

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

Suntoucher posted:

This is a great LP, and not just because it’s the only thing even close to resembling live, professional (gently caress the ncaa) sport in my life at the moment 😂

I’m actually really hoping you keep playing through the next few seasons, I’d like to see how recruiting impacts the level of competition and maybe if you can get some good development rolls seeing if you can develop a few genuinely mediocre players!

Also if I can request you use the truck/big hit stick thing way more often, that’d be cool. Brain-melting impacts are fine if the players aren’t real

I'm glad you're enjoying it--hope you hang around!

I have plans to continue through as many seasons people can tolerate my stupid crap. There'll be plenty of decisions to make as time goes on, so you guys will have plenty of say in what I'm doing, too.

....and I'll try and get some big hits in more. On offense, I try and truck one-on-one match-ups like what happened in the last game, but it doesn't always work out.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

you should cross post this jawn in SAS/TFF if you haven't already

I'll think about it--I don't get into other boards, so I don't know if they'd be receptive to this, even if there isn't any actual sports happening right now.

mercenarynuker posted:

Our school is located out west, and I'm pretty sure they all wear cowboy boots out there. To that end, we need more bootlegs, to go along with our cowboy boots!

PA bootlegs are a little difficult, since my offensive line can't hold blocks real well. I'll try, though!

Covski posted:

As a non-american goon, I've been enjoying this thread despite having a vague understanding at best of the game. I've actually seen one or two games irl, due the fact that one of my flatmates used to play for one of the better Swedish teams (which I assume puts them roughly on par with the teams in the LP :v:)

I have a fair understanding of the rules (though I had to remember/figure out a few things by watching), but I'd enjoy if you went into more details regarding the tactics/playbooks and general terminology in the videos. That might make it more attractive to a wider audience, and would also be an interesting thing to talk about in the commentary.

I can go through some thought process in play selection, sure. Sometimes I get focused and don't think about it too much.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

you should cross post in tff. check with mod maybe but the peeps love this type of poo poo even if there's real sports.

Covski posted:

this will probably work better outside of the LP. there are some good introductions to football video watching. https://theathletic.com/1145757/2019/10/29/how-to-watch-football-like-an-expert-from-the-comfort-of-your-couch/ is good, ted nguyen is generally decent. i believe the article covers NFL rules and there are some variations but principles are the same.

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

you should cross post in tff. check with mod maybe but the peeps love this type of poo poo even if there's real sports.

I asked a mod, and he mentioned they've done "be a pro" thread with, like, the NHL series before. Perhaps, on the off-season, I'll start a thread over there and point it back here and try and get more people involved. That seems like a good move with the cross-post.

Anyway, I have a new game for y'all! It's in the SNOW! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3fb518SXhA

Also, if you watch nothing else, jump to 50:20 for some interesting "lineup" from the CPU's offense :v:

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Hey, don't think I didn't see you passing on a kicker named Randy Slaughter

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

mercenarynuker posted:

Hey, don't think I didn't see you passing on a kicker named Randy Slaughter

While he does have a FABULOUS name, he's not any better than our current kicker (his KP is, like 42, and his KA is pretty close to the same), and the punter I'm basically at a lock to recruit can do both :v:

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
I like that even in a 40 OVR game, this game still gives North Carolina way too much love. Not too surprised to see Notre Dame up there either, but I am very surprised that Florida State can't even receive a vote. They must be doing really bad.

Those three teams are the worst to compete against, whether it's in an actual game, or recruiting battles.

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

Armitage posted:

I like that even in a 40 OVR game, this game still gives North Carolina way too much love. Not too surprised to see Notre Dame up there either, but I am very surprised that Florida State can't even receive a vote. They must be doing really bad.

Those three teams are the worst to compete against, whether it's in an actual game, or recruiting battles.

Well, a lot of what's happened has become a crap shoot. Minus things like "conference prestige" (and even that's somewhat mitigated by ratings being so unstable), and "Proximity to home", a lot of the recruiting factors are fairly even. Granted, some schools have a boost because I didn't mitigate pipeline states (I normally make every active player on every roster from Alaska, which also fixes the proximity to home issue).

I'm assuming that part of that comes down to schedule grade, too, seeing as there are no real gigantic head-scratchers in the polls (like, say, UTSA or something like that). I'm happy to see that a good chunk of the usual crew aren't in the top 25 anymore

Speaking of the top 25, we're still in it! We're up against Michigan State at home, and it is quite the defensive battle. Either that, or more offensive ineptitude than usual. Also: I'm really not trying to get people killed :v:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cUGTfc1hG8

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

Here's the next week in the Dynasty: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0N2zfZ7718

There's some good plays in there....along with the same typical bad football you've come to know and love throughout this series :v:

We get our first pick-six!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Man I gotta catch up on all three of these videos this weekend. Thanks for truckin through it!

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Man I gotta catch up on all three of these videos this weekend. Thanks for truckin through it!

Hey, I'm having fun with it--I hope you and others out there are, too!

To everyone: We'll have some big decisions to make soon, so keep your eyes on the thread!

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Professor Duck posted:

Here's the next week in the Dynasty: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0N2zfZ7718

There's some good plays in there....along with the same typical bad football you've come to know and love throughout this series :v:

We get our first pick-six!

I'm excited to catch up on this this weekend but drat I'm hoping it was stevens

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

ilmucche posted:

I'm excited to catch up on this this weekend but drat I'm hoping it was stevens

Well, there's an easy way to find that out :v:

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Wow, what a slate of games, goddamn. Especially the Mizzou one, that was fantastic. Plus, it's great to watch half the top 25 get blown up week in and week out

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

mercenarynuker posted:

Wow, what a slate of games, goddamn. Especially the Mizzou one, that was fantastic. Plus, it's great to watch half the top 25 get blown up week in and week out

Thanks! It is always interesting to go back and see how many teams have been swapped out.

On that note, our final home game of the season is in the books, along with the following bye week! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFd7-llqC3A

I really wanna know who came up with "Ball State" as a name for a college. :v:

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Why is it that the routes for receivers always seem to be going crazy before the plays?

Caught up on the mizzou game. Noticed at the end you talk about the pick six, and say the team had one interception on the day. Way to minimize the accomplishments of the only woman on the team, coach. She signed up to stick it to people like you! :mad:

ilmucche fucked around with this message at 13:42 on May 4, 2020

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

ilmucche posted:

Why is it that the routes for receivers always seem to be going crazy before the plays?

Caught up on the mizzou game. Noticed at the end you talk about the pick six, and say the team had one interception on the day. Way to minimize the accomplishments of the only woman on the team, coach. She signed up to stick it to people like you! :mad:

:cripes: Sorry...didn't mean to miss that.

The play-art freaking out like that is part of the "home field advantage". If it's early, or I'm having issues with making plays, or its a close game, you're most likely going to see it. Think of it as the crowd's impact on the game, making it harder to get settled. It's not too hard to get around, although it does throw me from time to time, so I guess it works :v:

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Omg, the TD just before half, Juxtompton outslowed the defender :yeshaha:

edit: and the T25, yes YESSSSSSS

mercenarynuker fucked around with this message at 20:17 on May 6, 2020

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

mercenarynuker posted:

Omg, the TD just before half, Juxtompton outslowed the defender :yeshaha:

edit: and the T25, yes YESSSSSSS

Yeah, it's a pretty excellent play :v:

Also, I know I don't have the episode ready yet, but I just recorded it and WE GET TOTALLY SCREWED :bahgawd:

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Random thing I noticed in the last video: At 50:30 there's a priority score alert and it cuts to Nebraska being down 16-1 to penn state. I thought one point plays could only happen on conversions, so I guess they gave up a touchdown then forced penn state back 80+ yards to score the single?

Also they scored another 2 points. Apparently nebraska is only scoring safeties there.

Introduce the rouge into your heathenous yankee football.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

If the extra point attempt is blocked or short, and the defense tries to return it, you can have a one point safety if the returner is tackled in the end zone. That’s almost certainly what happened. It happened in a Oregon vs K-state game like a decade ago.

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

If the extra point attempt is blocked or short, and the defense tries to return it, you can have a one point safety if the returner is tackled in the end zone. That’s almost certainly what happened. It happened in a Oregon vs K-state game like a decade ago.

TIL that 1 point safties are a thing. Neat!

grill youre saelf
Jan 22, 2006

Just getting caught up with this and am surprised that Juxtompton has two touchdowns! He is so drat slow and bad at catching, I assumed he would have lost his starting spot already.

At least I get the choice of thinking his week 10 catch over the head of a receiver or his slow shamble towards the endzone at halftime in week 13 will the highlight of his career.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

To get an extra point attempt they would've had to score a touchdown though. They had 1 point on the board. The only way that can happen is if they safety the other team on the other team's extra point attempt.

I remember watching that bowl game with the 1 point play on tv. Was far too excited about it.

ilmucche fucked around with this message at 13:05 on May 8, 2020

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

grill youre saelf posted:

Just getting caught up with this and am surprised that Juxtompton has two touchdowns! He is so drat slow and bad at catching, I assumed he would have lost his starting spot already.

At least I get the choice of thinking his week 10 catch over the head of a receiver or his slow shamble towards the endzone at halftime in week 13 will the highlight of his career.

Ya gotta remember: EVERYONE playing football is horrible! Football hasn't existed for 100+ years! There's a reason I cut no one at the beginning of the season.

Granted, almost every position is playing a timeshare since people tend to get hurt after 2-4 plays. :v:

Anyway, here's Week 15--It's Cougar on Cougar action! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fq8xFuviTAM

Also: We only have our bowl game left, so we need to make some decisions in the upcoming weeks. While next episode will be the bowl game, I need some guidance for what comes after that. Below is a list of decisions that we'll need to make. Some are minor, some are huge, but popular vote here will determine what we do. If no one votes for an option in one of the choices, I'll leave it up to chance!

Feel free to voice an opinion on some or all of the questions, but please BOLD your responses so I can see them easier.

• Team--Do we continue with BYU or do we choose another team? (if yes, I'll figure out what teams are going to offer us a contract and give that list here)
  • Team (cont'd)--if we stay with BYU, do we join a conference? If yes, which one?
  • League--do we reform the way the conferences are formatted? We can make them locked to specific regions, we can randomly assign teams to conferences, we can create a relegation system (which I've already done and have a system to do it with), or we can leave them alone
  • Bowls--do we edit or remove bowl tie-ins? (That means the winner of specific conferences go play in specific bowls)
  • Stadium--do we change up the stadium a little? (like, use the black field for home games, for example).
  • Rivals--do we re-assign any rivalries we have?
  • Schedule--any specific teams we should play?
  • Recruiting focus--should we try and beef up specific positions?

I will be opening up space to re-name players after the off-season concludes. I'll let you know what spots are available.

I'll be recording all of the off-season activities that are related to these questions next Thursday, May 14, so voting/comments will end at 12:00 PM EDT that day.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

this was rad so far. WE WUZ ROBBED. opinions:

Team--Do we continue with BYU or do we choose another team? (if yes, I'll figure out what teams are going to offer us a contract and give that list here) Stick with BYU, we gotta win a national title
Team (cont'd)--if we stay with BYU, do we join a conference? If yes, which one? Stay independent, but if we must let's try to join the SEC
League--do we reform the way the conferences are formatted? We can make them locked to specific regions, we can randomly assign teams to conferences, we can create a relegation system (which I've already done and have a system to do it with), or we can leave them alone Let's leave em alone for now
Bowls--do we edit or remove bowl tie-ins? (That means the winner of specific conferences go play in specific bowls) Bowl tie ins are good
Stadium--do we change up the stadium a little? (like, use the black field for home games, for example). Our stadium is very senic, we should keep the majestic Wasatch. However if you want to make the turf black that would be pretty rad
Rivals--do we re-assign any rivalries we have? make a rivalry with bama
Schedule--any specific teams we should play? we want bama
Recruiting focus--should we try and beef up specific positions? games are won in the trenches beef up them lines

HereticMIND
Nov 4, 2012

Team--Do we continue with BYU or do we choose another team? (if yes, I'll figure out what teams are going to offer us a contract and give that list here) Stay with BYU for another 2 seasons or until we win a Natty, whichever is sooner
Team (cont'd)--if we stay with BYU, do we join a conference? If yes, which one? The PAC12 must be REBORN in OUR image!
League--do we reform the way the conferences are formatted? We can make them locked to specific regions, we can randomly assign teams to conferences, we can create a relegation system (which I've already done and have a system to do it with), or we can leave them alone Keep them the way they are for right now
Bowls--do we edit or remove bowl tie-ins? (That means the winner of specific conferences go play in specific bowls) Sounds neat. You've got the nod!
Stadium--do we change up the stadium a little? (like, use the black field for home games, for example). YES! Free tacos on Tuesdays! Black field for special home games (like for school holidays such as Senior Day), with tickets half off! Spirit Day swag! My inner marketing agent is going gaga with ideas!
Rivals--do we re-assign any rivalries we have? BYU shall forever be the thorn in Nick Saban's side. Alabama must be our whipping boy.
Schedule--any specific teams we should play? The sooner Bama gets on the schedule, the better.
Recruiting focus--should we try and beef up specific positions? Both our D-Line and our O-Line need new meat for the grinder new talent to bolster the core.

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

Couple of good responses so far, but I did neglect one thing: I want to build a playbook!

While the random playbook has been an interesting experiment, I think we should build something to settle on, at least for one season (maybe we just make a new one each season?)

To that end, help me build a playbook! The video linked below includes all of the offensive formations that are in the game. Give me one or two offensive formations to use and I'll put them in our book. I'm only guaranteeing 3 formations that will already be in
  • Goal Line Normal
  • Shotgun Normal
  • Shotgun Monster
The rest will be up to you (unless I need more formations and don't get them from you, then I'll figure out something)

Again, responses in BOLD so I can spot them easier.

Reference video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrEUJLwDJAM

HereticMIND
Nov 4, 2012

PISTOL—Full House
I-FORM—Slot

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

WILDCAT - Fight Song
WILDCAT - Slot

also a request: turn off injuries, since this game is so much safer than it was a hundred years ago :v:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

MARYLAND - WIDE
PISTOL - FLEXBONE TRIPS

the first is extremely funny to me and i think the second could arguably be useful

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

MARYLAND - WIDE
PISTOL - FLEXBONE TRIPS

the first is extremely funny to me and i think the second could arguably be useful

I think there could be some fun to be had with the Maryland I. It makes me think of this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Yq2Rwtcm9M

One play. 9 blockers, and one wide receiver. I could hot route everyone to pass block and let the WR just run. I don't think it'll work TOO well, but it could be funny to try at some point :v:

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

Here we are--the thrilling conclusion to the inaugural season of football!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4doyL2D0BI

I'll be doing the off-season (coaching carousel, players leaving, final recruiting, training) in another video, and then doing pre-season (schedule, redshirts, etc) in a separate video to start season 2. Once I post the last video of the off-season stuff, I'll put up a prompt for claiming new players, since our starting rotation will (most likely) be different in a lot of places. I'll list the number of available players so that people that claim players are most likely to be starters. I'll also be cross-posting to the sports forum to see if there are any takers there, so watch out for that update coming soon!

Hope you guys enjoyed this little experiment. There's more I can do (and more editing capabilities being discovered--mostly cosmetic stuff, but I might have an interesting experiment in mind for later), and hopefully there'll be interest in it.

See ya in Season 2! :v:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Professor Duck posted:

I think there could be some fun to be had with the Maryland I. It makes me think of this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Yq2Rwtcm9M

One play. 9 blockers, and one wide receiver. I could hot route everyone to pass block and let the WR just run. I don't think it'll work TOO well, but it could be funny to try at some point :v:

This is extremely good, and I hadn't seen this one. Only downside is our receivers are not good. Please be including all Maryland plays, there's only three that I saw in the video.

edit: watchin the bowl video and my kicker owns. FG and a bunch of PAT and a big tackle on a KO.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR fucked around with this message at 19:52 on May 11, 2020

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

This is extremely good, and I hadn't seen this one. Only downside is our receivers are not good. Please be including all Maryland plays, there's only three that I saw in the video.

edit: watchin the bowl video and my kicker owns. FG and a bunch of PAT and a big tackle on a KO.

Well, we're set to have competent WRs and a QB that might be able to hit them, so...:shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Professor Duck posted:

Well, we're set to have competent WRs and a QB that might be able to hit them, so...:shrug:

How dare you show no loyalty to School Legend Johnny Hats :colbert: