Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Bringing the forums together with the greatest thread!

Professor Duck posted:

I'm pretty certain I can't do special characters (I'll take a closer look when I go to edit), but I'll keep the name. I also have an excellent LB I picked up that would work well!

If you can't do special characters completely normal European letters, it would normally be transcribed as Oestan Haerkaas.

I mostly just want to make you pronounce a hard name whenever my guy does a thing though :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NiftyBottle
Jan 1, 2009

radical
This is a little late, but if you're cool with it, I'd love a tight end named Ace Bogard and/or a defensive line named Henry Fisher.

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

NiftyBottle posted:

This is a little late, but if you're cool with it, I'd love a tight end named Ace Bogard and/or a defensive line named Henry Fisher.

Sadly, I had already started everything...just seeing this this morning. I will see if I can sneak one of those guys in somewhere. Probably on the D line.

Covski posted:

If you can't do special characters completely normal European letters, it would normally be transcribed as Oestan Haerkaas.

I mostly just want to make you pronounce a hard name whenever my guy does a thing though :v:

I will do my best with it. If umlauts function the same here as in German, I'll probably get close :v:

With all that said, let's get our pre/revenge tour underway with A HOLY WAR!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2oLV-gL_o4

grill youre saelf
Jan 22, 2006

Professor Duck posted:

Sadly, I had already started everything...just seeing this this morning. I will see if I can sneak one of those guys in somewhere. Probably on the D line.

I will do my best with it. If umlauts function the same here as in German, I'll probably get close :v:

With all that said, let's get our pre/revenge tour underway with A HOLY WAR!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2oLV-gL_o4

NCAA offensive player of the week HB Orphan :grin:

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Just started watching the first game. Was excited to see that the fastest, strongest and most agile member of the team was the angry french woman at safety only for her to go out for season the first kick return. c'est la vie

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

ilmucche posted:

Just started watching the first game. Was excited to see that the fastest, strongest and most agile member of the team was the angry french woman at safety only for her to go out for season the first kick return. c'est la vie

Yeah....I wasn't happy about that, either. Can't say I expected that from the get-go, but that's the danger of playing a sport that has only had 1 season completed in the last 100+ years.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Professor Duck posted:

Yeah....I wasn't happy about that, either. Can't say I expected that from the get-go, but that's the danger of playing a sport that has only had 1 season completed in the last 100+ years.

It's a shame because next season the league might catch up to her. she could've held a record for kickoff returns blowing past 45-50 speed losers :v:

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

They can't stop Biif! He's just so beefy and so chunky.

Everytime you give him the ball good things happen.

Edit: Welp just saw he got injured. So much for that.

8 ypc though what a beast.

fucking love Fiona Apple fucked around with this message at 21:38 on May 18, 2020

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

loving love Fiona Apple posted:

They can't stop Biif! He's just so beefy and so chunky.

Everytime you give him the ball good things happen.

Edit: Welp just saw he got injured. So much for that.

8 ypc though what a beast.

He was definitely holding his own, although he was only out for a quarter. He'll be back in all his chunky glory next game!

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007
Doesn't know the impossible.

ilmucche posted:

It's a shame because next season the league might catch up to her. she could've held a record for kickoff returns blowing past 45-50 speed losers :v:

And instead apparently Crockett's going to try for that record. Her sacrifice will not be in vain :)

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

Nick Buntline posted:

And instead apparently Crockett's going to try for that record. Her sacrifice will not be in vain :)

Well, the speed certainly helped, but there was some legitimate blocking happening on that punt return!

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

I nearly stood up and cheered at Hats coming within a loving shoelace of reclaiming his NCAA record

That said, at least we set a new NCAA record this game! Penn15 (tm)!

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

mercenarynuker posted:

I nearly stood up and cheered at Hats coming within a loving shoelace of reclaiming his NCAA record

That said, at least we set a new NCAA record this game! Penn15 (tm)!

There's always next game, since it seems that we're still going to be bumping off our quarterbacks on a regular basis :v:

...and I'll probably get some better punts next time, so we'll most likely break that, too!

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

Week 2! We play what seems to be a very hated team around here, Alabama!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quyD8J57_t4

:shittypop:Also, I GIF'd a nasty hit that I couldn't call up in the highlights after the game (I need to figure out what the game preserves as able to make a highlight). Go look at that, too

HereticMIND
Nov 4, 2012

Something funny about all this is that all the FCS schools have all turned into unstoppable juggernauts, if the losses of Hawaii and Cincy are anything to go by.

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Jesus gently caress, every FCS dropping like 50 on their opponents, good god. Do FCS have like a static 75 overall for their players?

edit: literally not a SINGLE game ended with FCS below 50 points. FBS managed a pair of field goals (Thanks Hawai'i and Utah State!). loving savage (peep that BoCo final)

mercenarynuker fucked around with this message at 04:46 on May 23, 2020

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

:rip: To my boy Biff.

May he eat many Beef Bowls and opposing defenders in heaven. :pray:

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

mercenarynuker posted:

Jesus gently caress, every FCS dropping like 50 on their opponents, good god. Do FCS have like a static 75 overall for their players?

HereticMIND posted:

Something funny about all this is that all the FCS schools have all turned into unstoppable juggernauts, if the losses of Hawaii and Cincy are anything to go by.

That is the one unfortunate quirk about how the teams are drawn up. FCS teams are coded in a way that I can't edit them using the EA DB editor. They have set overalls (total, offense, and defense), and I believe that their rosters are "set", but its different players each game, which is why you can end up with 4 teams playing "FCS East" in a week.

If I knew a way to fix that, I would....but it looks like, for now, FCS games are traps :v:

The FCS Teams are pegged around 65-66 overall, with slight variations between offensive and defensive overalls based on the team

Professor Duck fucked around with this message at 18:03 on May 23, 2020

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

:rip: To my boy Biff.

May he eat many Beef Bowls and opposing defenders in heaven. :pray:

Hopefully he'll be back in time to help win a National Championship!

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Professor Duck posted:

The FCS Teams are pegged around 65-66 overall, with slight variations between offensive and defensive overalls based on the team

So you're saying since they don't participate in recruiting and don't get better or worse, they're basically hard-coded to automatically be a half step behind the worst controllable teams in a "normal" game? Making them unstoppable doom monsters here, where they're now better than a good FBS team by near the same amount that a good FBS team is normally better than them?

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

JohnCompany posted:

So you're saying since they don't participate in recruiting and don't get better or worse, they're basically hard-coded to automatically be a half step behind the worst controllable teams in a "normal" game? Making them unstoppable doom monsters here, where they're now better than a good FBS team by near the same amount that a good FBS team is normally better than them?

Essentially, yes. FCS teams don't participate in recruiting, and will always have a compliment of players that matches the overall stat. Now, I'm not certain if, when the game generates the team, if the stats of the individual players fluctuate within the limits of the overall, or if the names/builds change.

I've tried to swap assets from the FCS teams to FBS teams, but my experiments have soft-locked the game (ex. I tried to use their helmet/logo/color IDs with UMass for fun, and it got stuck on the loading screen, never actually finishing loading). I'm still working on that, 'cause I want ot do an experiment with something, and I still have had extremely limited success editing dynasties with teambuilder teams.

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

I think it's pretty cool. Gives something to look forward to when we're finally good enough to compete with them.

Even if lore wise it makes zero sense.

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

I think it's pretty cool. Gives something to look forward to when we're finally good enough to compete with them.

Even if lore wise it makes zero sense.

Yeah--about the only thing I could do is scan everyone's schedule to make sure that they're not scheduled to play a FCS team, and the change it to an opponent that doesn't have a scheduled game, but that would take an insane amount of time, because I would need to :

1.) Verify both teams are not scheduled for someone else
2.) If they are, changing those opponents, or setting a bye week
3.) Make sure that any teams don't drop below 11 games
4.) Make sure that any teams don't exceed 12 games

Seeing as a LOT of teams choose to play FCS teams as their first game of the season, it would take a good chunk of time to edit. Especially since the DB editor gets kinda wonky when you try and use filter functions.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I support FCS Supremacy.

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I support FCS Supremacy.

Well, usually the FCS teams only make an appearance at the beginning of the season, as a "tune-up game". Usually big schools pay little schools to let their D1 teams use D2 schools as tackling dummies. Of course, there are some pretty awesome upsets in those arrangements, though...

Anyway, our next game is up, and....uh....I'll just let the title of the video speak for itself: "Frogstomp"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WesHiEBd2Ds

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

I would love to have our last game of every season be against an FCS team. Just as a way to gauge our progress based on how badly they stomp on us.

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

I would love to have our last game of every season be against an FCS team. Just as a way to gauge our progress based on how badly they stomp on us.

I could work scheduling like that, but most likely losing that game would cost us a National Championship bid, unless we won. I honestly don't know what would happen.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

(watching Bama) Why are you making my guy field punts and yeet INTs??? my stats!

Also I'm so stoked that he's black. Conservative elements of the Church must be pissed

edit: SCHOOL PASSING RECORD BAY BEE

KYOON GRIFFEY JR fucked around with this message at 15:57 on May 26, 2020

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

(watching Bama) Why are you making my guy field punts and yeet INTs??? my stats!

Also I'm so stoked that he's black. Conservative elements of the Church must be pissed

edit: SCHOOL PASSING RECORD BAY BEE

The field punts thing is the game auto-arranging depth charts in a really stupid way. The game ONLY looks at OVR when filling the chart, without any consideration for other factors, like theyr actual speed, or what position they play, or injury stat, or anything like that. So, for whatever stupid thing they calculate punt returners on, he was 2nd on the chart for that game. I have since fixed that problem.

The INTs....one was totally on me for pushing the wrong button, the other was still a bad choice on my part, but not 100% my fault. Obviously I'll need to be paying close attention to defenses, but hopefully I'm getting better at reading coverage. I've always played run first offenses, so trying to balance that is a little difficult sometimes.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

im just giving you poo poo, i feel a lot better since The Angel Moroni is still slangin it all over the field and shredded TCU

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

I don't know how it is in this game button Madden "Kick Returns" is its own dedicated stat that doesn't do anything but affect sim starts.

So if you have a guy with 99 speed in 95 punt return and the guy with 90 speed in 96 punt return the game will always put the guy with higher punt return as the returner.

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

I don't know how it is in this game button Madden "Kick Returns" is its own dedicated stat that doesn't do anything but affect sim starts.

So if you have a guy with 99 speed in 95 punt return and the guy with 90 speed in 96 punt return the game will always put the guy with higher punt return as the returner.

Well, here's the funny/stupid/typical EA thing: there is a "Return" stat, but it seems to have gently caress-all to do with where the CPU placed people on the depth chart. For example, Wilson von Wilson was placed 3rd on the depth chart on the kick and pint return slots. His Return stat is 32, which is one of the lowest on the team. I'm guessing it has to be a combo of stuff, but I can't determine what. I know I've seen a "OVR weighting" sheet for NCAA 13, but I don't know if those weights carried over to 14

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

So I'd normally be posting a new episode today, hut things have been.... interesting, and not in a good way.

I'll be back to recording and posting as normal on Monday.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

Professor Duck posted:

I know I've seen a "OVR weighting" sheet for NCAA 13, but I don't know if those weights carried over to 14

Iirc the ratings weights are something like 95% the same from 13-14; like the QB ratings changed to make the injury stat a 10th of a point more valuable or something tiny like that.

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

TheFlyingLlama posted:

Iirc the ratings weights are something like 95% the same from 13-14; like the QB ratings changed to make the injury stat a 10th of a point more valuable or something tiny like that.

I'll have to poke around and see if I can find any documentation.

Anyway, new episode is up! We continue our roue of Utah domination by going to Utah State for the battle of the beehive boot!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InqEKqYwla8

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

please dont make my beautiful baby boy play cornerback

84 yd TD run tho yeeah

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

please dont make my beautiful baby boy play cornerback

84 yd TD run tho yeeah

A shame most of the offense went out the drat window this week...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvZHz9r4wAk

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

gently caress YEAH, BRONCOS! Rowin the boat 2 years ahead of schedule, and only the second year into Fleck's tenure

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

mercenarynuker posted:

gently caress YEAH, BRONCOS! Rowin the boat 2 years ahead of schedule, and only the second year into Fleck's tenure

That's one of the things I love about this setup==seeing all the teams in the top 25!

Especially Akron. Every time I see them in non-modified seasons, they always, ALWAYS get destroyed by everyone to the point I thought that they were just permanently cursed by the developers (Like, 1-10 records every year, and they're not even the lowest-rated team). Good to see them doing something good for a change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

oh no my heisman campaign