Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Namtab posted:

Im going to ruin that guy and anyone who made him watch kodomo no jikan. When i am mod they will feel regret

Just what the gently caress is a Komodo no Judoka anyway that makes it so bad? I'm asking here because I don't want to google it in case it really is that bad a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Deca-Dence clearly borrowed from a lot of 'we live in a fortress-city surrounded by monsters' stories, but I think the one it reminded me of most is God Eater. Also, the animation was as wild as expected. Also, the character designs were extremely Kenichi Yoshida, and I was quite surprised to see that they were done by the Death Parade guy instead.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Just what the gently caress is a Komodo no Judoka anyway that makes it so bad? I'm asking here because I don't want to google it in case it really is that bad a thing.

going by the name, im guessing something to do with pedophilia...

vvv: called it...

Watermelon Daiquiri fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jul 8, 2020

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

It's a show about a grade schooler trying to gently caress her teacher and the teacher being receptive to this.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
IIRC the reason why the series is a posting nuke (other than the obvious) is because someone always goes "WELL ACTUALLY it's a story about the cycle of abuse", but it ends with the relationship being healthy and good because it's still a series aimed at lolicons.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Terrible Opinions posted:

It's a show about a grade schooler trying to gently caress her teacher and the teacher being receptive to this.

Oh, it's that thing. I'd forgotten its name but not the description goddamnit.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

mycot posted:

IIRC the reason why the series is a posting nuke (other than the obvious) is because someone always goes "WELL ACTUALLY it's a story about the cycle of abuse", but it ends with the relationship being healthy and good because it's still a series aimed at lolicons.
agreed. we need to ban mari okada's account.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

kodomo no jikan -> kodomo no omocha -> astarotte no omocha

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Another entry for Deca Dence is cool.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Natsumi looks like a delightful protagonist.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Spiritus Nox posted:

Natsumi looks like a delightful protagonist.

She really is. Genuinly curious about what sort of shitshow this might turn out to be in terms of overlapping insanity but at the very least she's going to be bringing enough energy to make it enjoyable

Vahtooch
Sep 18, 2009

What is this [S T A N D] going to do? Once its crossed through the barrier, what's it going to do? When it comes in here, and reads my [P O S T S], what's it going to do to me?
Well that first episode of Deca Dence was super cool. Giving me me super strong vibes of Franxx with the characters/ mood of Gurren Lagan without the terrible writing. Here's hoping it keeps it up.

I'm always just very much here for needlessly long lists of people yelling blizzard nouns and the mecha doing cool stuff.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

i love love love the environment design of deca-dence.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Futaba Anzu posted:

i love love love the environment design of deca-dence.

:yeah:

The whole first ep was pretty great, good character animation, action, and interesting setting. The rocket punch was hype.

God of High School was also a fun first ep, though apparently it's skipping over a lot of the characters backstory. I laughed at the blatant Webtoon and Crunchyroll advertising mid episode.

Anyways feel free to talk about the new season stuff in here until I get the new thread up. Thanks for your patience everyone.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Julias posted:

God of High School was also a fun first ep, though apparently it's skipping over a lot of the characters backstory.

a good decision because that poo poo was rollicking

they can wait to tell me about their childhoods until after i've been given cool reasons to care

Vahtooch
Sep 18, 2009

What is this [S T A N D] going to do? Once its crossed through the barrier, what's it going to do? When it comes in here, and reads my [P O S T S], what's it going to do to me?
Yeah, that was a very stylish first episode with a banger of an opening song. I did love how noone really batted an eyelid at a teenager keeping up with a motorbike on a pushbike...

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

https://twitter.com/masaakiyuasa/status/1281121533637742595

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Is Deca-Dence a bilingual pun or something?

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Decadence

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Namtab posted:

Decadence

Yeah, I know about that bit, but I was wondering whether it was punning on some Japanese as well.

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Echoing the love for Deca-Dence, really solid first episode with a good mix of comedy, action, and delightfully weird world-building.

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG

Darth Walrus posted:

Yeah, I know about that bit, but I was wondering whether it was punning on some Japanese as well.

ANN did an interview with the director and he said: "The themes of this anime revolve around “ruin” and “decline,” so I think it draws from the negative sense of the [English meaning of the] word. Also, in Japanese, we refer to huge things as “dekai,” so I wanted the sound of “deka” in it.

The “Dence” part is pronounced as “dance” in Japanese, but it has the same meaning as “to live.” So I wanted to convey the seemingly opposite meanings, one of which is the general meaning of “ruin” and the other is “living big.”

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

macabresca posted:

ANN did an interview with the director and he said: "The themes of this anime revolve around “ruin” and “decline,” so I think it draws from the negative sense of the [English meaning of the] word. Also, in Japanese, we refer to huge things as “dekai,” so I wanted the sound of “deka” in it.

The “Dence” part is pronounced as “dance” in Japanese, but it has the same meaning as “to live.” So I wanted to convey the seemingly opposite meanings, one of which is the general meaning of “ruin” and the other is “living big.”

I loving love etymology explanations like this, no joke.

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
Yeah, me too. Languages are awesome

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Since I knew nothing of Deca-Dence, I thought Deca was a word play on the alternative way of saying "detective", like Double Decker! or something. :sweatdrop:

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

nth-ing "Deca Dence loving rules"

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

I guess I'm subscribing to Funimation then.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
With all the references to 'bugs' and the scene at the end, I wonder if DD has some Matrix poo poo going on?

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

god of highschool was cool and fun

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Japan Sinks dropped and it's very difficult to watch. I don't think I'll be able to binge it.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Yeah, I could tell by the trailer that it would be a much more taxing watch than Crybaby.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
I’ve watched three episodes now and it just feels weird to watch. Like, there’s a lot of death, which is what I kind of expected, but it doesn’t let any of it breath and now I just expected it to happen when they move to a new area. The soundtrack makes the series feel like it wants it to be this tragic melancholic tale but when people are dying and sometimes just so completely random, you end up kind of shrugging your shoulders at it.

It’s moving at an incredibly odd pace and at this point I almost wonder why they decided to make this because it doesn’t feel like there’s any heart to this. Just go watch Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 instead because it’s way way better. I’m probably gonna end up finishing this because I’m almost halfway through anyway and only working 12 hours a week, but there’s much much better out there to watch this season from what I’ve watched so far.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

I'm binging Japan Sinks and hoo boy is it goin places. It's really just a straightforward disaster story w a body count and, as I'm watching it, a gently increasing weird streak. The characters are OK. I dunno, six eps in, its gettin wobbly on me, but it's still gripping!

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Deca-Dence is good

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Is it sinking into a sea of porcupines?

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

Nitrousoxide posted:

Deca-Dence is good

I love the animation of this show. Sort of like a more refined Trigger.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Yeah it really feels Trigger ish, but they’ve refined that kind of loudmouth underdog character to be less grating, she’s only a bit of a fuckup rather than an extended fuckup who exclusively gets through situations via bumbling. All it takes is showing her pulling up her sleeves to do manual labor, and treating people around her with kindness and respect.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Deca-Dence and God of High School have very promising first episodes. Wasn't expecting much from the latter but it has great energy.

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
Speaking of God of High School, does anybody here knows the source material? I heard that the plot is not very good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting
Deca-Dence premiere was great. Tons of personality and so many great faces. I have a feeling the actiony elements are going to kinda bounce off of me, but there's so much else there so far. Anime is good.

I was unprepared for anything that the HxEros premiere threw at me. First few minutes were stale mediocre ecchi, then Things Happened and I was just at a loss for words at what I was witnessing. I'm glad I went in blind on this one.