Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Getting extreme Eureka 7 vibes from "Listeners"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Well, anime is one of those things that CAN be still created in a WFH environment (the voice acting would be the hardest part), unlike live action at a set TV or movies. There's a lot of money to be made by being able to keep pumping out content especially is a bunch of your competition can't work.

Knowing Japanese work culture though, they likely cannot even fathom a WFH process and are doing nothing to prepare their teams for it.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Tales of Woe posted:

bakarina and bookworm have both been confirmed finished for a while but yeah that's an unusual situation and they're both very modest productions.

animators can work from home, but other parts of the process probably use specialized studio hardware/software that won't easily transition to home use. audio in particular requires people present in a recording studio.

Yeah, dubbing and foley work are hard to do without a studio. Even if you got your voice team all the equipment needed for home work, foley requires a pretty big variety of materials to get their sound samples and an extremely quiet place. Maybe there are online repositories that can help, but they can't provide everything you need.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Argue posted:

You might also be interested in Ascendance of a Bookworm; it's not a power fantasy (I mean, technically, knowledge is power, but it's definitely not about someone steamrolling over all the baddies), avoids most of the annoying tropes, and also has the slice of life vibe that Bakarina has, even though I wouldn't really put them in the same genre.

Maine is pulling a Connecticut Yankee and a King Arthur's Court move and bringing world changing knowledge about paper making and other modern crafts to a medieval society and has made more money in the one year she's been herself than her family would likely have made in a lifetime.

It's very much a power fantasy for nerds.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Tower of God continues to be my show of the season.

Surprised there's no thread for it yet

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

The anime's art is WAAAAAAAY better than the manwha from what I've seen in a couple of chapters.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Reiche posted:

Tower of God has been around for roughly a decade now and you can see the artist's talent evolve along with the story. If you looked at any content from the latest chapters compared to the beginning, it's a night and day difference in quality. I reread ToG (475 chapters now) after I heard it was getting animated and the shift in style is almost breathtaking.

Whew, those bangs

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Apr 23, 2020

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

How about instead of wishing that people would be put in bodily peril so you can watch your Japanese cartoons, you hope that the anime studios develop effective work from home workflows to continue bringing the content safely.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

IMO gridman had a terrible ending. The last like 10 seconds legit ruined the entire show for me

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Endorph posted:

I loved gridmans ending, what didnt you like about it?

The whole it's all a dream thing immediately and completely ruined the show for me.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Nate RFB posted:

Gridman's ending occupies this weird space in my mind where I like everything about it but wish the actual episode was about twice as long to let more plot threads breathe and touch on some other elements that they kind of had to skip over.

Also yeah the digital world isn't fake, it's the digital world. That's the whole gist of classic Gridman too, after all.

Having never seen the original gridman, nothing about the ending indicates the place we spent the whole show on is anything but a dream. They go on about how nothing exists outside of the city, presumably because that's the extent of her dream, and it literally ends with her waking up in her bed in a live action sequence. If it was supposed to be relating this was anything but a dream they did a terrible job of it.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

What I don't get is why people get so mad at the idea that the story might be entirely set in Akane's head. A team of extradimensional superheroes playing Inception to help a girl out of her clinical depression is also a perfectly fine story with meaningful stakes. Going 'oh, it was just about a depressed girl' seems like a rejection of the empathy that the show preaches. It was real and serious for one person, and that's enough.

I can get behind this reading I suppose. I had taken it originally as it JUST being a dream that was entirely unconsequential. As long as there were stakes and a pay off that results in a changed world, even just a change to Akane to make her a happier person I'll withdraw my objection on that point.

I still think that if the intent was to also convey that the non-live action world was actually not a dream and had it's own existence apart from Akane that they did a poor job of establishing that.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Patware posted:

The Bookworm stuff would give me less pause if we weren't talking about 6 year olds

Like Main acknowledging the system is hosed up is one thing but I would really like her to flinch before press ganging a bunch of children who have no other options into her personal workforce. At least one throwaway thing

Doesn't she literally not have the resources to help them otherwise? It's this or starve?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Sindai posted:

Nami yo Kiitekure is extremely good.

I looked at a description and it didn't seem especially compelling. What's good about it? I got more time than I know what to do with in quarantine.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Kwyndig posted:

None of that shows the main character, a spider.

Actually, it does.

5 spiders in fact!

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Exia posted:

From what I’ve heard, it doesn’t really get worse or anything. It meanders about for a few novels while the author tries to come up with a new plot, but once that starts it’s fine.

Edit: Bookworm S3 announced as well
https://twitter.com/RanobeSugoi/status/1274404873404952577?s=20

I really like bookworm so this is great

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Deca-Dence is good

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I swear someone came up with that name and worked backwards to make it a series.

I've made d&d characters that way.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

The guy who voices the main male lead also voiced Asta from Black clover who is probably the most obnoxiously voiced character in all of anime. So I don't have high hopes for it.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Coxswain Balls posted:

https://i.imgur.com/XT5L9dS.gifv

Uzaki-chan is so dumb but in a way that makes me laugh. Dat flesh fang.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1U4SAgy60c

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

I personally really enjoy bookworm and am really glad to see another season in the works.