Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
So, the world is pretty hosed up and confusing right now, and I'm really upset lately about a lot of things. Very little makes sense in the world. Not only that, but pro wrestling itself is in a really odd spot. We're getting a pre-taped WrestleMania with no fans. AEW is going to keep running shows too, but their next big event is postponed indefinitely and it's not exactly clear how typical the shows are going to be. For all we know the promotion might want to at least somewhat tread water until things stabilize, and honestly, who could blame them? Things are seemingly starting to normalize in Japan, at least (hooray!), at least to some degree, but things still feel the furthest thing from stable. However, instead of wallowing, I decided to watch some of my favorite matches on the Network, some old classics. Predictably, I settled on The Shield vs. Evolution, and watching that was an interesting experience. It was the first time I've watched ANYTHING Shield in the better part of a year because it honestly kinda makes me sad in some ways that should be pretty obvious. I will go to my grave saying The Shield was the best trio in WWE history, and the way it ended was perhaps not quite as ignominious as it may have seemed right around the time of Mox's jump given that he and Rollins are apparently on good terms and Mox and Roman were always cool. However, it really got me thinking about the number of forks in the road that led to where we are now, and then it got me thinking, since "normal" wrestling probably isn't gonna happen for a while, why not go into the realms of hypotheticals? I debated whether or not this topic was really worth posting, but I really wanna write about wrestling right now, so in the end I settled on :justpost:, and hopefully you guys enjoy this idea as much as I did and it takes off! I'll start my three ideas off with what I consider the real flux point of the fracturing of the relationship between Jon Moxley and WWE, and therefore the hypothetical that birthed this idea in the first place.

What If...Roman Reigns Never Had His Cancer Resurface?

The man known at the time as Dean Ambrose has said he knew for a long time that he wanted to leave WWE once his contract was up. But honestly, in the alternate reality where the WrestleMania plans didn't get derailed by Roman Reigns's cancer reemergence, part of me wonders if he'd have been persuaded to stay. The heel turn on Seth Rollins was always planned. Matter of fact, to hear Seth tell it, the boys were actually given an option to wait and remain a team at least for a week or two given the emotional nature of the night, but they ultimately decided to go with the original plan. We all know what happened then. But if Roman had been healthy, at least according to Dave Metlzer, the plan was to have Roman Reigns vs. Dean Ambrose at WrestleMania. Win or lose, that would likely have been Dean's biggest Mania match ever, because I guarantee you Roman would have given him a hell of a lot more than Brock Lesnar did, and poo poo, the match may have even been for the Universal Championship. Would the build to that match have been better than "the fans are stinky"? Maybe not, but I certainly think it's a possibility, especially given the presumable magnitude of the match. Would that program have been enough to rejuvenate Dean Ambrose enough so that he wouldn't die so that Jon Moxley might live? To hear Jon tell it, I think probably not, but it certainly may have stood a chance. Would AEW be in as strong of a position? Probably so, at least mostly, but the show might not have Jon Moxley, who, as the first major "jumper", in my opinion has given AEW a real air of "holy poo poo, they're not loving around" that the promotion has really benefited from.

What If...The Nexus Had Beaten John Cena's Team Of Stupid Idiots At Summerslam?

This one is tricky. According to some, the Nexus was dead by like, week two or three, well before The Dumbest Match Ending Ever. However, for my money, I'm not so sure. Now let me be clear, I don't think The Nexus would still be going or would be talked about like The Shield or Evolution or The Four Horsemen or The Elite or anything like that, but I do think it's at least a reasonable assumption to say that the group may have remained hotter and made more stars than it did. The fact that both Edge and Chris Jericho, the latter of whom can do basically no wrong in terms of wrestling in 2020 (sans boosting Jake Hager) both lobbied for JCTOSI to put the new guys over and the fact that Cena has said in the years since he regrets refusing to do it lends credence to the idea. I tend to think at the very least Wade Barrett may have gotten a top run out of it. Would Justin Gabriel have perhaps become a good high flying babyface after eventually getting kicked to the curb by Wade? Would the real breakout star of the situation have been Me, Michael Tarver?

What If...Vince Hadn't Been A loving Idiot About The Invasion?

To me this one might be the biggest yet. I know WWE says they thought the guaranteed contracts of guys like Goldberg, The nWo, et. al. were too much at the time, but you know a decision was botched when even WWE produced fluff pieces have started to openly talk about how badly the company hosed up that golden opportunity. I can all but promise you if the WWE HAD immediately brought in those stars and booked it even one scintilla like how fans would have fantasy booked it, they'd have made their money back tenfold. What dream matches would we have gotten? Goldberg/Austin at the height of their stardoms? Sting/Undertaker before it would just be sad? Ric Flair vs. HHH perhaps years before the days of Evolution? It's a truly wild thought experiment. What sort of ripple effects might it have had? Would WWE perhaps not have run off so many Attitude Era rabid fans? Would Sting have a WWE Championship run to speak of?

Those are just three I could initially think of. I'm sorry if this OP sucks or the topic isn't as intriguing to y'all as it is to me, but I hope this takes off because I think it could be fun! Post your own, weigh in on others, go hog wild! Just please don't be dicks. I like my threads to be happy places. :)

What say you all?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

I did a big fantasy booking alt-universe take on the Invasion in the old Fantasy Booking Thread, I'll see if I can dig that up.

Until then, one of the biggest What If's? in wrestling to me would be "What If Hogan had done the job clean to Sting at Starrcade 97?" 18 months of build thrown in the toilet trying to capitalize on Montreal and Hogan's ego led to Sting's run as Top Guy being aborted before it was truly born. What if it had gone differently? Paul Heyman said in the Monday Night Wars documentary that when Sting won the title WCW had something truly unique: a world champion who was a complete mystery. How could you capitalize on that intrigue? What was next for the New World Order now that their leaders had both been decisively vanquished? What could have been done differently with Bret, or Goldberg, or Dallas Page in a world where The Icon was allowed to truly run with the ball?

Another big one is also Sting Related: What If WWE had pushed Dolph Ziggler after Survivor Series 2014? It is well known that originally Roman Reigns was supposed to run roughshod over the main event of Team Cena vs Team Authority, but Roman was injured. In a bizarre twist, rather than change the booking of the match in any way, they kept the booking the exact same and slotted then-fan-favorite Dolph Ziggler into Roman's hero slot. And Dolph ran with it in what would prove to be one of the best performances of his career. Dolphs unexpected heroism blew the lid off the arena, fighting 1 on 3 against the Authority's biggest guns including young hotshot Seth Rollins and all of Triple H and Stephanie's power to cheat without consequences. The Show-Off was a world beater in that match, and after almost a decade of start-stop pushes the fans were hungry for it, even more so when he got the rub from Sting's WWE debut to secure the victory and send the Authority off TV, the come-uppance fans had waited for literal years to see for those dastardly heels. Shortly after that match ended Dolph was buried, in fact his role in the match wasn't even mentioned after that night. What if instead WWE had seen that reaction and for once in their lives struck while the iron was hot?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

What if... the Kurt/Steph/HHH love triangle had finished in ANY other way? Like, don't get me wrong, Kurt was being a huge dick going after Stephanie in any case etc but anything, absolutely anything, would have been better than the angle ending with Triple H just unceremoniously beating Kurt and then aggressively kissing Stephanie while covered in blood (from memory) then kind of stomping off up the ramp and... that was it? There were so many different ways they could have taken it that would have worked, not least of all which would have been Stephanie lambasting them both for treating her like a prize to be won, or Kurt being shown up for toying with her emotions in order to get a rise out of Triple H, or Triple H beating Kurt but ultimately losing because Steph took pity on Kurt etc.

BodyMassageMachine
Nov 24, 2006

:yeah:

What if...Kota Ibushi and/or Zack Sabre Jr. stuck around in WWE after the Cruiserweight Classic Tournament?

Before the obvious answer of “Cuck Angle #3452” or “One or two major title chances before jobber obscurity,” let’s think for a second. Both Ibushi and ZSJ were huge names going into the tournament, and if they had signed contracts it’s likely one of them would have won the whole thing, possibly against the other. Would that push have merited them both being the faces of 205Live instead of the cast of characters we ended up with? Moreover, does that possibly derail the Neville heel turn/creation of Bastard PAC? Would Ibushi have gotten a spot similar to Nakamura (major Japanese star w/ occasional title push)?

Part of me thinks they’d both do okay for a bit, particularly Ibushi (sadly, I think ZSJ would be relegated to the same creative-has-nothing-for-you hell that other technical wrestlers continuously find themselves in, but who knows?). FWIW both made the right call in not signing.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.
what if the steroid trial sent vince to prison

i dont actually know anything about wrestling in that period, someone else would have to jump in here

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.

Ad by Khad posted:

what if the steroid trial sent vince to prison

Supposedly he had Jerry Jarrett (I think?) lined up to take his place if that happened. I don’t know enough about Jerry to say what that would’ve meant for the company, nor do I know how long a prison sentence Vince might have faced, but I imagine 90s WWF would’ve ended up looking a lot more like
80s Memphis.

It’s also reeeeeeally interesting to think what implications that would have on Jeff’s career, the Monday night war, and the founding of TNA.

Cool thread Foochs!

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
What if Pillman doesn't get in the wreck?

If you watch his press conference introducing him, they had plans for him. Pillman at full health vs HBK. Pillman vs Bret. And so on.

What if Sting doesn't tear his ACL during his coronation vs Flair?

What if Magnum TA doesn't get in a car wreck

What if Hogan bails on the nWo heel turn

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

What if Vince McMahon went down in the steroid trial?

Evidently Vince McMahon was going to entrust the running of the company to Jerry Jarrett in the event that he went to prison for the steroid trials. Judging from Jerry's role in TNA 7 years later it might be fair to say that the results would not have been good; his ceiling was booking 80's territorial wrestling, not a national wrestling company as was evidenced in TNA. The possibility of WWE not weathering the storm of WCW and the rise of the nWo is certainly there, questioning whether Jerry would have been up to changing with the times towards the edgier product that was a byproduct of the cultural zeitgeist of the 90's (rather than sliding into it as it was waning) is quite valid. And if WWE didn't survive it's very likely that by the early 2000s WCW would be dead anyway due to its utterly incompetent business structure and Ted Turner being phased out as part of the Time Warner/AOL merger. Beyond that; depending on the timeframe involved Shawn definitely would have been signed to WCW, creating a political apocalypse between the clique and Hulk Hogan which would have been accelerant on the fire. ECW wasn't going to take the throne because even without his roster getting pillaged the product Heyman was putting out was not palatable to networks or advertisers. So it's fully possible that professional wrestling in the United States would be dead on the national level unless another David Khan came along and threw enough money into the industry to create something whole cloth. Which would have been possible; the talent was absolutely there.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

What if Hogan bails on the nWo heel turn

If it wasn't Hogan I think it was supposed to be Sting. A Sting led nWo very likely would have been successful for awhile but likely not successful enough to threaten WWE at the time (Unless Hogan squashed it like he did the Dungeon of Doom). Without an impetus to change it's possible that the "New Generation" would have persisted throughout the decade. It's also possible that Vince McMahon (his brain having not fully calcified at this point) would have had the wherewithal to change with the time, Austin's push and resultant popularity was largely independent of the rise of the nWo after all, and history would have gone on not terribly different then the history we're familiar with, it just wouldn't have been as memorable.

I'll add one to the pile
What if Owen Hart didn't break Steve Austin's neck?
Austin's run up top would have lasted much longer for starters. Also Austin would have been willing to work a main event program with Owen (unless he didn't think much of Owen for other reasons). If that happened it was less likely that Owen would have been shunted to the midcard and stuck with the Blue Blazer gimmick. Which meant he might have lived. Of course it's more likely Vince would have refused to push him anyway due to spite and Owen's fate would not change. After all, even with Austin unwilling to work a program with him Owen was still one of the WWE's best assets in a time they needed him most and he STILL got stuck in that stupid gimmick.

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Mar 23, 2020

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

If convicted, Vince probably would've been sent to a "Club Fed" style prison, so while Jarrett would've been handling the day-to-day, hands on stuff, I could totally see Vince calling everyday to "advise".

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

ChrisBTY posted:

What if Vince McMahon went down in the steroid trial?

Evidently Vince McMahon was going to entrust the running of the company to Jerry Jarrett in the event that he went to prison for the steroid trials. Judging from Jerry's role in TNA 7 years later it might be fair to say that the results would not have been good; his ceiling was booking 80's territorial wrestling, not a national wrestling company as was evidenced in TNA. The possibility of WWE not weathering the storm of WCW and the rise of the nWo is certainly there, questioning whether Jerry would have been up to changing with the times towards the edgier product that was a byproduct of the cultural zeitgeist of the 90's (rather than sliding into it as it was waning) is quite valid. And if WWE didn't survive it's very likely that by the early 2000s WCW would be dead anyway due to its utterly incompetent business structure and Ted Turner being phased out as part of the Time Warner/AOL merger. Beyond that; depending on the timeframe involved Shawn definitely would have been signed to WCW, creating a political apocalypse between the clique and Hulk Hogan which would have been accelerant on the fire. ECW wasn't going to take the throne because even without his roster getting pillaged the product Heyman was putting out was not palatable to networks or advertisers. So it's fully possible that professional wrestling in the United States would be dead on the national level unless another David Khan came along and threw enough money into the industry to create something whole cloth. Which would have been possible; the talent was absolutely there.

If WWF had collapsed during WCW's boom years of 97-98 and they had taken on-board the real powerhouse talent and more importantly the backstage people, could WCW have been saved? It is well known that WCW's death came down to three factors: management's inability to control prima donna talent, certain people business side wanting it to die because of personal distaste for the industry, and Russo's booking. Can any or all of those three be avoided with the influx of WWF's people? Could the sheer scale of business expansion to potential 6-8 point ratings have shut up dickhead executives who just wanted these carnies off their TV channel? Could people who had known and worked with Vince Russo have kept him in check, or depending on when WWF goes down could Vince Russo have never had main booking power? Could people with experience handling guys like Shawn and Hogan from the 80s and early 90s have had the key to reign them in so they could book a god drat wrestling show, or could the sheer number of top talents have given the Fed the leverage to FORCE Hogan to play ball or lose his spot?

EDIT: also keep in mind that one of the reasons ECW's product was unpalitable to national networks and advertisers was because of the talent pillaging forcing him into a more extreme direction. If WWF folds he might have been able to maintain the type of product he was putting on in 97-98 with the likes of Taz and the Dudleys, which was edgy but not totally incompatible with the mainstream, at least with some tweaking.

Sanguinia fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Mar 23, 2020

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Hogan's creative control was only half the problem with Hogan. The other half was Bischoff being fully crammed up his rear end making sure he never had to actually exercise it. Bischoff's creative vision being utterly myopic would have hamstrung their future since even in his book he wouldn't bullshit having ever been interested in pushing young talent to a main event level ('I pushed the old guys because the old guys were the draw' said Bischoff flat-out). Being that unprepared for the future would have really bitten them on the rear end no matter what.

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Mar 23, 2020

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

What if Inoki doesn't have Ogawa attack Hishimoto during the rubber match or feed Nagata to Cro-crop?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

SatoshiMiwa posted:

What if Inoki doesn't have Ogawa attack Hishimoto during the rubber match or feed Nagata to Cro-crop?

Along these lines: what if Akira Maeda "finishes" Andre the Giant off when he shoots on him?

(For those unaware, Maeda lit Andre up for not cooperating with leg kicks and brought him to his knees, then looked at a second to see if it was a good idea to finish him off, and got a no, I assume he was gonna headshot him)

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Magnum T.A.

Would've had a serious push in the NWA, perhaps winning the World title instead of Ronnie Garvin. But as the NWA preferred a heel champ, would've quickly dropped it back. Vince would then sign him to the WWF, where, at best, Magnum would get a brief run with the IC belt (perhaps being the one to end Honky's reign), but he would rise no farther than a mid-carder. He would then return to the NWA/WCW, but by now would be overshadowed by the likes of Luger, Sting, and the Steiners, and he would never get back on track, since the audience would now view him as "old school".

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Davros1 posted:

Magnum T.A.

Would've had a serious push in the NWA, perhaps winning the World title instead of Ronnie Garvin. But as the NWA preferred a heel champ, would've quickly dropped it back. Vince would then sign him to the WWF, where, at best, Magnum would get a brief run with the IC belt (perhaps being the one to end Honky's reign), but he would rise no farther than a mid-carder. He would then return to the NWA/WCW, but by now would be overshadowed by the likes of Luger, Sting, and the Steiners, and he would never get back on track, since the audience would now view him as "old school".

Imagine his gold watch run as Magnum TNA

mkay0
Nov 7, 2003

I crawled the earth, but now I'm higher
2010, watch it go to fire
Great thread idea, op

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
What if Brock Lesnar signs with NJPW instead of WWE?

WCW, WWE and New Japan were all after Brock in 2000. What if somehow New Japan wins the bidding?

Does Brock burn out on wrestling as quickly or at all?

How quickly is Brock sent to do MMA? Does he dominate with limited training and transition sooner? If he ever goes to UFC is he as big of a star without the WWE run?

What does WWE look like in 2002 with no Lesnar? Does Austin "take his ball and go home" or do they manage not to piss him off without a monster to get over?

The entire wrestling and MMA landscape could have changed if one guy makes a different decision.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Brock Lesnar vs. Bob Sapp in the main event of Wrestling World 2004 :stare:

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Jerusalem posted:

Brock Lesnar vs. Bob Sapp in the main event of Wrestling World 2004 :stare:

Does Nagata get sent out to die if they have Lesnar? Or do even more people get sent out to die when they think Lesnar means guys like Nagata can definitely do it too!

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

SamuraiFoochs posted:

What If...Vince Hadn't Been A loving Idiot About The Invasion?

To me this one might be the biggest yet. I know WWE says they thought the guaranteed contracts of guys like Goldberg, The nWo, et. al. were too much at the time, but you know a decision was botched when even WWE produced fluff pieces have started to openly talk about how badly the company hosed up that golden opportunity. I can all but promise you if the WWE HAD immediately brought in those stars and booked it even one scintilla like how fans would have fantasy booked it, they'd have made their money back tenfold. What dream matches would we have gotten? Goldberg/Austin at the height of their stardoms? Sting/Undertaker before it would just be sad? Ric Flair vs. HHH perhaps years before the days of Evolution? It's a truly wild thought experiment. What sort of ripple effects might it have had? Would WWE perhaps not have run off so many Attitude Era rabid fans? Would Sting have a WWE Championship run to speak of?

As promised I went back to the old Armchair Booking thread from 2017 and found the "What If," scenario I wrote out for an alternate Invasion. I share it here, for anyone so bored due to the plague that they're actually willing to read my wrestling fanfiction.

quote:

In the Year of Our Lord 2001, the midway point of Wrestlemania 17 sees the ultimate comeuppance for years of dirtbaggery from one Vince McMahon. His son, Shane, having stolen World Championship Wrestling from his father just hours beforehand, helps his mother revive from a catatonic state so she can boot Vince right in the jewels, and as Trish Stratus takes out the trash that is his sister, Shane places a some trash of his own against Vince's skull and delivers the Coast 2 Coast, securing a pinfall. The Boss has been humiliated. But the night is not over.

In the weeks prior, the World Championship match between #1 Contender Steve Austin and Champion The Rock has reached a fever pitch. Both men are faces, both are the most popular men in the sport, both are at the top of their game, and they will fight for the biggest prize in the industry. Austin has beaten The Rock before, but as the match wears on something is different. Despite using everything in his arsenal, The Rattlesnake seems unable to contain the Brahma Bull. As he grows more desperate, the match is intruded upon by... SHANE McMahon.

A red-hot babyface after his struggle against his father, the crowd in the Astrodome cheers as his entrance right off a Rock Bottom distracts Rock from securing a three-count! Austin seems to barely notice the interference, so single-minded is his focus on The Rock, but even a seemingly-decisive Stone-Cold Stunner can't put Rock away. Austin is at wits ends as Shane O'mac grabs a chair from ringside and offers it up to him. Austin takes a long, hard look at the weapon, takes it from Shane's hands... and clocks him with it, refusing the temptation to turn heel! He turns back to the downed Rock, flipping him a double bird and demanding he stand and fight... and Rock kips up, and signals Austin to JUST! BRING IT! There is one final blow-away sequence of counters, punches, and one last stunner sees Steve Austin once again crowned WWF Champion!

Uncharacteristically, Austin offers a hand to the fallen Rocky, and JR speculates that after all these years, perhaps these two ultimate rivals have finally found mutual respect... and then from below the canvas, Shane crawls to his feet with a mic: "For years, you've been kicking my dad's teeth down his throat Austin. I hoped that since we both hated his guts, things could be different between us. But if you're not with me... you're against me!"

The ring is rushed from several different directions... by WCW wrestlers! The exhausted Rock and Austin go back-to-back, swinging wildly at the likes of Buff Bagwell and Chris Kanyon, but can hold their ground only moments before they are overwhelmed. At the top of the ramp appear four figures, watching the carnage, and JR quickly identifies them: Diamond Dallas Page, master of the deadly Diamond Cutter, Ric Flair, pro-wrestling legend and former WWF Champion, current WCW United States Champion "Big Poppa Pump," Scott Steiner, and current WCW World Heavyweight Champion Booker T. As Austin and Rock are both beaten into unconsciousness, the WCW wrestlers help Shane McMahon into the ring, who takes the WWF Championship and spits on it before dumping it on Austin's body. He celebrates on the ramp with his, as JR puts it, "Four Horsemen of WWF's Apocalypse," before Mania goes off the air.

______

The Raw after Mania opens with Glass Shattering, as WWF Champion Steve Austin demands answers about Shane and WCW, and is immediately joined by The Rock, who wants the same. Vince has not been seen all day, leaving it to WWF Commissioner William Regal to assure the WWF staff and fans that the WCW contracted wrestlers acted of their own accord, and legal action against them IS underway. Austin says this isn't good enough, and demands the chance to settle things in the ring, but Regal says that WCW wrestlers don't work for him, and are not permitted to compete in WWF matches. This leads Rock to get a funny look on his face, and he asks Regal, "Hey... didn't YOU used to be a WCW wrestler?" He Rock Bottoms Regal, and Austin joins in with a Stunner, then swears to raise hell until he can stomp a mudhole in every single WCW sumbitch who jumped him, and that's the bottom line, cause Stone Cold Said So.

The cloud of WCW hangs over the rest of the opening hour, for heels and faces alike. Vignettes show The Big Show and IC Champ Chris Jericho facing anger and suspicion from their fellow superstars for being ex-WCW. The Radicalz seem to be in a near panic over possible retaliation from their former co-workers for jumping ship to WWF the prior year. Triple H corners X-pac and demands to know where "Scott and Kev," are in this whole mess, and he swears not to know a thing, leading Hunter to drop a veiled threat of coming for Pac if he even sees the tiniest glimpse of Black and White. One notable match in the first hour is a hardcore title wrestlemania rematch between Raven and Big Show(who won the belt in this version). After Show retains the belt, Raven cuts an in-ring promo, sitting down in the corner of the ring, and talks about how he was once in WCW, and cryptically says that now that WCW is here, he knows how WWF will end: in blood.

The second hour begins with Right to Censor coming out en-masse, with Stevie Richards ready to cut a promo... only to have the entire stable be decimated halfway down the ramp by Rock and Austin. They occupy the ring and demand WCW show themselves or Raw would not go forward. They drink beers, sing songs, and crush any jobber who tries to interrupt them, until they are interrupted by much bigger guns: Kane and The Undertaker, the Brothers of Destruction. The situation seems explosive... until the Deadman asks Stone Cold for a beer, and similarly demands WCW show their faces before Raw be allowed to continue! Linda finally appears on the Titantron, and says the Shane and WCW have agreed to appear in the ring tonight, in the Main Event slot, as long as no WWF wrestler interferes with their public statement.

Shane and his "Four Horsemen," appear at the end of the night, surrounded by a huge escort of private security, "reminiscent of another top WCW star's signature entrance." Shane, Flair, Booker, Steiner and DDP all get their say, basically explaining that last night was about nothing more than sending a message that WCW is the best and will rise again to television dominance under Shane's leadership. There is no conspiracy, former WCW wrestlers on the WWF roster are not waiting to turn on the company, and there is NO invasion. Flair goes out of his way to promise on his honor that these men are not "The Four Horsemen of WWF's Apocalypse," and he of all people would sure as hell know if they were. Once they're done, Austin, Rock and the Brothers hit the ramp, and make it clear that they don't give a drat whether there's an invasion or not, because for what they did last night there was drat sure going to be some BACKLASH!

The four WWF wrestlers then fight their way past the police line and hit the ring, brawling hard with WCW's four leaders... until the lights go black. There is silence until an eerie violin begins to play, and a spotlight shines on the rafters. Sting sits high above the arena, looking down on WWF for the first time. The lights go back up... and all four WCW men are armed with steel chairs, battering the four WWF men mercilessly, then hitting them with Diamond Cutters, Book Ends, Figure Fours and Steiner Recliners. The WWF Locker Room empties to try and back their side up, but the security have recovered and are holding them back en masse as Sting descends, baseball bat in hand.

The WCW stars dump their WWF competitors out of the ring... except for The Rock, who's ankles and wrists they tie up in all four steel chairs. "You know how I said there was no Four Horsemen here to kill WWF, Rocky? That's because THE STINGER! MAKES! FIVE! WOOOOOOO!" Sting then gives a silent command, and his companions Pillmanize all four of Rock's trapped limbs, crucifying The People's Champion. Raw goes off the air with Sting's music blaring.

-----

Over the next three months to the InVasion Pay Per View, tension builds as WCW's wrestlers continually interfere with day by day affairs. Lower card WCW wrestlers hang around arenas, jumping wrestlers outside and vandalizing trucks and rental cars. The Big 5 and Shane continue to hold press conferences about WCW's immanent relaunch and promises to kill WWF like Ted Turner never could, which "journalistic integrity," demands JR and the rest of the broadcast crew show the audience despite their distaste.

With The Rock injured and Mr. McMahon still MIA, Backlash focuses on the theme of mistrust in the locker room, with The Brothers feuding with The Radicalz and IC Champ Kurt Angle feuding with Jericho, showing both the heel and face side of distrust of Ex-WCW Wrestlers. Austin handles a challenge from Triple H, who beat him in 3 Stages Of Hell right before Wrestlemania. Triple H's fromes the bout as the match to determine which man is the right man to lead WWF when war with WCW comes to their shores, and Austin proves he is that man by retaining his title.

____

Judgment Day builds up with Sting reappearing, silently costing Austin a pinfall to Kurt Angle when he appears watching from the rafters as a distraction, triggering a Champ vs Champ match. Angle crusades against "the invaders within," targeting Austin for being a former WCW wrestler himself and swearing to keep the WWF Championship safe in the hands of an olympic hero, instead of the clutches of a potential traitor. The WCW Top Guys appear in the front row the following week, and Austin immediately jumps them, causing him to be slapped with a restraining order which will cause him to forfeit the title to Angle if he lays a hand on any WCW wrestler. The following week Sting drops from the rafters and deliver his famous "test," by handing Austin a baseball bat and turning his back to him. Austin tears around the ring, slamming the bat into every object he can find in his frustration... but does not strike Sting.

Elsewhere on the card, Raven has been skulking around the locker room since Mania, having secret meetings with certain Superstars: Rhyno, Perry Saturn, Tazz and Justin Credible all find their way into dark corners with Raven, and find themselves winning matches after talking to him. Taker and Kane want to know what he's up to, and both challenge him to matches hoping to beat the info out of him... but in both matches he sits down in a corner and demands the ref 10-count him out before walking away. Raven finally agrees he will reveal what he knows... but only if Taker and Kane can win the Tag Team Championships from the Dudley Boyz in a Tables match. The match is brutal as Raven observes at ringside, but the Dudleys eke out an unexpected victory against the odds by using Kane's own strength against him, countering an over-strength Last Ride Powerbomb that throws D-Von PAST the set-up table into a surprise 3-D. Raven leaves Taker to tend to his brother without saying a word.

Chris Jericho and Triple H recover some momentum in a series of tag match victories at the suggestion of Mick Foley, and as they work together they lay out their mutual distaste for WCW. Backstage segments explore the many reasons Jericho jumped ship at WCW's peak, talking about how he really believed in WWF and what he could make of himself here, while Triple H brings up how he wrestled a single match there as "Terra Ryzing," before realizing anyone who would work there willingly was poison for the business he loves, including his best friends. This lays the groundwork for what is to come.

____

The King of the Ring build sees the cold war heat up. Austin participates in the tournament rather than defend his title this month, which causes the biggest names in the company see the opportunity to secure a future title shot by beating him. Meanwhile, in the undercard, Raven's friends quietly secure the European, Light-Heavyweight and Hardcore Championships, while Raven himself joins in the KOTR tournament despite the steep competition. The Undertaker and Kane, still desperate to find out what Raven knows about WCW's plans, are given a new opportunity to learn what he knows: capture the Tag Titles in a four-way TLC Match against the Dudleys, Hardys AND Edge and Christian. Only Michael Cole questions WHY the Dudleys would accept that match at Raven's request, and he is quickly silenced.

The Tournament Top 8 on the go-home Raw sees Triple H, Austin, Jericho and Angle pitted against Eddie Guerrero, Chris Benoit, Rhyno and Raven in what seems like an insanely lopsided bracket, matched up by random draw. Austin beats Eddie, but is nearly knocked out of the running when Sting again distracts him by watching from the rafters. Triple H beats Benoit, but only barely after being taken to the absolute limit through pure wrestling skill. Rhyno beats Angle in a huge upset thanks to Ric Flair and the rest of the WCW crew taking Front Row seats for the match, distracting the pro-WWF zealot long enough for a HUGE Gore.

By process of elimination, the oddball Main Event is Jericho vs Raven. Jericho tries to wrestle despite open heckling and a few tense confrontations with the WCW guys still in the front row, but when the referee takes a bump its utter bedlam as WCW's crew jumps the guardrail! They attack Jericho like a pack of wolves, and security, Austin, Triple H and the Brothers of Destruction storm out in force to stop them. The brawl is massive, and WCW quickly retreat, the Main Eventers chasing them out of the arena... but there is still a match in the ring, and Raven, who has sat quietly in his corner through all of this, picks up the mess that is Jericho and hits the Raven Effect DDT. The ref reluctantly counts 3, ending the night with Raven advancing to the Semi-finals. The titantron cuts to the WCW guys piling into a limo and escaping Austin and Co.

____

KOTR itself is tense. Austin faces Triple H in a war of a semi-final, and Raven faces Rhyno... and defeats him in mere seconds when he sits in his corner, goads Rhyno into Goreing him, and dodges out of the way, rolling his opponent up off a possible dislocated shoulder. The Brothers of Destruction finally secure the Tag Titles in TLC, and confront Raven backstage. He primses them he will expose WCW's plans before the night is over.

After a few more undercard matches (all title retention by Raven's friends Cole notes) and a Fatal 4way between Kurt Angle, Jericho, Benoit and Eddie where Jericho regains the IC title, the bizarre Main Event of Raven vs Austin for the King of the Ring crown is on... and when the bell rings Raven sits in his corner. WCW's entire locker room begins streaming into the arena, the top guys each leading a pack of men. Security gets shitcanned as they surround the ring like lumberjacks. Austin tries to look in every direction at once until Sting rises from a trap-door built into the entrance ramp.

Austin rolls out and gets right in Sting's face, telling him that this is the night they settle things and he'd fight the whole drat WCW locker room alone if he had to... while Raven instructs the referee to start the 10 Count. He does so, and Jim Ross wonders what the hell the official could be thinking 10-counting under these circumstances... until he recognizes former WCW referee Nick Patrick, hired just a few weeks before the company went out of business. The WCW army forms up between Austin and the Ring, and the Rattlesnake charges into them like a freight train, throwing men out of his way, desperately clawing for the apron.... but can't even lay a finger on the ring before the referee hits 10. He orders the bell rung, and on the Titantron the smirking face of Shane McMahon appears: "Ladies and Gentlemen, your new WWF King of the Ring: World Championship Wrestling's Raven!"

____

The following night Vince returns, and declares open war over this outrage. He FIIIIIIIRES Raven and Patrick, and unifies the WWF locker room behind Austin in a huge face turn, setting up the InVasion Pay Per View. WCW agrees to the interpromotional contest on one condition: Austin will put the WWF Championship on the line against Sting. Steiner faces Kane, Jericho faces DDP, Triple H squares off with Booker T, and Ric Flair personally requests to face The Undertaker. Booker and Steiner cheat to pull out victories in otherwise close contests. Flair loses to Taker but makes it a Pyrrhic victory by stress-fracturing the Deadman's hand. Sting and Austin's bout sees the unthinkable come true: Shane McMahon helps his biggest gun screw Austin, and they walk out with the World Title under WCW control.

The second half of the storyline sees Shane leverage his control of the WWF Championship with the Board, going over Vince's head to secure concessions. All WCW wrestlers are contracted with WWF. Raven is rehired and rewarded for his part by the resurrection of ECW and the hiring of Paul Heyman. Raven reveals that all his ex-ECW friends (including Rhyno, who was always in his pocket during the tournament) were in on the scame with him, all to see the Tribe of Extreme risen and Paul E back in the halls of power. Tommy Dreamer, Rob Van Dam and Sandman join their ranks.

Taker and Kane fight off a horde of Tag Team Challengers to keep the titles in WWF hands. Jericho is similarly targeted by the ECW faction looking to secure the IC belt. Triple H feuds with Sting, nearly reclaiming the belt, but is ironically betrayed by WWF Zealot Kurt Angle, who joins the Alliance when he sees where the wind is blowing. Austin also fails in his rematch against Stingm, and all hope seems lost until Survivor Series approaches... and FINALLY, The Rock Comes Back.

The Rock faces Sting in the Main Event, as Jericho and Raven settle the IC title, and Teams from ECW and WCW each take on groups of WWF wrestlers with every eliminated man being fired. WWF emerges mostly victorious, including reclaiming the Main Belt, but WCW is far from vanquished as Booker and Steiner retain the WCW and US titles and the elite core of the Alliance manages to survive their matches. However, the scale of the setback leads Shane to an act of desperation: he brings the New World Order, Hogan, Hall and Nash back to WWF. The build to Mania 18 centers around Icon vs Icon for the title, and the efforts of Our Heroes to stop a Lethal Dose of Poison before it reaches WWF's heart.

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

What if Tony Schiavone got promoted to Executive Producer of WCW in 1993 instead of Eric Bischoff?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

MassRafTer posted:

WCW, WWE and New Japan were all after Brock in 2000. What if somehow New Japan wins the bidding?

How quickly is Brock sent to do MMA? Does he dominate with limited training and transition sooner? If he ever goes to UFC is he as big of a star without the WWE run?

What does WWE look like in 2002 with no Lesnar? Does Austin "take his ball and go home" or do they manage not to piss him off without a monster to get over?

The entire wrestling and MMA landscape could have changed if one guy makes a different decision.

Wait, no, I want the world where WCW gets him.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Endless Mike posted:

Wait, no, I want the world where WCW gets him.

WCW spends a bunch of money on him, dies, then WWE picks him up once the guaranteed money is gone.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

WCW 2000 with Brock? loving incredible to imagine.

...or no, wait... that means that Brock is part of the WCW Invasion! :O

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:
What if Seth Rollings didn't almost kill Sting? Would he have ever won a WWE match?!

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

MassRafTer posted:

Young Brock vs CroCrop would be a fascinating fight as Brock would either completely out wrestle him or lose as quick as Nagata did and I'm not sure which would be more likely

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
What if... Genichiro Tenryu doesn't leave AJPW in 1990 to form SWS?

What if... Art Barr had not died prematurely?

Mere weeks after his landmark Hair vs. Mask tag match with Eddie Guerrero against El Hijo del Santo & Octagón, Art Barr was found dead in his home in November 1994. Eddie regarded Barr as a peer & mentor, and his absence was no doubt one of the more potent destabilizing factors of his life. With more time under Barr's tutelage, could Eddie have overcome enough of his self-confidence issues and demons that it all could've turned out differently, especially in regards to one Chris Benoit? Or, since Barr was a rapist on the lam and died of a probable drug overdose, would his presence would only serve to hasten Eddie's demise?

What if... Kazuchika Okada received a stronger push while on excursion in TNA?

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Coaaab posted:

I wonder if wrestling fans even remember that there was a Green Hornet movie out when they did the Okada thing

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Coaaab posted:

It was an excursion and Okada was still a young boy. He might have had some really good matches and then Okada goes back to Japan and does Okada things. TNA would only have been able to capitalize so much even if they were on the ball.
Alternately: Okada never bonds with the Bucks which prevents Bullet Club, The Elite and AEW from ever forming.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

ChrisBTY posted:

It was an excursion and Okada was still a young boy. He might have had some really good matches and then Okada goes back to Japan and does Okada things. TNA would only have been able to capitalize so much even if they were on the ball.
Alternately: Okada never bonds with the Bucks which prevents Bullet Club, The Elite and AEW from ever forming.

This is the dumbest excuse. You can do a lot of cool things with a wrestler in over a year. Especially when you are told by their promotion that they are planning big things for this person and want him treated well. The freaking Dragon Lee/Hiromu feud got hot while Hiromu was on excursion. TNA buried a guy for no reason and now 10 years later New Japan still hates their guts and will never work with them even under new ownership in part because of that.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Hirez posted:

What if Seth Rollings didn't almost kill Sting? Would he have ever won a WWE match?!

I wonder if we would have gotten that Undertaker-Sting match.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
So when WWE re-split the brands in 2016, they went on a signing spree, bringing in a ton of new talent in as well as bringing some old talent back to bolster the rosters a bit. This includes Jinder Mahal, who, outside of a funny (and simultaneously sad) bit with former 3MB partner Heath Slater on his first night back and a few meaningless wins on Superstars and Main Event, loses pretty much every match he has for the next 6 months. WWE, shortly after Wrestlemania 33, decide there are some plentiful overseas markets they could be tapping into and decide to focus on India first. Their big strategy for doing so? Spend the next several months building an Indian champion! The problem? They don't really have any Indian wrestlers! Proven draw Great Khali has at this point retired, the Singh Brothers are a cruiserweight tag team act and never going to be much more than that in WWE, AoP's Akam is, similarly, a tag team guy, and currently in NXT. They have a couple of performance center trainees but nobody with any real name value. But wait! We have (Canadian citizen) Jinder! Who then proceeds to inexplicably win a 6-way #1 Contender's match on Smackdown and get 3 weeks of TV wins in a row against guys he really shouldn't be beating for where he was a month and a half ago. Jinder then goes 8-2 in televised singles matches (with 1 loss being by DQ) before mercifully dropping the title to AJ, in what would end up being Jinder's best match as champion (and probably in general?) on a UK tour episode of Smackdown 2 weeks before Survivor Series. This is in order to avoid the much dreaded (or anticipated, depending on how into schadenfreude you were) scenario of the Champion vs Champion match being Brock vs Jinder. Jinder's title reign is dropped before they make it to the India tour, which got pared down to a single date due to low ticket sales, Jinder's match was losing to Triple H in the main event, and outside of some house show rematches with AJ and the occasional mention on commentary, Jinder's reign is promptly forgotten.

My question is:

What if WWE took its time with the Jinder push?

What if they spent the summer building Jinder up as a legitimate contender, and had the India tour headlined by him challenging for the WWE title instead of hot-shotting the belt onto him and figuring out how to make it work later? What if they tried to make him a face, which you'd think would make for a better draw since the people you're trying to market to aren't being told their "representative" in your company is a cheating coward? Give him the Becky Lynch 2018 treatment, where he just racks up a series of modest wins over increasingly credible opponents, maybe stick him with a manager (except those don't exist anymore) so they can do the talking for him, since he's pretty so-so at it. Give him some kind of actual accomplishments and momentum before you throw your title with 50 years of history and prestige randomly on the first bearded brown guy who walks by your office.

Would fans reject this? Would they see the writing on the wall as plainly as they did with Roman? Would a slow build even work for someone like Jinder, who most people already know isn't a good wrestler? There was a pretty sizable contingent of people at the time who were ironically rooting for Jinder because it was "funny" to have such a massive jobber as world champion out of nowhere (and because Randy as champ again was boring), though the sentiment of actively hoping for WWE to repeatedly shoot itself in the foot was definitely not as strong 3 years ago as it is right now.

My prevailing theory is that if they tried to do it this way then Vince would've gotten bored with it/realized what a bad idea it was by the time the India tour rolled around and either dumped Jinder from title contention completely or just have him lose the match and not ever have been champion.

TriffTshngo fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Mar 24, 2020

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Jinder was bad but I personally saw him getting one of the largest reactions on a Smackdown here in Toronto due to a huge Indo-Canadian crowd in attendance, and that wasn't ironic cheering. That's something WWE could have definitely capitalized on. I really like the idea of having him chase the title on the India tour.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

MassRafTer posted:

This is the dumbest excuse. You can do a lot of cool things with a wrestler in over a year. Especially when you are told by their promotion that they are planning big things for this person and want him treated well. The freaking Dragon Lee/Hiromu feud got hot while Hiromu was on excursion. TNA buried a guy for no reason and now 10 years later New Japan still hates their guts and will never work with them even under new ownership in part because of that.

Hell ROH didn't roll out the red carpet for Takaaki Watanabe, but they didn't treat him with utter disrespect like TNA did with Okada either.

And now, everything is EVIL.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

MassRafTer posted:

wwf in 2002 likely is a whole lot of Undertaker and probably Shawn Michaels carrying the promotion. Smackdown is a completely different beast entirely because without Paul Heyman's creative input while he was managing Brock for the first six months of the year, who knows if he even gets the ball to book SmackDown at that point in time. No way of knowing how this ends up. Maybe it just lands in Bruce Prichards hands. This likely means no Smackdown Six, Cena slips through the cracks and is cut over being too green, Vince doesn't get spooked with the threat of "We're gonna build them up as these huge superstars then they just LEAVE!?" complex he got after Rock and Brock left in quick succession and we maybe dont get as hardcore of a "push the brand not the wrestlers" modus operandi they work with, there are probably crazy long term ramifications from this butterfly effect.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage

Coaaab posted:

It's interesting to wonder if maybe NJPW would never have gotten cozy with ROH if this happened

TNA making GBS threads on Okada and ruining a Wrestle Kingdom resulted in a grudge that still exists to this day

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Ad by Khad posted:

It's interesting to wonder if maybe NJPW would never have gotten cozy with ROH if this happened

TNA making GBS threads on Okada and ruining a Wrestle Kingdom resulted in a grudge that still exists to this day

njpw was already one foot out the door with that relationship as it is, the treatment of No Limit, throwing Tanahashi and Nakamura on Xplosion when they were flown over for dates, doing IWGP title switches without permission

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage

Yea you're right, the IWGP tag title stuff was pretty gigantically boneheaded

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

ChrisBTY posted:

My thinking is that Okada plays a longer game and, thinking he can get over in America, makes an attempt at a WWE run and possibly vouching for the Bucks while there. The New Japan maint event scene would then be beholden to Tanahashi/Nakamura with Suzuki, Bullet Club uppercarders, and Goto(?!) being viable IWGP contenders with Stardust Naito waiting in the wings to challenge for Tanahashi's ace role. Undecided as to whether Devitt would go along with Okada to WWE or, sensing a power vacuum, would hope for an even bigger main event push (essentially Switchblade-level).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos

Ad by Khad posted:

TNA (...) ruining a Wrestle Kingdom

Wasn't the Naito-Hardy match so bad it derailed Naito's push?