Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

MassRafTer posted:

This is the dumbest excuse. You can do a lot of cool things with a wrestler in over a year. Especially when you are told by their promotion that they are planning big things for this person and want him treated well. The freaking Dragon Lee/Hiromu feud got hot while Hiromu was on excursion. TNA buried a guy for no reason and now 10 years later New Japan still hates their guts and will never work with them even under new ownership in part because of that.

Who was excusing them? It was stupid as helland they should be ashamed. My point was that ultimately Okada's push or lack thereof in TNA was historically insignificant. Or actually a good thing if you consider the bond between Okada and the Bucks to be one of the seeds that AEW grew from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

ChrisBTY posted:

Who was excusing them? It was stupid as helland they should be ashamed. My point was that ultimately Okada's push or lack thereof in TNA was historically insignificant. Or actually a good thing if you consider the bond between Okada and the Bucks to be one of the seeds that AEW grew from.

New Japan still hates TNA to this day and will not work with them. They let themselves get kicked off of AXS because they hate them so much. It is not entirely part of Okada, but that sure is the reason they still hate them.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

You could run a legitimately endless thread just on the concept of "what if TNA was competently run?"

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

DJExile posted:

You could run a legitimately endless thread just on the concept of "what if TNA was competently run?"

Their business model was so bad I'm not sure there would be a TNA if the people behind it were competent.
"Hmmmmm, an underfunded company featuring a bunch of people nobody has ever heard up propped up with the all the detritus of a dead company that Vince McMahon didn't want. Also we will charge for every episode of television. This sounds like something to invest money in."

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

What if J-E-F-F Jarrett wasn't G-O-O-N-N-E-E from the WWF before Mania 17?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50KqJrpykQI

So this was one of the smartest decisions Vince McMahon has ever made, because, as the above discussion on TNA's incompetence shows, Jeff Jarrett's lack of favour with Vince led directly to IWGP Heavyweight Champion Kazuchika Okada in 2012. However, what if, for some ungodly reason, Vince actually hired the fucker back into the company, maybe as a central part of the Invasion?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Venomous posted:

So this was one of the smartest decisions Vince McMahon has ever made, because, as the above discussion on TNA's incompetence shows, Jeff Jarrett's lack of favour with Vince led directly to IWGP Heavyweight Champion Kazuchika Okada in 2012. However, what if, for some ungodly reason, Vince actually hired the fucker back into the company, maybe as a central part of the Invasion?

Isn't Jarrett back in as a producer now?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

El Gallinero Gros posted:

he is, yeah

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:
wasn't he in the rumble, or in some Elias guitar smash gimmick recently or was I hallucinating it

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Hirez posted:

wasn't he in the rumble, or in some Elias guitar smash gimmick recently or was I hallucinating it

He was indeed.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

well, he ain't dead and he ain't JARRETT

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

What would New Japan's 2015 have looked like if Kazuchika Okada had defeated Hiroshi Tanahashi for the IWGP Heavyweight Championship at Wrestle Kingdom 9?

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

El Gallinero Gros posted:

gently caress

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

What if the WWE had signed Hiroshi Tanahashi instead of his partner, Kenzo Suzuki?

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos

Alaois posted:

What if the WWE had signed Hiroshi Tanahashi instead of his partner, Kenzo Suzuki?

Tana would've gone the exact same path Kenzo went in WWE.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

I guess what I'm trying to say with the above post is:

What if TNA never happened?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Venomous posted:

I guess what I'm trying to say with the above post is:

What if TNA never happened?

We would have been denied some of the greatest unintentional comedy this carnie industry has ever fuckin seen.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Max Coveri posted:

Tana would've gone the exact same path Kenzo went in WWE.

well yeah obviously, but what does it mean for New Japan?

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

DJExile posted:

We would have been denied some of the greatest unintentional comedy this carnie industry has ever fuckin seen.
Well for starters, there'd certainly be less meme-able Steiner promos to choose from

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

super macho dude posted:

What if Tony Schiavone got promoted to Executive Producer of WCW in 1993 instead of Eric Bischoff?

I was ruminating on this at work today and was trying to parse out if this would mean that Hogan never gets signed to WCW, because theres two conflicting stories about how he got signed. One is iirc that Flair told Bischoff to convince Hogan to sign and the other is that it was Flair being asked by Bischoff to talk to Hogan(?). If it was Flair's idea to get Hogan into the company, then I can see Schiavone going for it since he and Flair were good friends, but I'm not sure if Schiavone would come up with the idea on his own.

Which begs another what if: Without Hogan, does WCW die an even earlier death?

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Alaois posted:

well yeah obviously, but what does it mean for New Japan?

I assume they commit to Nakamura as the ace and chug along OK, though I don't know if the Bushiroad purchase happens without Tana significantly moving business.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

super macho dude posted:

I was ruminating on this at work today and was trying to parse out if this would mean that Hogan never gets signed to WCW, because theres two conflicting stories about how he got signed. One is iirc that Flair told Bischoff to convince Hogan to sign and the other is that it was Flair being asked by Bischoff to talk to Hogan(?). If it was Flair's idea to get Hogan into the company, then I can see Schiavone going for it since he and Flair were good friends, but I'm not sure if Schiavone would come up with the idea on his own.

Hogan didn't help WCW turn a profit just by showing up, the company was still loosing money until 97. It took the NWO/Sting angle and then Goldberg to accomplish that. I think the question is if the NWO angle would have been what it was without Hogan as the Third Man.

Part of me wants to believe that Macho Man could have filled Hogan's shoes in the NWO, although one can't dismiss the fact that Hogan had never been anything but the World's Greatest Hero was a big factor in him being the third man working. That's probably the biggest reason why Sting was their second choice.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Venomous posted:

Double J was probably at an appropriate level in the WWF as a midcard guy who could talk, and while he's not a standout he'd have been a solid hand to have around. He probably would have floated in or around the midcard through the Invasion (obviously Austin wouldn't have been too pleased to be working with him), possibly lost in the shuffle, and eventually released but probably on better terms in the mid-2000s.

And since I mentioned Austin, what if he ended up as Ice Dagger Steve Austin or Chilly McFreeze or one of those poo poo names offered to him? Would the WWF have survived long enough to get to the Attitude Era?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Sanguinia posted:

Hogan didn't help WCW turn a profit just by showing up, the company was still loosing money until 97. It took the NWO/Sting angle and then Goldberg to accomplish that. I think the question is if the NWO angle would have been what it was without Hogan as the Third Man.

Part of me wants to believe that Macho Man could have filled Hogan's shoes in the NWO, although one can't dismiss the fact that Hogan had never been anything but the World's Greatest Hero was a big factor in him being the third man working. That's probably the biggest reason why Sting was their second choice.

WCW turned a marginal profit in 1995 and real profits in 1996. While Hogan did not help the house shows or even really ratings early on he helped the buyrates a ton.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Didn't hogan have a weird period of proto-hollywood tweener before briefly returning to his old ways strictly to make his turn seem more shocking? there was something like that but i didn't watch wcw back then besides tapes so i don't have a memory of the real timeline of things

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Cavauro posted:

Didn't hogan have a weird period of proto-hollywood tweener before briefly returning to his old ways strictly to make his turn seem more shocking? there was something like that but i didn't watch wcw back then besides tapes so i don't have a memory of the real timeline of things

Darkside Hogan in fall of 95, I believe he was burning the Darkside Hogan clothes when he also lit the Observer on fire.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

ah poo poo

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

super macho dude posted:

Nah, if WCW doesn't make the play for Hogan I don't think they end up deciding to spend all that money on talent. Instead they probably just chug along probably not making a profit but also not losing enough to get cancelled from TBS as the ratings would probably still be good

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

What if Chris Hero hadn't been replaced by Roman as the third man in The Shield?

I don't know enough about Hero to have an opinion but I'd like to hear thoughts.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

TheKingslayer posted:

What if Chris Hero hadn't been replaced by Roman as the third man in The Shield?

I don't know enough about Hero to have an opinion but I'd like to hear thoughts.

Would he have been called Kassius Ohno (which is a terrible name), or would he have been "Chris Hero?"

IronCladBurrito
Aug 11, 2002

Excuse me, is this where the bitches are found?

TheKingslayer posted:

The shield tanks early when Hero gets out of shape.

Also see:
Neidhart, "Fattie"
James, "Piggie"

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

What if WWE2K doesn't exist?

- No HOF for Warrior or Warrior Award (maybe he doesn't even die lol, I can't imagine Warrior in a post- Trump world)

- No Sting in WWE

- No second and I guess third WWE run for Goldberg

Anything else? I feel like one of Brock's returns was brought on by the game but I'm probably misremembering.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

TheKingslayer posted:

It wouldn't have been as good. Say what you want about Roman but he was absolutely perfect in that role and Hero is so different.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
Also wouldn't a Chris Hero The Shield just be a lower card group since there is no one in it the company wants to get over?

Dr. Ass
Apr 21, 2008

Coming off of the most recent Dark Side of the ring, what if Eddie Guerrero were still alive?

He'd have been an integral part of the ECW reboot, Vickie may have never been an onscreen figure in WWE, Rey Mysterio may still have never been a world champion, and most importantly, Chris, Nancy, and Daniel Benoit would very likely still be alive as well.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Dr. rear end posted:

Coming off of the most recent Dark Side of the ring, what if Eddie Guerrero were still alive?

He'd have been an integral part of the ECW reboot, Vickie may have never been an onscreen figure in WWE, Rey Mysterio may still have never been a world champion, and most importantly, Chris, Nancy, and Daniel Benoit would very likely still be alive as well.

His body was falling apart so I don't think there's a chance he'd have been on ECW. Hopefully they'd give him a reduced schedule.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Sanguinia posted:

I've read that another rumour was that it would be Bret. How would the nwo angle have gone with Bret in the place of Hogan?

Dr. rear end posted:

Eddie was pretty banged up and doing fuckloads of roids, right? Also, I imagine the Benoit murder-suicide would probably still have happened, but maybe at a later date considering how hosed up his brain apparently was.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Vagabundo posted:

Eddie was pretty banged up and doing fuckloads of roids, right? Also, I imagine the Benoit murder-suicide would probably still have happened, but maybe at a later date considering how hosed up his brain apparently was.
I think the best you could hope for Benoit at that point was him just dying from his preexisting heart condition

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

karmicknight posted:

Also wouldn't a Chris Hero The Shield just be a lower card group since there is no one in it the company wants to get over?

Chris Hero Shield would have jobbed out in under a month

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Hero Shield is DOA the moment Vince takes a look at his body. Putting Roman in that spot was the right call.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

SamuraiFoochs posted:

It wouldn't have been as good. Say what you want about Roman but he was absolutely perfect in that role and Hero is so different.

Yeah but at least we might have had an outside chance if Hero getting a main roster match.

Though the biggest outcome would be a chance is otherworldly quality 2nd run on the indies doesn't happen which'd suck.