Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
What if Macklemore ended The undertakers streak at WrestleMania?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bartok
May 10, 2006

Vagabundo posted:

I'd imagine they might try putting the world title on an actor from a film like Scream though. Dunno how that would work out. Can you imagine? Jamie Kennedy: WWF Champion.

I would have went with Skeet Ulrich.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

What if Paul Heyman knew how to manage money?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

bartok posted:

I would have went with Skeet Ulrich.

That jobber only lasted one movie.

IronCladBurrito
Aug 11, 2002

Excuse me, is this where the bitches are found?

sportsgenius86 posted:

Vince would never have bought ECW, and ECW would have just died a natural death about 3 years later than it did. Probably after a failed cross-promotional shenanigan with the NWA-TNA Weekly PPVs.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

i'll ask this again as I've always had a fascination with that cursed family: what if David Von Erich lived longer? Yeah, yeah, that entire family was cursed and all that, but David was seen as the best of all the Von Erich brothers. Considering that World Class' was regarded as having the best television product of the late territory days (more cameras especially more hand-held cameras, better sound and graphics, etc.) and around that time had a drat good roster absorbing a lot of Houston and Mid-South talent like the Freebirds, Gino Hernandez, the Midnight Express and so forth, could World Class have been a potential third or fourth force against Gagne, McMahon and Crockett during the '80s if David didn't die so young and thus put more pressure on Kerry?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

sportsgenius86 posted:

ECW goes out of business a few years earlier.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

What if Vince Russo and Ed Ferrara don't jump to WCW in 1999? I assume that Kevin Sullivan just replaces Nash as booker even sooner, but does WCWs spending continue to spiral out of control? Do they ever find a way to level off and stop the ratings from plummeting and their PPV buys from vanishing? Do they find a way to rehab Goldberg and Bret Hart?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

OFFICER LIGER posted:

What if Vince Russo and Ed Ferrara don't jump to WCW in 1999? I assume that Kevin Sullivan just replaces Nash as booker even sooner, but does WCWs spending continue to spiral out of control? Do they ever find a way to level off and stop the ratings from plummeting and their PPV buys from vanishing? Do they find a way to rehab Goldberg and Bret Hart?

They may have lasted a bit longer but I think raw was pretty handily winning almost every ratings matchup by late 1998 and Eric Bishoff was throwing literally everything he could at stunts for TV ratings. All the celebrity appearances, all the silly concerts and car crashes, and the honestly amazing refusal to try to capitalize on the occasional mainstream media coverage they would get from like Jay Leno and others.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

How Bischoff just completely collapsed after he started losing in ratings is kinda crazy.

IronCladBurrito
Aug 11, 2002

Excuse me, is this where the bitches are found?

Troy Queef posted:

i'll ask this again as I've always had a fascination with that cursed family: what if David Von Erich lived longer? Yeah, yeah, that entire family was cursed and all that, but David was seen as the best of all the Von Erich brothers. Considering that World Class' was regarded as having the best television product of the late territory days (more cameras especially more hand-held cameras, better sound and graphics, etc.) and around that time had a drat good roster absorbing a lot of Houston and Mid-South talent like the Freebirds, Gino Hernandez, the Midnight Express and so forth, could World Class have been a potential third or fourth force against Gagne, McMahon and Crockett during the '80s if David didn't die so young and thus put more pressure on Kerry?

I pondered it the last time you posted it, and all I can come up with was David gets a run with the NWA title (which I think was slated to happen), for longer than Kerry had it. Maybe fewer Von Erichs die in the 90s, too?

WCCW wouldn't get elevated, though.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

What if Owen had gotten that promo right, instead of "I kicked your leg out of your leg?" Or more accurately, what if Owen had beaten Bret for the title during 1994, and should he have?

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Apr 15, 2020

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Most of the better what ifs have already been asked so I'll go with one near and dear to my heart, What if Buff Bagwell hadn't been fired after one match in the WWE?

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

overmind2000 posted:

Most of the better what ifs have already been asked so I'll go with one near and dear to my heart, What if Buff Bagwell hadn't been fired after one match in the WWE?

He'd have married Stephanie.

WWE would have been renamed BWF

it would have been very popular

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
He wouldn't have lasted long either way because he was burning every bridge in the locker room by that point

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Benne posted:

He wouldn't have lasted long either way because he was burning every bridge in the locker room by that point

and reportedly he had Judy Bagwell calling Titan Towers a lot to complain about how her son's treatment

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

the best thing that Buff Bagwell was ever involved with was the American Males theme
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7awnRAdbPk

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Venomous posted:

the best thing that Buff Bagwell was ever involved with was the American Males theme

Should've kept that theme song. He'd have been a multi-time world champion.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Buff had good matches in WCW, especially before he broke his neck.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Venomous posted:

The best version of the song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiXZtgIhrq4

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Randaconda posted:

Buff had good matches in WCW, especially before he broke his neck.

I mean maybe a couple? I think Buff was a tremendous personality that never really got to show what he could do but he was a pretty boring wrestler.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MassRafTer posted:

I mean maybe a couple? I think Buff was a tremendous personality that never really got to show what he could do but he was a pretty boring wrestler.

Eh, he was fine.

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos
What if Paul Heyman had joined TNA in 2010 as rumoured?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Max Coveri posted:

There would have been a serious bloodletting. Heyman wanted any wrestler over... i think it was age 40 to either be fired or kicked down the card immediately, and i'm sure he'd have tossed Russo in a heartbeat.

Ultimately, I don't think it would have turned things around for them, for as much money as they were already hemorrhaging, and Dixie being Dixie. They might have lasted on spike a bit longer but the ship had been sinking for years by that point.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Benne posted:

I have a fun one to think about :

What if Katsuyori Shibata didn't leave NJPW in the 2000s?

I don't have anything to add other than this post made me incredibly emotional because I love Shibata and I think his redemption story was one of the best ever. But loving hell man like 6 or 7 more years of matches would've been amazing.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Max Coveri posted:

Are we assuming that TNA is actually committing to the changes he wanted to make? Because that's the reason he said he didn't go, and for good reason.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Halloween Jack posted:

Are we assuming that TNA is actually committing to the changes he wanted to make? Because that's the reason he said he didn't go, and for good reason.

He wanted to sign a freshly fired Daniel Bryan and have him murder everyone in less than 3 minutes with submission holds to do Angle vs Bryan, then have Bryan dispatch Angle in under 10 minutes, then he was gonna do the cull

It tracks as Paul has said that if ECW was still a thing it'd be more MMA/Grapplefuck focused

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jun 18, 2020

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I certainly wish that TNA had not been an experiment to recreate every mistake made by WCW and then some, and instead was focused on a Danielson/Daniels rivalry. But this alternate history may require assassinating Dixie Carter.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Heyman wanted hiring/firing power and was in all likelihood going to go through that group with a flaming axe. Russo easily would have been the first one out the door.

I'm not sure it would have ultimately saved them from their current fate but it would at least have delayed it.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I think this is one of those 'what-ifs' that absolutely could never have happened. It sounds like absolutely everything Dixie absolutely would never have done/allowed/wanted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009

Troy Queef posted:

Here's my best guess:
- David gets the world title reign that Kerry ended up getting, except maybe David gets more than three weeks out of it.
- Mike doesn't die because he's not pushed into David's spot; maybe he doesn't even get into wrestling because by all accounts he didn't have a taste for it.
- WCCW probably still goes belly-up; maybe it takes longer because David's there (but maybe David doesn't take it over from his dad and lets it go to Jerry Jarrett anyway).
- I don't know what happens with Chris. If Mike doesn't commit suicide, maybe Chris doesn't because the idea isn't there (and IIRC he and Mike were super close). I don't know if Chris gives up on wrestling when his body fails him.
- I think Kerry is still doomed one way or another.