Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

This show was perfectly fine, IMO. Weakest Trigger show I've seen in the last few years but still perfectly worth watching. Michiru was a delight, she and Nazuna make a cute couple even if the show doesn't feed the ship to the same extent as the popular gay ships from the past few Trigger things I've watched, and the animation was consistently lively and fun. Just awkwardly written in points - the pacing is consistently weird IMO and while the moral ends up being nice enough in the broad strokes the details turn into a huge mess when you start thinking about them very hard at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
The music was really good, between all the synth on it and the art style of the backgrounds the show felt oddly retro in some ways.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Sindai posted:

The music was really good, between all the synth on it and the art style of the backgrounds the show felt oddly retro in some ways.

Yeah, when the show's color palette gets darker the city aesthetic almost reminds me a bit of Big O.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Hoo boy, that...that was TRIGGER trying to do a furry show about discrimination alright, w all the good and bad that entails. Show just got dumber and dumber right to the very end, which is almost impressive. Like Beastars, this is the kind of thing you have to actively avoid trying to read as a racial thing, cuz hoooooo BOY does none of it work for even a second if you did.

Michiru and Shirou were never very interesting characters by themselves, but they do get some cute moments here and there, Michiru's relationship w Nazuna is a lllil more interesting and a lot warmer. I dunno, if the show kept w exploring the locals of the beast city instead of devoting itself to becoming an expositionathon in service to the stupid plot they were setting up, show coulda been something really different and special. As is, it's just another pretty but hollow TRIGGER thing w some cuddly warm moments and cool action here and there.

Pootybutt fucked around with this message at 23:58 on May 9, 2020

Seizon
Oct 10, 2011

The first ep was definitely the best from a thematic & aesthetic perspective I think, it just kept getting worse from there. It was so separate in style from the rest of the show that it felt like a 1 ep animation project followed by 11 episodes of stock seasonal filler. It was cute but definitely wound up not delivering on anything i found interesting :<

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

How dare any of you say that the baseball episode wasn't good :colbert:

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

It was rather cookie-cutter, but the bears were cute

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Ibblebibble posted:

How dare any of you say that the baseball episode wasn't good :colbert:

Baseball ep was the best one in the set, tons of fun. Should prolly clarify I feel like the show only starts getting dumb almost directly after the break p much.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
does it really focus on trans issues as everyone seemed to think it would

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Bummer, I was kinda looking forward to this one. I watched the first episode and decided to wait for it to get out of Netflix jail but apparently it kinda went and pulled a Little Witch Academia and didn't do or say much at the end?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Fabricated posted:

Bummer, I was kinda looking forward to this one. I watched the first episode and decided to wait for it to get out of Netflix jail but apparently it kinda went and pulled a Little Witch Academia and didn't do or say much at the end?

I mean

it's a fun show that consistently looks really nice and has great character designs and the message is fine even if it's pretty shallow? It's not gonna change anyone's life or anything but if you were looking forward to trying it I don't see any reason to write it off altogether.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Spiritus Nox posted:

I mean

it's a fun show that consistently looks really nice and has great character designs and the message is fine even if it's pretty shallow? It's not gonna change anyone's life or anything but if you were looking forward to trying it I don't see any reason to write it off altogether.
I wasn't really bothered by it with Little Witch Academia since it was pretty clear it was supposed to be light/fun and family friendly- it's why I liked it and was able to recommend it to my niece (who loved it). BNA kinda gave the impression early on it was going to be a bit more, I guess substantive?

LunarCress
Feb 7, 2015

Relin posted:

Eh, there's enough there that you could definitely put together a queer/trans reading, but I'd hesitate to call it what the show is "about".

sockpuppetclock
Sep 12, 2010
It was a little weird how the show literally ran out of music 3/4th of the way through.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

LunarCress posted:

Eh, there's enough there that you could definitely put together a queer/trans reading, but I'd hesitate to call it what the show is "about".

Episode 4 can kind of be read as an overt trans allegory and tackling the issue of transition regret/detransition in an extremely metaphorical way, but other than that, eeehhh...

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
So what I'm hearing is that it had the exact same thing going on as Franxx where there was a clear metaphor set up but then the writing just took the whole thing at exact face-value rather than what the face-value events seemed like reflections of in the real world?

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
I would argue that any attempts at allegory are torpedoed by the final-arc plot twist. You put too many Beastmen in one place and they inevitably become rampaging monsters? Hoooo boy

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Squidster posted:

I would argue that any attempts at allegory are torpedoed by the final-arc plot twist. You put too many Beastmen in one place and they inevitably become rampaging monsters? Hoooo boy

See I was worried about that sort of thing ever since the grandma bunny episode where everyone just seemed to accept that violence is inherent to the furry system

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Squidster posted:

Oof.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
BNA is still a fun show made with lots of enthusiasm and heart, it just undercuts itself by shoehorning in an unnecessary apocalyptic threat. Would it even be a Trigger show without an eye-rollingly bad third-act twist?

More detail on the spoiler:
I was excited when we learned the scientists at the Medical center believed Beastmen would inevitably start rampaging. I thought, "oh, this is an great example of scientific racism that'll be disproved by our plucky heroes." But no, Beastman really are dangerous animals that go supermutant when you mix too many animal species together. Then later the Mayor invents a cure.

no moral, the end

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Feels more about over-population and the stress that comes from living in close proximity to too many other people

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.

Relin posted:

No, people will see what they want to. Now that I've finished it, I'd give BNA an 8/10 as I thought it was pretty good but some of the show's direction was a little puzzling. Compared to Beastars, I don't think that's a fair comparison as both a very different animals. Compared to Kil La Kil, I'd say that it falls a bit behind. Some of the art was incredibly lazy but I generally enjoyed the designs of the characters, especially at night. The voice acting was real good and both opening and ending themes were excellent. I'd watch a second season if they made another.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
saying it’s worse than KLK is an unspeakably damning statement

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I at least got through BNA whereas KLK made me want to watch it less and less as the episode went on

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Not for nothing but Jackie, the comically poor bear kid, has got to be a very direct reference to Soviet Winnie the Pooh, right?

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.

Oxxidation posted:

saying it’s worse than KLK is an unspeakably damning statement

Worse? Nah. KLK was more straightforward and was clear in what the show was about and where it was going. BNA's ultimate direction was a bit off track at points and like others said, it could have used another episode or two to get to the end.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
Finally finished it, and while it wasn't my FAVORITE Trigger offering, it's one that at least had a beginning, middle and end? The world is pretty neat, though I almost feel like it was an extended excuse to make animal advertising pins. The aesthetic is super sharp as well. I'd enjoy it if they made just a buddy cop procedural set in the city.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
I just binged the entirety on Netflix and it was very good. Almost as good as LWA in my opinion. Really it just seems to be a show about self acceptance and controlling your own life, with the very obvious bit of Michiru literally saying ""It doesn't matter if I'm a girl, a beastman, or a human! I'll decide how I'll live my life and what's pretty!""

Also, I can get a definite trans reading out of the beastmanitis/beastman disease thing.

Watermelon Daiquiri fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Jul 1, 2020

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Things I like in anime: style, fun, girls being badasses. This show had all that, 10/10

the moose
Nov 7, 2009

Type: Electric Swing
Also binged watched it last night and it was fun. Wish there was more of it and more to it but it was a fun little anime.

Being trans I didn't get much of a trans vibe from the show. Michiru is definitely gay tho.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

I want a followup series where michiru and nazuna just go around and beat stuff up with cool animal powers tia

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

kidcoelacanth posted:

I want a followup series where michiru and nazuna just go around and beat stuff up with cool animal powers tia

:emptyquote:

Also the way i got the trans reading was: The initial transformation was the realization, her holing up was having to hide it from others, moving was coming out, the party was having to temporarily hide it for things like family, and a whole arc up to self acceptance. I admit its not perfect (like the initial desire to go back to human), but its there.

Watermelon Daiquiri fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jul 1, 2020

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Just wish they had an extra episode for the ending. There was a lot in there that needed way more room to breathe.

Solar Tornado
Aug 9, 2016

A true fool keeps on fighting, even when there is no more glory to be gained
I don't think coding really works with this anime (and arguably Trigger shows in general) because of all the implied race-science.

Also, is this the first anime where the 1000 year old deity is a hunky male?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Solar Tornado posted:

I don't think coding really works with this anime (and arguably Trigger shows in general) because of all the implied race-science.

Also, is this the first anime where the 1000 year old deity is a hunky male?

Oh, there's plenty of them in shoujo.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Vinylshadow posted:

Feels more about over-population and the stress that comes from living in close proximity to too many other people

Except that it only happens to Beastmen and not human.

Trying to apply any coding to this series just doesn't work at all. Not race, not trans issues, not anything at but the barest level or at an isolated level. The best episodes are basically the SoL ones, obviously and the ending and the elements that make it just sorta show up. Pure-blooded Beastmen only get talked about once before, iirc. The howling thing idk if it ever came up (it might have once, but I don't remember), and then the whole blood thing was hinted at, but never really solidified.

TRIGGER basically upped the stakes way too high on this series towards the end and obviously hosed up the landing a little.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
No TRIGGER anime has had a good ending, full stop. This one just being kind of rushed is a massive step up in quality, haha.

Edit: Also Michiru is absolutely gay, no doubt in my mind.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

gridman had a super good ending

gurren lagann, kill la kill, promare, and BNA were all written by the same guy so its easy to see how people would conflate his writing with the studio's at large since that's most of their flagship stuff

Solar Tornado
Aug 9, 2016

A true fool keeps on fighting, even when there is no more glory to be gained
Can someone give a good explanation why there was a baseball episode even though Michiru was written to be a basketball player?
Like, I'm guessing that maybe there are more visual gags to baseball and that it might be more culturally significant. And if so, why not write her to be a baseball player then? Why the set-up and no pay-off?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Baseball is extremely popular in Japan which is why approximately half of all anime have a baseball episode.