Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
is there another beta invite wave?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

is there another beta invite wave?

If I understand this correctly (entirely possible I don't) basically any major streamer streaming it from the 7th on will have keys going, unless/until they cut off key drops for the invite portion.

a glitch posted:

I find their reluctance about character skins to be a bit strange. CS:GO has something similar, right? Have characters/skins etc. made CS:GO harder to play before or something?

Part of it is probably silhouette readability but a potentially much larger part is that once you start getting into elaborate skins that people consider 'worth' $XX you quickly run into some design overhead on keeping the game at a steady 30FPS on like, what were they targeting, decade old abacuses?

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

a glitch posted:

I find their reluctance about character skins to be a bit strange. CS:GO has something similar, right? Have characters/skins etc. made CS:GO harder to play before or something?

csgo only just started doing character skins, cs didnt have any skins for the vast majority of its life span and the new ones can blend in on certain maps and cause issues for colorblind ppl

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Orv posted:

Part of it is probably silhouette readability but a potentially much larger part is that once you start getting into elaborate skins that people consider 'worth' $XX you quickly run into some design overhead on keeping the game at a steady 30FPS on like, what were they targeting, decade old abacuses?

Readability is likely the prime driver regarding that, there's some older skins in League that are disabled in pro play because it can make their abilities hard to see instantly.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012
Wasn't it only last year that they added the whole agent skin system? Even then, they're very tame compared to Overwatch or League.

Orv
May 4, 2011

njsykora posted:

Readability is likely the prime driver regarding that, there's some older skins in League that are disabled in pro play because it can make their abilities hard to see instantly.

Yeah I have to imagine given things like the poison cloud and the ice wall if you started having ones with wildly different colors or effects it would slow down sight reads enough to be problematic.

a glitch
Jun 27, 2008

no wait stop

Soiled Meat

Orv posted:

If I understand this correctly (entirely possible I don't) basically any major streamer streaming it from the 7th on will have keys going, unless/until they cut off key drops for the invite portion.

Stux posted:

csgo only just started doing character skins, cs didnt have any skins for the vast majority of its life span and the new ones can blend in on certain maps and cause issues for colorblind ppl

These both make sense. I think the original CS had a small selection of skins, so I just assumed CS:GO was no different. If it causes problems for colourblind people or fucks with silhouettes then yes, that's definitely not good and needs to be handled carefully. Maybe a setting that makes all enemies appear with vanilla skins? I think Guild Wars 2 does that.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

yeah traditionally cs had a set of models for T and CT but they were a set selection that everyone could pick. csgo changed that entirely though where map makers picked the skins for the map for either side to make everything uniform. theyve only added skins now because the games gone f2p and apparently the awful lootboxes werent enough income.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
Ugh, i left it open for all 8 hours and nothing son of a bitch!

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

game didnt LOOK very exciting but probably way more fun to play than watch, kinda like Overwatch

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Ellipson posted:

I also have a key for the 7th, pumped!

Are goons going to congregate in a specific discord?

So far it’s just 3 of us with keys so far. I’m down to join a discord or play together. Also I’m bad at cs

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
I always get scared when I encounter enemies in can and spaz and miss the shot, haha. This looks like it might be fun.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I'm still surprised they only released 25,000 drops each in NA and EU. There was a peak of a million viewers on Twitch yesterday. The hype for this game is absolutely insane.

Ellipson posted:

Are goons going to congregate in a specific discord?

Hadn't really thought about that when I started the thread. I'm not really in many goon discords so if there's one that someone here has some kinda pull in that is run by good people that we could get a couple channels in or something that'd be neat. Obviously I don't know if we're going to end up with enough people here to need a standalone Discord so if anyone has any ideas please post away.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

Kazinsal posted:

I'm still surprised they only released 25,000 drops each in NA and EU. There was a peak of a million viewers on Twitch yesterday. The hype for this game is absolutely insane.

Hadn't really thought about that when I started the thread. I'm not really in many goon discords so if there's one that someone here has some kinda pull in that is run by good people that we could get a couple channels in or something that'd be neat. Obviously I don't know if we're going to end up with enough people here to need a standalone Discord so if anyone has any ideas please post away.

Can always come hang out with the pubg/cod warzone goons : https://discord.gg/Uz2uhd

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

It turns out there's already some Valorant stuff going on in the League thread discord so maybe we should just use that one?

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Yeah the league discord is here: https://discord.gg/VcAdkdk

There's already some talk about Valorant in the #riot-games channel (along with TFT and LoR) but if it gets active enough I'm pretty sure Luna will make separate channels for it.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
While I’m not likely to play this game much/at all, I’m excited to watch it be played and I hope a good professional scene can develop for the game. I’ve personally found CS hard to watch cause I’m not a fan of the visuals but this game hits really good balance between gameplay and visuals from a spectator aspect and the abilities are cool and fun to watch. Not sure how I feel about watching when a billion smokes go out at the same time, but I’m riding the hype wave.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
id very much like a key for this

Orv
May 4, 2011
I don't believe transferable ones exist at this time outside of perhaps content creator/critic keys which are unlikely to be floating about.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012
You'll be able to get keys from twitch again on the 7th.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Orv posted:

I don't believe transferable ones exist at this time outside of perhaps content creator/critic keys which are unlikely to be floating about.

oh I know, just registering my interest in video game

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."
Looks fun, had Lupo's stream on for most of the day and got nothing, will try again while Work From Homeing on Tuesday. I liked Overwatch for a while, I liked CSGO for a while, I was bad at both, so the augurs indicate I will be bad at this but enjoy it for a little while!

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
it looks like a lot of fun to click on heads in this game, really reminding me of classic 1.6

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

https://youtu.be/lPwUaEcWJMo

Haven’t seen this posted here yet, so I thought might as well. I do appreciate the effort they’re taking to communicate even during the current global situation. Tbh, I really like Anna and how she has spoken in public so far and I feel like she may end up being a “face” of Valorant similar to Jeff Kaplan from Overwatch.

Bardeh posted:

it looks like a lot of fun to click on heads in this game, really reminding me of classic 1.6

I’ve watched quite a few CS:GO players who have played Valorant saying that it is more similar to 1.6 than GO so hopefully that’s exciting for you.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

My friend who works at Riot is hooking me up with access apparently. I haven’t played CS in like ten years and i haven’t played a multiplayer FPS game in like five. God bless.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

jimmydalad posted:

https://youtu.be/lPwUaEcWJMo

Haven’t seen this posted here yet, so I thought might as well. I do appreciate the effort they’re taking to communicate even during the current global situation. Tbh, I really like Anna and how she has spoken in public so far and I feel like she may end up being a “face” of Valorant similar to Jeff Kaplan from Overwatch.

I’ve watched quite a few CS:GO players who have played Valorant saying that it is more similar to 1.6 than GO so hopefully that’s exciting for you.

good poo poo. I may well not get a key from the drops tomorrow, but hey, they're doing what they can

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

eonwe posted:

good poo poo. I may well not get a key from the drops tomorrow, but hey, they're doing what they can

I hope you get a key

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
so far Sage and Breach seem like characters I'd like

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Brimstone and Sova seem right up my alley since entryfragging has never been something I've been particularly good at.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

I’m personally looking at Cypher, Sova and Sage as picks cause I like gathering information and playing defensive and these three seem to lend themselves to that play style. Omen looks cool but I’m not good enough to use that ultimate and I have never played a tactical shooter so entry fragging is impossible.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

excited for the game but also looking up no details so i can jump in a lobby as a complete loving noob and be cannon fodder for guys that actually watch the twitch stream and not just leave it on in the background while they study chess openings

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

So like how does getting these keys by watching streamers work? Do I have to click on anything or can I leave the stream running in the background while I sleep?

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

FrostyPox posted:

So like how does getting these keys by watching streamers work? Do I have to click on anything or can I leave the stream running in the background while I sleep?

go to settings-> connections -> connect your riot games account to your twitch account; then, load up a stream that says "Drops enabled! Watch for a chance to earn loot." under the video feed, then leave it running and do whatever you want!

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Firebert posted:

go to settings-> connections -> connect your riot games account to your twitch account; then, load up a stream that says "Drops enabled! Watch for a chance to earn loot." under the video feed, then leave it running and do whatever you want!

Excellent. Thanks!

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

However much alcohol the server team have in their homes right now it probably isn't enough.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
only 25k went out and I keep getting error 43 but if I'm lucky enough to get in the queue to actually play is disable

I don't know why I expect Riot to make a client that worked

edit;

https://twitter.com/PlayVALORANT/status/1247504047868764160

That's good to know at least.

Asema fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Apr 7, 2020

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Yeah people are actually in and playing now on streams.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

so if i leave a stream open in another tab, there's a chance ill get a key now? small chance but yeah

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

queeb posted:

so if i leave a stream open in another tab, there's a chance ill get a key now? small chance but yeah

you have to be considered 'watching' with a green dot on your twitch account. If leaving it open in another tab does that, then it should work.

When I did it to get this and Runeterra I just threw it on another monitor and had firefox mute the tab entirely so Twitch still thought the audio was coming through

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Played a few rounds on my lunch break. Shooting does feel very 1.6-ish, for want of a better term, which is a good thing as far as I'm concerned. I'm way, way too out of practice for something as hardcore as this and got extremely owned, but I'm looking forward to playing some more this evening.