Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Yeah, I... don't recall actually killing anything underwater when I played through Subnautica. I mean, you CAN eventually whittle down most dangerous things with your knife, or other tools, but it's really not worth the time and effort considering that there are in practice no "unique" creatures that you can actually clear out and which won't respawn.

Not that I wouldn't have given my left arm for a harpoon gun or something because there are a couple of creatures in the oceans of this planet that absolutely deserve to die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

PurpleXVI posted:

Not that I wouldn't have given my left arm for a harpoon gun or something

Surprisingly close to what you can do

Chronische
Aug 7, 2012

Most critters can't even be processed into resources, at least not the big critters. A real shame, that, but it does keep the ocean vibrant and full of life since you aren't encouraged to just kill every living thing you encounter to throw into a furnace.

One thing I will say: storage, until you get serious rooms to build for your base, was a HUGE problem for me. I ended up with a massive cluster of deployable lockers around my lifepod because I couldn't let a single mineable spot go unmined if I encountered it! I suppose I could have made some foundations and built above the surface but that's COWARDS work!

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

I just wish there was an option to reprocess items back to reality materials so I didn't feel I was wasting any resources I put into floating storage containers.

Chronische
Aug 7, 2012

idhrendur posted:

I just wish there was an option to reprocess items back to reality materials so I didn't feel I was wasting any resources I put into floating storage containers.

There is a mod for that, the Recycling Bin.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
#4 - Home Sweet Tube

We finally build some permanent shelter, as well as meet a new friend named Reggie.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Hello Reggie, I think I love you :swoon:

I don't love that sneaky jerk that hit you from behind, though. Go punch a fish in revenge :(

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007
Yeah there needs to be a lot more fish interaction in this LP. Fish scanning, fish touching, fish pulling. Gotta get that interaction somehow to stave off insanity and despair.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Should've taken some ideas from Endless Ocean in that case. In fact I would've been okay if it was just Endless Ocean but on an Alien planet for that part.

Also you missed picking something up in that big wreckage pile due to low inventory space.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

There will be plenty of fish stabbing in the coming videos. :ese:

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
Man no kidding about the Laser Cutter, finding that fucker is probably the game's biggest challenge.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

thekeeshman posted:

Yeah there needs to be a lot more fish interaction in this LP.

PurpleXVI posted:

Laser Cutter
May I interest you all in the merits of fish lasing?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Pointing a gun at your own fish tank is a classic Alterra move

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

PurpleXVI posted:

Man no kidding about the Laser Cutter, finding that fucker is probably the game's biggest challenge.
I never had problems with the Laser Cutter like was mentioned in the video. Back in beta there was a patch that changed how wrecks were handled. Before there were a small variety of ways to get into a bunch of wrecks (doors, laser cutter, vents) but they covered up the vents and flipped some doors around (so they only open from inside) so you have to laser cutter your way in to those wrecks now.

Afterwards I always found plenty of fragments in the various biomes you can get to if you know what you're doing.

The only time I had problems with fragments was regarding one of the vehicles in the game. There's supposed to be enough guaranteed fragments in one location for you to get it, but for some reason I was missing one (fortunately I knew where another fragment could be found.)
Then in the same run I had way more of a certain upgrade than I should have and consequently couldn't find enough fragments to get the upgrade I actually wanted, which is kind of an important one. I had like, 8 grapple arm fragments and only 1 drill arm fragment.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Reginald!

Can we give him a surname? Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Reginald Fotherington-Smythe IV

Bloops Crusts
Aug 14, 2016
I've been playing (and modding) a ton of Subnautica lately with the quarantine. It's looking to be the first time I ever end up finishing the game. I'm pretty far in.

One mod I would recommend is Debris Recycling. I find as the game goes on, you end up scanning a lot of mobile vehicle bay fragments, laser cutter fragments, seamoth fragments, and other assorted junk in those crates that litter the seabed. I was wasting a *lot* of time swimming down to random crates to see what goodies they might conceal, only to realize, once I got there, that the crate was empty, as I had already scanned it before... Debris Recycling lets you deconstruct those crates for extra titanium, take them out of the game world so you're not constantly swimming down to useless crates.

I don't feel too guilty about using it, as it doesn't do a lot to break vanilla gameplay aside from providing extra titanium... which you're usually swimming in anyway.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

You said your base needs power, and that's why you built it by a geyser. Can you explain how the geyser provides power? Is it thermal energy, or does it provide direct or indirect (by disturbing the surface) light for the solar panel you were installing at the time? My husband and I watched that bit twice and were having a hard time putting two and two together. :downs:

Vauron
Aug 7, 2016

Take your stance
I will give you one fair chance
So let's make this dance a bloody masquerade

Hirayuki posted:

You said your base needs power, and that's why you built it by a geyser. Can you explain how the geyser provides power? Is it thermal energy, or does it provide direct or indirect (by disturbing the surface) light for the solar panel you were installing at the time? My husband and I watched that bit twice and were having a hard time putting two and two together. :downs:

The geyser isn't being used to produce power yet. He hasn't built the structure that turns heat into electricity yet. Later on, when power is needed in greater amounts, a thermal generator will get built. So, DoubleNegative was more talking about why the base is where it is in a long term sense. I agree it was a confusing statement.

Really, solar is plenty when you are constructing in the shallows. You may need to put up several solar panels, but that isn't a big deal to me. I think I only used two types of power sources total when I played: solar, and one that hasn't been mentioned yet that I only used for a base in the deepest region.

Vauron fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Apr 4, 2020

Bloops Crusts
Aug 14, 2016
I think power is one area where the gameplay could stand to be expanded a bit. Up until I started running endgame mods like Quantum Teleportation, I never really felt like I *needed* all that much power. A single thermal power plant was usually enough to skate by... There just aren't enough drains on power in vanilla, even with a fully upgraded scanning room.

The game might be more interesting if, as your base expanded, you were required you to build more infrastructure to support that base, oxygen scrubbers for example... Then those doohickeys would impose a power cost, forcing you to further scale up your power infrastructure in proportion to the base. Sort of like how SimTower required you to build more recycling plants and security centers as your tower got bigger.

Then again, maybe that would be too much of a player hassle.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I clearly played this game very differently, because I didn't use solar or thermal (until much later in the game) and powered my base with something we haven't seen yet (I don't think).

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

I, uh, never realized that corridors were technically enough for a base and thus put off building off one until I had considerably more base-related tech.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

If you're willing to go quantity over quality you can use solar as deep as 225m. You'll be getting a fraction of what you'd get in the shallows but if all you need it a tube with air in it it's good enough.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Bloops Crusts posted:

I think power is one area where the gameplay could stand to be expanded a bit. Up until I started running endgame mods like Quantum Teleportation, I never really felt like I *needed* all that much power. A single thermal power plant was usually enough to skate by... There just aren't enough drains on power in vanilla, even with a fully upgraded scanning room.
Someone didn't build more than one water filter.
Or exterior lights.
Or charged their batteries, power cells and vehicles all at once while having exterior lights and several water filters run while crafting a whole bunch of things.

It's why I build three-four thermal power devices for my base. One/Two didn't cut it to meet my needs.
And at least 4-6 solar panels before that :v:

And I forgo scanner rooms ever since I had an audio bug with one and a stalker related annoyance I had another time.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Vauron posted:

The geyser isn't being used to produce power yet. He hasn't built the structure that turns heat into electricity yet. Later on, when power is needed in greater amounts, a thermal generator will get built. So, DoubleNegative was more talking about why the base is where it is in a long term sense. I agree it was a confusing statement.
Excellent! Thank you very much. :tipshat:

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

So why is the base underwater and not 10m further up where air and water-pressure are nonissues and sunlight is much stronger?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

The Lone Badger posted:

So why is the base underwater and not 10m further up where air and water-pressure are nonissues and sunlight is much stronger?

it's not called Supernautica :rolleye:

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

Because the game isn't called Supernautica :colbert:.

edit Lol beaten

Dreadwroth2
Feb 28, 2019

by Cyrano4747
You can make a platform nearer to the surface and cover it with solar panels, then make a series of power relay things to your base. Nothing says the panels have to be physically on the base itself.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

ThingOne posted:

If you're willing to go quantity over quality you can use solar as deep as 225m. You'll be getting a fraction of what you'd get in the shallows but if all you need it a tube with air in it it's good enough.

Unless they patched it out some time after Below Zero's launch, you don't even need that! The animation for going in and out of an airlock is treated as if the base has air no matter what, so you can plop down an unpowered tube anywhere you want then just hop in and out a few times to refill your tank.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

The Lone Badger posted:

Cause the ground's down there.

There will be cause to build forward resupply bases in the deeper ocean later, but your first base is more for the sake of having more space and equipment than the life pod. It doesn't really make a difference if it's above or under the water, since you're going to need to power it to use any stuff in there anyway.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Tenebrais posted:

Cause the ground's down there.

There will be cause to build forward resupply bases in the deeper ocean later, but your first base is more for the sake of having more space and equipment than the life pod. It doesn't really make a difference if it's above or under the water, since you're going to need to power it to use any stuff in there anyway.

The game is, uh, also not quite optimal when dealing with walking as opposed to swimming, so you generally want to keep yourself in the water as much as possible.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The Lone Badger posted:

Are you trying to tell me you wouldn't build an awesome underwater superbase if you didn't have the chance? :colbert:

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Por que no los dos?

I always built my main base above and below the waterline.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

It is the one area that walking beats swimming. Going through a vertical tube section in your base is instant, no matter how long that segment is :v:

azren
Feb 14, 2011

So as far as I can tell, we so far don't have any reason whatsoever for building the base we have, when the escape pod is so close. Is there something I'm missing?

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Storage, for one. The life pod can't take lockers.
Also a scanner room is going to be added soon.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

azren posted:

So as far as I can tell, we so far don't have any reason whatsoever for building the base we have, when the escape pod is so close. Is there something I'm missing?

Storage, as mentioned, there are also a bunch of other additions that gain you access to more tools and stuff. Secondly there's just the fun of basebuilding and lastly, if this was a Survival run, you basically need to build a base to progress beyond living off fish you wrestle out of the water and on to something a bit more sustainable.

EDIT: Oh and while a farther-away base would have many of the same advantages, DN doesn't yet have access to the power supplies that would be most effective deeper in the sea, nor has he yet found any other thermal power sources deeper down to take advantage of.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

BTW OP: I had restarted my game several times and always found that geyser at the same spot, maybe it was changed from what you remember?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

By popular demand posted:

BTW OP: I had restarted my game several times and always found that geyser at the same spot, maybe it was changed from what you remember?

The world itself is fixed, however the location of your lifepod in the Shallows is random.

Amazing how hard it is to find something when you have even a slightly different starting point.