Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
The true irony is the Sea Emperor's pool was my first death in the game, as I accidentally clipped through the wall at one point and ran out of oxygen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

By popular demand posted:

Only now I realised the irony of the precursors cutting and prodding a specimen who would actually have gladly helped them if they just tried to communicate or just let it free.
They were all kinda up their collective asses.

It's worth noting that the Emperor says "they could not hear me," not that they refused to listen. It's possible (though I admit not very likely at all) that the aliens didn't know they were dealing with a sentient being. They were trying to prevent their entire civilization from being wiped out. If they thought that they could communicate with the only source of their potential salvation, they would've tried. Especially when they were failing to get the eggs to hatch.

Mr. Baps fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jun 6, 2020

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I meant that despite not 'hearing' the emperor, the precursors didn't even make the effort of rudimentary sign language.
We tried so much with dolphins and they have no qualities which will save us from a plague.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

There's something to be said about the Emperor being so large it stops being scary and just becomes... Magnificent.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
The Sea Emperor is adorable for a giant leviathan.

I also think one of my favourite bites of animation is Riley on the second time you prod the QEP's detector, the hestitation, the dodging, the little annoyed flicker from the pokey prodder and then the follow-up punch. It's some decent physical comedy.

Mighty Steed
Apr 16, 2005
Nice horsey
Very much enjoyed the moment at 12 minutes in.

Amazing how quick and easy it was to sort that out as I thought you'd have a big job on your hands.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

I think the scariest thing about the Kharaa bacteria is that it's so contagious, the QEP needs only one uninfected being to shut the whole thing down.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

Walrus Pete posted:

It's worth noting that the Emperor says "they could not hear me," not that they refused to listen. It's possible (though I admit not very likely at all) that the aliens didn't know they were dealing with a sentient being. They were trying to prevent their entire civilization from being wiped out. If they thought that they could communicate with the only source of their potential salvation, they would've tried. Especially when they were failing to get the eggs to hatch.

Yeah, this is basically it, I think. The aliens weren't able to hear her telepathically talking and she wasn't able to communicate any other way. Also they were kind of dicks so I doubt she tried very hard. Even if they had though, she couldn't give them what they wanted. They needed a cure they could synthsize and distribute over their entire civilization. The best she could do is suppress the infection in people who are physically brought over to her.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Gothsheep posted:

Yeah, this is basically it, I think. The aliens weren't able to hear her telepathically talking and she wasn't able to communicate any other way. Also they were kind of dicks so I doubt she tried very hard. Even if they had though, she couldn't give them what they wanted. They needed a cure they could synthsize and distribute over their entire civilization. The best she could do is suppress the infection in people who are physically brought over to her.

The young generate bubbles of the enzyme, so I'm sure that if they'd gotten a sample of it, they could have replicated it.

Maybe.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
I also imagine that as the babies grow it would've become easier to collect enough of the enzyme to create a cure. Just one bubble was enough to purge the infection from Riley after all.

Also Warper teleporting away was kinda cute, like it's going "Oh my, I'm so embarrassed. *teleports*"

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jun 7, 2020

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Chimera-gui posted:

Also Warper teleporting away was kinda cute, like it's going "Oh my, I'm so embarrassed. *teleports*"

I'm thinking they wouldn't bother with all the porting around if they were back on standby. They'd just go to wherever they get sustenance from or some communal space where they don't have to talk to each other over radio frequencies.

Maybe they're still desperately trying to find their lone target, who has mysteriously dropped off their radar.

Dreadwroth2
Feb 28, 2019

by Cyrano4747
I think the implication is the precursors dont have the right kind of brain she can communicate with, but humans do.
Also Sea Emperors are not the largest kind of leviathan, theres bigger stuff out there.
I like that the entire planet is covered in ocean and most of it is barren wasteland inhabited by huge animals except for a few spots, its a very Lovecraftian kinda idea.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

I always consider curing the bacteria as the end of my playthroughs because honestly? gently caress Alterra.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Stay here with fish bros forever. When we go back we will just owe a few billion dollars to Alterra for what we already mined out, after all

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

Dreadwroth2 posted:

I think the implication is the precursors dont have the right kind of brain she can communicate with, but humans do.
Also Sea Emperors are not the largest kind of leviathan, theres bigger stuff out there.
I like that the entire planet is covered in ocean and most of it is barren wasteland inhabited by huge animals except for a few spots, its a very Lovecraftian kinda idea.

I think it's implied that the reason for this is because of Kharaa. The system of Peepers spreading Enzyme 42 around is keeping things in this region alive, but if you go far enough the concentration of it is too low and everything dies off. Except Ghost Leviathans. Maybe they're immune?

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
A lot of the lore entries seem to be indicating that the precursors were basically digital life that interacted with the real world through purpose-built avatars. It's very possible that they didn't have a brain capable of psychic communication.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Gothsheep posted:

I think it's implied that the reason for this is because of Kharaa. The system of Peepers spreading Enzyme 42 around is keeping things in this region alive, but if you go far enough the concentration of it is too low and everything dies off. Except Ghost Leviathans. Maybe they're immune?

Ghosties are born down in the Lost River, so they get their enzymes like everybody else.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

Slaan posted:

Stay here with fish bros forever. When we go back we will just owe a few billion dollars to Alterra for what we already mined out, after all

Even if they weren't gonna try and stick me with the bill I'd leave the gun active anyway because I don't trust them not to gently caress up 4546B's incredibly delicate ecosystem. Plus, spending the rest of my days chilling on the beach and living in kick-rear end sea bases sounds a lot better than going back to being a wage slave.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I wonder if any's tried to attack the Sea Emperor or her eggs.

See Mohn
Oct 28, 2010

I find it hilarious that Subnautica makes the single safest spot in the game the initially most terrifying.
Drop into a big opaque pool, probably having a pretty good guess as to what's going to be inside, and then the platform shakes and another giant sea monster pops up two feet in front of you.
"Are you here... to plaaaaay?"

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

See Mohn posted:

I find it hilarious that Subnautica makes the single safest spot in the game the initially most terrifying.
Drop into a big opaque pool, probably having a pretty good guess as to what's going to be inside, and then the platform shakes and another giant sea monster pops up two feet in front of you.
"Are you here... to plaaaaay?"

I'm pretty sure that was the intent.

Dreadwroth2
Feb 28, 2019

by Cyrano4747
Yeah the first time big momma makes contact with you is probably one of the more startling parts of the game, even when I know it's coming it still catches me off guard because its loud as hell.

ThingOne posted:

Even if they weren't gonna try and stick me with the bill I'd leave the gun active anyway because I don't trust them not to gently caress up 4546B's incredibly delicate ecosystem. Plus, spending the rest of my days chilling on the beach and living in kick-rear end sea bases sounds a lot better than going back to being a wage slave.

Oh Alterra knows all about this planet, the gun can't cover everywhere even if you do leave it on.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Dreadwroth2 posted:

Yeah the first time big momma makes contact with you is probably one of the more startling parts of the game, even when I know it's coming it still catches me off guard because its loud as hell.

The most startling part is getting teleported out of a vehicle by a warper. Super loud and always unexpected.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

And for some reason it always gives me goosebumps whenever it happens. So I always end up knife fighting a Warper out of spite until they gently caress off.

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

Now, Red! Seal the deal with a catchy one-liner!

Dreadwroth2 posted:

Oh Alterra knows all about this planet, the gun can't cover everywhere even if you do leave it on.

I'm pretty sure one of the data entries you get for the gun says that it CAN cover the entire planet by bending the shot around the planet using the planet's gravity. After all, it wouldn't be very effective at enforcing the quarantine if you could just sail out of range of it before taking off.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

It's impressive that we only knew the Sea Emperor (Empress?) for about 15 minutes of video, and I was really sad to see it die. At least it got to see its babies get born, and know that they were going to be free. :unsmith:

Also, that line about being so small as to see the gaps between grains of sand was really cool. Rest in peace, giant psychic fish friend.

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

you should have left Let's Play open for public view, Lowtax

Polaron posted:

A lot of the lore entries seem to be indicating that the precursors were basically digital life that interacted with the real world through purpose-built avatars. It's very possible that they didn't have a brain capable of psychic communication.

The Precursors were apparently plantlike lifeforms that fully embraced trans- uh, transprecursorism, I guess, and digitized their entire species at some point.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
For me the real moment the tragedy hit me was the moment I realised the Sea Emperor had a concept of reincarnation. That was a sentient species with culture and religion, capable of treating the plague that wiped out their civilisation (if you have something that suppresses the bacterium then you have an excellent place to start for a full cure, at the very least), and the precursors hosed it right up. In a believable manner, too.

Nice to see an all-powerful precursor race treated this way in game terms, actually.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Loxbourne posted:

Nice to see an all-powerful precursor race treated this way in game terms, actually.

This reminds me, no joke, of She-Ra, the recently concluded Netflix show. (Spoilers, of course.)

The First Ones (She-Ra's version of the precursor race) are initially treated as this mysterious, super powerful race, who built lots of stuff, and then suddenly vanished. A big focus of the first couple seasons is the protagonists trying to track down "First Ones tech" to be used to fight against their enemies.

But then as the show goes on, you realise that the First Ones weren't some kind of enlightened, benevolent race: they were colonisers. They went from planet to planet stripping them of their resources and, whenever they found something "unusual" (such as Etheria, the planet the series is mostly set on), they immediately went around trying to find a way to weaponise it. And when one of their own realises that hey, that's not a cool thing to do, they tried to kill her and, when that failed, started talking about her as the bad guy who suddenly went crazy and ruined everything they had built.

(gently caress the First Ones is what I'm saying.)

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Very fun LP for a game that grabbed me like few have before.

(I cannot wait for Below Zero to finish.)

After everyone is done with this LP and the game I suggest they look up Subnautica Reactions on youtube.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Dreadwroth2 posted:

It actually can, one of the databank entries says the particle beam can be bent around the planet's gravity well to hit targets outside direct line-of-sight.

Whether it's got the rate-of-fire to deal with multiple determined ships doing a zerg rush is a different thing.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
#26 - Neptune Rocket

And with that the LP comes to an end!

The last message from the Sea Emperor was very likely her letting us know that she kept herself alive long enough to see us leave the planet safely.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Hooray! A ... happy? ending? (Well, not for the poor cuddlefish).

Will you be doing anything with the polar DLC?

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

Samovar posted:

Hooray! A ... happy? ending? (Well, not for the poor cuddlefish).

Will you be doing anything with the polar DLC?

Have to admit, given the dark humour I was wavering a bit when the player encountered the orbital debris field . But no, wonderful happy ending and hopefully our hero can get some decent legal/financial/PR representation to avoid any post-recovery bollocks from Alterra.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

Loxbourne posted:

Have to admit, given the dark humour I was wavering a bit when the player encountered the orbital debris field . But no, wonderful happy ending and hopefully our hero can get some decent legal/financial/PR representation to avoid any post-recovery bollocks from Alterra.

Honestly for as much as it's set up like Alterra is a horrible corporate dystopia, the company itself actually seems pretty reasonable at every step. I don't remember where it was mentioned, but the reason for you being charged for what you collect is so that you can't get yourself a nice little setup using all the resources Alterra provided so you could get yourself home, spend an extra month harvesting diamonds and lithium, and then come back and go "Thanks for the help! You know where I can sell these fat stacks of diamonds I happen to be traveling with?"

With Alterra, as we've seen, it's all about your negotiating position, but they still do recognize and reward merit and achievement. With the combination of research data he collected on alien technology and the odds he overcame to cure the disease, I would be very surprised if our boy Ryley did not come out of this experience with a very enviable new position within the company, and his debt waved provided he signed over rights to his discoveries to Alterra.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Gothsheep posted:

Honestly for as much as it's set up like Alterra is a horrible corporate dystopia, the company itself actually seems pretty reasonable at every step. I don't remember where it was mentioned, but the reason for you being charged for what you collect is so that you can't get yourself a nice little setup using all the resources Alterra provided so you could get yourself home, spend an extra month harvesting diamonds and lithium, and then come back and go "Thanks for the help! You know where I can sell these fat stacks of diamonds I happen to be traveling with?"

With Alterra, as we've seen, it's all about your negotiating position, but they still do recognize and reward merit and achievement. With the combination of research data he collected on alien technology and the odds he overcame to cure the disease, I would be very surprised if our boy Ryley did not come out of this experience with a very enviable new position within the company, and his debt waved provided he signed over rights to his discoveries to Alterra.

lol

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010

Gothsheep posted:

Nah, pretty sure everything he'd found was already Alterra corporate property. It was found by one of their employees, after all.

What were those pigeon-like bird/fish on the rocket at the end, had we seen those before?

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012

Gothsheep posted:

lol

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

inflatablefish posted:

Nah, pretty sure everything he'd found was already Alterra corporate property. It was found by one of their employees, after all.

What were those pigeon-like bird/fish on the rocket at the end, had we seen those before?

Yeah, they're all over the islands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
So, our whole adventure is basically Pikmin 1? And the sequel hook is Pikmin 2?