Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Mraagvpeine posted:

So, our whole adventure is basically Pikmin 1? And the sequel hook is Pikmin 2?

If Pikmin 2 means overthrowing the tyrannical zaibatsus, then yes! (I hope).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Req.Martyr
May 4, 2016

I don't go by my caste, creed, or religion. My works speak for me.

Great thread, great playthrough. This motivated me to actually play the game, despite the constant dread it gives me.

Thanks a ton!

Faylone
Feb 18, 2012

Slaan posted:

Stay here with fish bros forever. When we go back we will just owe a few billion dollars to Alterra for what we already mined out, after all

You underestimated alterra's dickery by an order of magnitude, but still...Riley's hosed unless he can get some major credit for some of the stuff he managed to uncover like the ion cells and other discoveries he didn't need to go out of his way to find.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Faylone posted:

You underestimated alterra's dickery by an order of magnitude, but still...Riley's hosed unless he can get some major credit for some of the stuff he managed to uncover like the ion cells and other discoveries he didn't need to go out of his way to find.

At the very least, the fact that he opened up a planet that is ludicrously rich in resources (seriously, the guy racked up a trillion credit tab in like two weeks) ought to curry some favor with the capitalistic hellhole that is Alterra.

Thanks for the LP, DN! :toot:

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

"Being a fangame and not bound to a rating, Pokemon Reborn is able to expand more on topics such as death and the extreme dangers Pokemon could pose. These topics...are treated with the respect such a subject deserves."

Let's throw a Medicham into a volcano and make it give the T2 thumbs up!

BisbyWorl posted:

At the very least, the fact that he opened up a planet that is ludicrously rich in resources (seriously, the guy racked up a trillion credit tab in like two weeks) ought to curry some favor with the capitalistic hellhole that is Alterra.

inflatablefish posted:

Nah, pretty sure everything he'd found was already Alterra corporate property. It was found by one of their employees, after all.

This. I think it's spelled out somewhere very early on that the entire planet became Alterra's property as soon as their ship crashed on it and therefore "discovered" it. Riley doesn't have any leverage whatsoever, because in Alterra's mind he was purchasing the company's resources (they did warn him that he would be charged for all of it, after all).

I think he should have just left the gun platform online and enjoyed his new life on the planet. Or escaped to one of Alterra's competitors or something. Beats going back to Alterra and putting up with that mess.

Also, great work on the LP, DN. Congrats.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
Seems like the animation to climb the ladder onto the Neptune launch platform is a lot slower than other ladder climb animations, and all the button-pressing to bring the rocket online is really slow as well. Deliberately, like your character is exhausted. That's the feeling I get anyway.

Thanks for the LP DoubleNegative! Lots of fun and sold at least one copy of this game.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Guess I should get around to finishing my own run of the game now.

Great work though.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Loxbourne posted:

Have to admit, given the dark humour I was wavering a bit when the player encountered the orbital debris field . But no, wonderful happy ending and hopefully our hero can get some decent legal/financial/PR representation to avoid any post-recovery bollocks from Alterra.

Riley shouldve kept the QED online and just lived there.
Now he has to rejoin Fully Automated Contractually Gay Space Hyper-Capitalism, Sponsored By Alterra Corp.

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011

Psycho Knight posted:

This. I think it's spelled out somewhere very early on that the entire planet became Alterra's property as soon as their ship crashed on it and therefore "discovered" it. Riley doesn't have any leverage whatsoever, because in Alterra's mind he was purchasing the company's resources (they did warn him that he would be charged for all of it, after all).

I think he should have just left the gun platform online and enjoyed his new life on the planet. Or escaped to one of Alterra's competitors or something. Beats going back to Alterra and putting up with that mess.

Also, great work on the LP, DN. Congrats.

Plus, as the last surviving crewman of the Aurora he's its de facto captain, which makes him liable for the loss of the entire thing, the deaths of the crew and the extreme delay caused by the Aurora's failure to show up to build the phasegate on schedule...

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

BisbyWorl posted:

a planet that is ludicrously rich in resources (seriously, the guy racked up a trillion credit tab in like two weeks)

While the Crater IS ridiculously resource-rich, there's no way in heck hand-gathered minerals are worth that much unless either a. Inflation's so bad that the credit is worth about the same as the Zimbabwe Dollar, or b. Alterra's doing the same thing cops do with drug busts, which is artificially price it out at the highest recorded street value for the highest quality poo poo, so they show off baggies of stems and seeds worth "thousands" of "dollars"

One lump of Crater Titanium might be worth as much as Alterra says it is, to a space miner who needs it right this second because his ship is holed and venting atmo

Hi doublenegative, nice LP! Thank you for showing the game off!

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010

Phy posted:

While the Crater IS ridiculously resource-rich, there's no way in heck hand-gathered minerals are worth that much unless either a. Inflation's so bad that the credit is worth about the same as the Zimbabwe Dollar, or b. Alterra's doing the same thing cops do with drug busts, which is artificially price it out at the highest recorded street value for the highest quality poo poo, so they show off baggies of stems and seeds worth "thousands" of "dollars"

One lump of Crater Titanium might be worth as much as Alterra says it is, to a space miner who needs it right this second because his ship is holed and venting atmo

Hi doublenegative, nice LP! Thank you for showing the game off!

Maybe it's the licence fee for each use of the fabricator. Like those DRM lawsuits for more money than exists on the planet.

Also, thanks so much for this LP! This is exactly the sort of game that I'd never play for myself so I'm glad I got to see it!

azren
Feb 14, 2011

This LP has been a lot of fun, thanks for sharing it with us! I'm sad to see it go...

Mighty Steed
Apr 16, 2005
Nice horsey
Great LP, thank you.

Hadn't heard of this game before the LP, seconding calls to see Below Zero at some point.

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

you should have left Let's Play open for public view, Lowtax
Thanks for the good LP!

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

IMJack posted:

Seems like the animation to climb the ladder onto the Neptune launch platform is a lot slower than other ladder climb animations, and all the button-pressing to bring the rocket online is really slow as well. Deliberately, like your character is exhausted. That's the feeling I get anyway.

Thanks for the LP DoubleNegative! Lots of fun and sold at least one copy of this game.

It's pacing, and honestly I love it. It gives some real weight and gravity to the ending that might otherwise feel very tacked-on since you've now had the big climax with the sea emperor. The whole final sequence just feels great, from the slow boot of your rocket, to the skyrays giving you a wistful reminder of the world you're about to leave behind, to your last look at the planet, to a farewell from the sea emperor taking some companionship from you leaving the world at the same time as she does. It's really kind of beautiful.

Saying goodbye to the cuddlefish is cute too, though it really feels like they expected you to bond with it more, when there isn't really a lot of opportunity for that.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

Hi. I forgot your name. Whatever.
My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
Great LP, DN! I'm also interested in Below Zero, but it should probably be finished first since I hear whole story beats are being changed and the like.

Dreadwroth2
Feb 28, 2019

by Cyrano4747
For anyone who is going to be playing, you can tame a Stalker by feeding it fish. I know because I've done it, not that it really does anything but swim near you and not try to rip your face off but still.
Yay you showed my lil mesmer buddy!
I found one of their eggs and had a friendly one in my aquarium, along with a crabsquid and one of those electric eel thingies.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

You can also get a tame stalker by hatching one from an egg in alien containment. If you release it outside it won't be hostile. Same with anything else you hatch, although the electric creatures can still shock you passively.

Dreadwroth2
Feb 28, 2019

by Cyrano4747
Oh I forgot, theres a bit near the end where your character happens to look down and see the place Below Zero takes place, its a nice bit of connection.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Tenebrais posted:

You can also get a tame stalker by hatching one from an egg in alien containment. If you release it outside it won't be hostile. Same with anything else you hatch, although the electric creatures can still shock you passively.

'Tame' crabsquid will still freak the gently caress out when exposed to bright lights and fart your base offline.

I thought about building a base near the thermal vents under the Floating Island and quickly rethought it once a crabsquid got into a slapfight with the spotlights.

Chronische
Aug 7, 2012

inflatablefish posted:

Maybe it's the licence fee for each use of the fabricator. Like those DRM lawsuits for more money than exists on the planet.

Also, thanks so much for this LP! This is exactly the sort of game that I'd never play for myself so I'm glad I got to see it!

Would have actually been neat to have all your costs tracked and added up, so you could find a way to leave the planet with a profit, despite the heinous fees being levied upon you. Voluntary research (especially risky research of leviathans), discovery of alien materials and schematics, recovering the data for the fate of the Degasi, building reusable bases with reliable power supplies, and so on could give a suggested bounty by the emergency PDA, or something. High score runs of Subnautica!

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Chronische posted:

Would have actually been neat to have all your costs tracked and added up, so you could find a way to leave the planet with a profit, despite the heinous fees being levied upon you. Voluntary research (especially risky research of leviathans), discovery of alien materials and schematics, recovering the data for the fate of the Degasi, building reusable bases with reliable power supplies, and so on could give a suggested bounty by the emergency PDA, or something. High score runs of Subnautica!
A corporation giving you a fair chance would be extremely immersion-breaking.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Fun time, and I learned about stuff I never found myself! Should be good when Below Zero eventually comes out for real, if they learned from the issues here.

Mordekai
Sep 6, 2006

Salt in the wound eases the soul.
This was a really fun LP, actually the first one I have followed. Like a TV series from the time you couldn't binge-watch. Highly appreciated.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Thanks for the LP, DN!

That ending message from the Sea Emperor always gets me a little misty-eyed. We only knew her for a brief while, but she was a good girl.

Mind you, there's one thing that never occurred to me: technically you could build the Neptune without disabling the QEP, though I imagine most people rush over to get that done as soon as they can. Is launching without disabling the QEP simply not an option or is there a "whomp whomp, u got zappo'd, lol"-cutscene?

Guper
Jan 21, 2019
Great LP, got me to finish Subnautica finally after picking it up for free from Epic! Now that we're done, if anyone else enjoys speedruns, enjoy a crazy glitch speedrun that completes the game in ~40 mins. Also was set only a few days ago.

https://www.speedrun.com/subnautica/run/y4wq7x2m

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

"Being a fangame and not bound to a rating, Pokemon Reborn is able to expand more on topics such as death and the extreme dangers Pokemon could pose. These topics...are treated with the respect such a subject deserves."

Let's throw a Medicham into a volcano and make it give the T2 thumbs up!

PurpleXVI posted:

Thanks for the LP, DN!

That ending message from the Sea Emperor always gets me a little misty-eyed. We only knew her for a brief while, but she was a good girl.

Mind you, there's one thing that never occurred to me: technically you could build the Neptune without disabling the QEP, though I imagine most people rush over to get that done as soon as they can. Is launching without disabling the QEP simply not an option or is there a "whomp whomp, u got zappo'd, lol"-cutscene?

Unless they changed it in a patch, the AI/computer helper will give you a notice that you can't launch because the enforcement platform is still active. It needs to be disabled before the Neptune can launch.

Personally, I think it would have been funny if they allowed the player to launch anyway, then the QEP shoots down the Neptune and you crash land right back in the shallows or something and need to build the Neptune all over again.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
I'm glad everyone enjoyed the lp! I know I was down on it in the last several videos, but it's only the late game areas that arent as good. The rest of it is weirdly a great "need to chill out" game.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Chronische posted:

I don't think Riley has any special training in those areas, so that would make him an intern for those careers. However, credit towards completion of the internship will be given for any of those positions. After 60 more days of internship, he'll be eligible for transfer to an entry-level position in one of those fields.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Alterra is definitely the sort of nation-company in which ownership is everything, and any money you earn is purely magnanimously given by your employer when it is profitable for them.

Anything you do for your own survival is, of course, something you will do without any payment to incentivise you. So they won't. In fact, they can even charge you for surviving on their planet, you still will. So they do.

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

A man who has said too much

Tenebrais posted:

Alterra is definitely the sort of nation-company in which ownership is everything, and any money you earn is purely magnanimously given by your employer when it is profitable for them.

Anything you do for your own survival is, of course, something you will do without any payment to incentivise you. So they won't. In fact, they can even charge you for surviving on their planet, you still will. So they do.

Not sure why Alterra even puts lifepods on their ships, seems like an unnecessary expense as anyone smart enough to survive on an alien world is probably going to be smart enough not to come back.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
If they can technomagic up literal space rockets with a few raw materials, why are they even still using money anyways?

This is when Star Trek post-scarcity money rules should have become normalised

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

mikemil828 posted:

Not sure why Alterra even puts lifepods on their ships, seems like an unnecessary expense as anyone smart enough to survive on an alien world is probably going to be smart enough not to come back.

So they can pick up the employees and bill them for the destroyed ship, duh.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
Doesn't one of the background PDAs mention that Alterra's whole Thing hasn't actually been tried in a Federation court yet, and has a chance of falling apart if it is?

Wa11y
Jul 23, 2002

Did I say "cookies?" I meant, "Fire in your face!"
Just finished my game today, before watching your end video and uh....I built the rocket one step at a time as soon as I was able (in case anyone was wondering, if you build the rocket completely before curing the virus and turning off the QEP and you try to launch, it gives you a message that you can't launch while the QEP is active). I ended up with the platform and gantry sitting around forever, until I finally build the booster that sat around for a week, then capped off the rocket in one go after making it to the ILZ.

Also, I got a little disheartened on the game watching you go to the Underground River and Blue Tree Cove, since navigating without a map is difficult (playing on Xbox One, so no map mods) and I figured I wouldn't be able to complete the game at that point for fear of getting lost, but honestly? It wasn't THAT bad. I setup beacons at the entry to the Underground River, ILZ, and ALZ, then a base at the...base of the Blue Tree. With the Cyclops Sonar it was actually pretty easy to find my way, after the Underground River it gets pretty linear (I'd looked at a few maps that had multiple entry points listed to the underground parts, and I found 2 to the Underground River, but once I was in them, it wasn't so hard to navigate). Still spent a lot of time getting turned around on the surface though, not sure why I had such a hard time figuring out where everything is. I did get kind of disappointed with how much I didn't HAVE to explore, I don't think I touched the Dunes at all, and barely went into the Crags. I supposed, in hindsight, I could have dealt with that issue with more liberal use of beacons to mark common areas I went to, or centers/borders of various Biomes.

My 6 year old son cried when the Emperor Leviathan died, but then he perked up with the after launch message from her, so that was a nice send off.

In all, a really fun game with a solid learning curve. It's funny how at the start of the game an attack by a Reaper Leviathan will cost you your pants AND your Seamoth, but by the end of the game an encounter with a Sea Dragon Leviathan has you swimming at them with a flaming knife screaming obscenities trying to shank a bitch for threatening your Cyclops that is now your mobile home. With the Seamoth electric attack they become little more than an annoyance, you just drive by and zap them when they come at you, and keep on driving. Even mid game the Warpers started becoming more of an annoyance than a threat, since I would just carry the Repulsor gun and donk them away up to the surface with it. My kids got a laugh out of watching me challenge them with "How many times are we going to do this dance, old man?!" with the Repulsor cannon out. Heck, they'd see a Warper warp in and call for me to go donk it out of the ocean. Don't think I ever killed any, though.

Faylone
Feb 18, 2012

Phy posted:

The ion cubes are the big value items, I bet.

Guper posted:

Now that we're done, if anyone else enjoys speedruns, enjoy a crazy glitch speedrun that completes the game in ~40 mins. Also was set only a few days ago.

https://www.speedrun.com/subnautica/run/y4wq7x2m
HOT drat, launching the rocket exactly as the Aurora's quantum drive detonates could only be made better if it could be seen from a good third person view. Also watching the launch again, I note that Riley is really careful to guard against a potential impact from that plate that gets knocked loose. I bet worst case scenario it would have only broken his arm, not given a concussion.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Faylone posted:

HOT drat, launching the rocket exactly as the Aurora's quantum drive detonates could only be made better if it could be seen from a good third person view. Also watching the launch again, I note that Riley is really careful to guard against a potential impact from that plate that gets knocked loose. I bet worst case scenario it would have only broken his arm, not given a concussion.

It's also serves as a cute callback to the very beginning, where Riley did get knocked out. :v:

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

Faylone posted:

The ion cubes are the big value items, I bet.

And the tablets. Riley should have plenty of leverage so long as he can keep ahold of his PDA data.

I don't know much about Sub Zero beyond some intro footage that I understand is now out of date. Does it refer to Riley in any way? Is he a hero of the corporation or mentioned in logs or anything? You'd think Alterra would be smart enough to lionise someone who drops a planet full of alien ruins on their laps, if only to encourage others to report discoveries rather than taking the "lounge around and never go home" option.

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010

Loxbourne posted:

I don't know much about Sub Zero beyond some intro footage that I understand is now out of date. Does it refer to Riley in any way? Is he a hero of the corporation or mentioned in logs or anything? You'd think Alterra would be smart enough to lionise someone who drops a planet full of alien ruins on their laps, if only to encourage others to report discoveries rather than taking the "lounge around and never go home" option.

Now there's a way out for him - let them monetise his experiences and likeness, as motivational bullshit. The Adventures Of Ocean World Riley!

Best of all, if they accept perpetual rights as full recompense for the debt they know he'll never be able to repay, they get to call him the trillion-dollar discoverer or something. Just think, if you work hard for Alterra then you can too!*

*Small print available on request.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

Thank you for the great LP, really enjoyed it from start to end.