Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Thank you for the LP! While Subnautica is definitely not my kind of game (I don't like having to run around gathering resources and building stuff), I enjoyed witnessing it :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVDaIDY7upM

So this feels like Subnautica on earth but with less things that want to eat you and a bit more plot.
Also whales. :3:

Dreadwroth2
Feb 28, 2019

by Cyrano4747
So like Endless Ocean? Huh.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Great LP. Leviathans aside the whole thing was actually far less hostile than I expected for a survival game. I guess one last question is are time capsules a one time thing only or can the same one be found multiple times? Though I guess that would be incredibly hard to check.

Cooked Auto posted:

So this feels like Subnautica on earth but with less things that want to eat you and a bit more plot.

Dreadwroth2 posted:

Seems very much like it, yeah. Looks neat.

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012

Cooked Auto posted:

Oh this looks wonderful! Thanks for the heads-up!

And thanks DN, for showing off this little gem. It's rough around the edges, but it looks gorgeous, and has charm in spades, and I'm happy that more people got to experience it.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Dreadwroth2 posted:

Oh yeah, I forgot about that series despite watching the LPs. But the sub you see briefly did remind me very much of the Cyclops.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Well, turns out there actually is a real Cyclops sub. Even if it is considerably smaller, you can see the resemblance.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Great LP DN.

Subnautica grabbed me like few other games and watching your LP helped remind me why I loved it so much.

Gorgeous game, an actual plot, the crafting and harvesting is fun. And the terror of the bottomless ocean and what is lurking below is an extra cherry on top. :gonk:

I cannot wait for Below Zero to come out. I played a bit before they rewrote everything and it was a ton of fun to have a new ocean to discover. (RIP the Seamoth and Cyclops though :()

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

anilEhilated posted:

Well, turns out there actually is a real Cyclops sub. Even if it is considerably smaller, you can see the resemblance.

Yeah, right at the end of the credits, it mentions they used the Cyclops name under license from that company.

jboslund
Jan 27, 2009
Thanks for making the LP, it was very entertaining, chilling out in Thalassophobia Ocean is always a good time, and I finally got to see the back half of this great game.

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

If you love a flower which happens to be on a star, it is sweet at night to gaze at the sky. All the stars are a riot of flowers.
I assume the video on how Subnautica cultivates a sense of terror has been posted?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sz80210ipGc cw: jumpscare at the very end

I've only died to a reaper once, when deliberately chasing it for a scan and whiffing a stasis rifle shot, and yet - and yet - that loving roar is enough to make me turn 180 degrees, because it tells me "Here be jumpscares". It's really, really effective psychological conditioning, and it hinges on the game pulling most of its punches. You have to try pretty hard to die to anything in Subnautica, and thus, you are mostly hurt, and feel like you barely escaped alive.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Lunar Suite posted:

I assume the video on how Subnautica cultivates a sense of terror has been posted?

It has not and drat you for introducing me to dozens of interesting videos on game design when I should be working.

Dreadwroth2
Feb 28, 2019

by Cyrano4747
From a sound design perspective, the Reaper's roar is a very well-designed sound specifically intended to trigger a flight response in the player. I've noticed some fun sound shenanigans in Below Zero, but we'll eventually get there.
The devs seem to like pulling "red herring" sounds from mostly harmless fish like the Stalker, they sound way scarier than they are so you get all used to that, then they ratchet it up when you go to the Aurora and encounter the Shouty Boi.

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

If you love a flower which happens to be on a star, it is sweet at night to gaze at the sky. All the stars are a riot of flowers.
I heard the sounds for many of the bigger Leviathans are spliced together from real life predators, including Elephants, Bulls and lions, as well as some human screams? e.g. a big amalgamation of "stuff we have evolved to run the gently caress away from"

Below Zero... I want to like it, but so far it does not really distinguish itself from Subnautica 1.0. It should have been a DLC? Then again, it's hard to follow up such a well made game, so maybe the narrative - once in place - will be the crux.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Lunar Suite posted:

real life predators, including Elephants, Bulls

Vicious creatures. A hungry elephant can strip an entire giraffe carcass bare.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Tenebrais posted:

Vicious creatures. A hungry elephant can strip an entire giraffe carcass bare.

Dreadwroth2
Feb 28, 2019

by Cyrano4747

Lunar Suite posted:

Below Zero... I want to like it, but so far it does not really distinguish itself from Subnautica 1.0. It should have been a DLC? Then again, it's hard to follow up such a well made game, so maybe the narrative - once in place - will be the crux.
It's not done enough to really judge it yet, but the story is a lot different like you don't build a base and instead operate out of the seatruck as far as I know so it's probably going to be a lot more plot-heavy.

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

Dreadwroth2 posted:

It's not done enough to really judge it yet, but the story is a lot different like you don't build a base and instead operate out of the seatruck as far as I know so it's probably going to be a lot more plot-heavy.

You can take my obsessive base building out of my cold dead hands.
Every base fully autonomous with water and food.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Dreadwroth2 posted:

That actually sounds pretty drat cool. One of my biggest complaints with Subnautica was how underutilized the Cyclops was when it came to actual exploration due to how late in the game you generally build it.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
Yeah a big gripe about the Cyclops is that its really cool, and I fought hard to maneuver it into the caverns and park it outside the Containment Facility, but watching OP blaze through them in the Prawn made me rethink my decision.

Dreadwroth2
Feb 28, 2019

by Cyrano4747
I think the devs are having issues with making the Seatruck work properly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
Some of the best fun you can have with a prawn is putting two grapples on it and then go swinging around the caverns like Spider-Man! I highly recommend trying it out if you haven't.