Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
You also can scarcely believe how hard it is to find one's bearings and orient oneself underwater.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

That's where that map mod helps out.

also quick non-spoiler tip: don't do what I did and go visit the Aurora Immediately once you make the rad suit, that's not the only hazard.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

By popular demand posted:

That's where that map mod helps out.

also quick non-spoiler tip: don't do what I did and go visit the Aurora Immediately once you make the rad suit, that's not the only hazard.

:coolfish:

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010
Is it possible to get to the Aurora before the reactor goes off? 'Cos if I saw that two-hour warning I'd be thinking that's my deadline to get there and defuse it or whatever.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

My only thought so far has been "Why didn't you raid the Aurora's wreck for supplies?" :raise:
I know it's a gameplay conceit but it's still weird when you have a giant reserve of supplies within sight that you don't do anything with.
Unless that is handwaved with just radiation from the reactor, which makes me wonder if the companion AI isn't a bit of a dick.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

you may want to read my previous post on this very page.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Ah. :doh:

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
#5 - Crash Site

How about a new video for a new week?

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Works for me, it gives me plenty of time to discover things on my own before you show the more experienced approach.
So I'm actually playing along.

Today's lesson: if you crash a submersible into your base HARD you get leaks! :downs:

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
the locker placing reminded me of the second main reason I stopped playing - god, things just do not want to line up nicely

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

There's a snap to grid mod, though I haven't tried it.

E:

https://www.nexusmods.com/subnautica/mods/427?tab=images

By popular demand fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Apr 6, 2020

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
I'm a little surprised you didn't have a run in with the beast that was making you so nervous, most players I've seen end up running into Mr Aggro Happy pretty early on.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Apr 6, 2020

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

DoubleNegative posted:

#5 - Crash Site

How about a new video for a new week?

I hoping there was going to an encounter in this episode.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Yup, I was up for a rude awakening today when I thought I was nowhere near the zone and Mr.Happy nearly crushed my seamoth in its jaws before I managed to flee.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Perfectly normal sounds in the friendly ocean

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Some Numbers posted:

I hoping there was going to an encounter in this episode.

It doesn't come across in the youtube version very well. But I'm going to post this screenshot from the raws. It's from the last two seconds of the video.

The Welcome Fish

Also there's like 8 of them in the crash zone. :stonk:

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

This game is really amazing in the diversity of the fauna and flora you'll see
speaking as someone who hasn't explored much beyond the LP, I already saw some beautiful things. And a few that fall squarely in the gently caress the ocean category.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
It's also hilarious that people familiar with this game know about Mr. Happy the Welcome Fish well enough that I don't even have to refer to it by the actual name of its species.

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

God those Stalkers were ballsy as gently caress going into the mountains there to pick up fragments. Almost as ballsy as you. That place terrifies me.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

DoubleNegative posted:

It doesn't come across in the youtube version very well. But I'm going to post this screenshot from the raws. It's from the last two seconds of the video.

The Welcome Fish

Also there's like 8 of them in the crash zone. :stonk:

I heard it, but I didn't see it when you turned around. Thanks for the screenshot!

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Space Ghost was wrong, a knife is really not that great of a weapon.
Not against the fist sized bitey fish that attacked the OP and not against a sandshark, and as for meaner things, you don't need to supply them with a toothpick.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Space Ghost was wrong, a knife is really not that great of a weapon.
Not against the fist sized bitey fish that attacked the OP and not against a sandshark, and as for meaner things, you don't need to supply them with a toothpick.
I'm kinda curious to see what the game allows you to do against some of the bigger predators out there. My solution to everything bigger than a stalker was to run the hell away and quitely return after a while hoping the fish in question lost interest.
And there are items that look like they could be used to deter wildlife, I just never bothered with them.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
I mean you can get alarmingly far against a lot of stuff with just the knife if you're bloody-minded enough to pop out the hatch screaming in rage like that one spear fisherman whenever something goes clang against your seamoth.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

I don't think that anyone made a cattleprod type weapon mod for the game which is a real shame, *I* could figure out a crude cattleprod and I don't have a miracle replicator machine at home.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

I don't think that anyone made a cattleprod type weapon mod for the game which is a real shame, *I* could figure out a crude cattleprod and I don't have a miracle replicator machine at home.

Electricity and water are generally considered a "bad combination"

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Oh good, I was worried our undersea game wouldn't have any Giant Undersea Nopes.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Crane Fist posted:

Electricity and water are generally considered a "bad combination"

A lot less silly than you may think.
Also it's just a game.

Mordekai
Sep 6, 2006

Salt in the wound eases the soul.
Loving this LP. Really nice touch with the text underneath.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
I never went beyond the Aurora myself in that particular direction because "hmmm yeah okay everything's barren and I see friends in the distance every time I go there!" but I'd love to see it explored a bit more later in the LP, since supposedly I missed some interesting stuff that way.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

An electromagnetic field is a very different beast from the direct current application of a cattle prod, where the step potential from basically spaffing voltage into water will seize your muscles and cook your organs on a low heat. I'm on quarantine lockdown and I'm spending a lot of that time doing refresher training paperwork for my utility qualifications so I'm incredibly mad about incorrect electrical applications right now!!!!

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

PurpleXVI posted:

I never went beyond the Aurora myself in that particular direction because "hmmm yeah okay everything's barren and I see friends in the distance every time I go there!" but I'd love to see it explored a bit more later in the LP, since supposedly I missed some interesting stuff that way.

I'd love to set up some scouting expeditions to the obscure corners of the game world once we're done with the story. There's not very much to see in the Crash Zone, though. What little we saw in today's video was like 99% of what you see: murky water, desolation, wreckage, storage crates, and technology fragments.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Crane Fist posted:

An electromagnetic field is a very different beast from the direct current application of a cattle prod, where the step potential from basically spaffing voltage into water will seize your muscles and cook your organs on a low heat. I'm on quarantine lockdown and I'm spending a lot of that time doing refresher training paperwork for my utility qualifications so I'm incredibly mad about incorrect electrical applications right now!!!!

Noted.
Now how about you just slip into creative mode and just build yourself an extravagant base? I think you could use the tinkering to release some pressure.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
I can't believe you got that close to the Aurora's thrusters. I never go there in my playthroughs after FUN occurred.

Wish somebody managed to mod in that underwater Russian assault rifle. I wouldn't help much but it would make me feel better during underwater excursions.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Noted.
Now how about you just slip into creative mode and just build yourself an extravagant base? I think you could use the tinkering to release some pressure.

Yeah this game really is the perfect mix of hideously stressful and very zen, the contrast between diving into pitch black holes full of nameless horrors and building a sprawling, elaborate base where all the lockers are perfectly placed is so well balanced

This LP made me want to mess about in it some more and it really is very good. My 3 year old has been hanging over my shoulder naming the fish and insisting I'm not allowed to use the seamoth because it scares them

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007
You really need to make that rebreather, seems like you're right at the point in the game where you start spending time at depth.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

If you're stupid brave enough to go looking the crash zone is one of the best places to find metal scrap, especially in the early game. Even poking around the edges can quickly fill your inventory.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
I'm actually surprised that the dip into the Crash Zone didn't have that encounter. I usually avoid the rear of the Aurora until I have the Cyclops because there's always a sea satan hanging out around there making it a pain to loot and scoot. Compared to the left side where it's not too hard to avoid that welcome fish.

Cooked Auto posted:

My only thought so far has been "Why didn't you raid the Aurora's wreck for supplies?" :raise:
It's entirely possible to make a radiation suit before the Aurora explodes. The reason you don't go there before that happens? There's nothing worth going there for. It's mostly quartz, titanium and some other, later materials where the crash zone borders another zone.
When the Aurora explodes is when a bunch of mini-wrecks with more boxes show up and it's worth going to the crash zone to loot all the pre-made batteries and power cells you can make off with.
You also can't get into or 'solve' the Aurora wreck without 4 tools: the Fire Extinguisher (optional since the wreck has a few spares in it,) Repair Tool, Laser Cutter and Propulsion Cannon.

Fish Noise posted:

I mean you can get alarmingly far against a lot of stuff with just the knife if you're bloody-minded enough to pop out the hatch screaming in rage like that one spear fisherman whenever something goes clang against your seamoth.
The knife is actually the best weapon in the game, in terms of lethality. There are some things in the game that you'd think would do more damage but no, they don't. The only thing that does is high speed impacts and those are either just as damaging to you or insane drains on your power.

PurpleXVI posted:

The right (south) side of the Aurora isn't interesting. It's basically up against the map border. Beyond the front end isn't that much better either really, all of the cool loot is behind the engines and on the plateau the wreck sits on.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Shei-kun posted:

Oh good, I was worried our undersea game wouldn't have any Giant Undersea Nopes.

Just wait. There's a while whole ton of Nopefish around. If we are lucky, we will get to see what lives in The Void.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

You guys are hyping up my (very) mild ocean phobia and it better not disappoint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

This may be a legit tool to treat mild phobia, just don't rush out of the shallows unprepared.